Kerry Forum

New Leader On The Field

(Oldest Posts First)

Who will fight our battles on the field. Galway/monahan/Kildale knew exactly what buttons too press

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 310 - 05/08/2018 03:26:53    2129202

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "Who will fight our battles on the field. Galway/monahan/Kildale knew exactly what buttons too press"
Ya it's a tough one Gerry, we don't have enforcers of years gone by like tomás Aidan Darragh Declan Galvin and now it looks like Donaghy could be gone as well.

Gavin Crowley looks to have that bit of aggression or niggle needed and we need him in the team next year.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9097 - 05/08/2018 18:02:20    2129505

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ya it's a tough one Gerry, we don't have enforcers of years gone by like tomás Aidan Darragh Declan Galvin and now it looks like Donaghy could be gone as well.

Gavin Crowley looks to have that bit of aggression or niggle needed and we need him in the team next year."
The O'Se's, Mahony, Galvin definitely, but to be honest I've always been inclined to see Donaghy as a bit of a big softie. Admittedly, my observation is based on only the two occasions where I happened to see him play live: the 2008 AI final where not alone did he not stand up to the McMahon brothers but he left his younger, fellow Tralee man flounder at their hands as well.

A couple of years later, behind in Killarney, on Munster Final day I saw Stephen Lucey of Limerick totally put Donaghy in his pocket. It may not have been nice what Lucey got up to the same day, but it showed me that man for man, one on one, Donaghy fell down again just as he had two years earlier.

shoulderghost (Limerick) - Posts: 793 - 05/09/2018 14:41:57    2139499

Link

You don't need experience to be a leader - a leader is someone who players look up and makes the right decisions on the pitch - some of ye are confusing a leader with a bully - every team needs leaders the type of player that can grab the game at the right time and make the right decision and lead - a bully is a player who we also need the type of player that can set the tone and let the opposition know ya you're in for a battle today so bring it on...... we have these player I just think the have lost their way slightly but the core is still there just unshackle it. Players like Tom Sullivan showed me leadership qualities last year , Murphy has shown in the past. Barry can by both for us, leaders too are qualities in Seanie Shea and Clifford. Bully boys we need Jack Barry here to show this, I have seen it with his club and more so at college level but that too may be his understanding with Barry Sullivan who we need to get back in the fold. Gavin Crolwey again can both.

An issue too is the captaincy if the county board want to look outside the box and ratify a management team as opposed to the norm of one man.... then start by dispensing with the county championship crap of nominating Captain. Example if South or East Kerry win the championhsip and then a team from outside this bracket win the divisional crown who decide so on captain.....

New approach all round needed here and we have no chance to have a second look née dt9nhit the ground running here starting with right personnel on the sideline, then the right personnel on the field and finally a right game plan.....and build a panel this starts with McGrath Cup then national league...

keeper, full back centre back, midfielder and wing forwards plus a designated man to man marker need to be unearthed and nailed on

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 3922 - 05/09/2018 20:35:18    2139645

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "You don't need experience to be a leader - a leader is someone who players look up and makes the right decisions on the pitch - some of ye are confusing a leader with a bully - every team needs leaders the type of player that can grab the game at the right time and make the right decision and lead - a bully is a player who we also need the type of player that can set the tone and let the opposition know ya you're in for a battle today so bring it on...... we have these player I just think the have lost their way slightly but the core is still there just unshackle it. Players like Tom Sullivan showed me leadership qualities last year , Murphy has shown in the past. Barry can by both for us, leaders too are qualities in Seanie Shea and Clifford. Bully boys we need Jack Barry here to show this, I have seen it with his club and more so at college level but that too may be his understanding with Barry Sullivan who we need to get back in the fold. Gavin Crolwey again can both.

An issue too is the captaincy if the county board want to look outside the box and ratify a management team as opposed to the norm of one man.... then start by dispensing with the county championship crap of nominating Captain. Example if South or East Kerry win the championhsip and then a team from outside this bracket win the divisional crown who decide so on captain.....

New approach all round needed here and we have no chance to have a second look née dt9nhit the ground running here starting with right personnel on the sideline, then the right personnel on the field and finally a right game plan.....and build a panel this starts with McGrath Cup then national league...

keeper, full back centre back, midfielder and wing forwards plus a designated man to man marker need to be unearthed and nailed on"
I would throw Patrick Clifford and Paudie Clifford into that bracket as well horse.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9097 - 06/09/2018 01:00:04    2139701

Link