Leitrim Forum

Club Leagues

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Well lock17 I once wore the green and purple you speak of in my school days and I wouldn't mind an intermediate championship if we had a good line out of a first team

However I can't give up my chances of a senior county medal with Mary's

As you speak of the geals and county players consider this

The geals are new to intermediate championship forget about the league for now
For the past 16 years it's been junior football never senior or intermediate
The geals players have limited expierence at senior level with senior referees
And have never played a senior championship game against ourselves or manor
It's a totally different faster more skilfull game

Don't get me wrong I'm not putting down the geals what I'm saying on your views of county players is this

Next year prove your worthiness in Leitrim football by getting to an intermediate county final and win or lose then come back to us and speak of these future county players

As for Eslin they couldn't field a second team for almost 3 years now and are depending on a couple of brothers to keep them afloat

The majority of half decent players they once had are in oz

So yes it is looking like junior a and div3 for Eslin unless they pull a few players out of a cattle crush somewhere

My point about Conor and mark was not to abandon their club but to steer clear of injury and the dangers off missing a Connacht championship in 2013 that for the first time in 13 years we possibly could make a final

I'm sure with the ongoings last Sunday and the injuries that followed the majority of posters will agree with me on that

Also I think mohill should do one with the thought that the beirnes should transfer to them to prop up a town team that falls apart in the dressing room half way into a championship that they should have won

Club does come first and championship games are more important than weddings

The wedding could have been attended after the game

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 08/11/2012 11:11:30    1294547

Link

Now you are saying they should transfer to Mohill allstar, man the cornerstone of the GAA should be rebuilt with your values. Every good player should go to bigger and better clubs. While I do criticise the Beirne's, I do admire their loyalty to Eslin. If they were glory hunters they'd be long gone. Good on them.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 08/11/2012 12:30:04    1294612

Link

Anyone see Aughawillians rant in the paper this week about how long the League went on?

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 08/11/2012 14:54:59    1294754

Link

94allstar there are two eslin players abroad in Oz. Mark Beirne is in London. Eslin have what is available. For years eslin have survived with 16 and 17 of a panel. Why ? Because they love their club and their area.
lock17 each and every player that plays for eslin was born and reared there. Not from Cootehall or keadue or Drumshanbo or further afield. Maybe yee should be renamed "The United Nations". Just a thought.

badsilage (Leitrim) - Posts: 149 - 08/11/2012 14:55:32    1294758

Link

Lads read my post the lines and between them

I took a shot at mohill not Eslin I know a lot of Eslin living close enough to ye Eslin border I would have a small insight

Mohill are trying to poach the beirnes and have been for years

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 08/11/2012 17:25:15    1294929

Link

I think badsilage while your post may have been relevant a few years ago, the lynchpins of Leitrim Gaels are home grown youngsters so that was a fairly pathetic swipe. They had to start some where and in their case the players they got were unwanted baggage from their former clubs. I am not sure why clubs are taking swipes at each other, as seen from Connacht club championships might be more beneficial if they came together to get a way of improving standards instead of petty point scoring. No club really can shout at another from a pedestal, as past glories are past glories. Most posters on this forum weren't around to witness them.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 08/11/2012 20:41:48    1295040

Link

94Allstar can you lay off the Eslin lads please. Dont JUDGE CONOR!!

Dan_Toal (Leitrim) - Posts: 233 - 09/11/2012 10:16:27    1295144

Link

Do you honestly think two players can carry a team? Eslin have a few good players and this was there first bad year in the last good few years! Shane Beirne, Brian Higgins and their captain Paul Kilcrann played great for them all year! Unfortunately Shane got injured during the championship and now is in australia while higgins was suspended for their final two championship games! For the last few years Eslin have finished in D2 joint 3rd in 2010 and joint 4th in 2011..one bad year and all is being slated. People are talking about transfering clubs..is this soccer! As far I know you only transfer if your working away from home and give give the commitment to your club. Not transfer to one 5 minutes away!

But as far as Conor Beirne, if hes going to do that to Eslin, there better off without him! No man is bigger then the team!!

Eslin got relegated from division 2 by a poor Leitrim Gaels team, when two of their players are carried off one barely able to breath and the other with his leg hanging off! It was unfortunate and I wish them a speedy recovery! Bit hard for players to concentrate with that happening! See them straight back in Division 2 in 2014!!

topscorer (Leitrim) - Posts: 18 - 09/11/2012 11:59:06    1295208

Link

I could name many players that have transferred to next door clubs to play senior football or because the wrong people were in charge of teams in their home clubs

It's a known fact that mohill are trying for the beirnes in many years

But I never said they were leaving Eslin

Looks like the old wemon gossiping on the Main ballinamore to carrick road have written another book with reverse details and a bandwagon they probably hired in kilclare geals

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 09/11/2012 12:23:52    1295228

Link

Mohill are not trying to poach the Beirnes. They wouldn't go anyway. Mohill cant even get through a championship without some internal fighting. What there is and a general hope exists certainly among the younger members of both Eslin and Mohill is the possibility of an amalgamation, One can only hope this works out.

badsilage (Leitrim) - Posts: 149 - 09/11/2012 13:00:08    1295265

Link

As far as Eslin 3 senior, 0 intermediate and loads of juniors.
Some of the junior titles Eslin won were equilavent to an intermediate because junior was the second highest championship in Leitrim for alot of years.
Its great to see Eslin still putting out a team. They have the smallest pick in the county and putting out the smallest number of subs (2 i seen for the majority of champo) and yet they still made it to the quarter finals in the intermediate championship in the last 2 years getting beat narrowly on both occasions. Fair play to them; beirnes higgins kilcranns and the rest of their team and management for keeping there flag flying

skippy11 (Leitrim) - Posts: 80 - 09/11/2012 13:53:24    1295298

Link

Having wore the sky blue of Eslin for years we always struggled with numbers. But we made up for that with pride and a belief that you missed the ball your team mate would bet it. We even on occasions had to get a non playing supporter to start the second half to make up the 15. But we did it and kept the flag flying and it will keep flying for many the long year yet. Is there much difference in standard in Div 2 or 3 ?? Not a lot i would argue. We will come back up in spite of everything. And unless people know the family involved they should not judge Mossy, Mark, Conor or Chesty. Yee are only jealous because yee would love to have players of quarter their ability.

On a more serious note, best wishes to the two Dermots since last Sunday. Two horrific injuries. And from what i hear a big thanks to the Leitrim Gaels people for all their help. Two ambulances leaving a ground puts results and Div 2 or 3 into perspective.

june68 (Leitrim) - Posts: 68 - 09/11/2012 15:59:11    1295412

Link

Well said June68, I for one hope Eslin come straight back up, know a lot of the lads on the team and they are a great bunch. Just felt for the development of the team and as was said in earlier posts probably too strong a team to be back down in Div 3. Hope they come striaght back up. I think lads that are insinuating there was something malicious or even slightly dirty in the injuries sustained by the Eslin players have not spoken to anyone who was there as I have. It obviously impacted on their team mates as incidents like that do but not the first club for this to happen to and unfortunately not going to be the last. I wish the 2 Dermots a speedy recovery.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 09/11/2012 17:26:44    1295479

Link

Hon june68 agree with you indeed people should not judge the beirnes if they do not no them!

Leitrim12 (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 09/11/2012 18:18:30    1295512

Link

Are you sure kilclare geals aren't trying to poach them aswell

They have lost numerous amounts of players and a wide kicker of late

The day Eslin amalgamate with mohill will be the day Mary's play championship football in roscommon

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 09/11/2012 21:20:39    1295599

Link