National - CCCC hurling proposals change tier 2 teams status

So I'm heartened to see that it looks like counties such as Clare are not supporting the proposed changes, see article: http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=276045

From the article above, it appears there's increasing support for a Dublin motion, which doesn't change the provincial championships, and doesn't reduce the number of teams in the AI competition. Instead, it just proposes having 4 quarter-finals, rather than the current 2 (so ACTUAL quarter-finals). I think this is the most sensible proposal, and if any proposal is accepted, I hope its this one.

For the record, I'm not against radical changes to the championship, but only if they're an improvement. The CCCC changes are not an improvement, and would be damaging to hurling overall (the more I think about them, the worse they seem). FWIW, I'm no fan of the Tipp motion either. So here's hoping that if any motion is voted in, its the Dublin one.

Marlon_JD (Tipperary) - Posts:1638 - 22/09/2017 20:24:43   2049432

Link

Replying To Marlon_JD:  "So I'm heartened to see that it looks like counties such as Clare are not supporting the proposed changes, see article: http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=276045

From the article above, it appears there's increasing support for a Dublin motion, which doesn't change the provincial championships, and doesn't reduce the number of teams in the AI competition. Instead, it just proposes having 4 quarter-finals, rather than the current 2 (so ACTUAL quarter-finals). I think this is the most sensible proposal, and if any proposal is accepted, I hope its this one.

For the record, I'm not against radical changes to the championship, but only if they're an improvement. The CCCC changes are not an improvement, and would be damaging to hurling overall (the more I think about them, the worse they seem). FWIW, I'm no fan of the Tipp motion either. So here's hoping that if any motion is voted in, its the Dublin one."
The status quo is better than Dublin's proposal. Provincial champions get an advantage over the team they beat in the final. Teams not making their Provincial final only have to win 1 game to get to the same stage. The standard of the games will be worse too. Change would be for changes sake also.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts:1733 - 22/09/2017 20:56:46   2049436

Link

Replying To Whammo86:  "The status quo is better than Dublin's proposal. Provincial champions get an advantage over the team they beat in the final. Teams not making their Provincial final only have to win 1 game to get to the same stage. The standard of the games will be worse too. Change would be for changes sake also."
I get what you mean, but teams may have 2 very different routes to the provincial finals. For example, one side of the Munster draw is always harder than the other. Cork had to beat Tipp and Waterford to just get to a Munster final this year, Clare just had to play a semi. Paths to Leinster and Munster finals may vary in difficulty as well, going both ways.

Long story short, some teams can currently get a much easier route to an AI semi than others, depending on the draw. The provincial system has a lot of inequalities and anomalies. Having all teams play a quarter-final evens things up, and ensures that no one team gets an easier route to an AI semi than other teams. You could still reward the provincial champions by giving them a home draw in the semi's.

And best part, 4 pretty amazing matches. This year you would have had
QF Pool 1: Galway (Home advantage), Cork (Home advantage), Wexford, Clare
to be matched with
QF Pool 2: Tipp, Kilkenny, Waterford, Limerick

I think thats an improvement

Marlon_JD (Tipperary) - Posts:1638 - 22/09/2017 22:57:01   2049473

Link