Leitrim Forum

Connacht Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "The stand out feature in Leitrim's first 5 league game this year was consistent low scores conceded. 0-11 v Wexford,1-12 v Wicklow,1-10 v Antrim,0-11 v Limerick and 0-7 v London

And i should add a few games in the league that Leitrim didn't score plenty. 1-9 v London,0-12 v Limerick and 0-14 v Antrim which i think highlights a big focus on put on defending and giving Leitrim the best opportunity of winning all those games and gaining promotion with a few games to spare."
Oh I cannot understand your negativity. It is very draining on the thing and it needs to stop herewith would you.

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 07/05/2019 10:50:27    2182247

Link

So finally it's game week. Seems a short week too with bank holiday. Anyone have any team news. I suppose we can second geuss team line up all we want but doubtful any of us will get it right. Terry has a lot of decisions to make.

1. Full back line. Will flynn or c. Renoylds start. Will paddy Maguire go to center back
2. Half back line will Plunkett go to midfield. Shane Quinn to number 6?
3. Moran Plunkett dolan Mc govern which out of them 4 will start midfield and who will go full forward?
4. Half forward line will mulligan start? McGloin start? Sean McWeeney start at 10 and drop back?
5. Who plays full forward with Ryan? Evan Sweeney, Gary Plunkett, Pearce Dolan, Damien Moran?

So many decisions to make. I hope Gary Plunkett starts still can't figure out how he didn't get game time in Croke park.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 154 - 07/05/2019 11:47:42    2182265

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "So finally it's game week. Seems a short week too with bank holiday. Anyone have any team news. I suppose we can second geuss team line up all we want but doubtful any of us will get it right. Terry has a lot of decisions to make.

1. Full back line. Will flynn or c. Renoylds start. Will paddy Maguire go to center back
2. Half back line will Plunkett go to midfield. Shane Quinn to number 6?
3. Moran Plunkett dolan Mc govern which out of them 4 will start midfield and who will go full forward?
4. Half forward line will mulligan start? McGloin start? Sean McWeeney start at 10 and drop back?
5. Who plays full forward with Ryan? Evan Sweeney, Gary Plunkett, Pearce Dolan, Damien Moran?

So many decisions to make. I hope Gary Plunkett starts still can't figure out how he didn't get game time in Croke park."
I would hazard a guess that Terry will spring a surpriser or two. I would not be surprised to see Mulligan starting at wing back to drop forward to the exclusion zone or maybe gary reynolds start at left half full back to maybe alternate with his namesake in the other area as such. Aside from that I sink that Terry will play with three up top in the full forward line at his disposal in the scoring zone

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 07/05/2019 14:08:09    2182290

Link

Replying To tashy:  "I would hazard a guess that Terry will spring a surpriser or two. I would not be surprised to see Mulligan starting at wing back to drop forward to the exclusion zone or maybe gary reynolds start at left half full back to maybe alternate with his namesake in the other area as such. Aside from that I sink that Terry will play with three up top in the full forward line at his disposal in the scoring zone"
Few forwards injured. Anyone else hear anything

MadAboutLeitrim (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 07/05/2019 15:12:12    2182310

Link

Replying To tashy:  "Oh I cannot understand your negativity. It is very draining on the thing and it needs to stop herewith would you."
I guess you quoted the wrong post there?

As a neutral I reckon this match will be a closer encounter than the last 3 championship meeting. Leitrim finally have manager/management team in place that know what they are doing.

I don't know about the injury situation but if everyone was fit I guess this will be the Leitrim starting team on Sunday.

C McCrann
A Flynn, M McWeeney, P Maguire
R Mulvey, S Quinn S McWeeney,
M Plunkett, S Moran
D McGovern, E Mulligan D Flynn
E Sweeney R O'Rourke J Heslin

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2425 - 07/05/2019 18:41:14    2182353

Link

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "I guess you quoted the wrong post there?

As a neutral I reckon this match will be a closer encounter than the last 3 championship meeting. Leitrim finally have manager/management team in place that know what they are doing.

I don't know about the injury situation but if everyone was fit I guess this will be the Leitrim starting team on Sunday.

C McCrann
A Flynn, M McWeeney, P Maguire
R Mulvey, S Quinn S McWeeney,
M Plunkett, S Moran
D McGovern, E Mulligan D Flynn
E Sweeney R O'Rourke J Heslin"
I think I'd start Gary Plunkett instead of with mulligan or donal flynn. One of them 2 prob has to start for taking free kicks id start mulligan if that is the case. Maybe donal flynn on the sweeper role instead of Sean Mc Weeny?

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 154 - 07/05/2019 19:56:10    2182362

Link

Been a long time since I've been excited about a Roscommon and Leitrim game.
Now don't get me wrong I don't expect us to win as our average losing margin is 14 points against them lately and they were Division One this year while we were Division 4. But I fully expect us to scare them and to get within 6 points.

Cullen and Darragh Rooney are gone. And Damien Moran has done his cruciate (the stupid circumstances we will revisit after the championship) and Sean Flanagan is still out along with Oisin Madden.
McCrann, O'Rourke, McWeeney and Maguire all had injuries but have been back training. Donal Wrynn has been in for a few sessions but will not be taking part…

In the challenge games and in-house games we played the word is there will be a few changes from the league final. Looks like Fergal McTague will be in the full back line which I think is correct when you look at the power Conor Cox possesses.

After that is where I think I will once again disagree with a few of Terry's selections but that is why he is the boss I suppose.

The team I would go with is
McCrann
Maguire McTague McWeeney
Flynn Quinn Mulvey
Moran
Dolan
McGloin Plunkett Heslin
O'Rourke Plunkett Sweeney

I think Ross will pack the middle this with Enda Smith, Tadhg O'Rourke, Ultan Harney and Shane Kiloran all making it as physical as possible. This is why I would play Aidan Flynn and Wing Back. He has power and Pace and did well here against Monaghan when he came on last year. He would give good support to Dolan, Moran, McGloin and Plunkett who are all well able to handle themselves in the middle third.

There is talk that there's a few injuries in the Ross camp which would be a benefit to us but even some of their younger unknown players like McKeown and Heneghan could do damage if they get a run.

Heslin and O'Rourke could be the difference makers for us. Their pace (along with McGloins) will be crucial as they have the ability to take on any defence in the country. Like most other posters I want Gary Plunkett to be let loose but I have a feeling he won't be started. One of the Dalys will be full back and I think G Plunkett would be well able to mix it with him.

Heres the team I think Terry will start
McCrann
McWeeney McTague Flynn
Maguire McWeeney Mulvey
Moran
Plunkett
Quinn Heslin Flynn
McGloin O'Rourke Sweeney

Hopefully there's a huge crowd from Leitrim to cheer the lads on!

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 140 - 07/05/2019 20:02:11    2182364

Link

If we are really going to challenge on Sunday we are going to have to have progressed from the league which I feel is possible but there's no doubt there's a few necessary changes.

Firstly we need more pace in the team. In my eyes Sean McWeeney, Domhnail Flynn, Dean McGovern and Emlyn Mulligan are all good footballers but at the moment don't have the necessary speed to be starting in an inter-county championship game against division One opposition.

Jack Heslin is a guaranteed starter and it was only his dodgy hamstring that kept him out of the team versus Derry. I've also been hearing that Fergal McTague has been going well so I'd expect him to be in too. I wouldn't be surprised if a bolter like Oisin McCaffery or Noel Plunkett sees game time at some stage.

Shane Moran I think has the attributes to tag Enda Smith but now and again might need to switch with someone for a 5 minute breather. That could be the key match up. Would like to see Quinn as a swerper again and if McTague is in at full back this might free Paddy to go to no 6.

Our half forward line has been an issue ever since Jack Heslin got injured. We were being left to isolated in our full forward line with no link man and without an out ball from our defence. That's why I'd leave Jack on the half forward line with three lads inside that would mean four players in attack at all times. Would still leave us with more than enough players defending.

I expect a massive game from Cillian McGloin he was playing very well before getting injured in the final and his pace is scary but he is also an option for kickouts even at his age. Be interesting will he put Mark Plunkett at midfield or even no 11 can't see him back at 6 anyway! The use of Pearce Dolan will also be telling, will he play him atall? Or will he start him at full forward which I think is counterproductive as I feel he is our best fielder in the county and suite the match up with O'Rourke in midfield.

Free taking is one area where hopefully we have improved that should make a real difference to the scoreboard. No problem with Ryan O'Rourke taking them. Same goes for Gary Plunkett who has kicked them in big matched for the Willies. On the longer ones McCrann and Mark Plunkett are well able to step up And then Emlyn when he is introduced. Its an area we need to nail down.

Matching them in the middle third will be crucial if we do that and stop the supply chain going into some of their brilliant attackers we should be able to put it upto them!

Believe!!

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 08/05/2019 09:35:41    2182420

Link

Tashy believes that Roscommon will win the game pulling up. Anyone who knows tashy will say that he has his finger on the pulse and usually calls these things correctly. It Roscommon win comfortably Tashy will not crow about being correct or be smug about it. tashy will sit back and wait for next game and when all is weighed up tashy will then make a prediction on that game

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 08/05/2019 11:02:58    2182434

Link

Let's hope Terry picks a team that will be roaring ready for Roscommon. I think we can give them a serious rattle but fitness levels must be maintained all throughout the game.

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 08/05/2019 11:41:26    2182443

Link

Looking forward to this game Sunday, will be interesting to see will Roscommon have a specific plan for O'Rourke who is the main danger for Leitrim I assume. Will Leitrim drop forwards back? This was a trait for Hyland for Cavan, while I can understand why Leitrim would do that that would mean inviting the Dalys further up the field and they can do damage up front as good as any forward.

RossiesRus (Roscommon) - Posts: 1 - 08/05/2019 12:37:48    2182454

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "Been a long time since I've been excited about a Roscommon and Leitrim game.
Now don't get me wrong I don't expect us to win as our average losing margin is 14 points against them lately and they were Division One this year while we were Division 4. But I fully expect us to scare them and to get within 6 points.

Cullen and Darragh Rooney are gone. And Damien Moran has done his cruciate (the stupid circumstances we will revisit after the championship) and Sean Flanagan is still out along with Oisin Madden.
McCrann, O'Rourke, McWeeney and Maguire all had injuries but have been back training. Donal Wrynn has been in for a few sessions but will not be taking part…

In the challenge games and in-house games we played the word is there will be a few changes from the league final. Looks like Fergal McTague will be in the full back line which I think is correct when you look at the power Conor Cox possesses.

After that is where I think I will once again disagree with a few of Terry's selections but that is why he is the boss I suppose.

The team I would go with is
McCrann
Maguire McTague McWeeney
Flynn Quinn Mulvey
Moran
Dolan
McGloin Plunkett Heslin
O'Rourke Plunkett Sweeney

I think Ross will pack the middle this with Enda Smith, Tadhg O'Rourke, Ultan Harney and Shane Kiloran all making it as physical as possible. This is why I would play Aidan Flynn and Wing Back. He has power and Pace and did well here against Monaghan when he came on last year. He would give good support to Dolan, Moran, McGloin and Plunkett who are all well able to handle themselves in the middle third.

There is talk that there's a few injuries in the Ross camp which would be a benefit to us but even some of their younger unknown players like McKeown and Heneghan could do damage if they get a run.

Heslin and O'Rourke could be the difference makers for us. Their pace (along with McGloins) will be crucial as they have the ability to take on any defence in the country. Like most other posters I want Gary Plunkett to be let loose but I have a feeling he won't be started. One of the Dalys will be full back and I think G Plunkett would be well able to mix it with him.

Heres the team I think Terry will start
McCrann
McWeeney McTague Flynn
Maguire McWeeney Mulvey
Moran
Plunkett
Quinn Heslin Flynn
McGloin O'Rourke Sweeney

Hopefully there's a huge crowd from Leitrim to cheer the lads on!"
Who did leitrim play in challenges and how did they get on ?

Theeagleeye (Roscommon) - Posts: 69 - 08/05/2019 12:41:11    2182457

Link

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "Let's hope Terry picks a team that will be roaring ready for Roscommon. I think we can give them a serious rattle but fitness levels must be maintained all throughout the game."
Tashy understands that the team Cunningham will pick will be picked based on a running game. when teams run at Leitrim they struggle would you. And if this happens on Sunday Tashy thinks that Roscommon's overall physical strength will be too much for the Leitrim lads. The team picked depend on personnel avaiilable to the coaching staff on the pitchside and training field and if they are unavailable they can't be picked upon to be called ashore in the middle third of the game played at full pace according to tashy

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 08/05/2019 12:41:12    2182458

Link

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "Let's hope Terry picks a team that will be roaring ready for Roscommon. I think we can give them a serious rattle but fitness levels must be maintained all throughout the game."
Yourself and tashy are Poor Judges.

FatRef (Leitrim) - Posts: 12 - 08/05/2019 12:55:24    2182463

Link

Replying To FatRef:  "Yourself and tashy are Poor Judges."
You don't think we can rattle Roscommon?

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 08/05/2019 13:19:25    2182469

Link

Loads of new "rossie" posters suddenly appearing winding up presume its ur own lot.
Very hard have a comment displayed at moment for me anyhow and yet i see a load of rubbish let through on this topic.

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1345 - 08/05/2019 13:49:29    2182480

Link

What's with the 3rd person posting Tashy. Maybe because Tashy has gone a little silly since he was found out on the national forum?

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2425 - 08/05/2019 14:06:53    2182485

Link

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "What's with the 3rd person posting Tashy. Maybe because Tashy has gone a little silly since he was found out on the national forum?"
oh now Tashy will not accept that from someone living in the US and A and why do you do this to me?

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 08/05/2019 14:59:42    2182502

Link

Replying To OhtobeARossie:  "Loads of new "rossie" posters suddenly appearing winding up presume its ur own lot.
Very hard have a comment displayed at moment for me anyhow and yet i see a load of rubbish let through on this topic."
Why are you coming onto the leitrim page saying that? Irrelevant to us

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 08/05/2019 15:38:04    2182516

Link

Replying To tashy:  "oh now Tashy will not accept that from someone living in the US and A and why do you do this to me?"
Tashy needs to lay down and rest his head.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2425 - 08/05/2019 17:25:23    2182555

Link