Mayo Forum

Mayo V Galway

(Oldest Posts First)

A game that we could have won.Did very well to come back to within a point after being 7 points down at one stage.We needed patience in front of goal and calmness with 15 mins left of the game.Positives are that we have given young players game time and hopefully more to get their debuts in the next two games.2 wins away from a league final.Division one is the place to blood these players.Discipline needs to improve .Talking to the ref and him bringing it in Cant happen anymore.Our backs need to be tighter.5 to 10 yards off our markers all the time .We need to be more clinical in front of goal.It will all come together.Great to see James Carr on the panel.This fella is well worth his place.His direct running would cause problems for any team.I like the way James Horan is giving young lads a run.James Durcan will come on from his first half run out.Plenty of ability.Darren Coen scored a lovely point and missed 2 from distance.Hes a very intelligent player .Hes some strike of a ball.Matty Ruane was man of the match.Would love to see James Kelly start with James Carr and Ryan o Donoghue given debuts .Another thing is frees.We need a left and right sided free taker.Doc from right and Fionn/Mc Laughlin/ Coen from the left.What do u think.

BigJmchalepark (Mayo) - Posts: 13 - 04/03/2019 00:10:44    2169950

Link

Replying To BigJmchalepark:  "A game that we could have won.Did very well to come back to within a point after being 7 points down at one stage.We needed patience in front of goal and calmness with 15 mins left of the game.Positives are that we have given young players game time and hopefully more to get their debuts in the next two games.2 wins away from a league final.Division one is the place to blood these players.Discipline needs to improve .Talking to the ref and him bringing it in Cant happen anymore.Our backs need to be tighter.5 to 10 yards off our markers all the time .We need to be more clinical in front of goal.It will all come together.Great to see James Carr on the panel.This fella is well worth his place.His direct running would cause problems for any team.I like the way James Horan is giving young lads a run.James Durcan will come on from his first half run out.Plenty of ability.Darren Coen scored a lovely point and missed 2 from distance.Hes a very intelligent player .Hes some strike of a ball.Matty Ruane was man of the match.Would love to see James Kelly start with James Carr and Ryan o Donoghue given debuts .Another thing is frees.We need a left and right sided free taker.Doc from right and Fionn/Mc Laughlin/ Coen from the left.What do u think."
We have to break this cycle of galway beating us, this gives them huge confidence especially going away from Castlebar with victories. I get the feeling that once we won the first 3 games and are safe in div 1 that now the attention has turned to championship and building up slowly to that so i would have no real concerns. A team i would like to take the fiels would be the following
Hennelly may just shade it for his ability to convert long range frees & 45's, has clarke kicked long range frees ????

O'Donoghue
Harrision
Boyle
Keegan
Barrett
P Durcan

DoC
Ruane

Fionn McD
Keith Higgins
Kev McLoughlin
Doherty
AOS or Andy
Cillian

Imagine been able to bring on vaughan, SOS, andy or AoS with 15 minutes to go, the impact they would make off the bench could be the difference

1951andwaiting (Galway) - Posts: 44 - 04/03/2019 20:22:28    2170231

Link

Replying To 1951andwaiting:  "We have to break this cycle of galway beating us, this gives them huge confidence especially going away from Castlebar with victories. I get the feeling that once we won the first 3 games and are safe in div 1 that now the attention has turned to championship and building up slowly to that so i would have no real concerns. A team i would like to take the fiels would be the following
Hennelly may just shade it for his ability to convert long range frees & 45's, has clarke kicked long range frees ????

O'Donoghue
Harrision
Boyle
Keegan
Barrett
P Durcan

DoC
Ruane

Fionn McD
Keith Higgins
Kev McLoughlin
Doherty
AOS or Andy
Cillian

Imagine been able to bring on vaughan, SOS, andy or AoS with 15 minutes to go, the impact they would make off the bench could be the difference"
Maybe you're right about being safe in Division 1 but Horan will not be happy at the manner of the defeat at the weekend. Galway are a good team and getting better but Horan will be bitterly disappointed that we didn't get the win. He might get over going on all out attack into a gale force wind and conceding a goal, albeit a well taken one, but going twenty minutes without a score when playing with the benefit of said gale was hard to stomach. Still it's only the League and he will learn a lot from the last two displays. Young O Donoghue looked a very good addition last year but he didn't play particularly well against Leitrim or Roscommon this year and it's not a good sign that he hasn't played in the last three games. I thought he should have got a run against the Dubs but I haven't a clue what's going on in training or what injuries lads have. Plunkett seemed to be doing everything right but he seems to have gone missing as well. Personally I'd throw both O Donoghue and Plunkett in against Kerry and bring in Boyler, if needed, later on. I think we are missing a dominant fielder at midfield so I would play Aido there with Matty Ruane and play Diarmuid centre forward. Young McDonagh had a rough night against Galway but will be all the better for it. I'd also love to see Keith playing a bit further forward, remember the damage he did to the Ros in 2017, but I don't think it's going to happen at this stage. Treacy and Diskin could have big parts to play before the year is out and I think Reape deserves another run even though he was disappointing against the Dubs. We will be in better health when Cillian comes back and Leroy and a couple of others find a bit of form but we need to put it up to Kerry the next day to show we are still a force to be reckoned with. I have a feeling we will be much better in two weeks time.

Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - Posts: 1048 - 04/03/2019 22:55:47    2170286

Link

I think the pessimism felt by many at the moment is down to the fact that people got used to the pattern of starting the year slowly and building up. The early exit last summer combined with the decent start to the league seemed to indicate that the team were intent on doing more than surviving in Div 1. Maybe that's just us supporters misreading things. What seems evident is that the players were doing a fair bit of ball work in their pre-christmas training and the Tyrone game featured a lot of good foot passing. There was then a huge drop off in the manner of performance in the last two games, with very little cohesion, poor use of the ball, loose marking and some players not fit for 70 minutes. Is this likely to be training, just a loss of form, or a bit of both? Nobody outside the group has a clue. Regardless of all factors the Galway game was there for the taking and yet the players seemed to think the job was done when the gap was closed to a point and they basically got sloppy despite all the experience on the pitch. Hard to fathom what that suggests... a lack of hunger possibly?

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1991 - 06/03/2019 13:13:30    2170617

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "I think the pessimism felt by many at the moment is down to the fact that people got used to the pattern of starting the year slowly and building up. The early exit last summer combined with the decent start to the league seemed to indicate that the team were intent on doing more than surviving in Div 1. Maybe that's just us supporters misreading things. What seems evident is that the players were doing a fair bit of ball work in their pre-christmas training and the Tyrone game featured a lot of good foot passing. There was then a huge drop off in the manner of performance in the last two games, with very little cohesion, poor use of the ball, loose marking and some players not fit for 70 minutes. Is this likely to be training, just a loss of form, or a bit of both? Nobody outside the group has a clue. Regardless of all factors the Galway game was there for the taking and yet the players seemed to think the job was done when the gap was closed to a point and they basically got sloppy despite all the experience on the pitch. Hard to fathom what that suggests... a lack of hunger possibly?"
The one thing that kept this group of players going year after year was their utter conviction that they were good enough to win an All Ireland. They did everything in their power to achieve that and still came up agonisingly short. Last Summer Leroy was talking about injuries and how they take their toll on players. Andy was saying lately about his emphasis changing from winning an All Ireland to leaving a legacy for the young Mayo lads following on. Maybe they no longer have that conviction and as a consequence are lacking a little in motivation. I hope I'm wrong!

Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - Posts: 1048 - 06/03/2019 21:00:11    2170736

Link

Replying To Llaw_Gyffes:  "The one thing that kept this group of players going year after year was their utter conviction that they were good enough to win an All Ireland. They did everything in their power to achieve that and still came up agonisingly short. Last Summer Leroy was talking about injuries and how they take their toll on players. Andy was saying lately about his emphasis changing from winning an All Ireland to leaving a legacy for the young Mayo lads following on. Maybe they no longer have that conviction and as a consequence are lacking a little in motivation. I hope I'm wrong!"
That seems to be what's coming across alright Llaw. Mark O'Se was only saying on the radio a couple of days back that the reason Mayo could go 15 v 15, man for man with the Dubs was because we had 15 players the equal of whatever the Dubs could put out on the pitch, while Kerry didn't a lot of years, even though they still managed an AI with what they had. The Mayo players believed this themselves and never felt that their combined quality was any lower than the Dubs, even if that quality was spread unevenly between the two teams: the Dubs always had better score getters close in, and Mayo always had a bigger threat coming from deep. Where our lads always fell away was after that first 15, as everyone's well aware. The Dubs brought subs in to improve their capabilities in the last 15 or 20 minutes, while we brought subs in to replace a better player who was basically knackered. We only had quality replacements in defence, and still do, and no one who'd nearly always guarantee 2 or 3 points or a goal to see us over the line. The Dubs have managed to maintain the quality of their team while lowering the age profile, in the meantime the age gap with our side has grown in spite of some good younger players like DOC, Paddy Durcan and Eoin O'Donoghue managing to nail down starting places... we needed a further 3 or 4. I suppose, belatedly that's what JH seems to be looking for this year, rather than an actual rebuild. The question as you say is whether that deep conviction is present anymore. We won't know till summer... this league like the previous 5 or 6 is probably a risky thing to be judging this Mayo team by. I certainly can't see us winning either of our last two games, but that may not matter a whole lot if we find 3 first teamers, at least two of them forwards.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1991 - 07/03/2019 15:09:15    2170881

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "That seems to be what's coming across alright Llaw. Mark O'Se was only saying on the radio a couple of days back that the reason Mayo could go 15 v 15, man for man with the Dubs was because we had 15 players the equal of whatever the Dubs could put out on the pitch, while Kerry didn't a lot of years, even though they still managed an AI with what they had. The Mayo players believed this themselves and never felt that their combined quality was any lower than the Dubs, even if that quality was spread unevenly between the two teams: the Dubs always had better score getters close in, and Mayo always had a bigger threat coming from deep. Where our lads always fell away was after that first 15, as everyone's well aware. The Dubs brought subs in to improve their capabilities in the last 15 or 20 minutes, while we brought subs in to replace a better player who was basically knackered. We only had quality replacements in defence, and still do, and no one who'd nearly always guarantee 2 or 3 points or a goal to see us over the line. The Dubs have managed to maintain the quality of their team while lowering the age profile, in the meantime the age gap with our side has grown in spite of some good younger players like DOC, Paddy Durcan and Eoin O'Donoghue managing to nail down starting places... we needed a further 3 or 4. I suppose, belatedly that's what JH seems to be looking for this year, rather than an actual rebuild. The question as you say is whether that deep conviction is present anymore. We won't know till summer... this league like the previous 5 or 6 is probably a risky thing to be judging this Mayo team by. I certainly can't see us winning either of our last two games, but that may not matter a whole lot if we find 3 first teamers, at least two of them forwards."
Forwards have always been our issue..for years. Coaching in this area must be addressed looking to the future.

I can see us winning one of our last games....people were talking about a league final place a few weeks ago but with only 8 weeks until we kick off the 3019 championship in da Bronx, I think all focus will be towards that.

Winning a Connacht title this year will take a huge effort.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9880 - 07/03/2019 18:51:35    2170944

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Forwards have always been our issue..for years. Coaching in this area must be addressed looking to the future.

I can see us winning one of our last games....people were talking about a league final place a few weeks ago but with only 8 weeks until we kick off the 3019 championship in da Bronx, I think all focus will be towards that.

Winning a Connacht title this year will take a huge effort."
The player credited with being the first to do a solo run with the ball was a Mayo lad and it seems it must have seeped into the DNA in some way. So we keep producing really good half-backs, half-forwards and ball playing corner backs, but rarely a really reliable finisher. How different it seems to be down in the Kingdom and even the neighbours, with both Galway and the Rossies several times more likely to produce the sort of accomplished finishers that can mean the difference between getting over the line and endless frustration. Mind you the 2013 minor team, the last non-Kerry one to win an AI at that level, had a very exciting and talented front 6 but none of them have graduated to the senior team as starters: Conor Loftus (Crossmolina), Michael Plunkett (Ballintubber), Padraig Prendergast (Louisburgh); Darragh Doherty (Kilmaine), Liam Irwin (Breaffy), Tommy Conroy (Kiltane). Diarmuid O'Connor has, but was a midfielder and is now the same at senior. We've gotten no Costello, O'Callaghan, O'Shea or Murtagh equivalents, never mind what looks like a once in a generation talent like Clifford. There are probably a dozen Kerry lads who'd make our team up front, but very few outside the forward positions. Has to be coaching, as you say...

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1991 - 08/03/2019 14:14:01    2171087

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "The player credited with being the first to do a solo run with the ball was a Mayo lad and it seems it must have seeped into the DNA in some way. So we keep producing really good half-backs, half-forwards and ball playing corner backs, but rarely a really reliable finisher. How different it seems to be down in the Kingdom and even the neighbours, with both Galway and the Rossies several times more likely to produce the sort of accomplished finishers that can mean the difference between getting over the line and endless frustration. Mind you the 2013 minor team, the last non-Kerry one to win an AI at that level, had a very exciting and talented front 6 but none of them have graduated to the senior team as starters: Conor Loftus (Crossmolina), Michael Plunkett (Ballintubber), Padraig Prendergast (Louisburgh); Darragh Doherty (Kilmaine), Liam Irwin (Breaffy), Tommy Conroy (Kiltane). Diarmuid O'Connor has, but was a midfielder and is now the same at senior. We've gotten no Costello, O'Callaghan, O'Shea or Murtagh equivalents, never mind what looks like a once in a generation talent like Clifford. There are probably a dozen Kerry lads who'd make our team up front, but very few outside the forward positions. Has to be coaching, as you say..."
Starts with the kids...we should be ebcouraging all clubs to have kids kicking from both feet. If this Mayo team that now "appears" to be in decline had a Diarmuid Connolly or Padraig Joyce I have no doubt we would have won at least one all Ireland.

Despite our lack of scoring we did go tow to toe but in the final quarter in every game Dublin Brough on subs that were able to score and we didn't have any quality on the bench that were as good or better then what was coming off.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9880 - 09/03/2019 18:14:23    2171273

Link

From an outside looking in and someone who has cheered on mayo over the last few years as anyone their is no doubt you problem is from number 10-15. You have no out and out match winner in the crunch games. I have no doubt that If C.McDonald was only reaching his prime now yee would be the ones on the pedastill and not Dublin. Unfortunately I see the same failings coming this year which is a huge pity as yee are the only team to compete with Dublin apart from this current Kerry group. If Donie Buckley can get the same out of the Kerry back line as he got out of the mayo back line then they will beat Dublin this year as they also have the forwards to trouble Them.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 154 - 11/03/2019 00:43:16    2171544

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "From an outside looking in and someone who has cheered on mayo over the last few years as anyone their is no doubt you problem is from number 10-15. You have no out and out match winner in the crunch games. I have no doubt that If C.McDonald was only reaching his prime now yee would be the ones on the pedastill and not Dublin. Unfortunately I see the same failings coming this year which is a huge pity as yee are the only team to compete with Dublin apart from this current Kerry group. If Donie Buckley can get the same out of the Kerry back line as he got out of the mayo back line then they will beat Dublin this year as they also have the forwards to trouble Them."
First of all, well done on Leitrim getting promoted and a day out in Croker to look forward to. It's good to see a fellow Connacht side on the rise!

I think with Kerry, you look at what they've been doing over the last 5 or 6 years at minor and schools levels and you'd have to think that with their know-how, plus their winning tradition, that they must have the makings of a future dominant side. But while it's possible to develop a defence, and not that easy to improve forwards in the same way, there are no guarantees that Kerry will find it easy to get the balance right. For instance, they're not playing P Geaney, Clifford or James O'Donoghue at the moment, but last year when they played first Geaney and Clifford and then JOD and Clifford in the ff line (I think against Monaghan), both Geaney and JOD were often forced to go deep to follow their markers. This brought them into territory where they could do no damage. Further to that they wouldn't be great defenders or ball carriers so, for all their talents in the right part of the pitch, they became liabilities operating from deep. Kerry do need a better coached defence to enable them to leave more players up top, but they also need forwards who can mix it and aren't just good finishers. If 10 good forwards would win every game then Kerry would soon be eclipsing Dublin. However even the Dubs, who do have forwards capable of doing the dirty work, don't play them all in the same 15. What a side needs minimum is what Donegal had in 2012: two guys who can mix it, but also get a guaranteed 3 or 4 points a game from play, with the odd goal thrown in. Mayo have had Andy, who had terrible injury woes just when he should have been at his peak in 2012, 13 and 14. What he did to recover and become player of the year at 33 is truly the stuff of legend. Cillian is a bit of an enigma... he's got plenty of physical strength, he's over 6' and reasonably good in the air, plus he has proven accuracy given any space, but I think that's it... he needs a bit more space and time than you get at full championship level. Funny enough, Dean Rock also had the same issue initially, but the Dubs found ways of bringing him on. The last mainstay for us has been Jason Doc... started off as a great goal poacher, developed into a good long range point scorer, but had to move away from those strengths to stay in the team. His ability to put in a shift off the ball and pressure his opponent is what's kept him starting games. Without that Mayo's overall performance levels would be lower... so he has become the proverbial team player. This is where the game has gone over the past 7 or 8 years. It's also one of the reasons why the likes of Galway and Tyrone are nervous of abandoning their systems... you need to have more than forwards who know where the posts are. You need grunts as well as snipers, and Galway have too many snipers, while Tyrone (a bit like ourselves) have plenty of grunts!

I don't know if anyone will beat Dublin this year, but it'd be remarkable if Kerry managed to find the blend needed to bridge the gap against such a seasoned team, even if they try to ramp up the pressure of the 5-in-a-row as high as is possible. Kerry weren't better than Mayo two years ago and were also behind Tyrone, Galway and Monaghan last year, so what they had (and many are still in the panel despite the 5 or 6 retirements) are unlikely to get to the very top level instantly with the injection of youth, even with a coach as good as Buckley. If 2019 brings them up to the level of genuine number 1 contenders, then in 2020 they could deliver, but PK's honeymoon will likely be well tested during the summer when the real lessons are to be learned. The relative weakness of Munster is not doing Kerry any favours, leaving them in danger of being wrongly cooked and nervous for what comes after.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1991 - 11/03/2019 15:01:15    2171661

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "First of all, well done on Leitrim getting promoted and a day out in Croker to look forward to. It's good to see a fellow Connacht side on the rise!

I think with Kerry, you look at what they've been doing over the last 5 or 6 years at minor and schools levels and you'd have to think that with their know-how, plus their winning tradition, that they must have the makings of a future dominant side. But while it's possible to develop a defence, and not that easy to improve forwards in the same way, there are no guarantees that Kerry will find it easy to get the balance right. For instance, they're not playing P Geaney, Clifford or James O'Donoghue at the moment, but last year when they played first Geaney and Clifford and then JOD and Clifford in the ff line (I think against Monaghan), both Geaney and JOD were often forced to go deep to follow their markers. This brought them into territory where they could do no damage. Further to that they wouldn't be great defenders or ball carriers so, for all their talents in the right part of the pitch, they became liabilities operating from deep. Kerry do need a better coached defence to enable them to leave more players up top, but they also need forwards who can mix it and aren't just good finishers. If 10 good forwards would win every game then Kerry would soon be eclipsing Dublin. However even the Dubs, who do have forwards capable of doing the dirty work, don't play them all in the same 15. What a side needs minimum is what Donegal had in 2012: two guys who can mix it, but also get a guaranteed 3 or 4 points a game from play, with the odd goal thrown in. Mayo have had Andy, who had terrible injury woes just when he should have been at his peak in 2012, 13 and 14. What he did to recover and become player of the year at 33 is truly the stuff of legend. Cillian is a bit of an enigma... he's got plenty of physical strength, he's over 6' and reasonably good in the air, plus he has proven accuracy given any space, but I think that's it... he needs a bit more space and time than you get at full championship level. Funny enough, Dean Rock also had the same issue initially, but the Dubs found ways of bringing him on. The last mainstay for us has been Jason Doc... started off as a great goal poacher, developed into a good long range point scorer, but had to move away from those strengths to stay in the team. His ability to put in a shift off the ball and pressure his opponent is what's kept him starting games. Without that Mayo's overall performance levels would be lower... so he has become the proverbial team player. This is where the game has gone over the past 7 or 8 years. It's also one of the reasons why the likes of Galway and Tyrone are nervous of abandoning their systems... you need to have more than forwards who know where the posts are. You need grunts as well as snipers, and Galway have too many snipers, while Tyrone (a bit like ourselves) have plenty of grunts!

I don't know if anyone will beat Dublin this year, but it'd be remarkable if Kerry managed to find the blend needed to bridge the gap against such a seasoned team, even if they try to ramp up the pressure of the 5-in-a-row as high as is possible. Kerry weren't better than Mayo two years ago and were also behind Tyrone, Galway and Monaghan last year, so what they had (and many are still in the panel despite the 5 or 6 retirements) are unlikely to get to the very top level instantly with the injection of youth, even with a coach as good as Buckley. If 2019 brings them up to the level of genuine number 1 contenders, then in 2020 they could deliver, but PK's honeymoon will likely be well tested during the summer when the real lessons are to be learned. The relative weakness of Munster is not doing Kerry any favours, leaving them in danger of being wrongly cooked and nervous for what comes after."
Very insightful post.

Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - Posts: 1048 - 11/03/2019 20:12:20    2171725

Link

What's the feeling on the trip to Tralee?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4158 - 11/03/2019 20:49:56    2171733

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "What's the feeling on the trip to Tralee?"
A lot will depend on the results earlier on in the day. If Monaghan and Cavan draw or Galway beat the Ros then any threat of relegation will be removed from Mayo. In that case Horan may well put out an inexperienced team and give more young lads a run. If the Ros, and either of the other two, win, then expect much the same team that lined out against Galway. Mayo, after an insipid display against the Dubs, played well at times against Galway. With a few injuries starting to clear up I would expect further improvement against Kerry. With Kerry showing good form and a full house in Tralee it could be a very interesting game.

Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - Posts: 1048 - 11/03/2019 21:29:54    2171746

Link

Is it not a game ye have to go out and win regardless?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4158 - 11/03/2019 22:58:22    2171773

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Is it not a game ye have to go out and win regardless?"
The only way we're getting to the league final Horse will be by accident. We're not yet mathematically safe, but as Llaw points out we're not too far off. If Cavan beat Monaghan that would also be enough (we'd always stay ahead of Cavan on the head-to-head rule). Not saying the team won't care at all about the result in Tralee, but the current form of both teams would need to be turned on its head for Mayo to prevail. Pretty unlikely, I'm thinking.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1991 - 12/03/2019 14:08:45    2171860

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "The only way we're getting to the league final Horse will be by accident. We're not yet mathematically safe, but as Llaw points out we're not too far off. If Cavan beat Monaghan that would also be enough (we'd always stay ahead of Cavan on the head-to-head rule). Not saying the team won't care at all about the result in Tralee, but the current form of both teams would need to be turned on its head for Mayo to prevail. Pretty unlikely, I'm thinking."
Head to head would not count if three or more teams finish on the same points.

sinabhuil (Mayo) - Posts: 165 - 12/03/2019 17:15:58    2171900

Link

Replying To sinabhuil:  "Head to head would not count if three or more teams finish on the same points."
Thanks sinabhuil, I wasn't thinking of that tbh. If Cavan do manage to get to 6 points then it's likely that more than us and them will end up on 6 points, so hopefully we won't get a hiding off either Kerry or Monaghan to erode our superior 15 point scoring difference. Wouldn't it be perverse if the year we thought we were safe we ended up going down after all of the great escapes of the last few! Stranger things have happened I suppose, but generally only to Mayo!

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1991 - 12/03/2019 18:40:34    2171916

Link

Much improved display last evening. Were glimpses of the tenacious tackling, we have become used to with this team, against Galway but they maintained the intensity for the full game against Kerry. Different attitude entirely from the match against the Dubs. Delighted to see Ruane revert to the running game that was so impressive at u21 level. Saw him in the county final this year and he seemed to be caught up in the lateral passing tactic, rarely venturing forward. Gives us another option now at midfield that we didn't expect a month ago. Good to see Coen and Plunkett get another meaningful game as we know what we'll get from Leroy and Boyler later on. Still need to find a replacement for Aido at centre forward, if he stays at midfield, and a ball winner in the full forward line to take the pressure off Andy. Kev Mc, Diarmuid or Aido, Doc, Cillian and probably McDonagh look like forward starters for the Championship. Time for Diskin, Reape and one or two others to prove they're worthy of a place come Summer. Impressive beating Kerry with five of the u21 winning team plus young McDonagh involved. Monaghan, looking for points, will be a real test on Sunday and it will be interesting to see what changes Horan will make. I'm sure there will be a few!

Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - Posts: 1048 - 17/03/2019 13:57:46    2173033

Link