Kerry Forum

An opinion...

(Oldest Posts First)

Now I don't mean to offend anyone in anyway but this is just an opinions found myself falling out of love with the modern game of gaelic football, it seems the game is still as defensive as ever. The black card doesn't seem to have made any difference if anything it has made the game worse. it just increased the number of handpassing in the game and not the mention the inconsistency of it accurate kicking is barely being coached anymore it's all about defensive systems that's the only thing you hear people talk about when you hear people talk about football nowadays. It's not about the skills of the game anymore. I understand that you have to cut your cloth to suit but it I even see a lot of teams (especially club teams) playing this ultra defensive game and it doesn't work they're just playing in this manor mainly because most other teams are. For a game I used to adore I can barely stand to watch a game anymore as I said I don't wish to offend any I was just wondering does anyone else feel like this? Thanks for reading:)

bingobongo (Kerry) - Posts: 1 - 04/08/2014 17:57:28    1631371

Link

'Keep calm and enjoy Dublin football'!!

Regards,

Snufalufagus....Laochra Gael

Snufalufagus (Dublin) - Posts: 8100 - 04/08/2014 19:08:40    1631414

Link

Bingobongo
I think you make a few good points there, I suppose skill is being coached out of the game.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 7761 - 06/08/2014 14:12:05    1632451

Link

Personally, I don't see much of a difference since I've started going to games on a consistent basis at inter-county level over the past 14 years. Is Tyrone's swarm tactics of 2003 more pleasing on the eye than Donegal's counter attacking style of 2012, I don't think so. Its a misnomer to think that up until Tyrone and Armagh's break through that teams did not play defensive. Sure the Dubs in the 1950s and Down in the 1960s were employing a zonal marking system to challenge and beat the catch and kick and man on man style Kerry had perfected.

This year's championship has been poor, no doubt, but every championship has its fair share of poor games. The number of weaker teams who lack quality forward units remains the same, yet more counties are willing to try and adopt a defensive posture to try and compensate for this than before. We all know its far easier to simply bulk young lads up and get them to swarm a fella with possession than spend hours and years developing skills to allow lads to kick pass accurately or kick from both feet. Yet ultimately this approach will become self defeating because the teams that have success with such defensive set ups are the rare ones (Donegal/Tyrone etc) who possessed the quality footballers at the time to make the system effective. Putting 14 men behind the ball or playing a two sweeper system etc will never get also rans (like Cavan for example) to seriously challenge for an All Ireland.

Poorer teams will always try and compensate for their shortcomings that is their right and its been in vogue for the last few years to do this by developing a defensive mindset. But these sides are no more successful for it. Kerry dominated for the guts of ten years playing open attractive football. Yes they took note of developments from other counties like Tyrone and tailored some elements to suit their own style (the roving licence for the half back line and the deployment of players like Galvin as holding half forwards for example) but in the end Kerry's forwards won them titles. Dublin are the current top-dogs and again while they have adopted the ferocious work rates pioneered by successful Ulster sides a decade ago, they still win titles with devastating forward play. I believe Kerry are on the cusp of again becoming the dominant team in Gaelic football in the next couple of years and while Fitzmaurice has tweaked Kerry's style by playing the likes of Declan O'Sullivan in a deep role to ensure he has as much chance to dictate play as possible, its the young forwards of outstanding ability that will ensure Sam is home before too long.

Capable forwards playing attacking football will always trump mass defences. A good kick pass will bypass any defence you only have to think of way Kerry played against Donegal for first 20 minutes in 2012 (to this day its a mystery why they suddenly seemed to abandon a tactic that was causing Donegal such problems). The issue is that most teams simply don't have the quality forwards to allow them play quality football and so they revert to the simple option. Kerry, Dublin and to a lesser degree the likes of Mayo have shown that success can be achieved by suturing forward talent and trusting them to get the job done.

I think the Championship is going to really catch fire this weekend, and we are in for a month of great games to banish the early summer blues, and when its all over the team left on top will be the one that embraced a positive philosophy and please God that team will be Kerry!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 3995 - 07/08/2014 12:59:04    1632927

Link

Apart from wishful thinking Hermit, I don't see any solid evidence that Kerry, or indeed any other side, is likely to become singly dominant over the coming years. The Dubs have the greatest prospect for doing this, especially if they can retain Sam this year. And even if they don't they'll be favourites again in 2015. Kerry may have talented players coming through, but so do 7 or 8 other counties, many of which have achieved more success at underage with this talent than Kerry have in recent years. So the bar is set high now for success, never mind dominance, and it's likely to stay high. If the Dubs aren't stopped this year, then they might attain that aura of invincibility which becomes hard to crack. We've all seen how even some of their donkeys have been transformed by the enormous confidence boost success brings, and they have genuine class plus raw talent in their ranks too. I think dreams of dominance by Kerry need to be replaced by the pragmatism of remaining consistently competitive, which Kerry should always be. AI success won't be automatic... no team has a right to that.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1811 - 09/08/2014 11:43:05    1633732

Link

Your entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. Kerry will win at least 3 All Ireland before this decade's out that is my believe, not my wishful thinking.

We have finally begun to put under-age structures in place to keep us competitive into the future. Maybe 7-8 other counties have talent, but that has always been that way. Kerry has always demonstrated a unique ability to nurture talent and turn them into brilliant players at senior level, despite a relative lack of success at underage. Here is where our great tradition comes to the fore; for counties like Mayo, it may take young players them winning Minor/U21 titles to convince them they can do things at senior level, in Kerry being deemed worthy of inclusion in senior panel is enough to inspire the natural confidence in players that they are better than anyone. No minor since 1994 or U-21 since 2008 and we have failed to make a semi-final in only three of the last 17 years. That tells its own story.

I think this year our minors have a brilliant chance of ending our 20 year wait, and even if they don't you will see quite a few of them blossom into serious senior talent in next 3-4 years. Our U-21's will only get stronger too in the next couple of years.

I stand by my opinion that Kerry will come back to being top dogs in the very near future. When you consider we have the likes of Gooch and hopefully Tommy Walsh returning in 2015, and if Declan and co decide to keep going, than I think there would be no stopping us next year. We might even do the job this year, against all the odds. Better get that All Ireland in while you have the chance Mayo ;)

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 3995 - 09/08/2014 13:04:57    1633766

Link

Everyone's entitled to their opinion as you say Hermit and good luck with yours. I think the game has entered a different era in the last few years and where it's going has more to do with money than tradition. I suppose time will tell about that and your 3 titles prediction.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1811 - 09/08/2014 15:12:07    1633813

Link

Pericles hit the nail on the head there more so than you thehermit.
I would be delighted with 1 all ireland this decade..maybe 2 but i doubt there is 3 in this Kerry team.
As Pericles said the main aim will be to remain competitive instead of starting a dynasty and if any dynasty occurs it will be by the boys in the big smoke

woops (Kerry) - Posts: 1985 - 14/08/2014 13:00:28    1636798

Link

Your both entitled to those thoughts, but I remain an eternal optimist when it come to Kerry football and see no reason why we can't win a few All Irelands over next ten years. This is a young team, we havn't even seen their full potential yet. I think they might shock quite a few people over next few weeks with what they are capable of. And the sky's the limit next year!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 3995 - 14/08/2014 16:41:55    1636910

Link