Louth Forum

Medal Trivia

(Oldest Posts First)

By my reckoning, in winning a Junior last Sunday, Peter Nixon has a unique clean sweep of Louth medals. I think that he won an Intermediate and Senior with the Mahony's in 2014 and 2016. Does anyone know of any other player with all three medals?

LaLu (Louth) - Posts: 204 - 12/10/2018 10:17:31    2146176

Link

Replying To LaLu:  "By my reckoning, in winning a Junior last Sunday, Peter Nixon has a unique clean sweep of Louth medals. I think that he won an Intermediate and Senior with the Mahony's in 2014 and 2016. Does anyone know of any other player with all three medals?"
I think Martin Farrelly has won junior & inter with Dunleer & senior with the Joes.

TopDog(lu) (Louth) - Posts: 145 - 12/10/2018 13:22:33    2146219

Link

Mickey Rossiter from Oliver Plunketts and then of Newtown Blues (a natural progression for a good footballer in droghdea) has a Minor, Junior, Intermediate and Senior winners medals he may possibly have an U21 too. Ollie might clarify.

FBC (Louth) - Posts: 101 - 12/10/2018 15:39:59    2146249

Link

Replying To FBC:  "Mickey Rossiter from Oliver Plunketts and then of Newtown Blues (a natural progression for a good footballer in droghdea) has a Minor, Junior, Intermediate and Senior winners medals he may possibly have an U21 too. Ollie might clarify."
Jumping from one club to another in order to get a senior medal is not a natural progression for anyone . Walking out on the club that introduced you to the game and that coached you and nurtured you is totally unacceptable .

Greengrass (Louth) - Posts: 5013 - 12/10/2018 16:47:23    2146256

Link

Nixon rejoined the young Irelands in 2016 so i think he missed out.
Great achievement by Rossiter winning all 3

pd73 (Louth) - Posts: 317 - 12/10/2018 18:56:57    2146281

Link

Replying To Greengrass:  "Jumping from one club to another in order to get a senior medal is not a natural progression for anyone . Walking out on the club that introduced you to the game and that coached you and nurtured you is totally unacceptable ."
Rossiter won a minor championship with Newtown blues then a Joe Ward in 1981. He started with them before he was with the Plunketts.

moresthepity (Louth) - Posts: 223 - 12/10/2018 21:37:22    2146294

Link

Nixon left the SOM st the end of 2015...id say he regrets that

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 12/10/2018 23:22:00    2146303

Link

I don't think Nixon was with SOM when they won senior, he was the year they lost the final and then he left.

There should never be a case of a lad going from Plunketts to blues or vice versa the two clubs are beside each other.

Frederick (Louth) - Posts: 474 - 13/10/2018 09:50:29    2146316

Link

Sure even one of Drogheda's finest - Colin Kelly - played with the O'Raghallaighs until his late teens. Then he won a senior championship in his first season with Newtown Blues

moresthepity (Louth) - Posts: 223 - 13/10/2018 11:14:47    2146319

Link

Replying To Frederick:  "I don't think Nixon was with SOM when they won senior, he was the year they lost the final and then he left.

There should never be a case of a lad going from Plunketts to blues or vice versa the two clubs are beside each other."
No there not the O'Raghs is in the middle of them. It seems living in Drogheda you can play with who ever you feel like playing for is it the same in Dundalk ?

TopDog(lu) (Louth) - Posts: 145 - 13/10/2018 11:54:40    2146324

Link

Replying To TopDog(lu):  "No there not the O'Raghs is in the middle of them. It seems living in Drogheda you can play with who ever you feel like playing for is it the same in Dundalk ?"
I think the attachment to one club is stronger in Dundalk. Transfers between clubs in the town happen less often I think than in Drogheda.

moresthepity (Louth) - Posts: 223 - 13/10/2018 17:13:40    2146371

Link

To many meath men in drogheda

bennypoor (Louth) - Posts: 345 - 13/10/2018 19:50:11    2146387

Link

Replying To TopDog(lu):  "No there not the O'Raghs is in the middle of them. It seems living in Drogheda you can play with who ever you feel like playing for is it the same in Dundalk ?"
Transfers do happen, but to be honest they are of little impact, players that can't get games or something. Take Dundalk Gaels, SOM and the Clans. You will not see a transfer happen between these clubs, and they are the towns big clubs. It won't happen. There is too much rivalry between them. The Nixon's thing with the omahonys was a farce, but that was after a falling out with the club, and the Irelanders and Na Piarsaich wouldn't be seen as big teams at all, but definitely between Gaels, SOM and Clans there would be nothing happening, unless someone can pull up a transfer that I can't think of

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 13/10/2018 21:22:01    2146393

Link

Replying To GAAdundalk:  "Transfers do happen, but to be honest they are of little impact, players that can't get games or something. Take Dundalk Gaels, SOM and the Clans. You will not see a transfer happen between these clubs, and they are the towns big clubs. It won't happen. There is too much rivalry between them. The Nixon's thing with the omahonys was a farce, but that was after a falling out with the club, and the Irelanders and Na Piarsaich wouldn't be seen as big teams at all, but definitely between Gaels, SOM and Clans there would be nothing happening, unless someone can pull up a transfer that I can't think of"
Young Ireland's most certainly are seen as a big team in Dundalk, after all they have won almost as many Joe ward's as Gaels, SOM and Clans combined and represented Louth in the first ever all-ireland football final.

I don't know why you lump them in with Naps, who were only established in the eighties and have nothing like the history of Young Ireland's.

But I agree with your overall point about transfers being rare in Dundalk between most clubs in the town due to rivalry, tradition etc.

moresthepity (Louth) - Posts: 223 - 14/10/2018 10:22:03    2146425

Link

Replying To moresthepity:  "Young Ireland's most certainly are seen as a big team in Dundalk, after all they have won almost as many Joe ward's as Gaels, SOM and Clans combined and represented Louth in the first ever all-ireland football final.

I don't know why you lump them in with Naps, who were only established in the eighties and have nothing like the history of Young Ireland's.

But I agree with your overall point about transfers being rare in Dundalk between most clubs in the town due to rivalry, tradition etc."
Well to be honest I'm talking about the present, I know they have great history going as far back as the start of the GAA, but competitive wise I meant they would be 4th of the 5 town teams at the moment.im my opinion the town is only big enough for 3 teams, 5 teams is a lot

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 14/10/2018 13:23:44    2146441

Link

Replying To GAAdundalk:  "Well to be honest I'm talking about the present, I know they have great history going as far back as the start of the GAA, but competitive wise I meant they would be 4th of the 5 town teams at the moment.im my opinion the town is only big enough for 3 teams, 5 teams is a lot"
As a Drawda man the two big town teams to me were always D.Y.I and the Clans. Are there not six GAA football clubs in Dundalk? D.Y.I, Naps, Gaels, S.OM, Clans and D,Hill. Which club would have the biggest catchment area and which club would have the smallest catchment area?

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12140 - 14/10/2018 13:45:08    2146444

Link

Replying To GAAdundalk:  "Well to be honest I'm talking about the present, I know they have great history going as far back as the start of the GAA, but competitive wise I meant they would be 4th of the 5 town teams at the moment.im my opinion the town is only big enough for 3 teams, 5 teams is a lot"
don't forget about Dowdallshill now, there are 6 teams in Dundalk really. although unfortunately they are a very distant 6th in terms of competitiveness.

moresthepity (Louth) - Posts: 223 - 14/10/2018 13:50:48    2146445

Link

Yes indeed in my haste I forgot about Dowdallshill, they are probably the smallest catchment area, it's a wonder they're still going.

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 14/10/2018 15:16:52    2146450

Link

At the minute the 3 that are operating at a higher level in terms of ability are the Gaels, Clans and SOM. Goes around in cycles however.

LiathroidiMor (Louth) - Posts: 243 - 18/10/2018 11:55:40    2147101

Link