Mayo Forum

Team To Play Tyrone

(Oldest Posts First)

Any thoughts on the team to face Tyrone. Do we try out a few new lads or stick with the old brigade

Here's my selection

Hennelly
O'Donaghue
Harrison
Higgins
Boyle
Plunkett
Durcan
o'shea
Vaughan
O'Connor
Keegan
Boland/McDonagh
Doherty
Reape
Diskin

I'd be using Vaughan, O'Shea, Keegan and O'Connor as a middle four. Would like to see Osin Mcloughlin get a run at some stage, liked the look of him during last years u20 championship. Does anyone know anything about James Carr who has been on the development squad for the past 2/3 years? don't think he's played a game of any description.

mayomanic (Mayo) - Posts: 67 - 31/01/2019 10:26:15    2161127

Link

Lads just drove though Omagh. Snowing quite heavy and laying. You know what Healy park is like. Il be in Omagh tomorrow, il drive out and check the pitch in case anyone driving up.
Don't want anyone disappointed. Hopefully it will melt but not looking good at this moment.

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 1705 - 01/02/2019 20:19:17    2161542

Link

Team named

Rob Hennelly
Eoin o Donoghue
Brendan Harrison
Keith Higgins
James Mc Cormack
Lee Keegan
Paddy Durcan
Diarmuid o Connor
Donal Vaughan
Fionn Mc Donagh
Aidan o Se
Ciaran Treacy
Conor Diskin
Brian Reape
Jason Doherty

Fair play to James Horan for giving youth its chance.All about Performance and if our play is to a high intensity and with aggression it will be a great game.Replying to an earlier message about James Carr.He is an excellent footballer with pace and power and knows where the posts are.Just needs a chance.Win another one or two games and I'm sure new Young lads will be blooded.

BigJmchalepark (Mayo) - Posts: 13 - 01/02/2019 21:44:42    2161569

Link

Replying To The_Fridge:  "Lads just drove though Omagh. Snowing quite heavy and laying. You know what Healy park is like. Il be in Omagh tomorrow, il drive out and check the pitch in case anyone driving up.
Don't want anyone disappointed. Hopefully it will melt but not looking good at this moment."
Thanks for the heads up. Not going myself but know a few who are. Hopefully fans will be given plenty of notice if there is any doubt

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9880 - 01/02/2019 22:18:00    2161577

Link

Replying To mayomanic:  "Any thoughts on the team to face Tyrone. Do we try out a few new lads or stick with the old brigade

Here's my selection

Hennelly
O'Donaghue
Harrison
Higgins
Boyle
Plunkett
Durcan
o'shea
Vaughan
O'Connor
Keegan
Boland/McDonagh
Doherty
Reape
Diskin

I'd be using Vaughan, O'Shea, Keegan and O'Connor as a middle four. Would like to see Osin Mcloughlin get a run at some stage, liked the look of him during last years u20 championship. Does anyone know anything about James Carr who has been on the development squad for the past 2/3 years? don't think he's played a game of any description."
I'd say Oisin Mcloughlin is a bit light yet. His time will come but I'd be surprised if we see him this year. Wouldn't surprise me if they do what they done with Eoin O Donoghue and give him a year in development squad to build up strength etc. As for James Carr I seen he didn't play a minute for UL (as far as I know) in Sigerson so perhaps he's injured. Seen him play in a u21 game out in the COE and he's a powerful man on the ball. Looked like he'd make the step up to senior easily. He got a bad injury last year I think.

Jasonmcg2_ (Mayo) - Posts: 13 - 02/02/2019 00:01:36    2161589

Link

bad displays and public opinion has got a change at full back , its time for same now at goalkeeper , we have poor displays already its now time for public opinion to demand it, and as Clarke is also in the twilight of his career its time for a new young keeper to be put forward .

culmore (None) - Posts: 1360 - 02/02/2019 11:49:43    2161639

Link

Subs:
16 D Clarke
17 C Crowe
18 D Drake
19 M Plunkett
20 S Coen
21 M Ruane
22 K McLoughlin
23 F Boland
24 E Regan
25 A Moran
26 G Cafferky

Anyone know where Conor Loftus is?

number_1 (Mayo) - Posts: 58 - 02/02/2019 21:40:25    2161777

Link

Replying To mayomanic:  "Any thoughts on the team to face Tyrone. Do we try out a few new lads or stick with the old brigade

Here's my selection

Hennelly
O'Donaghue
Harrison
Higgins
Boyle
Plunkett
Durcan
o'shea
Vaughan
O'Connor
Keegan
Boland/McDonagh
Doherty
Reape
Diskin

I'd be using Vaughan, O'Shea, Keegan and O'Connor as a middle four. Would like to see Osin Mcloughlin get a run at some stage, liked the look of him during last years u20 championship. Does anyone know anything about James Carr who has been on the development squad for the past 2/3 years? don't think he's played a game of any description."
Keegan is not a forward. This has been tried. He is an exceptional half back. No need to mess with that

Kingofthehill100 (Mayo) - Posts: 68 - 04/02/2019 12:10:59    2162450

Link

Replying To Kingofthehill100:  "Keegan is not a forward. This has been tried. He is an exceptional half back. No need to mess with that"
I didn't say Keegan was a forward! I said I'd play him as part of a middle four with O'se, O'Connor, Vaughan and himself

mayomanic (Mayo) - Posts: 67 - 04/02/2019 13:58:38    2162504

Link

So your playing 4 players in midfield thus leaving two of their defenders and two of their forwards free. You have named him at 11 on your selection.

Kingofthehill100 (Mayo) - Posts: 68 - 05/02/2019 16:18:59    2162791

Link

Replying To Kingofthehill100:  "So your playing 4 players in midfield thus leaving two of their defenders and two of their forwards free. You have named him at 11 on your selection."
so you think only two players operate around the middle in football today? Have you not been watching all the defensive stuff that's been going on this past few years where some teams play with 15 men behind the ball.

You need to come down from that hill and go watch a few games.

mayomanic (Mayo) - Posts: 67 - 06/02/2019 09:53:36    2162912

Link

Replying To mayomanic:  "so you think only two players operate around the middle in football today? Have you not been watching all the defensive stuff that's been going on this past few years where some teams play with 15 men behind the ball.

You need to come down from that hill and go watch a few games."
Watch a game of football? I'm playing with and against some of the above mentioned. Keegan belongs in the half back line. End of story.

Kingofthehill100 (Mayo) - Posts: 68 - 06/02/2019 11:57:51    2162945

Link

Replying To Kingofthehill100:  "Watch a game of football? I'm playing with and against some of the above mentioned. Keegan belongs in the half back line. End of story."
Did Lee Keegan operate in the half back line when he followed Kilkenny all over Croke Park in 17 final. Get your facts right. There a difference between being picked at 5 and playing at 5.

mayomanic (Mayo) - Posts: 67 - 06/02/2019 12:36:10    2162954

Link

Replying To mayomanic:  "Did Lee Keegan operate in the half back line when he followed Kilkenny all over Croke Park in 17 final. Get your facts right. There a difference between being picked at 5 and playing at 5."
Hahahaha yes he played as a wing back the entire game following his man everywhere. He didn't play midfield , he didn't play forward. He played a man marking half back job. And he did it to perfection

Kingofthehill100 (Mayo) - Posts: 68 - 06/02/2019 14:34:39    2162990

Link

Replying To Kingofthehill100:  "Hahahaha yes he played as a wing back the entire game following his man everywhere. He didn't play midfield , he didn't play forward. He played a man marking half back job. And he did it to perfection"
clueless........ I suppose he scored the goal from his own half. anyway back to my original point I'd pick him in a middle 4 this year and I've a feeling Horan will as well!!

mayomanic (Mayo) - Posts: 67 - 07/02/2019 07:29:48    2163124

Link

Replying To mayomanic:  "clueless........ I suppose he scored the goal from his own half. anyway back to my original point I'd pick him in a middle 4 this year and I've a feeling Horan will as well!!"
Looking forward to James Horan naming 4 in the middle :)

Kingofthehill100 (Mayo) - Posts: 68 - 07/02/2019 17:43:51    2163273

Link