Mayo Forum

GAA Player emigration- Getting better or worse?

(Oldest Posts First)

I left Ireland almost 10 years ago when the economy collapsed, i still follow Mayo GAA from overseas and i have seen clubs amalgamating and big clubs slip down the leagues and from Senior to borderline Junior, would be interested to see what the reasoning is and also is there many players returning since the economy has started to pick up again? Thanks

Panunipa (Mayo) - Posts: 103 - 01/01/2017 03:20:50    1942525

Link

I'm afraid the only place the economy is picking up is in politicians heads, rural counties are in an awful mess, clubs amalgamating or folding, unable to field underage teams etc, we are finished unless some political heads stand up and do something, create employment where people will return west, we hear of homelessness yet thousands of empty house in rural Ireland, ghost estates that need to be finished off, do a role reversal of the land commission role in the 1950s where families moved from the west to the east, now send the east to the west and keep our schools open and over time build our population up

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1389 - 01/01/2017 14:27:49    1942555

Link

If your doing ok where you are Panunipa, stay there & enjoy it. Decades ago I did my stint for years abroad & came home & am still paying taxes with lots of new ones to keep me working like our LPT etc. only kids & grandkids keep me here. Only certain sectors of Irish society doing well & it's mainly in the greater Dublin area. The West is still suffering & most of the jobs are filled by cheap labour brought in from Eastern Europe. Yes the clubs are suffering as young people are still emigrating as there aren't enough jobs & salaries for these young people with third level degrees are crap, they have greater opportunities in other countries. Jobbridge was your first route as a third level graduate here. Our nurses are a great example, they treated them like crap for so long they all left for better reward abroad & now they are so short of them despite all the incentives they can't get them back, even new graduates leave. Many workers are heading to the greater Dublin area as well. So economically things haven't changed much but the Gaa themselves are mostly to blame for the decline in the club game. Everything now revolves around the cash cow & glory that is Inter County. Clubs & club players are sh#te on the shoe to the Gaa. Those working in Dublin won't travel back when they don't know from week to week when they will play or travel back & the game is called off, they get sick of this & drop out. It's the same with club players who spend inordinate amount of time training & games adhoc. There is now a massive dropout rate from Minor level on in Gaa. In fact the Gaa of all sporting bodies in Ireland has the greatest drop out rate of all, a fact confirmed in an ESRI report from a few years ago. Instead of dismissing the report as the Gaa did they should have been investigating why & taking action to reverse it. No the Gaa is also responsible for the decline all along the Western seaboard with the exception of a few clubs in higher populated urban areas that dominate due to numbers. Even there the conversion from minor to adult player is a massive crisis. Unfortunately the Gaa has gone from being games focused to power & politically motivated. Games, in particular club games are what made the Gaa great, not 70 minutes on Sky TV. Massive review of all command structures & coaching which has failed miserably is needed but will never happen as the Gaa don't do change or critical analysis & review.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 886 - 02/01/2017 17:52:35    1942659

Link

Was in Castlebar last week and the place is frankly a ghost town, so I can't imagine how the smaller population centres in the county are faring. As an emigrant looking in from the outside, it seems that the recovery line that the Government are peddling doesn't stretch far beyond Dublin and its commuter belt. Home to work? No thanks, Enda.

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 1676 - 02/01/2017 20:25:24    1942683

Link

Most successful clubs are from very small towns, like Corafin in Galway, Kilcoo in down, like Sloughneil in Derry and Ballintubber in Mayo, big town with large populations dont always lead to a good team or club.

culmore (None) - Posts: 1365 - 02/01/2017 20:40:57    1942689

Link

Replying To culmore:  "Most successful clubs are from very small towns, like Corafin in Galway, Kilcoo in down, like Sloughneil in Derry and Ballintubber in Mayo, big town with large populations dont always lead to a good team or club."
Nemo Rangers, James Stephens, Portlaoise, St. Vincent's, Dr. Crokes? Plenty of successful townie teams as well, to be fair.

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 1676 - 03/01/2017 20:00:24    1942872

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "If your doing ok where you are Panunipa, stay there & enjoy it. Decades ago I did my stint for years abroad & came home & am still paying taxes with lots of new ones to keep me working like our LPT etc. only kids & grandkids keep me here. Only certain sectors of Irish society doing well & it's mainly in the greater Dublin area. The West is still suffering & most of the jobs are filled by cheap labour brought in from Eastern Europe. Yes the clubs are suffering as young people are still emigrating as there aren't enough jobs & salaries for these young people with third level degrees are crap, they have greater opportunities in other countries. Jobbridge was your first route as a third level graduate here. Our nurses are a great example, they treated them like crap for so long they all left for better reward abroad & now they are so short of them despite all the incentives they can't get them back, even new graduates leave. Many workers are heading to the greater Dublin area as well. So economically things haven't changed much but the Gaa themselves are mostly to blame for the decline in the club game. Everything now revolves around the cash cow & glory that is Inter County. Clubs & club players are sh#te on the shoe to the Gaa. Those working in Dublin won't travel back when they don't know from week to week when they will play or travel back & the game is called off, they get sick of this & drop out. It's the same with club players who spend inordinate amount of time training & games adhoc. There is now a massive dropout rate from Minor level on in Gaa. In fact the Gaa of all sporting bodies in Ireland has the greatest drop out rate of all, a fact confirmed in an ESRI report from a few years ago. Instead of dismissing the report as the Gaa did they should have been investigating why & taking action to reverse it. No the Gaa is also responsible for the decline all along the Western seaboard with the exception of a few clubs in higher populated urban areas that dominate due to numbers. Even there the conversion from minor to adult player is a massive crisis. Unfortunately the Gaa has gone from being games focused to power & politically motivated. Games, in particular club games are what made the Gaa great, not 70 minutes on Sky TV. Massive review of all command structures & coaching which has failed miserably is needed but will never happen as the Gaa don't do change or critical analysis & review."
Thank you very much for that detailed reply,thats a very interesting read yet very sad to hear though

Panunipa (Mayo) - Posts: 103 - 03/01/2017 21:44:35    1942901

Link

Replying To Panunipa:  "Thank you very much for that detailed reply,thats a very interesting read yet very sad to hear though"
Westport seems to be the only town in Mayo really doing well from what people back there are telling me.

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 1676 - 04/01/2017 21:50:41    1943128

Link

Mmoc DNA absolutely agree with you.the club scene is like the accident and emergency units in this country,no one knows what is going on and no one knows how to fix it. One solution, cut back the internet county fixture list

rober (Mayo) - Posts: 206 - 05/01/2017 13:20:13    1943224

Link

Replying To Panunipa:  "Thank you very much for that detailed reply,thats a very interesting read yet very sad to hear though"
Throw in the fact that shopping in Ballina,Castlebar,Westport is expensive. Eating out is expensive and many eatieries are mediocre with menus lacking imagination and value for money.Renting a property is expensive. During various festivals prices are pumped up. Roads are poor.The speed of broadband is poor. The local papers in cahoots with auctioneers keep pushing house prices up artifically,even though real experts and economists give realistic price forecasts. On the plus side thank God for Lidl, and Aldi. Our government are all Trumped up about a bowl of shamrock when they should be touching the forelock and carrying a begging bowl to the White House. No information forthcoming concerning Brexit and the perils that await us.

Brinsley Swartz (Mayo) - Posts: 2225 - 04/02/2017 15:27:17    1951818

Link

Replying To Brinsley Swartz:  "Throw in the fact that shopping in Ballina,Castlebar,Westport is expensive. Eating out is expensive and many eatieries are mediocre with menus lacking imagination and value for money.Renting a property is expensive. During various festivals prices are pumped up. Roads are poor.The speed of broadband is poor. The local papers in cahoots with auctioneers keep pushing house prices up artifically,even though real experts and economists give realistic price forecasts. On the plus side thank God for Lidl, and Aldi. Our government are all Trumped up about a bowl of shamrock when they should be touching the forelock and carrying a begging bowl to the White House. No information forthcoming concerning Brexit and the perils that await us."
Clearly a person who knows the price of everything.

driver (Mayo) - Posts: 14 - 15/02/2017 19:38:32    1957224

Link