National Forum

Mayo V Kerry

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To lilylanger:  "I still think Mayo are better than Kerry man for man but you have Clifford and Moran who are sublime. Mayo are missing their midfield. Durcan was also a huge loss to them too. I think if they had their full panel they would have beaten you at the weekend but sure we will never know. Just because Mayo were beaten does not mean my opinion is wrong btw. The two are not mutually exclusive. Also, I actually like Kerry football like most football. It's some of the supporters I've met & obviously posters on here that I dont like. It's the arrogance you see. It's just a trait I don't like & a lot of Kerry folk have arrogance in abundance. No agenda. A simple dislike."
Alot of Kerry fans have always been arrogant thinking they have a god given right to win the all Ireland every year but with success comes arrogance

Galwayjoe86 (Galway) - Posts: 225 - 16/07/2019 13:51:43    2211867

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "The arrogance of someone coming on here to label Kerry supporters as arrogant ;D"
It's funny if we try to be humble we're told we're being condescending ( ala SC ) and we're all yerah yerah

We can't win.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9100 - 16/07/2019 13:53:49    2211871

Link

The reality for Mayo is its going to be a huge struggle to replace some of the older guard. Higgins, Barrett & Boyle are still so important to Mayo with no obvious replacements. Looking at that Mayo team Sunday I bet its still the oldest team in the Super 8's by a couple of years. As well as starting with 4 lads in their 30's there was another 4 who are 29 and then the likes the elder O'Shea and Moran who are both well in their 30's came of the bench. Its going to be a hard job finding quality replacements for all those lads.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 302 - 16/07/2019 14:13:24    2211883

Link

Replying To JDF:  "The reality for Mayo is its going to be a huge struggle to replace some of the older guard. Higgins, Barrett & Boyle are still so important to Mayo with no obvious replacements. Looking at that Mayo team Sunday I bet its still the oldest team in the Super 8's by a couple of years. As well as starting with 4 lads in their 30's there was another 4 who are 29 and then the likes the elder O'Shea and Moran who are both well in their 30's came of the bench. Its going to be a hard job finding quality replacements for all those lads."
Dublin started with 4 lads in their 30s against Meath in the Leinster final, 3 more came on as subs. 3 or 4 29 year olds. I dont think if you took an average age of the mayo team and Dublin team there would be much difference. Mayo have also played 33 players in the championship so far this year including around 10 debutants who should benefit from the championship experience this year.

Mfs (Mayo) - Posts: 156 - 16/07/2019 14:36:26    2211891

Link

Replying To Mfs:  "Dublin started with 4 lads in their 30s against Meath in the Leinster final, 3 more came on as subs. 3 or 4 29 year olds. I dont think if you took an average age of the mayo team and Dublin team there would be much difference. Mayo have also played 33 players in the championship so far this year including around 10 debutants who should benefit from the championship experience this year."
That is a reason why I don't think Dublin will dominate the next 6 or 7 years as they done since 2013 but they have far more quality players aged in their mid 20's and under. They've Fenton, O'Callaghan, Small, McCaffrey, Mannion, Kilkenny, Howard, Scully & Costello whilst Mayo have the two O'Connors, Ruane, Harrison & Durcan who are genuine quality whist there's questions marks about the others still like Carr, Coen & McDonagh.

Mayo are going to need to find quality players to replace the likes of Higgins, Barrett & Boyle which I don't think exist.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 302 - 17/07/2019 14:53:49    2212374

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Hah hah good one boss, some people just hate to see Kerry winning don't they ;D"
Pot kettle black , bigtime here -:), your forever on here whinging about Dublin winning .

superbluedub (Dublin) - Posts: 1679 - 17/07/2019 22:04:10    2212561

Link

Sure Roscommon beat Mayo and Roscommon got badly exposed by Tyrone

Mayo barely got by Down/Armagh (Armagh should have really won) and had Mayo had a poxy string of crippling injuries to key personnel before having to travel south.

It was a fine win for Kerry albeit against a Mayo side hopping on the one foot and even that foot had a big juicy blister on it.

If Mayo had a wee bit more luck on the injury front they'd have given a far better account of themselves as they've proven they can beat Kerry and have done a few times now

If Meath find a performance against a similarly depleted Mayo side off the back of a spirit draining loss I think Meath could win or st least cause plenty of problems. Meath played well against Donegal for large parts

Mayo are on their last legs and it's mainly down to their injuries

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19282 - 17/07/2019 22:52:56    2212583

Link