Leitrim Forum

Underage domination

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Fenagh underage is as strong or stronger then any other club. Despite fenaghs small numbers they have won as much or more cups then any other club in the county. This is evident that fenagh have 5 current minors starting on there first team and are still highly competitive in there division and are only going to become stronger in the next few seasons. So who ever says that fenaghs underage system is not effective is clearly only frustrated at there own underage system.

tomd1ckandharry (Leitrim) - Posts: 2 - 23/06/2012 14:06:07    1200364

Link

what have the fenagh won in the last few years apart from a few 9 a-side leagues,you also forgot to mention that those 5 county minors failed to win the 9 a-side league a few months ago.

leitrim101 (Leitrim) - Posts: 14 - 23/06/2012 14:21:49    1200373

Link

Is a Fenagh man over the Leitrim Minors? They got absolutely slaughtered in the U-21's this year, albeit to the eventual winners but it certainly couldn't have been a team with 5 county minors that would lose so heavily! St.Francis the team who incidentally won the U-21 championship only have one county minor playing and 3 U-21's none of which were on the starting team in the U-21 championship in Sligo.

LeitrimDaddy (Leitrim) - Posts: 82 - 23/06/2012 18:29:05    1200527

Link

LeitrimDaddy gudlad

GAALAAAD (Leitrim) - Posts: 18 - 24/06/2012 19:32:09    1201227

Link

i also noticed that of last years minor final there was 0 players on the starting 15 on the county minors, it just shows the lack of knowledge of leitrim managers

pinkyman (Leitrim) - Posts: 58 - 27/06/2012 12:21:45    1203377

Link

Mark mc groary was one of the top players with ballinamore that won the minor championship, last year and could not make the starting 15 or even come on as a sub.What kind of managment is over the minors they are a pure joke , are we that good that we can leave a player like mc grory on the line.But to tel the player that he forgot him now that is a joke,that is what we are dealing with bad managers and bad appointments as managers by the county board.

saintly (Leitrim) - Posts: 536 - 27/06/2012 14:40:35    1203543

Link

I think you can not blame the management for everything. The main problem in this county which is starting to show up in senior level is the underage structure of the county teams. If you look through the years at rosscommon and cavan their underage structures very good and results have showed it works as both counties have won titles almost year after year. Leitrim gaa needs a huge revamp starting at under14s get a group of lads together look after them untill under 16 give them a good weights plan and in the winter months have 3 gym sessions a week with them bulid them up into minor where they will be as strong and as big as the man playing against them. then keep that team in the gym untill under21s. thats what other counties are doing and its why leitrim is so far behind

daviedrohwell (Leitrim) - Posts: 17 - 27/06/2012 15:01:48    1203583

Link

@daviedrohwell I agree but the county board are putting it into practice with the U-16s in the gym since december, so there slowly coping on. But lets not kid ourselves size is only a small portion, its all mainly about what you can do with a ball, and at this moment in time were only producing 2 or 3 at each age level that are fit to hold and play with a ball required for county standard. I believe when training everything is done with a ball other then a few sprints without it, and there should be enough balls for every man to have one in his hands the whole training session. Forget this muck of running for 4 weeks without a ball to get fit. These are young boys and men they'll get fit quick naturally, the main thing is to get them comfortable on the ball, Catching it, running with it, shooting and most importantly kicking it. This should be implemented from U-14 up, and get a panel were there is no one weak with a ball in hand. Whoever is manageing should travel around and watch as many club games as possible to see if theres any that can be brought into the panel, its something so simple but even the senior management cant be bothered to do it. At each level the team should be made to play to there strengths not brought in to fit an already chosen gameplan for example if you have 5 or 6 small talented players dont sacrifice one or two of them for less talented taller men. This seems to happen at every age level where big men who are only chosen for there size are replacing smaller better players, As I said earlier its not all about size.

inthebag (Leitrim) - Posts: 90 - 27/06/2012 17:08:22    1203733

Link

alot of people are talking about poor underage work being done in our county. and after seeing the results last weekend in both minor and senior maybe people are right. but i was at an Aughavas under 14 game on wednesday evening and the quality at that age level was as good as you would see anywhere in the country, my assesment is that up to under 17 age level we are as good as anybody, its the final development at the older level that we have to work on. not playing our best players like mark mcGrory is a joke, it says enough that in last years leitrim minor team, not one player who was playing in the club minor championship final was playing against galway. we can compete if our best players are treated well. the likes of Gerard Curran, Brian Boyle, Keelan Creamer, steven flynn and many more should have at least been called up to the minor trials, not bring on these consistent players is where we are going wrong!

LetHerAtIt (Leitrim) - Posts: 65 - 29/06/2012 16:57:38    1205114

Link

some quality players mentioned there

hoganmister (Leitrim) - Posts: 5 - 29/06/2012 18:28:16    1205170

Link

hi folks. im new to this and will take awhile to get used to my comments. I enjoy reews and while I agree with some of them --others i differ with!

just testing to see if this comes up.

thetruthteller (Leitrim) - Posts: 10 - 29/06/2012 20:45:08    1205254

Link

If ye're looking for an indication of the future the Fr Manning Cup is being played now on Wednesday evenings, the county U16's under Enda Lyons playing the likes of Roscommon, Sligo, Cavan W'Meath, etc... I was at the Longford game there a few days ago, score was a 1-15 to 0-9 loss but Leitrim were better than that, the showed it in flashes. Soft turnovers killed us, surely gifted longfrod 0-7, and aside from maybe 4 lads, our were a relatively small bunch height wise.

That said if they could get the forwards scoring from play they could be a very lively team that could make a decent outfit at minor level, apparently from what I know a lot of them were playing out of position too , i.e. backs playing as forwards, forwards as backs, based on their size for the position, and ya could see that too, definitely hindered the team a bit.

dodgypass (Leitrim) - Posts: 53 - 30/06/2012 11:59:43    1205377

Link

dodgypass leitrim under 16s ended up having a great year after all when you have likes of plunkett,gaffney,mcgowan and ryan yu are gonna have a great team thr team is small yurrite der but has alot oof pace wit likes of mcnabola murphy and fowly up front they wud destry teams

yung10man (Leitrim) - Posts: 5 - 21/08/2012 17:32:58    1249416

Link

all fenagh can do is run at this stage laaaad there not used of hard hitiing they are a bit afraid if yu ask me,inih

yung10man (Leitrim) - Posts: 5 - 21/08/2012 17:34:59    1249418

Link

I understand that the U16's also reached the final of an intercounty blitz last weekend, beating Roscommon and Tyrone en route to losing to a strong Dublin team in the final. They managed this without Mohill's five pannellists who did not tog, presumably as their club didnt want to risk injury for the ongoing Minor Championship, which is disgraceful if it turns out to be the case.

However that and winning the Fr. Manning Shield and it's clear they did have a solid year in the end no doubt about it but if we really want to see improvement these lads have to be kept together at U17 and Minor, keep Lyons and Cox in charge of the team, they have height and strength up the middle, with David Mulvey, Dean McGovern and Mark Plunkett and some solid backs in Shane McGowan and Liam Ryan but the forwards need improvement, and thats not taking away from the talent that Fowley, Ward, and Co. have but they have to stick at the gym programs to compete with teams like Longford and Roscommon who were very much the Barca and Madrid of the Fr. Manning Competition this year.Individual and collective coaching sessions for all our potential intercounty Goalkeepers should be introduced also. It wouldnt be too much to ask Cathal McCrann, Phillip Farrelley and Enda Lyons to work with young keepers and develop them as it is a position which is sorely neglected coaching wise.

County Minor is an increasingly physical game to play and Leitrim minor teams of the last few years have been lacking in that , but I firmly believe the makings of a successful Connacht Minor team is there if it is brought on correctly

dodgypass (Leitrim) - Posts: 53 - 21/08/2012 21:06:56    1249582

Link

Dodypass you are right it is important to have the continuation with management set up and I think that is the intention in all squads going forward. As you say it is important that the underage structures are organised and that players are prepared and coached the same as other counties. This is being taking care of in a more focused professional environment with underage developmental squads from U14 -u17.

Colm o'rourke wrote an interesting and true article assessing the influence underage success has as a pathway to senior titles. He talked about kerrys supposed upcoming problem- their under-performing underage teams and causing problems for seniors down the line. He believed it wouldn't affect kerrys standing as a top team. The reason being that kerry are still able to blood 2 or 3 every year.
He gives his own experiences when he managed his county u21s pointing out that although not ultimately successful they were competitive and just lost out to good teams in finals and semi finals over the two years in charge. Players from those two years are now coming through and will prove integral to Meaths improvement in years to come. Many examples can be seen such as laois and westmeath underage success not reproducing on the senior stage at provincial and all ireland level. In fact there has to be at least 5 or 6 prodigys that every county had that hasn't been seen since minor. So if we are able to develop and retain 4 to 5 inter-county standard players over the course of five years we will be able to improve the current developing panel.

The task should be to remain competitive and to keep up with the other counties underage models. Initial signs look good with underage squads being coached and thought the right things from coaches who have experience not like for a lot of years where "coaching" was usually taken up by a couple of county board members and training was cancelled/ ceased after a few weeks until U16's + minors.
Players from 14,15,16 were meeting for conditioning in the off season. They were going together to get their training in and getting an insight into what will be required down the line if they make the cut. Individual groups would go outside training times to practice score taking, defence plays under guidance from coaches with experience and training courses to back them up. The current county development plan will not guarantee success but gives these potentials the best opportunity to transition themselves from underage county player to senior standard.

Dodgypass you are right the U16's took a couple of games to get going but from reports they are a talented bunch and but for the first couple of losses they could have won the competition out. I think they won the shield competition a couple of weeks ago.They also competed in a tournament in monaghan at the weekend. They played Roscommon, Dublin and tyrone. They beat roscommon. tyrone and lost to dublin. They are competing very well and that is all you can ask for.

fresherman (Leitrim) - Posts: 218 - 21/08/2012 21:57:13    1249623

Link

cloone as a club are doing the right thing by joining with mohill.

leitrim4liam (Leitrim) - Posts: 17 - 26/11/2012 21:56:58    1303266

Link