Louth Forum

Westmeath Game

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

You seem to be fairly thin skinned when it comes to criticism yourself there, JoeJ....

LaLu (Louth) - Posts: 205 - 01/04/2019 14:43:07    2176996

Link

It was a great league because we had an interest right up to the last second. Thanks to all concerned. It could have been better of course. There were lots of ifs and buts over the seven games. Looking back I think our best chance lost was in the first 25 minutes with Longford. We wasted so much then when there was really no pressure on. Since then we had pressure on and the lads responded well and nearly made it.

Andy is our best player at the moment. But why is he having to bust his gut holding the ball to himself and eventually in many cases losing it. His efforts generally lead to him having to be replaced in the second.half. This policy should be tweeted I think. He could have been very valuable very late on Saturday.
Loss on the Yellow Bellies.

19616609 (Louth) - Posts: 1378 - 01/04/2019 14:49:03    2176998

Link

No Snowflakes here LaLu, just a product of the 70s!!

joej (Louth) - Posts: 1509 - 01/04/2019 15:10:51    2177007

Link

Replying To 19616609:  "It was a great league because we had an interest right up to the last second. Thanks to all concerned. It could have been better of course. There were lots of ifs and buts over the seven games. Looking back I think our best chance lost was in the first 25 minutes with Longford. We wasted so much then when there was really no pressure on. Since then we had pressure on and the lads responded well and nearly made it.

Andy is our best player at the moment. But why is he having to bust his gut holding the ball to himself and eventually in many cases losing it. His efforts generally lead to him having to be replaced in the second.half. This policy should be tweeted I think. He could have been very valuable very late on Saturday.
Loss on the Yellow Bellies."
But why is he having to bust his gut holding the ball to himself and eventually in many cases losing it.

Andy is a valued member of the team but in my opinion, his first reaction when he receives possession is to hold the ball takes too many touches and doesn't release early enough which is becoming a trait with a few of the players, play to our strength's get the ball in to the forward early burnsey,sam,decky, downey are well capable of getting the scores but they need the ball played quicker time after time sat the inside forwards sam and decky showed and ball wasn't delivered which led to them been replaced but I agree a good league campaign a win against wexford and hopefully 2 wins in the qualifiers and it will stand to them for next year.

N08CUTN (Mayo) - Posts: 145 - 02/04/2019 07:49:18    2177173

Link

Three days after the Louth match and I am still disappointed and frustrated with the result. This was a glorious opportunity to get up to Division two. Louth had the best scoring difference in the league, they beat the two promotion favourites Down and Laois, drew with Westmeath who would go up and lost to Longford who finished below them in the league and Carlow who got relegated. Next years division is gonna be tougher with Cork, Tipp, Derry, Leitrim, Down, Longford and Offaly. Wee were lucky with the travelling away this year. We could get a few long away trips to Cork, Derry, Tipp or Leitrim next year.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12140 - 02/04/2019 13:17:16    2177262

Link

Replying To joej:  "No Snowflakes here LaLu, just a product of the 70s!!"
I would say more of the 60s Joe. What's the story with the Wexford match? Are you running a bus down to it?

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12140 - 02/04/2019 13:29:05    2177264

Link

Replying To OLLIE:  "Three days after the Louth match and I am still disappointed and frustrated with the result. This was a glorious opportunity to get up to Division two. Louth had the best scoring difference in the league, they beat the two promotion favourites Down and Laois, drew with Westmeath who would go up and lost to Longford who finished below them in the league and Carlow who got relegated. Next years division is gonna be tougher with Cork, Tipp, Derry, Leitrim, Down, Longford and Offaly. Wee were lucky with the travelling away this year. We could get a few long away trips to Cork, Derry, Tipp or Leitrim next year."
I keep on Saying it

THEY ARE IN DIV 3 FOR A Reason! All beatable!

MR (Louth) - Posts: 2570 - 02/04/2019 15:44:01    2177309

Link

Replying To MR:  "I keep on Saying it

THEY ARE IN DIV 3 FOR A Reason! All beatable!"
True enough MR but when you look at Cork,Tipp, Derry and Leitrim. On paper they look stronger than Laois, Westmeath, Carlow and Sligo. A nice weekend away to Cork, Derry, Thurles or Carrick would do nicely. Wee had four away matches last year so wee will probably get four home matches this year. Home matches next year will probably be against Down and Offaly. The away match will be against Longford. So will be def have two away matches to Cork, Derry, Tipp or Leitrim.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12140 - 02/04/2019 16:31:44    2177321

Link

Replying To Anlubuchaill:  "That game was there for the taking and we failed yet again when the questions are asked.Westmeath werr very poor wouldn't come out & attack atall they'll not be long in div 2 playing like that.Mulroy was terrible yesterday his technique kicking the frees was so poor I still don't think he's worth his place on his team doesn't stand out when I see him for club either.Decky never even touched the ball but we wouldn't kick it in much in fairness.Dont know how the management looked at brannigan for so long either was headless.Tommy was all alone in the middle Califf isn't inter county standard but we don't have much choice.Downey,Bevan & clutterbuck & carolan all had very good games they play the right way by always attacking & running at the opposition.Overall not a bad league but disappointing not to finish the job when it was handed to us on a plate.Bring on Wexford now and possibly the dubs then......."
Louth did less coming out to attack. 9 scores versus 13. While your concern about how we'll manage in Div2 is appreciated, it will be up to ourselves ultimately to worry about it.

The_Biler (Westmeath) - Posts: 84 - 02/04/2019 23:07:00    2177401

Link

Replying To The_Biler:  "Louth did less coming out to attack. 9 scores versus 13. While your concern about how we'll manage in Div2 is appreciated, it will be up to ourselves ultimately to worry about it."
Nonsense talk,Westmeath player with 14 defenders the whole game they had 1 man left upfront.While Louth may have only had 9 scores they squandered a lot more chances than Westmeath.On the day both teams wer terrible but there was only 1 team actually trying to win the game....

Anlubuchaill (Louth) - Posts: 77 - 03/04/2019 06:47:25    2177428

Link

Replying To OLLIE:  "True enough MR but when you look at Cork,Tipp, Derry and Leitrim. On paper they look stronger than Laois, Westmeath, Carlow and Sligo. A nice weekend away to Cork, Derry, Thurles or Carrick would do nicely. Wee had four away matches last year so wee will probably get four home matches this year. Home matches next year will probably be against Down and Offaly. The away match will be against Longford. So will be def have two away matches to Cork, Derry, Tipp or Leitrim."
Carrick and Cork would be nice, true enough.

MR (Louth) - Posts: 2570 - 03/04/2019 09:30:16    2177437

Link

Well said buachaill

Well Ollie, not sure about the bus, a lot of lads going down on saturday but i have prior arrangements and looks like the train on Sunday morning. Early start though! Ony train that suits is an 8.55 am that gets into WF at 12.50.

joej (Louth) - Posts: 1509 - 03/04/2019 13:16:14    2177480

Link

Replying To joej:  "Well said buachaill

Well Ollie, not sure about the bus, a lot of lads going down on saturday but i have prior arrangements and looks like the train on Sunday morning. Early start though! Ony train that suits is an 8.55 am that gets into WF at 12.50."
Saturday night down in Wexford would be great. That weekend there is a lot of first Communions and Confirmations on plus on that Sunday it's the last day of the Premership. Should be a great weekend.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12140 - 03/04/2019 13:25:38    2177483

Link

Ollie you are like the Oracle!!

joej (Louth) - Posts: 1509 - 03/04/2019 15:01:25    2177507

Link

Replying To joej:  "Ollie you are like the Oracle!!"
Thank you Joe. I will take that as a compliment.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12140 - 03/04/2019 16:28:16    2177527

Link