Mayo Forum

New York New York

(Oldest Posts First)

First off, I wish all the posters on here a pleasant and prosperous 2019! Let's hope for the same for Mayo this year.

I'm going over to NYC round the same time as the Mayo footballers will play NY in the first round of the championship. Can anyone tell me what the procedure for getting tickets is? Pay at the gate or are they distributed by the county board?

Many thanks, one and all.

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 1619 - 04/01/2019 14:38:32    2155656

Link

Gleebo - it's pay at the gate at Gaelic Park...always has been. I would watch out for changes though as the ground capacity is reduced due to renovations and more Mayo fans are heading over than the ground can hold but maybe some provisions will be made to temporarily increase capacity. Watch this space as they say

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9752 - 05/01/2019 16:18:17    2155749

Link

Many thanks, Yew Tree! Best to watch this space, as you suggest.

Will you head over yourself? Looking forward to taking in the Big Apple and hopefully seeing the green and red in action too!

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 1619 - 06/01/2019 14:13:14    2155791

Link

Replying To Gleebo:  "Many thanks, Yew Tree! Best to watch this space, as you suggest.

Will you head over yourself? Looking forward to taking in the Big Apple and hopefully seeing the green and red in action too!"
Yes Gleebo...I'll be there. Looking forward to it.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9752 - 06/01/2019 23:22:41    2155880

Link

Any word on tickets

tirawleybaron (Mayo) - Posts: 753 - 16/04/2019 04:10:48    2179057

Link

Replying To tirawleybaron:  "Any word on tickets"
This might be of use: https://mayogaablog.com/?p=24926

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 1619 - 16/04/2019 16:58:14    2179157

Link

Panel for New York named no great surprises , but just 2 keepers and three midfielders and Tom Parsons but he is unlikely to play much this year.

culmore (None) - Posts: 1344 - 30/04/2019 10:09:58    2180982

Link

Replying To culmore:  "Panel for New York named no great surprises , but just 2 keepers and three midfielders and Tom Parsons but he is unlikely to play much this year."
Surprised Jason gibbons was not kept...we seem to be forward heavy

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9752 - 01/05/2019 12:34:04    2181249

Link

Enjoy you're trip to New York. I did it last year when leitrim was over there. It was the best trip I ever went on. The game it's self was unbelievable. Went to extra time we look dead and buried about 5 times throughout. Even the national media flew over too see history. Thankfully it didn't happen. Mayo will win handy as New York put everything into last years game. They have no Jamie clarke or tom coniffee this year. Make sure and stop off for a drink in Clarke's bar on McLean the new sponsors of leitrim gaa. Enjoy and stay safe

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 137 - 01/05/2019 14:38:32    2181280

Link

Any word on recent challenges mayo have played since league final?

Mayo travel to NY at weekend, would expect mayo to trash a poor NY side.
Say mayo will win by 22 points.

Theeagleeye (Roscommon) - Posts: 54 - 01/05/2019 23:21:59    2181360

Link

What a weekend....thanks to the great people of NYC for their hospitality. Biggest crowd at a GAA game there since the polo grounds final I was told.

In one of the biggest cities in the world to not be able walk 3 blocks without seeing at least one mayo jersey was surreal.

A real privilege to be there.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9752 - 09/05/2019 12:47:09    2182714

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "What a weekend....thanks to the great people of NYC for their hospitality. Biggest crowd at a GAA game there since the polo grounds final I was told.

In one of the biggest cities in the world to not be able walk 3 blocks without seeing at least one mayo jersey was surreal.

A real privilege to be there."
Ditto, was amazed at the scale of the Mayo diaspora over there, especially around Manhattan.

Would highly recommend NYC if ye can make it, unbelievable place for every cuisine under the sun and the craic, even if you'd want a good few greenbacks to enjoy it.

Great turnout from our folks on one of the worst days I have ever watched a football game too, bitterly cold, wind howling, rain driving into the face with almost no cover for the travelling support.

I heard a whisper that the annual New York fixture may be extended to the other provinces beyond Connacht, anyone hear anything similar?

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 1619 - 21/05/2019 17:18:41    2186365

Link

Replying To Gleebo:  "Ditto, was amazed at the scale of the Mayo diaspora over there, especially around Manhattan.

Would highly recommend NYC if ye can make it, unbelievable place for every cuisine under the sun and the craic, even if you'd want a good few greenbacks to enjoy it.

Great turnout from our folks on one of the worst days I have ever watched a football game too, bitterly cold, wind howling, rain driving into the face with almost no cover for the travelling support.

I heard a whisper that the annual New York fixture may be extended to the other provinces beyond Connacht, anyone hear anything similar?"
If the championship is re structured then it's likely our New York trips may be no more...it's possible this trip just gone could be the last...hopefully not but who knows.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9752 - 21/05/2019 19:16:26    2186398

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "If the championship is re structured then it's likely our New York trips may be no more...it's possible this trip just gone could be the last...hopefully not but who knows."
Is nothing sacred?

Hopefully London remain in the championship...

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 1619 - 23/05/2019 17:19:34    2186954

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "If the championship is re structured then it's likely our New York trips may be no more...it's possible this trip just gone could be the last...hopefully not but who knows."
There's no fear that the likes of Mayo and others will allow this fixture be taken away from the calendar. My sources tell me the Co Board walked away from NY with the best part of 3/4 million in the kitty. That's a huge amount of money but I doubt we'll be told much about it?
In any case, the real Championship starts this weekend for us and we would need to be very wary of this Roscommon team. They're hungry, talented, have nothing to lose and will find weaknesses in our defence if they exist. Time will tell and Saturday will tell us a few things about where we are and where we're going, or not going.

davittsman (Mayo) - Posts: 309 - 24/05/2019 10:45:52    2187069

Link