Leitrim Forum

Physical Elements of Gaelic Football

(Oldest Posts First)

Where and why has the physical elements gone out of all football games both club and county games. There are no more shoulders going in fair and hard.

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 06/06/2010 12:48:33    668812

Link

There is a simple reason for that, referees have gone soft. If you have been watching the start of the championship, you would see alot of refs are giving yellow cards for small pushes and pulling jerseys. If they are getting cards for that then imagine what they would get for a miss time shoulder. Players are nmore catious of this cause refs do pull them for being "over phyiscal". I have seen many fair shoulders and seen refs pull them case of the impact of them. If the player was hit and still standing than sometimes they would be let go, however if he was sent flying then the ref blows his whistle straight away.

This also means players find it hard too get mentally up for a game, if one is pulled for being phyiscal it is hard for the game to really get intense, that is why so many games this year have been such a bore.

And commentors go along with the ride too. They see what they think is "dirty play" and discourage when really its the only thing giving th game a bit of bite to it. The harsh truth is too many people( not the players) are too soft.

The_Harsh_Truth (Leitrim) - Posts: 14 - 06/06/2010 21:40:33    669238

Link

I agree with your statement look at the Armagh and Monaghan game yesderday Brian Mallon sent off for trying to hit Rory Woods a fair shoulder

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 07/06/2010 18:46:04    670031

Link

The game just isn't physical enough anymore

It's gone like golf

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 30/10/2012 19:53:42    1290361

Link

94allstar if you are not interested in making valid comments please stay off the forum. You dont even know which club your from. I was at a championship game with a mate of mine from mayo. He was amazed at the lack of physical challenges. Guys going down under harmless challenges and trying to get soft frees etc. As a former player id say to lads to man up and stop taking example from the prima donnas that play that other sport with woolen gloves, tights, turbo vests and something called snoods. Lets get back to our basic hit and be hit (fairly) and get on with our great game.

badsilage (Leitrim) - Posts: 149 - 03/11/2012 09:52:20    1291910

Link

Silage the difference between our posts is that you elaborated in more detail than me

They both have the same view on the game

I'm impressed by your prima Donna comment I took back bone to come out and say it

We all know the prima donnas on our teams

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 03/11/2012 10:22:01    1291916

Link