Louth Forum

Dundalk GAA Territory

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Money changed hands when the territory was ceeded so only money is going to get it reversed. The GAA won't do anything without Meath GAA agreeing in full to it so their palms will have to be crossed with silver.

Ihateforums (Louth) - Posts: 103 - 13/12/2018 16:43:39    2154223

Link

Some interesting posts, I always thought that the entrance to the Boyne Valley hotel was the boundary when heading in to Mordor and Stameen was part of Meath, I didn't know it was in Louth until quite recently. Looking at the map am I right to think that Wheaton Hall, Five Oaks, Stameen, and all the estates up around Blackbush/Bryanstown are feeding kids in to Colmcille's? If so that's a seriously large area to be ceeding to another county and a lot of potential players the Wolf Tones/Louth are missing out on. If only the Mhuire's had to have survived for a few more years who knows what might have been? Although they not having their own home would have been a challenge. They always used St Mary's DS pitch in my time or maybe that was the other way around, I am not sure and could be corrected as to who owned the grounds, possibly the parish of St Mary's either?

SmallBoy (Louth) - Posts: 284 - 14/12/2018 13:51:53    2154271

Link

You are partly right small boy. The CBS now St Marys DS used the Mhuires pitch which is now Black Bush Avenue. They had 2 pitches and a small dressing room just at the entrance. You are also correct about losing lots of players to a Meath club and possibly county. The Tones are well aware of this issue. Lots of Dubs living in those estates with no club or county affinity. Also the CC have had lots of success so its a bit like the Blues factor. The CC have 2/3 teams at each age group, no team in Louth will have this issue. Some parents would rather have little Jonny or Mary playing 10 mins a game due to the numbers rather than a full game with a team like the Tones. No X factor you see. Also there us a snobbery element to it, my child must be a winner. Its the age we live in.

joej (Louth) - Posts: 1509 - 14/12/2018 19:34:43    2154311

Link

Replying To joej:  "You are partly right small boy. The CBS now St Marys DS used the Mhuires pitch which is now Black Bush Avenue. They had 2 pitches and a small dressing room just at the entrance. You are also correct about losing lots of players to a Meath club and possibly county. The Tones are well aware of this issue. Lots of Dubs living in those estates with no club or county affinity. Also the CC have had lots of success so its a bit like the Blues factor. The CC have 2/3 teams at each age group, no team in Louth will have this issue. Some parents would rather have little Jonny or Mary playing 10 mins a game due to the numbers rather than a full game with a team like the Tones. No X factor you see. Also there us a snobbery element to it, my child must be a winner. Its the age we live in."
Sadly this is true. There isn't a country club element to it where mentors tend not to ignore kids/families because they could lose a whole family in a small area. There is a growing sense of "yeah but we want to win" creeping into clubs on the commuter belt.

S.M (Louth) - Posts: 88 - 02/01/2019 11:32:41    2155446

Link