Leitrim Forum

How can we improve underage football ?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Cloone I mean in relation to the above post

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 316 - 14/11/2012 13:59:00    1297593

Link

If you were a decent player from Cloone and had no team to play on why would you join Aughavas when you could join Mohill and maybe win something. Not even from South Leitrim myself but you cant fault the young lad from Cloone if hes a decent player.

Grey_Wolf (Leitrim) - Posts: 226 - 14/11/2012 14:30:54    1297626

Link

dont think anyones faulting the young lad just cant see the logic of taking two cloone players in and leaving 13 Mohill players on the bench just doesnt make sense but good luck to them if thats what they want to do, just dont expect to be having to listen to a lecture on how this is the way forward for Leitrim football.

tarasy (Leitrim) - Posts: 12 - 14/11/2012 14:37:26    1297632

Link

Thats always the way football works in Leitrim. Ya often get a Junior B team does well with 6 or 7 young lads on the team who've been training all year. Team gets near the final. Some old veterans crawl out of the woodwork who haven't trained all year and they get drafted in ahead of the young lads who are then dropped just so the team can win the Cup. Seen that happening since I ever kicked a ball and I've seen it happen in other counties than Leitrim as well.

Grey_Wolf (Leitrim) - Posts: 226 - 14/11/2012 17:28:57    1297764

Link

I cant agree more with you more 'Grey_Wolf' These days it looks like managers tend to believe in the owl proverb, ' The older the fiddle the sweeter the tune'

However the youth bring creativity and skill to the field, managers should recognize that ' You cant teach an old dog new tricks'.

Let the younger lads finish the job they started, Only way to develop them as future players.

LetHerAtIt (Leitrim) - Posts: 65 - 14/11/2012 18:33:45    1297817

Link

Was it not passed by bord na nog a few years ago that all clubs that were amalgamated were supposed to play 15 a side,and that all clubs with 18 players or more had to play 15 a side.So why was there no 15 a side under sixteen championship,county board not doing there job and clubs trying to win at all costs.

saintly (Leitrim) - Posts: 536 - 14/11/2012 18:40:36    1297818

Link

Well said Saintly. Having said that there were no amalgamated teams at u16 this year. this sort of rubbish would not have been tolerated in Declan Bohans tenure. Ive said it before and i will continue to. At 15 and 16 years clubs should be forced to join with their neighbours in order to have a 15 a side u16 championship so that young lad can start to be properly prepared for the rigours of Tedd Webb and onwards to county minor teams. Surely we should give it a try. It can be no worse than the farce that passed as u16 this year. Even John Connolly in the Observer has said we need to revamp

badsilage (Leitrim) - Posts: 149 - 15/11/2012 15:26:27    1298208

Link

Regional League format best way to get lads playin 15 a side at U16 and Minor level, 24 clubs in he county, 8 team league makes numerical and geographical sense top 4 play off for final.. Maintain the current championship format with the stipulation that the A championship is amalgamations only OR flip it so that Championship is run off the above suggested league format and maintain 9-11-13-15 league format as I said before some of the best players in te county played 9-11 the whole way up..

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 316 - 16/11/2012 13:33:35    1298617

Link

And is it any wonder...so many players come out of the 9 and 11 a side teams and make the transition to county at just the same rate as players in the 15 a side even regularly proving to be able to adapt a lot better.. To close these gradings would be impractical logistically,politically(do you not wonder why bors and duff would prefer enter no team instead of joining up)and ignorant to the real problems that stagnate the underage scene. And its a bit rich the very poster that opened this thread lamenting our current state are the ones causing the issues. Instead of preaching on how we Must improve It would fit them better to get their own house in order! would be a start.

fresherman (Leitrim) - Posts: 218 - 16/11/2012 15:32:06    1298707

Link

Grey wolf probably the truest words ever said

The young lads win the junior games an when the championship starts the relatives crawl out of the woodwork and are named in the first 17

Just for publicity and so the family can have a get together and then loose the game and championship that these young lads trained so hard all year for

It's common knowledge that this happen in Leitrim football and the players are normally spectators on the bench whole the smoked out expat heros fight their way into relegation

And normally when a player kicks up about it he is told to shut up by a manager that probably has a holiday booked and misses important championship games

So when ya sit back and look at it it makes a total laughing stock out of the meaning of Leitrim football

Politicians the ruination of football

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 16/11/2012 16:26:40    1298762

Link

Had to laugh at posters including know it alls in the observer spouting nonsense that there needs to be underage revamp to improve standards? Urgent need to re-assess on what basis?Go to the few remaining real clubs and see the work that is being done on the ground. And there saying its not good enough?.. If every club was like manor we wouldn't be looking for answers that are staring us in the face!..If they were at the Manor kiltoghert game they'd know who is doing their best to improve the standard and its not the manufactured amalgamation(the likes of which posters are proposing to introduce across all grades?) Manor showed what a real TEAM is: one that has pride in their crest and have been coached properly to a high standard. Clubs need to wake up and see the worth in being competitive on their own. Follow Manors lead(four time champions wonder how?) and do the work at underage level. Ye will benefit more and the county will then have a stronger foundation to work from.

fresherman (Leitrim) - Posts: 218 - 20/11/2012 19:12:03    1300576

Link

How can we improve underage football ? I suggest publicly berating our current stars and under mining their efforts. There are a few people on he hg who genuinely want improve the standards but from what I can see others are simply talking up club mates or venting frustration at the people who are out there doing the work and being the difference. A little encouragement might be the best option.

1nightstand (Leitrim) - Posts: 77 - 21/11/2012 21:05:09    1301243

Link

Would you be a regular attendee to the underage set up in your club week evenings and Saturday blitzes?

If you were you would recognise the volunteers that turn out and donate their valuable time I the children of the parish/club?

Of course whilst the political leaders take the fame and glory for showing up with 5 minutes to go and give the speech about how personally overwhelmed they are about themselves thus forgetting the most important reason for the event the CHILDREN from age 3-4 up to minor and the VOLUNTEERS that look after them EVERY week

So make sure the trap door is firmly shut and remember the modern GAA logo NOTHING BEATS BEING THERE! (Every week)

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 22/11/2012 12:59:30    1301403

Link

The post was started so as we could all try to move on TOGETHER as a county to try and compete at Provincial level. Is that such a bad thing ? Petty grouching at each other is not the way forward. We can all have opinions because thankfully we are not under the rule of Communist Russia from years back. Some people talk about work at underage. Matt Gaffey, Eamonn McGowan, Terry McMauns (Manor) and Martin Kenny RIP from Carrigallen have all put in their life giving to underage teams in their clubs. Fantastic workers.

Underage work becomes easy when you have a group of between 15 to 20 young lads born in an area within a year or two. Gortletteragh had that in late 70's and early 80's. Then Aughawillans great team from the 80's to the 90's had men all around the one age. Allen Gaels came along then with a bunch of men of similar age. Manors team from the past few year are also similar. There are a few young lads coming through now too. The current group of 15, 16 and 17 year olds in Mohill are in that category. And after that group we will see Fenagh emerge. Work at underage is easy (easier) when you have the numbers.

Mohill took 2 Cloone players of 15 to 16 in to play football. Two lads who both would agree were average but now due to training at a higher level, and playing as part of balanced teams both are now integral parts of the underage county teams that they are with.

I know that some people have tunnel vision and can see no further than the parish boundary but let us give our young lads a chance. Encourage them to get involved at county level. If they are beaten dont slag and berate them, but tell them that the next day is the important one. Leitrim forever.

badsilage (Leitrim) - Posts: 149 - 23/11/2012 09:10:47    1301768

Link

Bad Silage, well stated argument. The men you mentioned have been great at getting the best out of players for years, but the dearth of men of that calibre following behind them is problem. Also Patsy Guckian of St Marys, Gerry Mahon of Ballinamore, Declan Bohan, Andy Redican were other great man years ago who were brilliant at developing great players. There are others also I know.
There are too many parents involved with little or no knowledge how to coach, some bring the training they got in primary school thirty years earlier to use and that is the extent of their knowledge. Underage part of the club should be a separate AGM where there is a clear structure and plan implemented within each club. Interested parents should be sent on coaching courses. The club should have an ethos where win at all costs attitude should be traded for developing every child's skill level and knowledge of the rules to much higher level than it is now. The old adage that you are only as strong as your weakest link would be a great mantra for every coach to stop neglecting the weaker underage players because with growth spurts, injuries, emigration that player could turn out to be the clubs most important player in a few years. The best age to develop good technique and habits in children is 8-14 years old.

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 206 - 23/11/2012 12:54:56    1301875

Link

po3notion you are like me in that you appear to want to drive us forward. I named the 3 or 4 men in my post conscious that i couldn't name everyone that has promoted youth in their clubs. Everyone knows these men and women. It was good at last to read a post that wasn't scathing or insulting to other posters or clubs in relation to amalgamations or club numbers. The sad reality nowadays is smaller families and immigration means less numbers for our clubs. Where once a club would have had 2 sets of 3 and 4 brothers we might only have one lad in a house - and he may not even want to play. Hopefully we can try to develop what we have and if that means joining up in order to prevent a 13 yr old getting demoralised at u16 level or an 11yr old at u14 let us do that.

badsilage (Leitrim) - Posts: 149 - 23/11/2012 13:25:17    1301896

Link

Terry is d main reason behind manors success. Personally I tink its up to clubs to have good coaches n place and frm wat I've heard frm a lot of underage players in my own club ya can't but be impressed by d committed attitude that dey have thru county like diets weights

Piratehooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 197 - 23/11/2012 15:49:47    1302013

Link