National - Phrases that commentators use that annoy you!!

'football how it should be played', said in a condescending tone, i.e., not the inferior stuff that awful Ulster team is playing

essmac (Tyrone) - Posts:208 - 19/03/2017 12:14:25   1968443

Link

Replying To Stmunnsriver:  "big championship games, its a common statement "they won because the wanted it more" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stupid beyond words"
Like the players/managers/pundits who say, 'we'll win it for Michael' who is out because of an injury or suspension. (Implies that they wouldn't bother otherwise)

neverright (Roscommon) - Posts:690 - 19/03/2017 17:02:29   1968567

Link

Also, don't like when pundits say 'the Henry shefflins, the JJ Delaneys'. Why say this? There's only one of each on the team. Used a lot by pundits in England as well, but Tomas Mulcahy loves saying it. He must get into trouble at home when he refers to 'the wives'

pj_mcmanus (Limerick) - Posts:316 - 20/03/2017 18:50:46   1969248

Link

" It's anyone's game "

Cavan_Slasher (Cavan) - Posts:10110 - 20/03/2017 19:02:41   1969252

Link

Replying To Wexican:  "My brother always thought it'd be fun to imagine Brian Carthy commentating on other sports - "The right-handed shot from Federer, and the point from Federer!"

A couple of my favourites from various commentators national and local are:
"Game about to get underway, Wexford playing from left to right". Very informative comment...on the radio.
"Waterford need to get more out of the Tony Brownes, the Ken McGraths, the Paul Flynns". Think they only had one of each (thankfully!).
Plus, I don't think I've ever heard the words 'facile' and 'accruing' to describe anything other than 'an easy win' and something to do with advantage being played. And then there's the weirdly common use of 'profligacy' to describe a team that hit a load of wides (maybe that more of a journalistic one though).

These are more foibles than genuinely annoying phrases, really. Considering the pace of the action I think the national commentators on radio and TV are, in general, very good and add to the excitement more often than not."
That's one thing I need to hear on the radio 'right to left' not what the umpires dog had for breakfast.
It puts the setting in your head, gives you a picture especially if you know the ground...

Dr.who (Cavan) - Posts:23 - 21/03/2017 00:00:49   1969350

Link

Replying To essmac:  "'football how it should be played', said in a condescending tone, i.e., not the inferior stuff that awful Ulster team is playing"
Agree considering the many years the so called counties who believe they are the purists have been playing football - these commentators are either deluded or have a bee in their bonnets about Ulster counties - either way they should not be on tv professing to be unbiased!

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts:585 - 21/03/2017 09:28:44   1969380

Link

"Could this be Mayo's year" .....usually after they have beaten Leitrim or London

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts:63 - 21/03/2017 11:33:08   1969431

Link

Micheal lyster calling conor mcmanus ciaran. The guy has 2 all stars and is one of the best forwards in the game and he still gets it wrong. Ciaran mcmanus was a good player too tho so could be called worse

Tim_NicebutDim (Monaghan) - Posts:212 - 21/03/2017 11:56:17   1969441

Link

Replying To Tim_NicebutDim:  "Micheal lyster calling conor mcmanus ciaran. The guy has 2 all stars and is one of the best forwards in the game and he still gets it wrong. Ciaran mcmanus was a good player too tho so could be called worse"
And the way he says MonagHAN

Breffni39 (Cavan) - Posts:11004 - 21/03/2017 12:24:04   1969447

Link

'the shackles are off now'

Well who put them on in the first place and why?????

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts:10612 - 21/03/2017 12:29:03   1969449

Link

Replying To Dr.who:  "That's one thing I need to hear on the radio 'right to left' not what the umpires dog had for breakfast.
It puts the setting in your head, gives you a picture especially if you know the ground..."
I'm all for painting a picture but unfortunately I don't know the location of the press box in every ground in the country, so "left to right" doesn't do much for me! I prefer when they say that so and so is "defending the Killinan End" or "playing into the town goal", which is a bit more meaningful. I've no interest in the umpire's dog either, unless it's a really bad game!

Another Canning standard for someone trying to lose their marker or dodge a tackle: "going this way and that". Then, if the player manages to succeed, he might have a chance to score his "22nd ever point in championship hurling!"

Wexican (Wexford) - Posts:26 - 21/03/2017 14:49:57   1969529

Link