Mayo Forum

League Final.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Will Cillian O Connor make the starting 15 when he's fit again?
Whose place will he take if he does?

JackMurphy (Cork) - Posts: 14 - 04/04/2019 22:08:26    2177758

Link

Replying To JackMurphy:  "Will Cillian O Connor make the starting 15 when he's fit again?
Whose place will he take if he does?"
Cillian will be first forward on Horans team sheet when he's fit. Worth five points a game and if he can avoid injury, unlike the last couple of years, probably a point or two more. Diarmuid, Doc and Kev Mc also nailed on. Andy will probably continue in his second half role. After that it's take your pick between Boland, Treacy, McDonagh, Coen, Diskin and maybe Reape. Been very impressed with Boland, who I thought wouldn't make it, and Coen who is starting to grow into the Andy role. McDonagh will be hard to leave out too. Good problem to have. Thought we might have found a defender or two but the defence is starting to have a familiar look about it with Boyler and maybe Caff the first two to come in. Not sure about O Donoghue but I thought Plunkett was there or thereabouts. Midfield is sorted as long as Aido and Matty stay injury free with Seamie waiting in the wings. Horan has kept us guessing throughout the League, so maybe he has another surprise or two up his sleeve.

Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - Posts: 1048 - 05/04/2019 00:17:55    2177767

Link

Replying To Llaw_Gyffes:  "Cillian will be first forward on Horans team sheet when he's fit. Worth five points a game and if he can avoid injury, unlike the last couple of years, probably a point or two more. Diarmuid, Doc and Kev Mc also nailed on. Andy will probably continue in his second half role. After that it's take your pick between Boland, Treacy, McDonagh, Coen, Diskin and maybe Reape. Been very impressed with Boland, who I thought wouldn't make it, and Coen who is starting to grow into the Andy role. McDonagh will be hard to leave out too. Good problem to have. Thought we might have found a defender or two but the defence is starting to have a familiar look about it with Boyler and maybe Caff the first two to come in. Not sure about O Donoghue but I thought Plunkett was there or thereabouts. Midfield is sorted as long as Aido and Matty stay injury free with Seamie waiting in the wings. Horan has kept us guessing throughout the League, so maybe he has another surprise or two up his sleeve."
It wouldn't be a surprise to find that JH has a thing or two being held back for the summer. I remember the league match against the Dubs about 6 years back (think it was 2013) when our lads first used the high press against them. The Dubs were to totally thrown by it. Trouble was, it was only a league match, and when it came to later in the year they had worked on some measures to lessen its effectiveness. One thing you can say about the Dubs and Galway matches this year: they can't have learned too much from them, because we tried nothing new... just did the routine stuff fairly badly! But JH has always been into tactical innovation, so we could see some new ploy to two when the team gets into its stride.

I note Llaw you seem to have ruled out any potential for Tom Parsons to be involved. Have to say, I thought he'd never play again, but there have been hints that he's getting there. Is there any solid info about his prospects?

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1991 - 05/04/2019 13:50:32    2177813

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "It wouldn't be a surprise to find that JH has a thing or two being held back for the summer. I remember the league match against the Dubs about 6 years back (think it was 2013) when our lads first used the high press against them. The Dubs were to totally thrown by it. Trouble was, it was only a league match, and when it came to later in the year they had worked on some measures to lessen its effectiveness. One thing you can say about the Dubs and Galway matches this year: they can't have learned too much from them, because we tried nothing new... just did the routine stuff fairly badly! But JH has always been into tactical innovation, so we could see some new ploy to two when the team gets into its stride.

I note Llaw you seem to have ruled out any potential for Tom Parsons to be involved. Have to say, I thought he'd never play again, but there have been hints that he's getting there. Is there any solid info about his prospects?"
To be honest I thought after that horrific injury that we wouldn't see Tom in a Mayo jersey again. I just hoped that he would get back to leading a normal life and maybe quit while he was ahead. In one way I'd love to see him get back playing but on the other hand I'd be worried the something similar might happen him again. Maybe that's irrational but it's just that it was such a horrible injury I think he is doing brilliantly to get back to where he is at the moment. Obviously Tom knows himself what he can do and what he wants to do and if he does come back you couldn't but admire his spirit and dedication. There are rumours that he will be back sooner rather than later but I don't know any more than you do. Forgot, for some reason, to include James Carr in the mix for a forward position. A two footed forward with power and pace, will have a big say in Mayo football for several years if he wants.

Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - Posts: 1048 - 05/04/2019 21:06:30    2177857

Link

Replying To davittsman:  "Great win today, good play at times but a bit of late carelessness could have cost us. However praise where it's due and especially with a somewhat depleted team, so Congrats to all involved. One of the sweetest parts of it all was seeing Galway getting their just deserts and thankfully the paying public will at least get a league final that will be a game of football as it should be played. We've nothing to lose either. Get beat and it'll keep us on our toes, win it and we all know how we'll feel so will the players."
Fantastic win for Mayo showing that you are the best team in the country at present. Some fantastic new young players. Of course winning this league is only a stepping stone to greater things later in the year. As you so rightly say Galway are rubbish so the path is clear in Connacht but sure wont it be a nice warm up for the super 8s. Dublin are over the top, Kerry are poor enough and have no defence and sure theres nobody else to talk about. Your name is on Sam this year and that will be some night in Castlebar. The curse is gone at last.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 147 - 07/04/2019 14:36:06    2177964

Link

Replying To crafty:  "Fantastic win for Mayo showing that you are the best team in the country at present. Some fantastic new young players. Of course winning this league is only a stepping stone to greater things later in the year. As you so rightly say Galway are rubbish so the path is clear in Connacht but sure wont it be a nice warm up for the super 8s. Dublin are over the top, Kerry are poor enough and have no defence and sure theres nobody else to talk about. Your name is on Sam this year and that will be some night in Castlebar. The curse is gone at last."
You're good craic crafty, best team in the country LOL, not even the best team in Connacht, league doesn't mean much now does it, another football lesson on the way in Castlebar, bye bye Mayo,bye bye Sam

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 765 - 27/07/2019 17:52:12    2217157

Link