Monaghan Forum

McKenna Cup 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Just read that about Niall Kearns best of luck to him is right. More important things in life than football health being one so hopefully he gets back to full health and playing. Himself and Hughes missing league or most of it are big losses but Cavan is the big focus and getting over that and back to an Ulster Final down the road has to be big aim for this team. We done well in super 8s last year but we were v fortunate with qualifier draws before that so ulster important this summer.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1317 - 11/01/2019 16:18:10    2156622

Link

All the best to Niall Kearns with his recovery. Fantastic footballer. Didn't put a step wrong last year and has potential to become one of the best in his position. Hopefully he will be back stronger than ever.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1013 - 11/01/2019 22:56:01    2156680

Link

Is k Hughes injured or where is he at ??
Best of luck in recovery to naill keirans fantastic footballer what a debut season he had . Hopefully gets back to full health and can get back to the ball when he's ready.
From the 2 McKenna cup games I was at i think we have a few young lads coming on but as another poster said it's hard to judge when there is a very experimental team out there. If young Frank or kerr were put in with a full team I'd say there would do alright. And up front one of brannigan, Freeman and ohanlon would be a option plus I think mcginn is a cert I hope he gets plenty of league action. I'd have him in the full forward line over Jack anyway.
It's goin to be a though and interesting league and i can't wait for it .

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 107 - 12/01/2019 21:46:54    2156773

Link

Replying To farneygael:  "Is k Hughes injured or where is he at ??
Best of luck in recovery to naill keirans fantastic footballer what a debut season he had . Hopefully gets back to full health and can get back to the ball when he's ready.
From the 2 McKenna cup games I was at i think we have a few young lads coming on but as another poster said it's hard to judge when there is a very experimental team out there. If young Frank or kerr were put in with a full team I'd say there would do alright. And up front one of brannigan, Freeman and ohanlon would be a option plus I think mcginn is a cert I hope he gets plenty of league action. I'd have him in the full forward line over Jack anyway.
It's goin to be a though and interesting league and i can't wait for it ."
Will Mealiff not deserve a start as well ?

So if Kerr, Mealiff, McGinn and probably Garland got starting roles in the league with O'Hanlon, Bannigan & Freeman as impact subs...then that should be counted as progress !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 87 - 13/01/2019 20:30:02    2156940

Link

Replying To Shelbourne1:  "Will Mealiff not deserve a start as well ?

So if Kerr, Mealiff, McGinn and probably Garland got starting roles in the league with O'Hanlon, Bannigan & Freeman as impact subs...then that should be counted as progress !"
Mealiff, Freeman, Bannigan and Kerr aren't good enough to be starting or coming on . OHanlan is a great player he should be giving a run in the league was Monaghans best player so fare.

UlsterChamp (Monaghan) - Posts: 27 - 14/01/2019 18:23:02    2157107

Link

Replying To UlsterChamp:  "Mealiff, Freeman, Bannigan and Kerr aren't good enough to be starting or coming on . OHanlan is a great player he should be giving a run in the league was Monaghans best player so fare."
I wasn't at any McKenna Cup games so I can't offer 1st hand opinion but Kerr was ready last year only for his disciplinary problem.....Garland was also excellent last year in some games (Mayo at home) while Mealiff undoubtedly has the talent but maybe too soon for him physically as a back/midfielder.
McGinn must be a definite starter though while O'Hanlon is the great prospect most of us are talking about, although I don't think he actually scored in McKenna ?
Hopefully, I'm wrong but I don't think Freeman will add to what we have while Bannigan, although very young, has yet to impress against tougher opposition.

What about young O'Toole from Scotstown & Colm Lennon Ballybay who had a few outings ?

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 87 - 14/01/2019 20:09:56    2157128

Link

Replying To UlsterChamp:  "Mealiff, Freeman, Bannigan and Kerr aren't good enough to be starting or coming on . OHanlan is a great player he should be giving a run in the league was Monaghans best player so fare."
This is an unhelpful comment. Remember that these are young men from "your own" county who put in huge time and effort for 9 months of the year for our entertainment.

Young Mealiff was one of our best performers in the McKenna cup, as was Barry Kerr. If these players are not good enough, who do you suggest Management call up? Freeman and Finlay are retired I'm afraid. The alternative is to stick with the 18 players that we used fro the duration of the S8 the semi against Tyrone ..... and that eventually caught up with us.

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 43 - 15/01/2019 11:06:04    2157236

Link

Any Ideas of possible team for next week. Based on mc kenna cup my predictions for malachys team would be given his loyalty:

Beggan
R.wylie
Mc carron
Kieran Duffy
Kerr
Walshe
Boyle
O connell
D. Hughes
T.Kerr
Kelly
Mc carron
Mc Ginn
O hanlon
D. ward

I beleive he will give Thomas Kerr another chance given that he played well in Armagh and Possibly try mc carron at full back. It will be a toss up between O hanlon and Garland and he will go for O hanlon given his ability to beat his man. Is Mcginn going to be occupied with UCD ? If so then Mc manus will be needed to play. Dessie ward if fit may make an appearance and so may mc adam. All depends on the college commitments but I believe that the above team will be close to the starting team.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 83 - 20/01/2019 12:40:06    2158373

Link