Ladies Forum

Should Valerie Mulcahy Have Been Red Carded?

(Oldest Posts First)

I am one for strict discipline on the field of play and a strong advocate of respect of referees and officials and their decisions. However I was appalled by referee Liam McDonagh's decision to red card Valerie with 40 seconds left to play on Saturday.

maybe on the spur of the moment she did 'mouth off' about his decision to award a free aginst her, but who doesn't? Any normal referee should be able to cope with a player expressing a momentary comment of dissatisfaction - especially when this was probably an expression of her own foolishness at committing a transgression rather than directed at the referee for awarding it.

Common sense must appply in such situations and a simple word in Valerie's ear would have sufficed. As one commentator expressed afterwards "It was a weak yellow card offence at best".

I hope the referee will admit to as much in his report and that Valerie can take her place on the team in Croke Park on All Ireland Final day - any other outcome would be a pure travesty.

dingle1 (Clare) - 10/09/2008 00:57:05    96745

Link

no she shouldn't have been red carded..her words wernt aimed at the referee..she was simply venting frustration to herself...
she didnt say anything to him

only87 (Tyrone) - 14/11/2008 12:38:32    141422

Link