Louth Forum

Dublin v Kerry

(Oldest Posts First)

presume a lot here watched the match yesterday, hard to get feedback on main forum regarding your opinion so I thought we could have our own chat about it?

Terrible to hear about the ref, not nice to hear/see in any sport, lifetime bans i hope.

Thought Dublin did get the more 50-50 calls though, although they were a better team and deserved to win.

I though the kickout strategy was top class to deny Cluxton which led to the 1st goal. Knew he couldnt kick it 120 yards down the field, so clever to think of it and its brilliant to watch from camera behind the goals (Ciaran Whelan loves that camera, watch any of his analysis).

Also felt Kerry were unlucky with injuries, Donaghy, Darren O Sull, were both playing well and threatening and have experience of games like yesterday, which is vital in closing 10.

Dean Rock is top class and deserves more credit, 12 points in an all ireland semi, I dont care how many frees, he won some of the frees himself and some were difficult and under immense pressure. Missed 1 of 11, if Sexton done that in rugby.....

Kev Mac loves playing Kerry.

Eoghan O Gara kicking a match clinching score, brilliant, will give him some confidence. Bad news for Mayo

Kerrys own kickouts were desperate especially when they went long.

Shane Enright is a top class corner back, one on one several times with none other than BB and got the better of him, and drove forward from any short kickout he received.

What is the story with Paul Flynn? Playing poorly this while.

Johnny Cooper also deserves mention,thought he was excellent.

and the goal, cant help but this of Luis Garcia v Chelsea and the ghost goal.

Your thoughts?

Frederick (Louth) - Posts: 474 - 29/08/2016 07:28:21    1907275

Link

The ref was the difference, some poor decisions v Kerry in the 2nd half!

Top class game and Kerry really had their homework done.

Kerry lost the ball about 5 time sin the last ten which also cost them, along with Cooper kicking the ball short!

MR (Louth) - Posts: 2570 - 29/08/2016 09:17:10    1907309

Link

Only for Cluxton Dublin would have won easy enough..........just shows their strength in depth. Dublin full-time professionals......

herewe38 (Louth) - Posts: 506 - 29/08/2016 09:32:00    1907325

Link

Replying To MR:  "The ref was the difference, some poor decisions v Kerry in the 2nd half!

Top class game and Kerry really had their homework done.

Kerry lost the ball about 5 time sin the last ten which also cost them, along with Cooper kicking the ball short!"
Going to disagree, apart from the obvious Crowley incident (where he hadn't a clear view) he didn't do much else wrong from what I saw. Impossible to get all the calls right, for the most part he was in control and was instrumental in keeping it flowing using the advantage when possible. Most pieces I have read today the journalists are of the same opinion, his performance was nowhere as bad as people are making out, nowhere near as bad as Cormac Reilly in Limerick for instance in 2014 semi final replay.

SmallBoy (Louth) - Posts: 284 - 29/08/2016 14:28:19    1907608

Link

I thought the ref was poor myself
He gave a several frees to Dublin after trying to play advantage where I couldn't see what was the advantage being played for and when Kerry got a turnover, he pulled it back. One in particular was Killian young where he executed a great block but he pulled it back. He did not gave Kerry the same soft frees and in particular Donaghy in the second half he caught a high ball and was fouled continuously for about 3-4 seconds.
Then the obvious shoulder incident at the end was scandalous, and granted he had obstructed view, but surely it's an attribute for a ref to position yourself in the best position. Referees shouldn't be ahead of the ball, they need to be behind it to see any pulling dragging by defenders/forwards.

Frederick (Louth) - Posts: 474 - 29/08/2016 16:46:27    1907722

Link

What really struck me is how far behind these teams Louth and other similar counties have fallen.. We literally are in a completely different class altogether and it's very difficult to see us ever compete for even a Leinster ever again.
Hard to believe it's only 6 years since we had a Leinster title in our grasp and even that year after such a disappointment we gave Dublin a reasonable match in the qualifiers , they beat us quite handy but we had a woeful start that day but I think we 'won' the second half.
They would absolutely annihilate us nowadays like they do routinely with all Leinster teams .

pundit2 (Louth) - Posts: 594 - 01/09/2016 07:27:44    1908929

Link

Replying To pundit2:  "What really struck me is how far behind these teams Louth and other similar counties have fallen.. We literally are in a completely different class altogether and it's very difficult to see us ever compete for even a Leinster ever again.
Hard to believe it's only 6 years since we had a Leinster title in our grasp and even that year after such a disappointment we gave Dublin a reasonable match in the qualifiers , they beat us quite handy but we had a woeful start that day but I think we 'won' the second half.
They would absolutely annihilate us nowadays like they do routinely with all Leinster teams ."
Unless the GAA introduce a fulltime paid structure for intercounty players, the likes of Louth and others will never catch up in todays society. The suits in croker are only proposing changes to increase margins where they can without thinking of whats best for the association and player welfare.

I would never have been a promoter of the fulltime paid players in the GAA but the way things are now its the only thing thats best for player welfare.......in my view its actually cruel whats going on and the pressure thats placed on intercounty players is complete maddness....and those responsible for managing our games are a disgrace for been so greedy....

herewe38 (Louth) - Posts: 506 - 01/09/2016 19:02:35    1909271

Link