Kerry Forum

Maher

(Oldest Posts First)

Adios Anthony - your shoulder on Graham Canty in a Munster Final in Killarney some years back is still fresh in my mind!
An uncompromising tough player who never shirked a challenge and was a joy to watch him at full stretch fielding a high ball.

traleeexile (Kerry) - Posts: 707 - 03/10/2018 10:48:14    2144920

Link

Replying To traleeexile:  "Adios Anthony - your shoulder on Graham Canty in a Munster Final in Killarney some years back is still fresh in my mind!
An uncompromising tough player who never shirked a challenge and was a joy to watch him at full stretch fielding a high ball."
Here here

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 4629 - 03/10/2018 11:47:24    2144930

Link

A few thing always come to mind regarding Maher. Firstly he was a footballing midfielder, he had skill and capabilities that were above the norm for your average number 8. Obviously his height and physique enabled him to be an excellent fielder of the ball. When in possession he very rarely gave the bad pass, he was equally capable off both feet and had savage vision to thread through a pass and was well able to give either the punt dropping pass or the floating over the top.

A few key moments always stand out; In Énnis think it was 2 years back he gave a pass in the first half to James O'Donoghue, outside of the right boot it took 4 Clare players out of the equation and James came on to it running, the perfect pass with pace and timing, second, his ball from a free to Colm Cooper for his first goal against Kildare was it 3 or 4 years back.. again lovely floated over the full back head into Cooper hands… He gave Canty a shoulder one year in Killarney on the 45 yard line on the St. Finian's side near the terrace. Canty was driving out from the defence after winning a turnover against Donaghy and the Cork crowd were loving it… Maher met Canty on the tilt and it drove Canty back about 4 or 5 feet and put him on his arse, the roar that day from the terrace I'll never forget. He positional sense and turnover ability from a defensive point of view was again also very much under rated.

His finest ever day in a Kerry jersey was a league semi against mayo, on the day in question he was outstanding and won Man of the Match, we were coasting then in 2 minutes of madness we conceded a soft goal when Star sent the ball backwards from about 35 yards out and we lost in injury time., but that wet day he fielded ball after ball in the middle and was just in really top form.

Every successful midfield pairing has the work man and the "star" player, think back over the years, Sean Walsh and Jacko, Darragh Sé and Kirby, Daly, Scanlon and Griffin, outside Kerry the likes of Tohill and McGilligan.. Maher won all stars for Sheehan and Moran over the years as it was his solid displays that allowed them to shine, but I was thrilled when he was eventually rewarded in 2015. If you were to ask me I'd pick him any day over Moran.. and if fit I still would, actually have any of you ever played against him, he is one imposing figure he always reminded me of a bull just walking through a filed, the muscles on him and thing is he will still dominate North Kerry games for a few years as in full stride very few will match him, I saw him was it last year or the year before in the local Championship, the game was level at HT but he just thundered into the second half, won 4 or 5 kick-outs in a row, went through the middle as if it wasn't there and suddenly from those 4 or 5 possessions Duagh had scored in the region of 1-02.

Anyway class act but very much unassuming and yet another link gone to the class of the 00's… what's left now only Darran and Young, both of those too will be pulling the plug before the turn of the year.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 3926 - 03/10/2018 12:58:49    2144946

Link

Enjoy your retirement Anthony.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9107 - 03/10/2018 13:05:21    2144947

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "A few thing always come to mind regarding Maher. Firstly he was a footballing midfielder, he had skill and capabilities that were above the norm for your average number 8. Obviously his height and physique enabled him to be an excellent fielder of the ball. When in possession he very rarely gave the bad pass, he was equally capable off both feet and had savage vision to thread through a pass and was well able to give either the punt dropping pass or the floating over the top.

A few key moments always stand out; In Énnis think it was 2 years back he gave a pass in the first half to James O'Donoghue, outside of the right boot it took 4 Clare players out of the equation and James came on to it running, the perfect pass with pace and timing, second, his ball from a free to Colm Cooper for his first goal against Kildare was it 3 or 4 years back.. again lovely floated over the full back head into Cooper hands… He gave Canty a shoulder one year in Killarney on the 45 yard line on the St. Finian's side near the terrace. Canty was driving out from the defence after winning a turnover against Donaghy and the Cork crowd were loving it… Maher met Canty on the tilt and it drove Canty back about 4 or 5 feet and put him on his arse, the roar that day from the terrace I'll never forget. He positional sense and turnover ability from a defensive point of view was again also very much under rated.

His finest ever day in a Kerry jersey was a league semi against mayo, on the day in question he was outstanding and won Man of the Match, we were coasting then in 2 minutes of madness we conceded a soft goal when Star sent the ball backwards from about 35 yards out and we lost in injury time., but that wet day he fielded ball after ball in the middle and was just in really top form.

Every successful midfield pairing has the work man and the "star" player, think back over the years, Sean Walsh and Jacko, Darragh Sé and Kirby, Daly, Scanlon and Griffin, outside Kerry the likes of Tohill and McGilligan.. Maher won all stars for Sheehan and Moran over the years as it was his solid displays that allowed them to shine, but I was thrilled when he was eventually rewarded in 2015. If you were to ask me I'd pick him any day over Moran.. and if fit I still would, actually have any of you ever played against him, he is one imposing figure he always reminded me of a bull just walking through a filed, the muscles on him and thing is he will still dominate North Kerry games for a few years as in full stride very few will match him, I saw him was it last year or the year before in the local Championship, the game was level at HT but he just thundered into the second half, won 4 or 5 kick-outs in a row, went through the middle as if it wasn't there and suddenly from those 4 or 5 possessions Duagh had scored in the region of 1-02.

Anyway class act but very much unassuming and yet another link gone to the class of the 00's… what's left now only Darran and Young, both of those too will be pulling the plug before the turn of the year."
I see we both enjoyed that pass to James in 2017 Horse!!

When you think about it lads, he was our best midfielder since Darragh. Cupboard looking pretty bare there now, Barry does not seem to be developing, Moran is very inconsistent. It's a worry, no doubt about it!!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 4629 - 03/10/2018 19:36:21    2145008

Link

Ya Hermit I was In the covered terrace that day and i remember both sets of supporters cheering that pass, he just had that in his locker, a very very much underrated player.

Ya I was saying the same on another thread, I was a both games in Killarney and saw the 2 Sunday on the box, no new player is putting their hand up for a midfield berth for the McGrath Cup or early league. We have an inconsistant Moran, I know I keep going and I hate knocking players who commit so much but for me he's living on the back of 2014 as is James. But ya we have no midfield cover, Jack Barry hasn't pushed on, I'd like another look at Barry Sullivan, I don't think Brendan Sullivan is an option or Stefan Okanbar - take a look at who's left in the C'ship. buckley/Casey both been there done that. narries have Moran, Dingle have Barry Sullivan and Eask Kerry have the Kilcummin paring.

Who new is putt8ng a hand up... is Jack Sherwood worth a look here.?

hermit with regard to the hurling it is played a lot in the gardens, I know I puck around every second night with my kids but no club options are really available. I know Duagh started up underage few years but but every club will be fighting against the financial football purse strings if they tried to start up with the small ball.

I see too the county board have used common sense regarding the semi finals with regard to the me man, ill the name only be revealed the night of the meeting or will it be realeased to the delegates prior to the day

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 3926 - 03/10/2018 20:21:17    2145014

Link

Best of luck to Anthony Maher a really wonderful player who owes us nothing, one of the best in the game on his day.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1386 - 03/10/2018 21:00:55    2145020

Link