Leitrim Forum

Connacht Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To SeanMacDiarmada:  "Sick of players walking off the panel. Just don't bother starting the season if you're not fully committed or likely to get annoyed if management go with other players"
I agree with this- shocking display of petulance in my opinion- let him off- no good anyway! We never rated him- over hyped and egotisticial and loved promoting himself!! Too many were fooled by it. He never performed when Leitrim needed him most. That is the mark of a truly great player, one thing he never was or will be

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 16/05/2019 10:16:08    2184494

Link

Replying To LeitrimLoyal:  "Mulligan done nothing for leitirm last few years let's be realistic. He had his hay day in Croker which he wasn't at the races at all, a great servant but time for fresh blood."
Leitrim loyal your what I would call a sunshine supporter. Mulligan and Reynolds are right to leave the panel. Leitrim have got promoted with more luck than other Leitrim teams in the past. The best of luck to both players and look forward to seeing them play for their clubs.

moreinu (Leitrim) - Posts: 10 - 16/05/2019 10:16:55    2184495

Link

Replying To moreinu:  "Leitrim loyal your what I would call a sunshine supporter. Mulligan and Reynolds are right to leave the panel. Leitrim have got promoted with more luck than other Leitrim teams in the past. The best of luck to both players and look forward to seeing them play for their clubs."
I think you're being disingenuous to the young lads that got us promoted with fighting spirit and no small degree of skill. If luck was involved don't we deserve it. We don't need players who spit the dummy. Let them off and gaze thoughtfully into the distance on some beach. There's no me in team

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 16/05/2019 10:32:16    2184501

Link

Replying To timeforachange:  "I've heard mulligan is gone and also Gary Reynolds. I don't blame them after the shambles on Sunday. Two lads who put their shoulder to the wheel and soldiered on through all the tough days. It must have been hard for them to watch on Sunday. Sitting on the bench while lads who I wouldn't rate nearly as high as them being caught like a rabbit in headlights out on the pitch. Mulligan is surely among the best 6 forwards in the county?
And by all accounts Gary Reynolds is flying and playing well with carrigallen. Are you telling me he wouldn't have put a few hits in there on Sunday and tries to stop a few rossies who were railroading through our defence? As every team has been doing all year? Management has a huge amount to answer for. Wouldn't be surprised if Jack heslin, diarmuid mc kiernan and some of the aughawillan lads walked as well. An unmitigated shambles on Sunday."
Yeah, disappointed they're gone. They've soldiered through the most difficult period of recent history. Was a big fan of Gary when he was at centre-half back. A pity the success this year came at the end of their time with the squad. To be honest, I thought we'd see Gary on the pitch this season. Might his physicality have shored up that hole down through the middle? A solid shoulder from Gary stopped many a forward in his tracks. I wonder will they be back for next year's league, which to be honest is where the priority lies for the team at the moment.

offyertrolley (Leitrim) - Posts: 128 - 16/05/2019 10:38:01    2184503

Link

Both men over the hill and couldn't handle the pace anymore. Mulligan was/is a brilliant free taker but that's about all, as for Reynolds he's probably the standout player in a poor Carrigallen team

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 16/05/2019 10:43:11    2184509

Link

Right Sunday was painful after the optimism of the spring.

Management got it very wrong. It happens lets not forget the good work done getting out of Div 4.

Id have concerns over fitness levels of a number of players. I'm not going to slate the S & C coach. The sad reality is that these players will never get to the athleticism required to play inter county.
And 4/5 years of S&C wont get them there. As Babs keating said Donkeys don't win derbies.
Players need to be identified from inside and outside the county that can get to the levels of fitness required to play intercounty. It should be a basic requirement at this level to be able to tag runners.

Players taking the huff and leaving panel makes me sick. Ego is a terrible thing and when egos are present you will get no where.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 16/05/2019 10:44:19    2184510

Link

Replying To 3rdmidfielder:  "Right Sunday was painful after the optimism of the spring.

Management got it very wrong. It happens lets not forget the good work done getting out of Div 4.

Id have concerns over fitness levels of a number of players. I'm not going to slate the S & C coach. The sad reality is that these players will never get to the athleticism required to play inter county.
And 4/5 years of S&C wont get them there. As Babs keating said Donkeys don't win derbies.
Players need to be identified from inside and outside the county that can get to the levels of fitness required to play intercounty. It should be a basic requirement at this level to be able to tag runners.

Players taking the huff and leaving panel makes me sick. Ego is a terrible thing and when egos are present you will get no where."
Brilliant post for me- could not agree more. It is scandalous and very very self centred. Probably hoping he will be begged to come back!! I'd say ye are glad to be rid of him. He will have lots of time now to promote himself on the beach and on the ball programme etc etc etc etc. Never saw anyone so self indulged playing football- put some soccer players to shame

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 16/05/2019 11:03:34    2184517

Link

Replying To harleys:  "Any truth that another few have jumped ship since the roscommon game I heard a few have walked.
When we consider how lucky we were in a few league matches we are lucky to have gained promotion and by the last game it's hard to see the progress. Big question is who will be manager next year.."
Don't think Hyland will leave but if he does- surely ye should be looking at promoting underage coaches like Dublin and Kerry do?? Next in line would be under 20 manager?? is that Josephy Cox??

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 16/05/2019 11:07:04    2184521

Link

Replying To index777:  "I think most of us supporters went on Sunday knowing that we were going to be bet. The no1 aim this year was surly to get out of division 4 and we did. Lets not go crazy panicing now ffs."
So we should just roll over and put in the worst performance in years!

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 58 - 16/05/2019 11:18:51    2184530

Link

Replying To williesboy:  "So we should just roll over and put in the worst performance in years!"
In fairness the players that are cutting their stick from the panel weeks before a potentially winnable qualifier are the ones rolling over in my opinion. Unless they have valid personal reasons to do so of course

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 16/05/2019 11:42:47    2184535

Link

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "In fairness the players that are cutting their stick from the panel weeks before a potentially winnable qualifier are the ones rolling over in my opinion. Unless they have valid personal reasons to do so of course"
I don't think any of the players leaving are any loss really anyway are they???

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 16/05/2019 11:48:10    2184539

Link

Surprised so many in here calling for managers head again, Hyland is light years ahead of almost every manager Leitrim have had since Mickey Moran and managed to drag them out of the div 4 quagmire. He did make some terrible calls last sunday though

As for those senior players walking away, No loss. Not the first time they have walked away, im not sure where the sense of entitlement comes from that they should be starting. Promotion was achieved without them.
A strong social media profile does not a top player make.

Time for players to take some personal accountability, its just not good enough that so many walk away year after year ahead of qualifiers

Pullhard1985 (USA) - Posts: 57 - 16/05/2019 12:48:07    2184571

Link

I can't believe the criticsuim that's on here. We had Mickie Moran as manager and he couldn't get us out of Div 4. Terry has achieved in 6 months what other managers couldn't in years. I'm not saying for one minute that last Sunday was an acceptable performance or even close too it but the management tried something it back fired miserably but we can't suddenly think this management team isn't up to the job. Regardless of who leaves the panel now the panel will be stronger in 2020 with Wrynn, K Bernie, and a couple more coming back id assume. The younger lads on the squad will have another year under the current S&C plan. Fair enough if we come to the championship next year and are bet for fitness then ask the questions but not 6 months into what has been a very sucessfull year to date.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 154 - 16/05/2019 12:54:00    2184574

Link

Terry's the man for the job he's progressing us he's not a miracle worker, as for mulligan leaving the panel it's all about publicity with him, darragh Rooney left the panel after the league final there was no big talk of it also Gary Reynolds apparently has also left and also no major talk of it. If your going to leave then leave without a fuss without making a big deal about it. He is no loss to Leitrim

bounceofball (Leitrim) - Posts: 24 - 16/05/2019 13:04:26    2184579

Link

Replying To Pullhard1985:  "Surprised so many in here calling for managers head again, Hyland is light years ahead of almost every manager Leitrim have had since Mickey Moran and managed to drag them out of the div 4 quagmire. He did make some terrible calls last sunday though

As for those senior players walking away, No loss. Not the first time they have walked away, im not sure where the sense of entitlement comes from that they should be starting. Promotion was achieved without them.
A strong social media profile does not a top player make.

Time for players to take some personal accountability, its just not good enough that so many walk away year after year ahead of qualifiers"
It's baffling, leaving when they could potentially have a run in the qualifiers. Is it because they are out of Connacht?
Remember though some players were saying on the media we don't have a hope of winning Connacht anyway. So why did they go to training for months and months in that case?

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 16/05/2019 13:33:50    2184588

Link

I'm surprise at mulligan always thought he'd be one of the players that would stick it out and have farewell party and him in the limelight. Its a cruel game at times. He's gone now but nobody thinks he's a big loss. Keith Beirne will replace him next year donal wrynn will replace Gary renoylds. The rest of the lads will commit. I'm sure mulligan would love to head a player strike in this county that ruined cork gaa for years. The reality of it he's at the end of a great journey With the county one that everyone would agree he gave it his all. If emyln was 20 - 25 years old I have no doubt terry would he trying to keep him in the panel. Terry constantly talks about this being a building process that could take a few years. He won't loose much sleep at lads in there 30s deciding to quit in fact I'd say it makes it easier than having to tell them they are surplus to requirements. Emyln has always and deservedly so being our star man but being a squad player isn't a role he wants and best of luck to him and thanks for his service he kept leitrim on the map for long enough time for new lads to step up to the plate now.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 154 - 16/05/2019 15:55:54    2184649

Link

Some of the posters on here need to hang their head in shame for the comments given towards Emlyn Mulligan.

This is a player that has given his all for Leitrim with little in return. He has fought back from 3 yes 3 ACL injuries. At his peak he was up there with some of the best forwards in Connacht, not just his scoring but he also had the ability to pick out a passes that few could. If this happens to be the end of his county career he should be commended for all the years of service and quality he has given to Leitrim.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2548 - 16/05/2019 15:58:11    2184651

Link

I don't get the reasoning of some people on here. These two lads have never walked before and have been some of the most committed we have. Something isn't quite right that since the league we've had 3 definite departures (Rooney, Cullen, Mulligan) and others rumoured (Reynolds, Flynn & Heslin, mc Teague)
The team picked the other day was shocking and obviously something isn't right behind the scenes that players are leaving like this.
It is a pity though.

timeforachange (Leitrim) - Posts: 61 - 16/05/2019 16:01:25    2184653

Link

Replying To The_analyser:  "Some of the posters on here need to hang their head in shame for the comments given towards Emlyn Mulligan.

This is a player that has given his all for Leitrim with little in return. He has fought back from 3 yes 3 ACL injuries. At his peak he was up there with some of the best forwards in Connacht, not just his scoring but he also had the ability to pick out a passes that few could. If this happens to be the end of his county career he should be commended for all the years of service and quality he has given to Leitrim."
Well said. Most of the criticism on here has been fuelled by a couple of trolls.

offyertrolley (Leitrim) - Posts: 128 - 16/05/2019 17:13:20    2184672

Link

This thread has gone nuts altogether.

Bashing, slating and criticising people would ye ever cop on.

Terry Hyland is going nowhere. If he had to manage Leitrim with a pick of Junior B players for the next 5 years I'd let him.

One bad result v a team light years ahead of us doesn't change the progress made.

Even if we end up one and done in the qualifiers what harm. Lads go back to clubs and the county gets ready to go again in October / November.

Times are bad when a Roscommon poster ( even if it is someone who always talks sense and is not a troll like TheAnalyser ) is talking more sense than Leitrim posters.

Emlyn has left the panel. Fair enough. His decision. Good luck to him. Owes us very little. Would happily have him back at any stage.

No confirmation as to whether Gary has left or not. I'm sure he's frustrated at a lack of game time but even still. His decision. Good luck to him. Owes us nothing. Gave unreal commitment for years.

Talk of any other younger players leaving is just conjecture. Tabloid doublespeak. Nonsense.

Should not be posted unless it's relatively verifiable as Emlyn's news was in a national paper yesterday ( albeit a tabloid )

Doesn't do the county set up any good at all.

Leave it off.

I'm disgusted to think all the progress and good feeling built up this year is in danger of being blown up in the space of a few days.

Will we ever learn?

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 316 - 16/05/2019 17:25:52    2184676

Link