Mayo Forum

Mayo V Armagh

(Oldest Posts First)

The toughest team in IMO, but home advantage is great. I don't know if we can get through this one but if we do we are back in business bigtime...

martinjoe (Mayo) - Posts: 413 - 24/06/2019 09:18:25    2199633

Link

Better than Tyrone but with Mayo's record in McHale Park then who knows .

Its time for Mayo to start improving the McHale Park Record anyway . Might as well start now .

blinding (Mayo) - Posts: 50 - 24/06/2019 12:44:46    2199841

Link

We looked very creaky at the back on Saturday, Keith's miles on the hurling and football clock starting to show as bit. Colm Boyle walking the thin disciplinary line too much, had a good game but I wish he would calm down a bit. Probably no change in defence, possibly Plunkett for Boyle. For me Diarmuid is wasted in midfield. Even if Cillian is back Loftus earns a place.I'd go with this 15 :

Clarke
Barrett, Harrison, Higgins
Keegan, Plunkett, Durcan
Vaughan, O'Shea
McDonagh, Loftus, Diarmuid
Cillian, Coen, Andy

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 5498 - 24/06/2019 19:04:08    2200161

Link

Replying To GreenandRed:  "We looked very creaky at the back on Saturday, Keith's miles on the hurling and football clock starting to show as bit. Colm Boyle walking the thin disciplinary line too much, had a good game but I wish he would calm down a bit. Probably no change in defence, possibly Plunkett for Boyle. For me Diarmuid is wasted in midfield. Even if Cillian is back Loftus earns a place.I'd go with this 15 :

Clarke
Keegan, Plunkett, Durcan
Vaughan, O'Shea
McDonagh, Loftus, Diarmuid
Cillian, Coen, Andy"
Been saying the same... our FB line is expected to go man-for-man in a lot of space what with Mayo pressing forward and this is high risk as we've seen against the Rossies and Down. If you give a skilled pacey forward space to just beat one man you're going to get some of the spectacular individual goals and chances we seem to be leaking. Armagh are a side with forwards who'll exploit this space and God knows what would happen if we gave that sort of room to a Clifford or a Mannion.

With DOC out I'm thinking we'll be lining out as follows:

Clarke
Keegan, Boyle, Durcan
Vaughan, O'Shea
McDonagh, Doherty, McLoughlin,
Loftus, Coen, Andy

Cillian to be a bench option and possible that Loftus and Doherty might swap positions.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1991 - 27/06/2019 14:57:51    2201734

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "Been saying the same... our FB line is expected to go man-for-man in a lot of space what with Mayo pressing forward and this is high risk as we've seen against the Rossies and Down. If you give a skilled pacey forward space to just beat one man you're going to get some of the spectacular individual goals and chances we seem to be leaking. Armagh are a side with forwards who'll exploit this space and God knows what would happen if we gave that sort of room to a Clifford or a Mannion.

With DOC out I'm thinking we'll be lining out as follows:

Clarke
Keegan, Boyle, Durcan
Vaughan, O'Shea
McDonagh, Doherty, McLoughlin,
Loftus, Coen, Andy

Cillian to be a bench option and possible that Loftus and Doherty might swap positions."
You're probably pretty close with that line-up but just don't see what Doherty and McLoughlin have done to be constant starters.

ponga (Mayo) - Posts: 478 - 27/06/2019 15:29:12    2201754

Link

Replying To ponga:  "You're probably pretty close with that line-up but just don't see what Doherty and McLoughlin have done to be constant starters."
Who else would you play as linkmen Ponga?.. the two lads pick up a lot of dirty ball and move it forward. It's unspectacular stuff, but the likes of Kerry are struggling for the want of a player or two with those abilities. Maybe neither has been at his best so far this championship but we could say the same about a few more. Hopefully Saturday will see them all pick things up.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1991 - 27/06/2019 22:09:44    2201909

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "Who else would you play as linkmen Ponga?.. the two lads pick up a lot of dirty ball and move it forward. It's unspectacular stuff, but the likes of Kerry are struggling for the want of a player or two with those abilities. Maybe neither has been at his best so far this championship but we could say the same about a few more. Hopefully Saturday will see them all pick things up."
Fergal Boland for one. Gets on the ball more than either of the other two and is more constructive. I have no problem with Jason or Kevin and when in form they are terrific but the word is "form" and at the moment they are both struggling.

ponga (Mayo) - Posts: 478 - 28/06/2019 08:13:55    2201990

Link

Replying To ponga:  "Fergal Boland for one. Gets on the ball more than either of the other two and is more constructive. I have no problem with Jason or Kevin and when in form they are terrific but the word is "form" and at the moment they are both struggling."
You might be right about Fergal Boland getting in. I suppose it depends on what JH is looking for. Jason's a strong tackler and if they're going to keep using the high press on Saturday then I can't see him being left out. Kevin Mc's role is more similar to Fergal's, so I agree it'd be a form call there. We'll know soon enough. I detect less worry about Armagh than there was about going to Newry, but I think Mayo will be well tested here. Any team which takes out Monaghan has the capabilities to do the same to us. If our lads perform (cut out soft scores and avoid a wide-fest) we should win, but the performance will need to be a notch or two higher than it was in the previous two games.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1991 - 28/06/2019 16:59:46    2202134

Link

Interesting selection. Could be that for this game the high press won't be used so much, so we won't be as open at the back.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1991 - 28/06/2019 18:47:21    2202166

Link

Cillian with the rest of the squad and togged, nice breeze here in McHale Park (Elvery's). General feeling from ex Co footballers is that Mayo win this with a bit to spare or just forget about it. I'd be inclined to agree with that and this stuff about a win being a win doesn't cut any ice on this occasion. Would like to see a 7/10 point win, but nothing would surprise me.

davittsman (Mayo) - Posts: 323 - 29/06/2019 18:21:02    2202440

Link

Replying To davittsman:  "Cillian with the rest of the squad and togged, nice breeze here in McHale Park (Elvery's). General feeling from ex Co footballers is that Mayo win this with a bit to spare or just forget about it. I'd be inclined to agree with that and this stuff about a win being a win doesn't cut any ice on this occasion. Would like to see a 7/10 point win, but nothing would surprise me."
A 7-10 win was there to had, but for the third game running Mayo conceded an early soft goal, and then for the second game running decided to self-destruct after getting into the driver's seat. The team is visibly struggling for form, a bit like the backdoor campaign of 2016 which eventually ignited in the replay against the Rossies. But like last year the injuries are piling up and even though JH has definitely deepened the squad, especially the forwards, it'll probably have to better 2016 for sheer resilience for us to get to the S8s.

The same players have been showing up game after game, with AOS and Darren Coen standing out. Lee, who might be out for weeks if not longer, was also showing great form, and in this game this evening Kevin Mc really made a difference when he came in. Paddy Durcan also deserves a mention... he's pure leadership material.

Good to have Cillian back, although Loftus has done well and McDonagh looks like a starter going forward.... he's a very confident lad.

Will anyone want to avoid us in Monday's draw though? Whoever we get will believe they have a big chance, so it's not going to be comfortable no matter who we get. Will we click in time (I think there are still enough good players there, including the newer guys)? We can still field a potentially very strong team, but some of the reserves will be getting their chance to shine next weekend.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1991 - 29/06/2019 23:32:04    2202629

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "A 7-10 win was there to had, but for the third game running Mayo conceded an early soft goal, and then for the second game running decided to self-destruct after getting into the driver's seat. The team is visibly struggling for form, a bit like the backdoor campaign of 2016 which eventually ignited in the replay against the Rossies. But like last year the injuries are piling up and even though JH has definitely deepened the squad, especially the forwards, it'll probably have to better 2016 for sheer resilience for us to get to the S8s.

The same players have been showing up game after game, with AOS and Darren Coen standing out. Lee, who might be out for weeks if not longer, was also showing great form, and in this game this evening Kevin Mc really made a difference when he came in. Paddy Durcan also deserves a mention... he's pure leadership material.

Good to have Cillian back, although Loftus has done well and McDonagh looks like a starter going forward.... he's a very confident lad.

Will anyone want to avoid us in Monday's draw though? Whoever we get will believe they have a big chance, so it's not going to be comfortable no matter who we get. Will we click in time (I think there are still enough good players there, including the newer guys)? We can still field a potentially very strong team, but some of the reserves will be getting their chance to shine next weekend."
It's never good when your goalkeeper has to save the day and this is happening far too often. Clarke's a great shot stopper and commands his area but he lets himself and the team down on his kickout strategy and this could be very, very, costly as tougher games come up. HE'S NOW A TARGET FOR OTHER TEAMS and who can blame them? However, nothing Horan can do as he's the best of what we have in my opinion. Our full back line as a unit were caught out yesterday, again, they just don't attack the ball but it's an easy fix in my opinion. Lee was a loss yesterday although he's not back to full fitness yet, but getting there. His injury may not be too serious, if it is it will be a major problem. Stayed on a bit after the game, spoke to a few players and noticed Aidan O' Shea had his foot in some sort of a contraption, not good to look at. No, I didn't ask what was wrong but he was certainly showing the effects of a very hard game in which he performed well considering he was mostly on his own against a tough Armagh sector, he did run out of steam in the last 10 mins but wasn't a lot any manager could have done about that, it's now an area that needs urgent attention. Yes, we won the match and considering the injuries coming into it and during the game it was probably one of Mayo's better performances of late. We could have done with a weeks break but that's not to be and it's all hands to the wheel again next w'kend. I think at this stage we all know we're not going to win an All Ireland this year but Horan is blooding players and it will take a while. There's a couple of teams we don't need to play next week but I think Meath would suit us down to the ground and there's unfinished business to sort too. In any case it will be one of 4 and we don't have to fear any of them and it's giving great experience to the younger players for future tussles.
About the pitch? It looked well but walking out on it afterwards there's a huge amount of special sand underneath, i'm sure it would pull the daylights out of calves and glutes and no wonder both teams were totally done for at end. It has become a totally different surface than what it was some years ago. Nice to look at but wouldn't like to have to go flat out on it for a serious game. Also, would be nice to know the €Euro take for yesterdays game. Hearing figure of €600,000.00 + being mentioned. That's a hell of a lot of money and fair play that the ref didn't play another minute or two for a draw. He could have and money talks for AI reffing purposes??????????? Anyway, he didn't and he wasn't what we might call anti Mayo either!

davittsman (Mayo) - Posts: 323 - 30/06/2019 12:38:39    2202813

Link

Replying To davittsman:  "It's never good when your goalkeeper has to save the day and this is happening far too often. Clarke's a great shot stopper and commands his area but he lets himself and the team down on his kickout strategy and this could be very, very, costly as tougher games come up. HE'S NOW A TARGET FOR OTHER TEAMS and who can blame them? However, nothing Horan can do as he's the best of what we have in my opinion. Our full back line as a unit were caught out yesterday, again, they just don't attack the ball but it's an easy fix in my opinion. Lee was a loss yesterday although he's not back to full fitness yet, but getting there. His injury may not be too serious, if it is it will be a major problem. Stayed on a bit after the game, spoke to a few players and noticed Aidan O' Shea had his foot in some sort of a contraption, not good to look at. No, I didn't ask what was wrong but he was certainly showing the effects of a very hard game in which he performed well considering he was mostly on his own against a tough Armagh sector, he did run out of steam in the last 10 mins but wasn't a lot any manager could have done about that, it's now an area that needs urgent attention. Yes, we won the match and considering the injuries coming into it and during the game it was probably one of Mayo's better performances of late. We could have done with a weeks break but that's not to be and it's all hands to the wheel again next w'kend. I think at this stage we all know we're not going to win an All Ireland this year but Horan is blooding players and it will take a while. There's a couple of teams we don't need to play next week but I think Meath would suit us down to the ground and there's unfinished business to sort too. In any case it will be one of 4 and we don't have to fear any of them and it's giving great experience to the younger players for future tussles.
About the pitch? It looked well but walking out on it afterwards there's a huge amount of special sand underneath, i'm sure it would pull the daylights out of calves and glutes and no wonder both teams were totally done for at end. It has become a totally different surface than what it was some years ago. Nice to look at but wouldn't like to have to go flat out on it for a serious game. Also, would be nice to know the €Euro take for yesterdays game. Hearing figure of €600,000.00 + being mentioned. That's a hell of a lot of money and fair play that the ref didn't play another minute or two for a draw. He could have and money talks for AI reffing purposes??????????? Anyway, he didn't and he wasn't what we might call anti Mayo either!"
No All Ireland in us this year but making the super 8s would be great for the younger players. Andy Moran didn't look happy coming off...

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9880 - 30/06/2019 16:03:31    2202943

Link

Any update on the Injury to Lee and Doc?? Are both out for a few weeks?

Cbar (Mayo) - Posts: 171 - 01/07/2019 13:51:36    2203562

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "No All Ireland in us this year but making the super 8s would be great for the younger players. Andy Moran didn't look happy coming off..."
He shouldn't be happy with being taken off, but you'd expect a player of his class and experience to use it the right way. Andy will play against Galway, though he mightn't be in from the start. If Lee isn't fit, then Stephen Coen is the likely man to mark Shane Walsh and I believe he's well able to do that job. They can't tie Paddy D up with man-marking, as he's too valuable getting up the field.

The pressure is on KW from all quarters to let Galway play, but I think he'll revert to what has caused Mayo problems in the past... if it ain't broke and all that...

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1991 - 02/07/2019 10:47:18    2204183

Link

Best of luck at the weekend lads. Should be real throwback to the old days of knockout football. May the best man win

FashtHands (Galway) - Posts: 2 - 04/07/2019 22:52:12    2205689

Link

Keith was red carded v Galway in 2017, Diarmuid in 2018 in Castlebar, playing with Fourteen men for most of both games cost us. IT IS VITAL THAT WE KEEP FIFTEEN PLAYERS ON THE PITCH TOMORROW EVENING. Cool heads required. Galway have beaten us six games in a row, are we going to allow Galway to beat Mayo seven times in a row?

Maritime (Mayo) - Posts: 8 - 05/07/2019 11:02:40    2205805

Link

We need to be sharper to any high ball kicked in around our square. Down and Armagh both made chances on that route, luckily between last ditch defending and David Clarke we prevented a goal being scored there. I'm not a Ger Cafferkey fan but with Lee out he might get a start. Our defence creaks but still very experienced. Our forwards look a lot better than the past few years. Not just his frees, Conor Loftus is a much more confident player this championship. Fionn McDonagh and Darren Coen are big attacking pluses. Probably from the bench, and still needs bulking up, but Boland is a smart footballer who'll run until he breaks. Evan can also do a job off the bench. Armagh, Roscommon and Down all played defensively so we shouldn't fear Galway doing that. I think they're a bit silly to do that though when they have very good forwards and Damien Comer will surely start and also improve their leadership. I think we need to put our faith in our attacking play and win a shootout and not wreck ourself trying to keep them out. It's a big if but if we sharpen up at the back, improve our discipline and cut out the mistakes and turning the ball over we'll scrape a win.

Maigh Eo Abú!

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 5498 - 05/07/2019 12:03:26    2205854

Link

Going to make a lot of noise on the way through a few Galway villages, GOOD TO KNOW WHERE THE NOISY NEIGHBOURS ARE GONE TO

davittsman (Mayo) - Posts: 323 - 06/07/2019 21:47:01    2206539

Link