National Forum

Puke Hurling

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To shoulders:  "The Wexford swarmball and goading opposition tactics are Tyrone rubber-stamped."
I was being sarcastic I think this has been the best Leinster Championship in years. Ever in my lifetime. Even in the golden 90s there were only 3 competitive teams in Leinster. Now there are four. The style you speak of was developed and perfected by the Kilkenny teams of the noughties- defenders playing right on the edge of the rules and forwards buying frees and the swarm of players playing with high intensity to win the ball back. Long before 2003 and Tyrones first All Ireland. Maybe Mickey Harte learned of the great Brian Cody?

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 519 - 16/06/2019 10:48:09    2195648

Link

Replying To munsterchamps:  "limerick
tipp
cork
galway
kilkenny
dublin
clare
wexford
waterford."
Is that still your 1 - 9?

Ej (Wexford) - Posts: 179 - 16/06/2019 22:02:47    2196086

Link

I absolutely hate this heading. Over 50 years watching hurling from junior C up i have never witnessed a game where there was not some thing to excite and that is coming from a club that only played football up to the sixties. The greatest game in the world needs a revamp to put more counties in contention. Teams tripping around the world is a disgrace while development at home has made little progress in over 100 years, There are great GAA men but there are also dynasors. Plenty of both in my county.

Canuck (Waterford) - Posts: 439 - 17/06/2019 01:15:23    2196167

Link

Replying To Canuck:  "I absolutely hate this heading. Over 50 years watching hurling from junior C up i have never witnessed a game where there was not some thing to excite and that is coming from a club that only played football up to the sixties. The greatest game in the world needs a revamp to put more counties in contention. Teams tripping around the world is a disgrace while development at home has made little progress in over 100 years, There are great GAA men but there are also dynasors. Plenty of both in my county."
I genuinely do not believe the powers that be are interested or even want it.
The suits decided 15 or so years ago to promote and develop hurling in Dublin. I genuinely believe that this was a financial investment decision and nothing other than that.
To be fair to all involved in Dublin GAA, the funding has been spent wisely and sound structures were built to support the game long term.
If the will and finances were and continue to be there to promote and develop hurling so successfully in Dublin, why hasn't it been replicated elsewhere when it can be executed at a fraction of the cost?
Of course it is not only about funding.

The marketing and promotion of our 2nd tier competition and participants is non existent. (Unbelievably the winners of last year's competition got zero tv coverage this year). In addition the promotion/relegation issue needs to be reassessed.

The core of the problem though is that many of the county boards do not want competitive sides in both codes. I am no fan of the big ball game but what has been allowed to happen to Wexford football over the last 10 years is atrocious.

Ej (Wexford) - Posts: 179 - 17/06/2019 10:51:31    2196308

Link

Replying To Ej:  "I genuinely do not believe the powers that be are interested or even want it.
The suits decided 15 or so years ago to promote and develop hurling in Dublin. I genuinely believe that this was a financial investment decision and nothing other than that.
To be fair to all involved in Dublin GAA, the funding has been spent wisely and sound structures were built to support the game long term.
If the will and finances were and continue to be there to promote and develop hurling so successfully in Dublin, why hasn't it been replicated elsewhere when it can be executed at a fraction of the cost?
Of course it is not only about funding.

The marketing and promotion of our 2nd tier competition and participants is non existent. (Unbelievably the winners of last year's competition got zero tv coverage this year). In addition the promotion/relegation issue needs to be reassessed.

The core of the problem though is that many of the county boards do not want competitive sides in both codes. I am no fan of the big ball game but what has been allowed to happen to Wexford football over the last 10 years is atrocious."
I would agree that one of the steps for a start should be equal coverage of all tiers be mandatory. Play the lower tiers prior to the top teams on the same day and same venues. Have incentives like early game preferred pricing for tickets. I have no doubt that the young supporters of the lower teams would be inspired by the atmosphere to go home and grab a hurley. Also the t.v. viewing public would see those teams in a different light as regard their skills and commitment.
This would just be one thing on the promotion end. Coaching, management etc. also should be tackled.
You are probably correct there is no interest by the powers that be. Only want to pay lip service to look like something is getting done.

Canuck (Waterford) - Posts: 439 - 17/06/2019 14:24:28    2196527

Link