Sligo Forum

Amalgamations

(Oldest Posts First)

I see the minor league started today. Shocked to see only 6 "Teams" in the A league. Then after having a quick scan through the fixtures something sticks out like a sore thumb. The amount of clubs joining up together is becoming a joke at underage. Take the Minor A for example, you have.. St Farnans/St Pat's, Cloonacool/Tubbercurry, Easkey/Enniscrone and Ballymote/Buninadden. Molaise must have at least 3/4 parishs also. Curry are the other team in the group. I'd imagine Curry are one of the smallest picks in the county yet are always competitive at A level? How come they can do it and not other clubs? It's pure laziness. Then in the B you have the clubs with a huge pick. Shamrock Gaels, St Marys, Drumcliffe, Coolera, St John's, Calry. It's so messed up.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 197 - 18/03/2019 14:35:47    2173407

Link

Owenmore Gaels and Johns have amalgamated in the minor in what has to be one of the strangest amalgamations in recent history. Serious stretch between Ballinacarrow and town. Its worrying that a club the size of Johns can't field a team on their own. Are Drumcliff and Calry amalgamated for the minor this year similar to the u16 last year?

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 186 - 18/03/2019 18:12:38    2173472

Link

and not alone that but out of the 4! west divison teams playing eachother today(in one game) there was a total squad with the 4 together of 29 players!!! .....

Timmy86 (Sligo) - Posts: 80 - 18/03/2019 23:26:36    2173557

Link

I can understand Pats and Farnans here, and Ballymote and Buninnadden as they have struggled to field in recent years in many age groups. Plus they are beside eachother and not huge parishes.
Johns and Owenmore Gaels is a bloody embarrassment. Drumcliffe too going in with Calry if that's true. Are teams just determined to field at 'A' level one way or another?
Well, it will lead to lesser numbers. Them guys on the fringes of their own club will find other past times with amalgamations. In 10 years time, these clubs won't have enough players to field at any level.
There needs to be some restriction to this nonsense.
What happened to a bit of pride among clubs? This shouldn't be done unless absolutely necessary.

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 56 - 18/03/2019 23:28:01    2173558

Link

but not alone that but n the west division game you d 4 clubs playing one game and between the 4 clubs there was a total of 29 players togged ....

Timmy86 (Sligo) - Posts: 80 - 19/03/2019 06:22:16    2173588

Link

Hmmm, as pointed out in an earlier post we have serious issues within the county at present never mind the future for some of these clubs. St John's for all the good work they do must have a serious review of their under age structures and why they are losing players to other codes and the reasons for other potential players simply not interested. In terms of population surely there are 18 players in almost half of Sligo town who could and should be playing for St Johns - the same could be said of Collooney especially with the growth of population there in recent years.

Apart from the above clubs the finger of blame is pointing directly at the County Board who appear to have their head in the sand with their outdated coaching policies. We should commission a comprehensive review of our underage games programmes, the coaching staff (who appear to have a job for life) and what they actually have achieved. Schools both national and secondary as to why we have a fall off, a review of where we are NOT getting players from (urban wards, rural areas). Quite simply, there is no requirement to reinvent a wheel as the top counties in Ireland already have blueprints in place and we should be looking at the likes of Tyrone and indeed our neighbours in Mayo to replicate same.

Finally, I leave you with this thought, Sligo's population is increasing and set to increase more and yet we are set to losing clubs!

leyny (Sligo) - Posts: 22 - 19/03/2019 10:12:46    2173616

Link

Crazy that St Johns & Owenmore Gales have to join together & I see Calry couldn't field a team against Castleconnor
( probably one of the clubs with the smallest pick ). Interesting to take a look at school days.ie & see the numbers attending schools in the various areas. I believe the best way to get kids playing football is through the schools with Cumann na mBunscol & mini 7s competitions. Do these clubs even know how many kids are in their catchment areas & send coaches to the schools to help with training, then they could try to persuade them to join their local Gaa club.

Sligo75 (Sligo) - Posts: 8 - 23/03/2019 23:09:20    2174601

Link

Lads are GPO's have to have something/someone to answer to and take some responsibility. 4 full time employed coaches and teams can't field at minor and u16 levels, very very worrying. They take pictures of them at schools during the week, but is that all they do? They should be working closely with the smaller secondary schools and clubs ensuring kids keep up football. I think thwse development squads that are the root of the problem, lads don't get picked at 12/13 and lose interest in football. Instead why can they not coach the coaches and ensure that all players are getting exposed to the high quality sessions these academy lads are supposed to be getting.
The bigger schools (Summerhill/Attractas) have more than enough qualified teachers there to do the coaching. There is an increasing amount of other sports avilable especially in around the town area with rugby and basketball on the rise and sligo rovers now recruiting at a very young age, but with rural clubs such as Castleconnor and Curry able to field, why are the more urban clubs not able to field and complete? There is a lot of clubs doing good work at nursery level? But there is still a huge drop off from 15-18.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 186 - 24/03/2019 21:50:48    2174997

Link

But sure Sligo GAA underage coaching are promoting and encouraging clubs to amalgamate at underage level. It's their plan to weed out any weaker players at a younger level and ensure stronger players are playing each other more regularly. Rather than encouraging more young lads to play Gaelic games they want to ensure players who are not of the required standard to give up the game at a younger age. What about the late developers? There are many examples in every club of players currently playing at senior level who were not very good underage players. Sligo GAA want to ensure that these type of players don't progress.

I have sympathy for smaller clubs who cannot filed teams at underage however clubs with big populations like Ballymote, Owenmore Gaels, St Johns, Calry, Drumcliffe, Enniscrone should not be allowed amalgamate to field teams. Either promote the game in your area and get 15/20 players to play or don't bother entering a team.

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 258 - 12/04/2019 12:28:54    2178560

Link

Replying To Anto:  "But sure Sligo GAA underage coaching are promoting and encouraging clubs to amalgamate at underage level. It's their plan to weed out any weaker players at a younger level and ensure stronger players are playing each other more regularly. Rather than encouraging more young lads to play Gaelic games they want to ensure players who are not of the required standard to give up the game at a younger age. What about the late developers? There are many examples in every club of players currently playing at senior level who were not very good underage players. Sligo GAA want to ensure that these type of players don't progress.

I have sympathy for smaller clubs who cannot filed teams at underage however clubs with big populations like Ballymote, Owenmore Gaels, St Johns, Calry, Drumcliffe, Enniscrone should not be allowed amalgamate to field teams. Either promote the game in your area and get 15/20 players to play or don't bother entering a team."
I have to say this is one of the best posts I've ever read on this page. It's extremely accurate and pretty depressing. I've never seen underage or adult football in the county as weak as it is. The only exceptions are a couple of small south Sligo clubs like Curry and Tourlestrane who consistently seem to get the best out of what they have. The drive toward elitism has ruined all the other clubs. The introduction of amalgamations with no provision that clubs MUST always, as priority, field on their own at a lower level, has been one of the worst decision made in Sligo GAA that I can remember. I understand there is a move to reverse this but it has already met with opposition. Clubs seem to believe if they don't have 15 lads that are full age or at worst one year outThere was an extensive underage review conducted last year with some very good people involved. From what I heard it identified this and other issues that were to be addressed. Hopefully its followed through on.

ShakeHands (Sligo) - Posts: 22 - 15/04/2019 10:34:27    2178894

Link

Replying To ShakeHands:  "I have to say this is one of the best posts I've ever read on this page. It's extremely accurate and pretty depressing. I've never seen underage or adult football in the county as weak as it is. The only exceptions are a couple of small south Sligo clubs like Curry and Tourlestrane who consistently seem to get the best out of what they have. The drive toward elitism has ruined all the other clubs. The introduction of amalgamations with no provision that clubs MUST always, as priority, field on their own at a lower level, has been one of the worst decision made in Sligo GAA that I can remember. I understand there is a move to reverse this but it has already met with opposition. Clubs seem to believe if they don't have 15 lads that are full age or at worst one year outThere was an extensive underage review conducted last year with some very good people involved. From what I heard it identified this and other issues that were to be addressed. Hopefully its followed through on."
I've never minded it as a once off. But looking at it continuing each year as in Ballymote and Buninadden, Easkey and Enniscrone/Farnans, Geevagh and St. Michaels, etc, I feel there is an almost inevitability about it at this stage that some of these clubs will fold or amalgamate at senior. The situation in West Sligo at the moment is unacceptable in my opinion. Easkey were the pride of the county over the past 6 months, but they are the town bike of underage football in Sligo.
I've made my feelings know to my own club members on this and hope we can work harder at nursery level to get kids enjoying it first of all. And then to work even harder to bring them to adult level.

It sounds great in that these clubs will be stronger, but we will have up on 50 percent fewer playing Gaelic Football in these respective clubs in years to come if these clubs amalgamate. It will be the end of the guy that took a little bit longer to grow, or develop as a footballer. He will find a different pastime. What a shame that would be.

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 56 - 15/04/2019 12:28:43    2178917

Link