Monaghan Forum

Malachy's Successor

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To FootblockREF:  "You're taking out of both sides of your mouth. You seem to want Monaghan to beat the big teams but you want new lads and those who missed out to play. Those lads will have a learning curve and Div One is a hard place to have that.
Also you've absolutely no proof thst we would have beaten Donegal in 2018, because it didn't happen. The only reason you say it is because Donegal winning that Ulster disproves your point about links between league and championship. All we know about Donegal is that they disposed of inferior opposition in both Ulster Finals that had beaten us in an earlier round."
Are you really saying that we had a bad season in 2018? Just a yes or no?

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 715 - 22/09/2019 00:16:54    2238159

Link

Replying To Farney:  "Are you really saying that we had a bad season in 2018? Just a yes or no?"
Yes

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 354 - 22/09/2019 09:43:06    2238195

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "Yes"
My God

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 115 - 22/09/2019 11:48:48    2238219

Link

Replying To supermon:  "Come on. Small pool or not, we have to start playing someone new.

It becomes a question trust. Trust that you have picked new players as best you can, develped them as best you can and then take a leap of faith a throw them in. It has to be done eventually. Putting it off for short term gain with tried and trusted is myopic.

Best place to take the leap of faith is the league. Management and players should be given the breathing space to allow for improvement of performance, which is more than just putting points on the board on a league table.

In my opinion a player like O'Hanlon might have improved more if he didn't have the likes of McManus around him for a number of games in the league. I know that might not make sense to many, but if you think about it, he would have been the marquee forward for those games, forced into taking responsibility. With McManus there, you have his aura and presence overshadowing him. He is the main man, most of the scores go through him.

Look its all a balancing act when introducing new players and mixing them with the older ones. I really think we got the balance totally wrong last year. I think it should be changed up totally next season. Fresh faces all over the park. I think the Monaghan public would have a level of understanding here if results didnt go our way, especially if we know that we have the few older and experienced aces still up our sleeve ready to come in closer to championship. Unfortunately if it is the same players losing league games like last year, thats when one would worry."
if you look at the first team malachy started and the last you will see he did bring on new lads. we cry about this a lot. and i am guilty myself. id love to see a number of boys tried but if you actually sit back and look he did blood new lads blooded them slowly and eased them into in which is a must after all not everyone is a clifford who can just jump into a senior team.
anyway im sure everyone will be told now its a clean slate for anyone who has notions of playing with the county . its up to them to put there hands up and say i want the jersey.

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 139 - 22/09/2019 12:30:29    2238225

Link