Leitrim Forum

Connacht Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "A sobering day against a very poor Roscommon outfit. Is the management up to the task at all"
Ask tashy

Have to Agree though worst ros team in 10 years
So how bad are leitrim.

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1314 - 12/05/2019 20:26:02    2183381

Link

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "A sobering day against a very poor Roscommon outfit. Is the management up to the task at all"
A very poor Roscommon outfit...God how will you describe the Leitrim team so..lol!!

moros (Roscommon) - Posts: 896 - 12/05/2019 20:37:25    2183387

Link

Read an article about how fit and conditioned this side are meant to be. Looking in today they are way off the pace both in terms of fitness and physical condition and it was the same last year. I think the coach is 3 years with them now so what's wrong that they run out of steam come Championship

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 45 - 12/05/2019 21:02:37    2183399

Link

You've changed your tune. Did you forget to sign in as Tashy?

offyertrolley (Leitrim) - Posts: 124 - 12/05/2019 21:02:37    2183400

Link

Replying To offyertrolley:  "You've changed your tune. Did you forget to sign in as Tashy?"
I am not tashy. I'm not affiliated with her. I thought the league final tactics were an aberration but history has repeated on itself in terms of being able to drive a tractor through the Leitrim defence. The sideline were slow to negate a very poor Roscommon team marching rapidly through us.

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 12/05/2019 21:42:42    2183418

Link

Lads have the sense not give trolls such as spiritofeslin and tashy any attention. All the best to Leitrim in qualifiers and Div 3 next year the latter will be more important to you as that is where the most improvement will come from.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2490 - 12/05/2019 21:55:57    2183424

Link

Very disappointing to see all the other Division 4 teams who we beat apart from Derry playing so well and there we are getting hammered,very disappointing indeed.Tactics were very poor today,played Shane Moran in ff yet only kicked in about 4 balls to him,he basically spent the 2nd half chatting the Ross goalie.The 3rd goal was disgraceful kicking the ball straight to a Ross player from our own line ball and bang another goal.A home draw is a must now and hopefully we have no withdrawals till then.

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 143 - 12/05/2019 22:54:58    2183443

Link

So disappointed with today's performance, like many I had such a high expectation going to the Hyde. The biggest disappointment was the management,let's call a spade a spade, we all gave out about the previous management but at least they seemed to be learning. You can not let Roscommon run at you and leave our "two full backs "exposed. Team selection was crazy, the aligance to Aughawillan (a club I am a big fan of) was wrong in my opinion. Has this panel of players developed....absolutely not. Can't wait to hear to anyone s argument to say they have ...CHAMPIONSHIP ONLY!

lecture250 (Leitrim) - Posts: 66 - 12/05/2019 23:01:03    2183448

Link

Yes yesterday was bad. Roscommon are streets ahead of us. At the end of the day every div 4 game was more important than that result today. Yes the manner of defeat is disappointing but they are div 1. A few issues with selection playing Mcteigh midfield was strange he was injured most of the year and plays full back for his club. I thought shane Moran at full forward worked so that was a good move. Sean McWeeney, donal flynn, Pearce dolan way to slow for championship football. Good league players when ground is soft. Need to stat the likes of Aiden flynn, madden, McGovern, Heslin the next day. This team needs to keep the head up now prepare for the qualifiers but most importantly stick together up the S&C program and try stay in div 3. Limerick bet tipp Saturday but came next January leitrim will be in a better place than them

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 146 - 13/05/2019 10:03:05    2183519

Link

I think that the big call that was a mistake was moving McTague to midfield on Killoran (who scored 2 and made 1 goal). Inside forward line even although Moran did well in there scored nothing from play which is another thing to look at. On the day I think the lads did not perform and are capable of better if anyone was present during the league games, we know they can play better than yesterday.

There was a couple of players of the pace or sharpness at times this allowed Roscommon to steam through us up the field for scoring opportunities. The superior speed that Roscommon had to move the ball into the forward line from the backs compared to Leitrim was evident throughout the game. I thought Paddy Maguire did well in the game just to stick positive with regards to performances. Rossie top players, Killoran, Carty, Cox and Kilroy.

Hopefully the lads can drive on and give a better account of themselves in the qualifiers, this is a tough result to take considering the progress. But it's up to the people and supporters of Leitrim to stay behind our team and hope that we can get that qualifier win.

Ahsurelookit (Leitrim) - Posts: 3 - 13/05/2019 10:34:13    2183540

Link

To say yesterday was frustrating and deflating in equal measure is an understatement. There's many different variable as to why we looked so flat and off the pace? Is it that we started back earlier than other teams and peaked for the league?

I'm trying to be as considerate as I can about yesterday's performance in the context of the year as a whole but it is very difficult to not go overboard.

Firstly let's start with the positives. Shane Moran was immense at Full forward. The Roscommon Fullback line couldn't handle him. It was a disgrace that he never got more protection from the Ref or that his many was not booked after fouling him 6/7 times. I thought Mark Plunkett was excellent at midfield and won his battle with his man which is even more impressive when we were being so over run in this sector of the field. Shane Quinn apart from his stupid sending off (which he really needs to get out of his game) was also very good. Likewise with Paddy Maguire. If I was told beforehand that Diarmuid Murtagh would only score 1 point from play I would have been very hopeful.
Now to decipher some of the many failings.

I have been a big supporter of this management team since they were chosen and I will support them going forward but yesterday and for the league final they made some horrendous personal, positional and tactical calls that didn't give us any hope of even competing in the game. Terry has got a lot of praise and media attention so he now needs to take accountability for some terrible decisions. How they haven't got a settled team by now is crazy.

Let's get to the obvious one first. The manager hung young Fergal McTague out to dry. I like many other followers of Leitrim club football have been excited about his emergence as a fullback as it's a position we haven't been able to fill since John McKeown and I believed and still believe that he is the answer. In all of the big games or any games that I have heard of or seen Aughawillan play not once have I seen him at midfield? He has only played 30 mins of competitive football for Leitrim in a 30 minute cameo in a dead rubber against Derry so to put him in a position so vital as midfield was plain stupid. After 20 mins his man had scored 2-1 and McTague had been booked so they had to take him off. It was game over then and anything we did after that was irrelevant to be honest. From what I believe he hadn't even been tried at midfield in any of the challenge games beforehand and only learned late last week that he might be midfield. That would not occur in any other county. Were must his mind-set be today? This was even more stupid when you consider that Michael McWeeney was so far off Conor Cox who we all assumed McTague would be marking. I've never seen so many Leitrim fans as annoyed by the treatment of a young player.

Secondly, Aidan Flynn. At the beginning of the year I would have doubted whether Aidan was good enough for County football but he has proved me completely wrong. He was one of our most consistent players throughout the league and from what I know is the fittest player on the panel in any of the testing. He has started every game and done well so to then drop him when he wasn't injured was strange. This was made even worse by then bringing him on as a forward when 2 of our defenders were on Yellow cards and clearly struggling.

Thirdly, all throughout the league we played a sweeper system against poor Division 4 sides. Then when it came to the only decent one in Derry and against a Div 1 team with class forwards we don't employ a sweeper system and our defence gets shredded open time and time again. We were playing Sean McWeeney as that sweeper and it probably suited his ball reading and coolness in possession but it also shielded him from man marking where his lack of pace was a serious concern. Yet when we come to play Roscommon he is detailed to be no.6 and marking Roscommons fastest forward in Cathal Cregg??

Our kickout strategy was non-existent. We played Pearce Dolan at wing Forward yet didn't target him with any kickouts!? McCrann was really jittery early on and the only tactic he did was to boom as many kickouts onto Mark Plunkett as possible who competed well but was against 2 men most of the time. Compare this to Roscommons strategy which was brilliant. When we went short it worked better but the game was over by then.

A look at our forwards. I don't want to be personal here but how Domhnail Flynn started and finished both yesterday and the league final is beyond me. He looked unfit or unable to track his man or even have any impact on the game in an attacking sense. His man just left him and doubled up on Mark Plunkett at any opportunity. This was even more annoying seen as Jack Heslin was left on the bench. Evan Sweeney was similar. He couldn't find the little pockets of space he normally finds and did not have the required power to track his man which was killing us. Gary Plunkett looked like a shell of a player he is for Aughawillan and a footballer with absolutely no confidence which probably dates back to how he was treated during the league final. Nothing would go right for him.

Ryan O'Rourke was okay but we need so much more from him if we are going to compete. He had a few good moments where he looked dangerous but he has to become a little more street smart. He was being pulled and dragged but just let it happen whereas the Ross players bought frees or alerted the umpires etc.
I thought Pearce Dolan was holding his own without being spectacular. Why they took him off and replaced him with a defender is unknown and hard to figure out. They seem to just have decided before every game to take him off at some stage no matter what is happening on the field?

Shane Moran was a revelation at full forward and if his finishing was better we really could have rocked them early on. They couldn't get to grips with him. But it has to be asked why has he not been played here before? And also why was he played there and left in there yesterday when we were being annihilated at midfield when Moran has been our most impressive performer all year around the middle?

The most obvious thing yesterday was how far we are behind in strength and conditioning. Now some of that is natural as many of our players are young and Ross have been implementing their S&C plan a lot longer than us but there's no reason why we should have been so far off them. This is even more important when we consider that our S&C coach is so inexperienced. Would he have been given a role in any other county? And also Damien Morans injury….

Look yesterday was nightmare and the game was over after 20 minutes but we have still been promoted and have the basis of a very good young squad but there's no doubt there's areas where the management and the players can improve on for next year. Hopefully we get a decent draw for the qualifiers but it will be hard for the squad to recoup after how badly that went.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 138 - 13/05/2019 12:01:25    2183592

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "To say yesterday was frustrating and deflating in equal measure is an understatement. There's many different variable as to why we looked so flat and off the pace? Is it that we started back earlier than other teams and peaked for the league?

I'm trying to be as considerate as I can about yesterday's performance in the context of the year as a whole but it is very difficult to not go overboard.

Firstly let's start with the positives. Shane Moran was immense at Full forward. The Roscommon Fullback line couldn't handle him. It was a disgrace that he never got more protection from the Ref or that his many was not booked after fouling him 6/7 times. I thought Mark Plunkett was excellent at midfield and won his battle with his man which is even more impressive when we were being so over run in this sector of the field. Shane Quinn apart from his stupid sending off (which he really needs to get out of his game) was also very good. Likewise with Paddy Maguire. If I was told beforehand that Diarmuid Murtagh would only score 1 point from play I would have been very hopeful.

I have been a big supporter of this management team since they were chosen and I will support them going forward but yesterday and for the league final they made some horrendous personal, positional and tactical calls that didn't give us any hope of even competing in the game. Terry has got a lot of praise and media attention so he now needs to take accountability for some terrible decisions. How they haven't got a settled team by now is crazy.

Let's get to the obvious one first. The manager hung young Fergal McTague out to dry. I like many other followers of Leitrim club football have been excited about his emergence as a fullback as it's a position we haven't been able to fill since John McKeown and I believed and still believe that he is the answer. In all of the big games or any games that I have heard of or seen Aughawillan play not once have I seen him at midfield? He has only played 30 mins of competitive football for Leitrim in a 30 minute cameo in a dead rubber against Derry so to put him in a position so vital as midfield was plain stupid. After 20 mins his man had scored 2-1 and McTague had been booked so they had to take him off. It was game over then and anything we did after that was irrelevant to be honest. From what I believe he hadn't even been tried at midfield in any of the challenge games beforehand and only learned late last week that he might be midfield. That would not occur in any other county. Were must his mind-set be today? This was even more stupid when you consider that Michael McWeeney was so far off Conor Cox who we all assumed McTague would be marking. I've never seen so many Leitrim fans as annoyed by the treatment of a young player.

Secondly, Aidan Flynn. At the beginning of the year I would have doubted whether Aidan was good enough for County football but he has proved me completely wrong. He was one of our most consistent players throughout the league and from what I know is the fittest player on the panel in any of the testing. He has started every game and done well so to then drop him when he wasn't injured was strange. This was made even worse by then bringing him on as a forward when 2 of our defenders were on Yellow cards and clearly struggling.

Thirdly, all throughout the league we played a sweeper system against poor Division 4 sides. Then when it came to the only decent one in Derry and against a Div 1 team with class forwards we don't employ a sweeper system and our defence gets shredded open time and time again. We were playing Sean McWeeney as that sweeper and it probably suited his ball reading and coolness in possession but it also shielded him from man marking where his lack of pace was a serious concern. Yet when we come to play Roscommon he is detailed to be no.6 and marking Roscommons fastest forward in Cathal Cregg??

Our kickout strategy was non-existent. We played Pearce Dolan at wing Forward yet didn't target him with any kickouts!? McCrann was really jittery early on and the only tactic he did was to boom as many kickouts onto Mark Plunkett as possible who competed well but was against 2 men most of the time. Compare this to Roscommons strategy which was brilliant. When we went short it worked better but the game was over by then.

A look at our forwards. I don't want to be personal here but how Domhnail Flynn started and finished both yesterday and the league final is beyond me. He looked unfit or unable to track his man or even have any impact on the game in an attacking sense. His man just left him and doubled up on Mark Plunkett at any opportunity. This was even more annoying seen as Jack Heslin was left on the bench. Evan Sweeney was similar. He couldn't find the little pockets of space he normally finds and did not have the required power to track his man which was killing us. Gary Plunkett looked like a shell of a player he is for Aughawillan and a footballer with absolutely no confidence which probably dates back to how he was treated during the league final. Nothing would go right for him.

Ryan O'Rourke was okay but we need so much more from him if we are going to compete. He had a few good moments where he looked dangerous but he has to become a little more street smart. He was being pulled and dragged but just let it happen whereas the Ross players bought frees or alerted the umpires etc.
I thought Pearce Dolan was holding his own without being spectacular. Why they took him off and replaced him with a defender is unknown and hard to figure out. They seem to just have decided before every game to take him off at some stage no matter what is happening on the field?

Shane Moran was a revelation at full forward and if his finishing was better we really could have rocked them early on. They couldn't get to grips with him. But it has to be asked why has he not been played here before? And also why was he played there and left in there yesterday when we were being annihilated at midfield when Moran has been our most impressive performer all year around the middle?

The most obvious thing yesterday was how far we are behind in strength and conditioning. Now some of that is natural as many of our players are young and Ross have been implementing their S&C plan a lot longer than us but there's no reason why we should have been so far off them. This is even more important when we consider that our S&C coach is so inexperienced. Would he have been given a role in any other county? And also Damien Morans injury….

Look yesterday was nightmare and the game was over after 20 minutes but we have still been promoted and have the basis of a very good young squad but there's no doubt there's areas where the management and the players can improve on for next year. Hopefully we get a decent draw for the qualifiers but it will be hard for the squad to recoup after how badly that went."
Couldn't agree more with what you have said. Terry Hyland on the Sunday game says we are 4/5 years behind in strength and conditioning (whatever that means) but weeks ago praises how the team are fitter than ever.
There should be no excuse for an inter county team not to be fit when the exposure the coach has with them.

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 45 - 13/05/2019 13:50:57    2183655

Link

Replying To williesboy:  "Couldn't agree more with what you have said. Terry Hyland on the Sunday game says we are 4/5 years behind in strength and conditioning (whatever that means) but weeks ago praises how the team are fitter than ever.
There should be no excuse for an inter county team not to be fit when the exposure the coach has with them."
Great post above and agree with pretty much it all.

The lack of a sweeper was baffling especially after Roscommon doing pretty much exactly the same to us there 2 years ago as well when they just ran through the middle.

Their conditioning is way ahead of us but this has been the case for the last 4 years and unfortunately we don't seem to be closing the gap.

At no stage did I think we would be winning yesterday but certainly expected the margin of defeat to be less then the last few years.

Terry seemed like he was trying to detract the blame from himself a lot in his post game interviews. Way too much talk of "Leitrim" rather then "We".

We had a relatively good qualifier campaign last year so hopefully we can do the same and restore the confidence gained earlier on in the year.

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 280 - 13/05/2019 15:15:35    2183692

Link

Roscommon up their game for Leitrim.
Leitrim down their game for Roscommon.
Roscommon are not as good as they looked yesterday.
Leitrim are as bad as they looked yesterday.
Roscommon people can't say card. It sounds like Keyerd.
Leitrim will not stay in Division 3. Anyone who thinks they will are codding themselves.
We must aim for Division 4 silverware in 2021. Thats our only chance of winning anything.
For now all we can hope for is a kind draw in the qualifers.
Away to Tipp or Derry and theres only one verdict: More rhubarb.

Ludovic_Giuly (Leitrim) - Posts: 106 - 13/05/2019 15:28:00    2183700

Link

Replying To Ludovic_Giuly:  "Roscommon up their game for Leitrim.
Leitrim down their game for Roscommon.
Roscommon are not as good as they looked yesterday.
Leitrim are as bad as they looked yesterday.
Roscommon people can't say card. It sounds like Keyerd.
Leitrim will not stay in Division 3. Anyone who thinks they will are codding themselves.
We must aim for Division 4 silverware in 2021. Thats our only chance of winning anything.
For now all we can hope for is a kind draw in the qualifers.
Away to Tipp or Derry and theres only one verdict: More rhubarb."
Man you are negative.
I think a few changes, a home draw and we can ger through a round or two in the qualifiers

index777 (Leitrim) - Posts: 33 - 13/05/2019 16:07:20    2183711

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "To say yesterday was frustrating and deflating in equal measure is an understatement. There's many different variable as to why we looked so flat and off the pace? Is it that we started back earlier than other teams and peaked for the league?

Look yesterday was nightmare and the game was over after 20 minutes but we have still been promoted and have the basis of a very good young squad but there's no doubt there's areas where the management and the players can improve on for next year. Hopefully we get a decent draw for the qualifiers but it will be hard for the squad to recoup after how badly that went."
I agree with almost everything you said except the decision to play Moran FF can't be seen as having worked or as being a good decision, play any big man in their and you will cause a defence problems if you lump the ball in high. But Moran scored nothing yesterday and he was always good for a point or two from midfield not to mention this left us exposed around the middle and led to mc tague being played in midfield. The more you look into it the worse it reflects on the management. I would also question the S&C coach and his future like there is no reason physically we shouldn't be as fit or strong as other teams like it's not as if we have a group of 18 year olds these are young men in their prime who can bulk up in months we need to be operating at a higher level and maybe we need coaches with a better CV

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 283 - 13/05/2019 17:12:20    2183738

Link

Replying To williesboy:  "Couldn't agree more with what you have said. Terry Hyland on the Sunday game says we are 4/5 years behind in strength and conditioning (whatever that means) but weeks ago praises how the team are fitter than ever.
There should be no excuse for an inter county team not to be fit when the exposure the coach has with them."
It's always about the future with Terry. Never about the present check out any YouTube vids where he interviewed, either in Cavan or Leitrim see for yourself

Inaroundehouse (Cavan) - Posts: 946 - 13/05/2019 20:27:55    2183803

Link

Replying To Inaroundehouse:  "It's always about the future with Terry. Never about the present check out any YouTube vids where he interviewed, either in Cavan or Leitrim see for yourself"
Tashy noticed that also regarding Ferry- why is that? Is it because he's a forward thinking coach or is it that he is trying to avid talking about the presence? Whatever it is Tashy feels he should be questined on it and done so imminenly. Tashy wonders whether the people who wanted Guckin out as coach now regrit same???

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 14/05/2019 11:06:25    2183923

Link

On The Bank's post above should be required reading for everyone on the management team. The honeymoon's over boys, time to up your game - everything about Sunday's performance smacked of poor preparation and it all looked very amateurish. Of all those late switches and changes only Shane Moran's had potential (if he got proper diagonal ball and had players feeding off him at speed). You can't throw that many curve balls in the air at such a late stage and expect them to work.

TheCartownBus2 (Leitrim) - Posts: 30 - 14/05/2019 11:50:48    2183936

Link

Replying To TheCartownBus2:  "On The Bank's post above should be required reading for everyone on the management team. The honeymoon's over boys, time to up your game - everything about Sunday's performance smacked of poor preparation and it all looked very amateurish. Of all those late switches and changes only Shane Moran's had potential (if he got proper diagonal ball and had players feeding off him at speed). You can't throw that many curve balls in the air at such a late stage and expect them to work."
tashy finds it strange that people are so critical of the mangement team. surely they acheved the aim of getting promotd to divisin three?? never going to close the gip in champinship that quickly. most people here would have siad to focus on league, get romoted would u and forgit champinship- they did that and people still give out??

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 14/05/2019 12:02:03    2183943

Link