Louth Forum

Lads I Hated Playing Against

(Oldest Posts First)

every player has some players they hate playing against and they're usually the same lads you look forward to playing against once you've played them a few times. some were better, faster, stronger but others were just hard as nails or awkward.

my list with some grouped because they were similar types of player:

- Gerry Reynolds (Stabannon) and Cathal O'Hanlon (Clans) - skillful, fast and with, low center of gravity, the hits felt harder and the blows were lower
- John O'Brien (SOMs) and Nicky Malone (Dunleer) - fast, wirey and hit really hard, went into the tackle all-in, and ran all day
- Noel Healy (Monasterboice) - he was at the end of his career when I played him and he was a tank
- Ollie McD (Joes) - most likely to just run around you. It was embarrassing.
- Mickey Callan (Kevins) - Bbig Mickey was best left with a yard of space... otherwise, he'd hurt you, most often not on purpose
- Mark Stanfield (O'Connells) - mixed it up, skillful and would usually leave you with a memento on the days you had the upper hand
- Peter Butterly (Barrs) - this is going back but Butsie in his prime was the hardest (and most honest) player of my age group, especially at underage. Brick walls were meant for running through with butsie.
- Stephen Melia (Mitchells/Joes) - he was everywhere and you couldn't get him off you
- McCarraghers (Cooley) and Matthews' (Kevins) - there were armies of them and it felt like it was blow for blow with the whole family
- Eugene Marmion (Roche) - think he was playing junior in his forties and I was a very young (16 or 17). He caught everything and lorded it. Class act.

Lots of others that I'm forgetting now or that I never played against.

level (Louth) - Posts: 98 - 28/10/2018 19:36:34    2148519

Link

Click Clarke for me. He was the Gooch of the great Tones team back in the day. He was some man for scoring on and off the pitch.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12140 - 30/10/2018 10:24:08    2148693

Link

Sean Mccann - A leader in the Gaels on and off the pitch. They missed him this year.

DundalkGael (Louth) - Posts: 852 - 31/10/2018 11:24:16    2148844

Link

Replying To DundalkGael:  "Sean Mccann - A leader in the Gaels on and off the pitch. They missed him this year."
Did you play with him or against him?

davetherave (Louth) - Posts: 77 - 31/10/2018 18:35:35    2148924

Link