Wicklow Forum

Wicklow Juniors

(Oldest Posts First)

Any idea what the team is for the match tomorrow night?. Who is their manager and selectors? I hope we are not just going to gather up a group of players and hope for the best . If that is the case then we shouldnt take part at all as it shows a total disrespect and disregard for the competition and the players involved. Either take it seriously or forget about it altogether. Are senior players from clubs allowed to take part as we are a "weaker"county?

Optimisticobserver (Wicklow) - Posts: 26 - 21/05/2019 18:31:17    2186387

Link

Replying To Optimisticobserver:  "Any idea what the team is for the match tomorrow night?. Who is their manager and selectors? I hope we are not just going to gather up a group of players and hope for the best . If that is the case then we shouldnt take part at all as it shows a total disrespect and disregard for the competition and the players involved. Either take it seriously or forget about it altogether. Are senior players from clubs allowed to take part as we are a "weaker"county?"
Looks like you could say the same about the u20s

dubarra (Wicklow) - Posts: 393 - 22/05/2019 11:12:34    2186562

Link

Replying To dubarra:  "Looks like you could say the same about the u20s"
Well, that sorts the Juniors thing out for another year - again. 4 goals suggests lack of understanding between goalie and backs or maybe Louth are that good. 1 - 16 is enough to win most inter county football matches. As I don't know what preparation, if any, went into it's probably inappropriate to comment but it does tend to give support to the earlier post - prepare properly or drop out.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 99 - 23/05/2019 09:29:30    2186788

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "Well, that sorts the Juniors thing out for another year - again. 4 goals suggests lack of understanding between goalie and backs or maybe Louth are that good. 1 - 16 is enough to win most inter county football matches. As I don't know what preparation, if any, went into it's probably inappropriate to comment but it does tend to give support to the earlier post - prepare properly or drop out."
Were you at the game?

clubfan17 (Wicklow) - Posts: 42 - 23/05/2019 11:02:44    2186817

Link

I wasn't at the game so I can't comment but I do believe that a number of counties only play lip service to the junior competition. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Cavan were in the Leinster championship in recent years; this suggests that the junior grade is not taken seriously in Ulster and no one can accuse Ulster of not being interested in football. Equally, Wicklow won the Junior back in the 2000s with a good team so it was taken seriously that year. I personally would prefer to Wicklow concentrated on the minors and u20s and looked at getting the senior promoted in the league as oppose to putting huge effort into the juniors that seems to be well down the priority list in the GAA.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 997 - 23/05/2019 12:16:02    2186842

Link

Replying To wicklowsupport:  "I wasn't at the game so I can't comment but I do believe that a number of counties only play lip service to the junior competition. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Cavan were in the Leinster championship in recent years; this suggests that the junior grade is not taken seriously in Ulster and no one can accuse Ulster of not being interested in football. Equally, Wicklow won the Junior back in the 2000s with a good team so it was taken seriously that year. I personally would prefer to Wicklow concentrated on the minors and u20s and looked at getting the senior promoted in the league as oppose to putting huge effort into the juniors that seems to be well down the priority list in the GAA."
I was there myself, they actually played really well in the second half. Some good players on show and I suppose its an outlet for getting more players onto the pitch wearing a Wicklow shirt which is always a good thing. I'm sure it meant something to the people involved or they wouldn't have been there. From what I hear the very limited effort put into the panel wouldn't have been a big distraction from minors or any other panel. Talking to other supporters I learned that Louth had 6 or 7 training sessions and two friendlies in the run up to the game while Wicklow had trained once.

On the game itself the biggest issue was that Wicklow continually let overlaps develop when Louth got the ball and hence they seemed to penetrate our back line too easily. Louth probably had about 10 shots for goal and could have scored a lot more than 4 . That said Wicklow had a stonewalled penalty denied in the first half and Louth were given a non event of a penalty in the second half. But you reap what you sow...

clubfan17 (Wicklow) - Posts: 42 - 23/05/2019 14:16:17    2186890

Link

I know that the leinster junior competition is at the bottom of the list of competitions but to train once for a championship game seems crazy especially if your opponents have been training for 6-7 weeks and have participated in challenge matches. It speak volumes for the players that with no preparation, they got as close as they did to louth; what would they have been capable of doing if they were actually together for a period playing together? Also, I would imagine that overlapping and the concession of the goals is largely down to them not playing together before and a lack of cohesion. I, personally, am starting to believe that there is plenty of young football talent in Wicklow but that outside the minor grade there seems to be a lack of organisation and planning. It is like we are beating ourselves before we go out but people that are more familiar with what is happening on the ground might say differently.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 997 - 24/05/2019 08:13:18    2187041

Link

Replying To wicklowsupport:  "I know that the leinster junior competition is at the bottom of the list of competitions but to train once for a championship game seems crazy especially if your opponents have been training for 6-7 weeks and have participated in challenge matches. It speak volumes for the players that with no preparation, they got as close as they did to louth; what would they have been capable of doing if they were actually together for a period playing together? Also, I would imagine that overlapping and the concession of the goals is largely down to them not playing together before and a lack of cohesion. I, personally, am starting to believe that there is plenty of young football talent in Wicklow but that outside the minor grade there seems to be a lack of organisation and planning. It is like we are beating ourselves before we go out but people that are more familiar with what is happening on the ground might say differently."
The Annual played 1 lost 1 move along nothing to see here junior inconvenience has passed by.
Shameful

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 232 - 29/05/2019 19:52:05    2188953

Link