Leitrim Forum

Connacht Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To harleys:  "Can't see that team starting, can see Mc guire in full back and Quinn back no. 6 and either mulligan or mc gloin starting wing forward. I think championship pace is to fast for Donal flynn and Sean Mc weeney but let's wait and see.
To see progress we must look to be with I 5 or 6 points, looking back to two years ago in the Hyde when the only positive that day was Daragh Rooneys brilliant goal early in the first half we have come along way... I remember half time that day we were at least 10 or 12 points down and John o Mahoney didn't follow the team in at half time he clearly distanced himself from the team as if to say he didn't want to be associated with Leitrim football, that was a low point but there has been a lot of progress made under Terry but the league is over and the championship is a different ball game"
Credit must be given to former manager Brendan Guckian for unearthing all these new lads and giving them a go. Many managers wouldn't have had his courage.

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 09/05/2019 23:12:40    2182854

Link

Replying To harleys:  "Yes I agree we have a strong bench however one criticism I would have of the current management is they are slow to bring lads on even when it's clear lads on the field are out of steam. For me plunket should start and mc gloin for his speed alone. I can't understand why enda Smith isn't starting he must be injured?? Or he may just start? Can't understand why managers can't just name the starting 15 that's going to start like is their really an advantage naming the wrong line up? I'm sure it messes with lads heads"
Smith picked up an injury last weekend against Armagh..he may be on the bench. Cunningham all through the league started the team he named so I'm fairly confident that will be the starting 15 for Sunday.

dave1988 (Roscommon) - Posts: 562 - 10/05/2019 10:14:49    2182892

Link

Michael McWeeney, Paddy Maguire, Shane Quinn, Mark Plunkett, and Jack Heslin are the only surviving starting players from when we played Ross in Carrick last year and Maguire and Plunkett played no league football in 2018. Thats 10 new starting players. Now that has alot to do with the stupid team selection and players not committing to the previous management but theres no doubt we are alot better coached and have a far higher quality if players available this year.

Maybe its a false hope but after seeing that Ross team without McManus, Lennon and the 2 Smiths along with Fintan Cregg etc I'm far more confident than I was previously. Alot of our younger players don't have the baggage that the olders ones did and they play without fear. We also have a good scatter of Mohill and Aughawillan players who are used to winning and won't lie down.
We need a big Leitrim crowd in the Hyde!

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 66 - 10/05/2019 10:49:39    2182896

Link

Replying To dave1988:  "Smith picked up an injury last weekend against Armagh..he may be on the bench. Cunningham all through the league started the team he named so I'm fairly confident that will be the starting 15 for Sunday."
Tashy firmly believes it won't matter in the greater scheme of the thing as we will win comfortably. Anyone who says any differently is deluded or doesn't know the full facts like Tashy does

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 10/05/2019 10:54:21    2182898

Link

I think both teams will start with the 15 named maybe not in the exact positions. I don't think enda smith will be on the bench if it's a hand injury. If he's ok to be on the bench he's ok to start. Some key battles that we have to win to give us even a small chance is our full back line breaking even with cox and D. Murtagh they are the main threat. Obviously our midfield need to win that battle which I think they can. We also need to stop the roscommon half backs attacking at will. They hammered us in that area 2 years ago. Our full forward line is going to have to take 90% of our chances. We will prob get 20 shots over the 70 mins we need to score 17 times to give us a chance. That's a huge ask but roscommon will score at least 15 times.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 158 - 10/05/2019 13:06:07    2182928

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "I think both teams will start with the 15 named maybe not in the exact positions. I don't think enda smith will be on the bench if it's a hand injury. If he's ok to be on the bench he's ok to start. Some key battles that we have to win to give us even a small chance is our full back line breaking even with cox and D. Murtagh they are the main threat. Obviously our midfield need to win that battle which I think they can. We also need to stop the roscommon half backs attacking at will. They hammered us in that area 2 years ago. Our full forward line is going to have to take 90% of our chances. We will prob get 20 shots over the 70 mins we need to score 17 times to give us a chance. That's a huge ask but roscommon will score at least 15 times."
Really looking forward to the big game tomorrow. One game won't define this team after what they have done this year but it will be a stepping stone for next year.
From what is being said there might be one or 2 changes to the Leitrim team that has been named and a good few positional switches.
Obviously that Roscommon team that is named is more than capable of doing a number on us as they are used to playing a far higher level than us but the facts are they are missing Enda Smith, Ciaran Murtagh, Brian Stack, John McManus, Cathal Devanaey, Niall McInerney, Donie Smith and Cathal Compton none of whom will be starting the match tomorrow or aren't on their panel at all for various reasons but if they were available would be on their first 15. This also shows the scary depth that is in Roscommon Football. Two lesser known players on their bench to watch out for if they are introduced are Cian McKeown and Cathal Heneghan.

Under Cunningham they are not as gung-ho as they were under McStay so it won't be as easy to open them up but they will be a lot more physical. Thankfully they will still persist in playing Kilroy as a sweeper this will allow Shane Quinn to drop into the same role for Leitrim without leaving an obvious free man.
What gives me hope is that we have a far stronger spine in the team this year that won't be pushed around. But that we also have pace in Quinn, Mulvey, McGloin, Heslin, O'Rourke etc.
Going to need a big spread of scorers if we are to compete as I fully expect them to give 'special attention' to Ryan O'Rourke. If we are to pull off a shock we will need 2/3 goals. Our shooting can be hit/miss or flaky at times so hopefully we can make better decisions or execute more effectively when we get into the scoring zone.
Another thing we are going to have to be careful about is discipline. Reynolds, McTague, Shane Quinn and a few more are known to get heated and give away needless frees or pick up stupid cards that will be a nightmare if it occurs tomorrow especially in the Hyde where the crowd will be on the Ref's back and were weaker counties like Leitrim will get nothing from the Ref.
If we are still in the game in the second half we are going to need a huge impact off the bench from the likes of Gary Plunkett, Mulligan, McGovern etc.
Ross seem to be trying to pack the middle third by starting, Kiloran, O'Rourke, Darcy and Harney. That's 4 big men well capable of wining primary possession around the middle. So we will need to take in to them here.
Here's how I think we could line out. With Aidan Flynn maybe starting ahead of Reynolds potentially.

McCrann

McWeeney McTague Reynolds/Flynn*

Quinn

Mulvey Maguire McGloin*

Dolan
Plunkett

Heslin Flynn
Sweeney Moran O'Rourke

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 66 - 11/05/2019 11:34:01    2183074

Link

Enda Smith, Ciaran Murtagh, Brian Stack, John McManus, Cathal Devanaey, Niall McInerney, Donie Smith and Cathal Compton none of whom will be starting the match tomorrow or aren't on their panel at all
There all on panel bar mc inerney c murtagh Compton
Devaney is injured
Rest on sub bench enda 50-50
And kilroy wont be sweeping 1 of our best forwards during league.

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1356 - 11/05/2019 12:20:14    2183082

Link

If the team starts as selected then I think we will line up like this

mcCrann
McWeeney McTeigh Renoylds
Quinn
McWeeney Maguire Mulvey
Plunkett Moran Dolan
Flynn Heslin
O Rourke Sweeney

I think we have to push up on roscommon no short kick outs especially without enda smith I think we need them too kick long. If they are missing a few regular players then we need to make this into a war around that middle third and not let them build from the back.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 158 - 11/05/2019 14:41:56    2183096

Link

Best of luck to the lads tomorrow. We need a huge performance tomorrow all 20 players used will need to be on top of their game. What used to be a great rivalry has really turned into a damp squib for several years now because roscommon has been miles better than us and we need starting tomorrow to close this wide gap between the teams. Roscommon as much as they say otherwise have one eye on mayo and given their dominance over us you couldn't blame them. We need to show them what leitrim football is all about get them into a battle they are not expecting and see where that takes us. This team is not without its flaws but I have great faith in the ability of this team. I'd be very disappointed if we are not within 6 points of Roscommon at the end.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 367 - 11/05/2019 15:55:50    2183108

Link

Replying To OhtobeARossie:  "Enda Smith, Ciaran Murtagh, Brian Stack, John McManus, Cathal Devanaey, Niall McInerney, Donie Smith and Cathal Compton none of whom will be starting the match tomorrow or aren't on their panel at all
There all on panel bar mc inerney c murtagh Compton
Devaney is injured
Rest on sub bench enda 50-50
And kilroy wont be sweeping 1 of our best forwards during league."
Conor Devaney.Safe trip to all the Leitrm supporters heading to the Hyde.Let's hope for a good crowd,a good atmosphere and a good game.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1156 - 11/05/2019 16:03:15    2183112

Link

Absolute shambles today! Roscommon left behind 3 if not 4 goals and 10 wides! Hyland setting up man on man is a shocking set up. Terrible performance and we haven't progress as well as we have thought.

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 59 - 12/05/2019 17:11:03    2183300

Link

No different to last year if not a worse performance

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 12/05/2019 17:12:58    2183302

Link

The Rossies look to have thought us a lesson today. I hope we at least get a favourable draw in the qualifers.

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 124 - 12/05/2019 17:18:25    2183305

Link

For the lad that thought we are a division 3 team all the best in it next year.

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1356 - 12/05/2019 18:01:46    2183320

Link

Eye opener in the hyde. Set up was baffling we were wide open. Physically way way off it. Hope qualifer draw is very kind.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 12/05/2019 18:22:28    2183328

Link

Seems very odd that we've abandoned the system that got us promoted with Plunkett at centre back. As per 2 years ago Roscommon just ran through the middle of us at will.

MagnumPIG (Leitrim) - Posts: 124 - 12/05/2019 18:58:01    2183348

Link

Well it could have been worse. It could have been raining! Now look ..this is a bit like Ole gunner at man utd !! Now no one was asking for a win realistically today however what a shambles.
Have the management got carried away with our league campaign ? Play a sweeper system against all D4 sides however when it comes to playing against super 8 and D1 sides we will go man on man !!! Then lets see .....lets play a guy midfield that never has played midfield, drop a midfielder , play another in half forward line and another full forward. Thats a few plans ...now the rest of the game plan ....oh no we dont have one.
Final point ...no matter how the game evolves over the years there is one aspect of the game that will never change..the need to be fit ..very fit. There is no reason in the wide world why we can not be as fit as the opposition. Get hammered out the gate by a better footballing team is no problem but not having the fitness to chase n battle is not on at any inter county level

TwoFeet (Leitrim) - Posts: 20 - 12/05/2019 19:42:02    2183359

Link

A sobering day against a very poor Roscommon outfit. Is the management up to the task at all

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 12/05/2019 20:04:02    2183370

Link

I'm saying it all year lads on the starting 15 don't have the pace or quality for this level and in club games they are not standing out. I won't name names because everyman goes out to do his best but we all know who they are.
Also can't believe the game plan like is that really the best we can come up with lump it in high on Moran and hope we get a few lucky breaks. Ryan o Rourke is our main threat so the game pplan should revolve around him, play fast ball inside to him Plunkett sweeney and have heslin mulligan mc gloin and our midfielders running through to take scores.
We haven't progressed as far as some here think although we have made progress but maintaining division 3 status will be a huge challenge. I dont think we should hope for a favourable draw but home advantage would help however we need to walk away from the joke of a set up we employed today and go back to fast moving football with lots of support runs start the fast sharp lads and bring on the physical slower lads to see it out.

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 285 - 12/05/2019 20:16:07    2183377

Link

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "A sobering day against a very poor Roscommon outfit. Is the management up to the task at all"
Do you really think we're that poor.Not a very gracious way to take a hammering.Best of luck to Leitrim in the qualifiers.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1156 - 12/05/2019 20:21:32    2183379

Link