Louth Forum

The Hurlers Struggle

(Oldest Posts First)

http://www.hoganstand.com/louth/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=271981

Anyone got an opinion on this?
Was he right to name names?
Will the 2 lads consider going back to the panel having been named ?
This also raises the club v county issue, not usually an issue in louth hurling, but given the 2 lads play their club hurling elsewhere?

Man in a ditch (Louth) - Posts: 321 - 22/06/2017 12:29:30    2003491

Link

Replying To Man in a ditch:  "http://www.hoganstand.com/louth/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=271981

Anyone got an opinion on this?
Was he right to name names?
Will the 2 lads consider going back to the panel having been named ?
This also raises the club v county issue, not usually an issue in louth hurling, but given the 2 lads play their club hurling elsewhere?"
Don't agree with naming players like that should have stayed inside the team. I was at the Derry game and in fairness the players put in a very good performance. I'd say more players would play if the set up was better and more professional. If players didn't want to play this year what's going to change next year

Dunne1505 (Louth) - Posts: 28 - 22/06/2017 17:00:50    2003654

Link

I think naming the players was wrong too, should have been kept in house, but it was probably born from his frustration.

On the players who play their club hurling elsewhere, it is natural they will put the club first, to be honest, Louth lads will put the club first too, but I think a club v county fixture clash is less likely for those guys.

It does raise the question though, are these lads playing / training with the county to keep their fitness and skills up for the club back home?

Im not suggesting anyone is in the wrong by doing that, but would Louth be better off having a fully committed but perhaps less talented group of players in the squad, than perhaps a squad of more skillful players, but who are not fully committed to the cause.

Man in a ditch (Louth) - Posts: 321 - 23/06/2017 11:42:09    2003931

Link

Replying To Man in a ditch:  "I think naming the players was wrong too, should have been kept in house, but it was probably born from his frustration.

On the players who play their club hurling elsewhere, it is natural they will put the club first, to be honest, Louth lads will put the club first too, but I think a club v county fixture clash is less likely for those guys.

It does raise the question though, are these lads playing / training with the county to keep their fitness and skills up for the club back home?

Im not suggesting anyone is in the wrong by doing that, but would Louth be better off having a fully committed but perhaps less talented group of players in the squad, than perhaps a squad of more skillful players, but who are not fully committed to the cause."
After their record this year they should be wanted back and after naming and shaming 2 players for something countless outside players have done in the past they should be run straight away. the reason the players do not want to play for them is the same reason they were thrown out of the dressing room at half time during the all Ireland B final a few years back by their Meath side they are tactically clueless and their training leaves a lot to be desired.

LemonySnickett (Louth) - Posts: 82 - 23/06/2017 13:13:32    2003977

Link

From what I've heard from members on the panel, it was a very poor setup this year. It sounds like their methods don't inspire much confidence with the panel. However I do agree with the point that they need full commitment from the whole panel if they are to move forward. As for the two boys mentioned, probably shouldn't of been singled out but there have always been boys from down the country picked for Louth based on merits and not abilities. These boys come and go regularly and I wouldn't say they are a massive loss.

SamWarburton7 (Australia) - Posts: 19 - 23/06/2017 14:24:49    2004021

Link

I think what has happened with that article will not encourage players at all, if anything they will lose more players. Really don't agree with naming any players. Should be sorted in the dressing room, it's just shifting the blame for a winless season. Whatever happens will louth hurling improve with this management team. I'd like a management team from in the county that knows the players available and build on that. We have very good coaches in all 5 clubs surely we should draw from that.

Dunne1505 (Louth) - Posts: 28 - 23/06/2017 18:02:58    2004125

Link

Think you're missing the point here boys. These two lads have agreed to play for Louth. They get to train with Louth Use all the best facilities supplied free of charge, They have all their expenses paid Physio, Doctor, Training, Gear, Meals and everything that goes with representing your county. Yet when they were needed they went back to play a league game with their club. Am I missing something here or is this not the height of disrespect to the GAA people of Louth and Louth Hurling ? For some people to come on here and defend this is absurd . Louth Co.Board had to raise the money to pay for all this, the least they expect in return is for the lads to play. I think the manager is dead right to point this out. He also pointed out that other lads had to play who were not 100% fit due to this. If these lads didn't want to represent the county to the best of their ability then why were they there.
I don't know what the set up was but it worked for the Meath u21's last year. Didn't hear of them being trown out of the dressing room at half time in that game as I watched it on telly and the manager was there and interviewed after the match.

latouche25 (Meath) - Posts: 271 - 26/06/2017 16:42:43    2005874

Link

Replying To latouche25:  "Think you're missing the point here boys. These two lads have agreed to play for Louth. They get to train with Louth Use all the best facilities supplied free of charge, They have all their expenses paid Physio, Doctor, Training, Gear, Meals and everything that goes with representing your county. Yet when they were needed they went back to play a league game with their club. Am I missing something here or is this not the height of disrespect to the GAA people of Louth and Louth Hurling ? For some people to come on here and defend this is absurd . Louth Co.Board had to raise the money to pay for all this, the least they expect in return is for the lads to play. I think the manager is dead right to point this out. He also pointed out that other lads had to play who were not 100% fit due to this. If these lads didn't want to represent the county to the best of their ability then why were they there.
I don't know what the set up was but it worked for the Meath u21's last year. Didn't hear of them being trown out of the dressing room at half time in that game as I watched it on telly and the manager was there and interviewed after the match."
Spot on.

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 482 - 26/06/2017 19:19:33    2005966

Link

Replying To latouche25:  "Think you're missing the point here boys. These two lads have agreed to play for Louth. They get to train with Louth Use all the best facilities supplied free of charge, They have all their expenses paid Physio, Doctor, Training, Gear, Meals and everything that goes with representing your county. Yet when they were needed they went back to play a league game with their club. Am I missing something here or is this not the height of disrespect to the GAA people of Louth and Louth Hurling ? For some people to come on here and defend this is absurd . Louth Co.Board had to raise the money to pay for all this, the least they expect in return is for the lads to play. I think the manager is dead right to point this out. He also pointed out that other lads had to play who were not 100% fit due to this. If these lads didn't want to represent the county to the best of their ability then why were they there.
I don't know what the set up was but it worked for the Meath u21's last year. Didn't hear of them being trown out of the dressing room at half time in that game as I watched it on telly and the manager was there and interviewed after the match."
Agree that the players did the wrong thing, but clearly these players don't care about louth hurling, I don't agree with this rule anyway we have enough players playing for louth clubs that should be brought in. Surely we should have a rule only players playing in the county can play for louth. I just thought it should be dealt with in camp and not in public is my point.

Dunne1505 (Louth) - Posts: 28 - 28/06/2017 12:47:01    2006782

Link

They get to train with Louth Use all the best facilities supplied free of charge, They have all their expenses paid Physio, Doctor, Training, Gear, Meals and everything that goes with representing your county. Yet when they were needed they went back to play a league game with their club. Am I missing something here or is this not the height of disrespect to the GAA people of Louth and Louth Hurling ?

Good point there, I assumed it would have been a championship game they went back for, was it definitely a league game?

Man in a ditch (Louth) - Posts: 321 - 28/06/2017 12:49:27    2006784

Link

anybody got any thoughts on the final this weekend. Predictions?

Man in a ditch (Louth) - Posts: 321 - 20/09/2017 17:33:04    2048671

Link

Replying To Man in a ditch:  "They get to train with Louth Use all the best facilities supplied free of charge, They have all their expenses paid Physio, Doctor, Training, Gear, Meals and everything that goes with representing your county. Yet when they were needed they went back to play a league game with their club. Am I missing something here or is this not the height of disrespect to the GAA people of Louth and Louth Hurling ?

Good point there, I assumed it would have been a championship game they went back for, was it definitely a league game?"
a little known rule of the GAA's is that if a hurler playing for a second county under the special eligibility provisions for hurling is faced with a clash between playing a championship game for that county and one for his club, he must play for his club. Therefore if it was championship the players simply had no choice but to play at home

LemonySnickett (Louth) - Posts: 82 - 03/11/2017 14:37:03    2060131

Link