National Forum

Popular Posts from Whammo86

Click on the subject to bring you to the county where the message was originally posted 

Should Stag nights for Gaa players be banned in Summer? - 10 Like(s)

Replying To tomsmith:  "Tomsmith Cavan here

I just wonder would the Gaa be a great service to the Gaa players if a total ban was imposed on all GAA players participating in this so called stag night or indeed the twelve pubs night during the Summerr playing season. It could be banned at club level first and then if it was successful you could have a county wide ban
I suppose it would have to be a voluntary ban.
I know that the females among us ( The great Mrs T included) will say that hen nights will be the next thing to be banned.
But if you look at it currently team managers have to juggle between weedings, stag nights, hen nights, 18th birthday, 21 st and the latest is a getting together celebration"
100% right. Birthdays should also be banned. Weddings wtf are they all about anyway. In this day and age how can any man in his right mind commit the rest of his life to one woman anyway. I think the GAA needs to lobby the US govt to restrict J1 visas from anyone who has played GAA over the previous 24 months. Add it to the declaration slip, ffs! Have you ever been part of a terrorist organisation? Have you played Gaelic Games? Have you been detained for drug trafficking offences? These f8cking players, are their f8cking liberties. Having a life outside of football! F8ck sake. Balanced life, I'll balance your f8cking life for you.

Whammo86 (National) - 29/10/2016 11:14:33

All the talk about Ulster!!!!Connacht is the strongest - 9 Like(s)

Replying To Cuckoosinging:  "All ulterior lads think they have hardest strongest most competitive province but three Connacht teams in the last 8 and we seen tonight what the second strongest team in Connacht did to one of the best in Ulster. Well done Galway"
Oh ffs Seriously how many Ulster posters have come on here saying we've the hardest most competitive province in recent times. It was true 10 years ago and to a much lesser extent 5 years ago but it really hasn't been of late. The one thing about being from Ulster though is you have to win more games to get to the same stage and apart from a game against Antrim there aren't really any gimmes in Ulster championship. Great win for Galway. Great Connacht final win for Roscommon and it's great to see 3 Connacht teams in the last 8. Why can't you just be happy with that? Why do you have to go around slagging off supporters from Ulster counties. It's just so agro and unnecessary. The only thing that matters anyway is the county team. Good luck to Roscommon next weekend.

Whammo86 (National) - 23/07/2017 09:39:52

Glenswilly 0-03 St Eunans 0-02 - 9 Like(s)

Replying To waynoI:  "This was a full time score in a Donegal league game this afternoon. What do yiz think of that then ? Crazy."
Heard it was a cracker. Never more than a goal in it.

Whammo86 (National) - 24/07/2016 16:32:10

Meath taking on Dublin subs...... - 7 Like(s)

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "This is a new low for Meath football
I may never love Meath, but i respect them. Perhaps more than I respect any of the other 31.
However, when I read this article on the main page, that Meath are basically recruiting lads who cant get a game for Dublin.with all that goes with the Dublin Meath rivalry...
I dunno. Meath lads, is this where its at?!
Jesus!

(Merry Christmas to all)"
Not much wrong with it in my book. If it's within the rules it's all fine. Dublin are happy to use players who've played their whole club career for Ashbourne, why shouldn't Meath use the best players available to them? A bit too much pride has probably hindered Meath over the last 15, they were slow to adapt to the modern game.

Whammo86 (National) - 22/12/2016 13:08:46

A pet hate of mine - 6 Like(s)
When there's a schmozzle between 2 players and the referee automatically gives both players a yellow card. Sometimes one player is much more at fault than the other player. One player could deserve a red. One of the players could deserve a talking to while the other deserves a yellow. Treat the incident and the players on their own merits. I think it's a cop out when a ref just gives them both a yellow.

Whammo86 (National) - 06/08/2016 19:00:39

Time to rebrand GAA grounds? (As Gaelic hubs) - 6 Like(s)
Is there a Gaelic revival now, I thought that was 100 years ago. I'm going to call a spade a spade here and say Croke hub sounds daft.

Whammo86 (National) - 22/05/2016 09:23:28

Teams you hate playing? - 5 Like(s)
Kilkenny Doesn't matter which code you're playing, the game will be over after 3 minutes.

Whammo86 (National) - 10/08/2016 18:16:37

Loughnane tears into Galway - 5 Like(s)
If you rate a team as gutless because they lose to Kilkenny then there aren't many teams with guts. Totally over the top remarks. You'd imagine he had that piece in his locker for a while just waiting for a Galway loss. Comes across as very bitter. His comments regarding the Galway manager are down right appalling.

Whammo86 (National) - 04/07/2016 17:53:58

Can the GAA survive the Rugby onslaught - 5 Like(s)

Replying To 11jm11:  "If the media in this country get their way rugby will be the no1 sport in the country in ten years. Lets call a spade a spade we won a friendly match against NZ and you'd swear we just won the world cup."
You know what though, it's not a friendly match. It's a test match, in Rugby that means something. The tradition in their game means that every game counts. It's an attitude I wish we had more of in our games. The GAA doesn't even give the National League much respect. Poor crowds, teams using it as a warm up competition. Played at a terrible time of the season. How often do you hear, "a sure it was only the league ". There was a story going around this year that Kerry had a hard training session the day before the final. I don't know if that was true, likely wasn't but it was in the realm of being plausible. We don't do ourselves any favours at times when it comes to selling our games.

Whammo86 (National) - 06/11/2016 21:18:14

If you could have three wishes from the GAA? - 5 Like(s)
I'd really like more threads on hoganstand about Mayo.

Whammo86 (National) - 21/08/2016 19:48:46

Poor state of football in rural Ireland - 4 Like(s)

Replying To legendzxix:  "There's no doubt Mayo are making an effort. Kerry likewise are looking at our own failings having neglected our youth. Tyrone might not be too far away either from mounting a credible challenge. It is sad to see the game in such a poor state right across rural Ireland. The capital are at the same consistent level they've been at since 2005. Again, they can only beat the opposition in front of them. It's up to other's to come up with the answers."
Pure dung Dublin have taken the game to a new level. These threads are a joke. You've come back after you've "wintered well" and are peddling the same crap over and over again.

Whammo86 (National) - 19/03/2017 20:23:09

Galexit - 4 Like(s)
All this boils down to being the provincial championships aren't fit for purpose in hurling. I'm broadly in favour of provincial championships in football. In hurling it's a farce now, it's possible for teams from every province and London to play the "Leinster" championship. If they went to a straight forward National championship in hurling and played the Munster championship as a standalone tournament (at the height of the summer so that is doesn't lose too much meaning) I think hurling would be in a better spot. Underage should also be played similarly. I've heard that traveling concerns are a problem at minor and u21 level. Doesn't really wash, how hard is it to travel to say 3 group games and then another 2 or 3 other rounds for the top teams, it's not like Ireland is a huge expanse. Again run the Munster championship as a standalone competition. It has enough prestige in its own right to stand on its own 2 feet. The Leinster championship will continue to die, I don't think there's a lot can be done for it without Dublin, Wexford and Offaly seriously improving.

Whammo86 (National) - 27/10/2016 16:41:32

Threads that constantly reappear - 4 Like(s)
Kerry's easy draw Dublin too much money Mayo bottlers Is it Mayo's year Tyrone can beat Dublin Blanket defence plaguing the game Black card plaguing the game Short kick out plaguing the game Ulster people plaguing the game New Football championship proposal New hurling championship proposal Hurling league really exciting Hurling league is illogical Why is this game not on tv. RTÉ panel members talking rubbish GAA dying because of ... Referring is terrible

Whammo86 (National) - 02/06/2017 15:49:42

Does GAA get fair coverage compared to soccer and rugby - 4 Like(s)
This is the thread that will never die

Whammo86 (National) - 30/10/2016 08:13:52

Antrim hurling RIP - 4 Like(s)
Congrats Carlow. Good luck in the qualifiers. It wasn't all bad this season from Antrim by any means. Promotion to 1B should help us progress. It looks like we'll be in the development group next season in championship, is more opportunity to play at a good standard. I do feel this to be unfair on Meath and there should be a playoff between the 2 teams for that final spot. May not be feasible now but between league and championship it could be fit in. If we'd won I think everyone would be looking at this season as being fantastic. Our county board are not completely inept like some would have you believe. They run a very strong program of club games in both codes and at underage level. There are challenges that probably hold us back at intercounty level. I don't want a pity parade by naming them. They won't be fixed overnight and they won't be fixed with the sort of attitude the OP has shown. I also hate when supporters question the mentality of players. You don't deserve to, these are the guys who have put in the hard work to get where they are. Sometimes things don't go right for them on the day, that doesn't mean their dedication and will to win should be brought into question.

Whammo86 (National) - 10/06/2017 23:33:30

Financial Doping in the GAA - 4 Like(s)

Replying To JoeSoap:  "It's a real pity that a potentially interesting topic on development funding in the GAA across the island has descended into mudslinging and petty remarks about eachothers counties."
To be fair when a thread references financial doping in its title right from the start it's a bit antagonistic.

Whammo86 (National) - 13/10/2016 16:38:02

Connolly interfering with match official - 4 Like(s)

Replying To hill16no1man:  "What are you talking about You seem to be jumping in midway here without knowing what I was responding to. I stated a simple fact that the linesman (not umpire as you say) made the incorrect call resulting in the Connolly incident after. now the poster stated I was wrong simply because Connolly got a suspension. please tell me how Connolly getting a suspension has any bearing on the order those events occured in ???? You need to read first before having a go at me in future"
I know exactly what you wrote. I read it, I just responded to your last comment. Your attitude stinks.

Whammo86 (National) - 06/06/2017 20:20:34

The rights and wrongs of Galway and Leinster - 4 Like(s)

Replying To Byanthon:  "Hurling people go on about the game etc but over the years they have done very little to help and accommodate in my opinion two strong counties with the potential to be major contenders Galway and Antrim. From the late 1980's on both could have done with help to be amalgamated properly into the championship. Both were isolated outside the main areas and both needed help. I just wish the powers that be would listen to former Antrim great Sambo McNaughton for instance on some of the problems faced by those outside the pale. Galway shold be allowed to play home games in Leinster and play in Minor, U21 etc."
The solution to hurling's problem is incredible simple. Get a national draw to the championship at all levels. Run provincial championships as separate competitions. Use them for seeding purposes possibly. Provincial championships in football are somewhat workable. In hurling it's a farce. The Leinster championship since they brought in the qualifying group has had teams in it from every province and even London. If you want to properly include teams from outside the stronghold areas this is the only way of doing it.

Whammo86 (National) - 13/12/2016 16:30:31

Open The Lid on Dublin's Finances - 4 Like(s)

Replying To oldsam_newsam:  "Dublin looked and played yesterday like a fully professional team. They are sponsored by a big insurance company and the money received from those and other sponsors is probably well ahead of the rest of the country. Regarding the sponsorship there is probably v little that can be done to get equality as sponsors have every right to give their money to whoever they want. However, the money they are receiving from central government / sports council needs to be fully clarified. I have read various reports indicating that they are getting way more than other counties even when population factored in to it. It has been stated in defence of this that Dublin are matching these donations but i am not sure if anyone really knows. In my opinion the funding should be based on some equitable basis and, it seems, that's not happening. I would just ask that the GAA fully clarify what each county is receiving and commence a process to get equality back. After all, democracy and equality is the backbone of the GAA."
There have been a lot of threads on this already. The figures for the development money are all in the public domain. The reality is a lot different to the perceived wisdom also. One journalist in particular has gone down a road of comparing what Dublin gets versus other counties. Thing is he doesn't take into account that development money is that development officers are paid for directly from Dublin's development money. In other counties the development officers are employed by the Provincial councils. Dublin are getting about 14% of the total development money, yet this journalist, incorrectly, claims they get about 47% of the money because he fails to account for the €5m or so that goes to the Provincial councils. The figures are out there and are online. Look for yourself if you want, it didn't take me long to find it all when I wanted to in the past.

Whammo86 (National) - 29/08/2017 06:14:40

Confederate Flag - 4 Like(s)

Replying To moc.dna:  "So if loyalists are attending Gaa matches & start to complain that the Tricolour is offensive & oppressive to them & want it removed, would you agree with that ? Are you aware of something nobody else knows in that you are accusing those of flying the flag at Gaa matches as racists, some accusation on your part. Where is the false equivalency between slavery in the South & the Japanese in WW2, both kept against their will, forced to work, starved, tortured, murdered, detained despite the laws, very little difference, it just doesn't suit your argument. Nobody is condoning what happened in Charlottesville but if we are going to tie ourselves up in knots over everything that offends somebody then we become entangled in a web where nothing can be done. Labelling everybody as racists in order to silence debate is the action of those who themselves have an agenda."
The confederate flag is unequivocally a racist symbol. I don't call the Cork fans racist but I struggle to believe how someone bringing that flag to the game doesn't know what it means. There's a huge difference between the national flag of a country still in existence and that has been used for hundreds of years and a flag that was specifically designed to be used in a conflict to prevent the abolition of slavery. The Irish tricolour is our National flag, it doesn't have any specific connotation with being anti anything. It's bloody designed with the thought in mind that there should be peace between Catholics and Protestants.

Whammo86 (National) - 15/08/2017 21:40:26