National - Does Aussie Rules ruin young players?

Agree 100% with posters here. I don't think it does players any good at all as they seem to pick up chronic injuries.

Personally, I can't see the attraction of the sport as its not as much fun to play as Gaelic or Rugby. And its not like they are paid mega money either. If I was Conor Nash (a once in a generation talent from Navan currently with Collingwood) I would have stayed in Ireland and played gaelic or if I was seeking full time professionalism, took the offer from Leinster he had on the table. As things stand, with how handy it is a to get a degree in Irish universities, being a student and an intercounty player isn't far off being professional in any case.

Crinigan (Meath) - Posts:272 - 24/04/2017 11:02:39   1982129

Link

Replying To Crinigan:  "Agree 100% with posters here. I don't think it does players any good at all as they seem to pick up chronic injuries.

Personally, I can't see the attraction of the sport as its not as much fun to play as Gaelic or Rugby. And its not like they are paid mega money either. If I was Conor Nash (a once in a generation talent from Navan currently with Collingwood) I would have stayed in Ireland and played gaelic or if I was seeking full time professionalism, took the offer from Leinster he had on the table. As things stand, with how handy it is a to get a degree in Irish universities, being a student and an intercounty player isn't far off being professional in any case."
Except you don't get paid to play.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts:3480 - 24/04/2017 11:33:48   1982143

Link

Replying To GreenandRed:  "Except you don't get paid to play."
Thats true but what does a rookie in AFL actually get? 8-12,000 a year tops? Sure a top intercounty player like Nash would get a scholarship to UCD or DCU for example, how much is that worth? A sponsored car as well maybe if Meath are going well. When you break it down, I don't think its that much more money to have to move to the other side of the world and play in my own view, a sport less enjoyable than gaelic football or rugby.

Crinigan (Meath) - Posts:272 - 24/04/2017 13:11:13   1982192

Link