Sligo Forum

Sligo Club Fixtures 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Fixtures,times and venues for first two rounds of Championship are done and dusted. All clubs know them.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 635 - 17/07/2019 00:50:50    2212164

Link

Replying To westsligoawakes:  "What happened to 10 day rule? There used to always be a minimum of 2 weeks for championship games and I can't think what would be holding them up"
I would expect they will be released today, was generally on previous Wednesday during the league and just about fulfills the 10 days. Would be nice if this could be at least 14 or 15 days. As westSligoawakes says with Sligo's championship over i'm not sure what stops games being fixed at this stage for whole championship, perhaps referee availability?

shorona (Sligo) - Posts: 112 - 17/07/2019 08:03:31    2212184

Link

Fixtures,times and venues for first two rounds of Championship are done and dusted. All clubs know them.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 635 - 17/07/2019 08:32:38    2212191

Link

First round games are available on the website. Very strange venue choices again.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 197 - 17/07/2019 15:43:10    2212399

Link

Replying To NewSligofan:  "First round games are available on the website. Very strange venue choices again."
And all Saturday games on at the same time with no double headers. You'll be no doubt paying €10 at each gate too. It's as if they don't want supporters to bother turning up at all.

ChasingShadows (Sligo) - Posts: 38 - 17/07/2019 17:37:22    2212457

Link

You really have to wonder who makes these calls. We will be in the last week in July and not a single double header? Curry and Easkey have been asked to play at 6pm on the Sunday for some reason which I don't think is at the request of the clubs.
And some of the venue choices are strange. Asking Ballymote to go to Enniscrone to play Castleconnor is strangest of all when Tourlestrane or Cloonacool would have been much more appropriate.
Enniscrone and Johns hitting for Cloonacool seems a funny call too. Surely could have worked it in Collooney or somewhere. Molaise and Sham Gaels being brought up to Tubber, Marys having to drive through Tubbercurry to play Tubber in Curry. I know we all like a whinge and a moan a bit too much maybe but they are strange calls.

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 56 - 18/07/2019 08:58:34    2212626

Link

Players don't seem to mind the venue's but they have a huge issue with games on a Sunday evening at 6. When game is over they might have to head for Limerick, Dublin, Cork and all buses and trains are gone.... This has been brought up at the last 2 conventions . As for having double headers, it's all down to finance. More money for the coffers. You also need a warm up pitch if you are having double headers. Can't expect spectators to go to a game at 2 which is over at 3.20 and second game not on till 4 cos the players rightly so need a full warm up. However there are pitches that can accommodate this. Tubber, Bunnyland, Collooney, . Pitches unsuitable are Tourlestrane, Ballymote etc etc

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 635 - 18/07/2019 09:42:16    2212649

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Players don't seem to mind the venue's but they have a huge issue with games on a Sunday evening at 6. When game is over they might have to head for Limerick, Dublin, Cork and all buses and trains are gone.... This has been brought up at the last 2 conventions . As for having double headers, it's all down to finance. More money for the coffers. You also need a warm up pitch if you are having double headers. Can't expect spectators to go to a game at 2 which is over at 3.20 and second game not on till 4 cos the players rightly so need a full warm up. However there are pitches that can accommodate this. Tubber, Bunnyland, Collooney, . Pitches unsuitable are Tourlestrane, Ballymote etc etc"
Exactly....Enniscrone and Castleconnor also good facilities for double headers

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 56 - 18/07/2019 12:39:28    2212730

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Players don't seem to mind the venue's but they have a huge issue with games on a Sunday evening at 6. When game is over they might have to head for Limerick, Dublin, Cork and all buses and trains are gone.... This has been brought up at the last 2 conventions . As for having double headers, it's all down to finance. More money for the coffers. You also need a warm up pitch if you are having double headers. Can't expect spectators to go to a game at 2 which is over at 3.20 and second game not on till 4 cos the players rightly so need a full warm up. However there are pitches that can accommodate this. Tubber, Bunnyland, Collooney, . Pitches unsuitable are Tourlestrane, Ballymote etc etc"
Ballymote has a pitch for warming up on as well.

ChasingShadows (Sligo) - Posts: 38 - 18/07/2019 21:56:49    2212952

Link

Congrats to Tourlestrane on claiming their fifth league title in a row and their ninth in the past eleven years. Some record for a small rural club that seldom wins underage titles but have a seamless belt of underage talent which blooms at senior level

leyny (Sligo) - Posts: 22 - 21/07/2019 20:12:51    2214231

Link

Replying To westsligoawakes:  "You really have to wonder who makes these calls. We will be in the last week in July and not a single double header? Curry and Easkey have been asked to play at 6pm on the Sunday for some reason which I don't think is at the request of the clubs.
And some of the venue choices are strange. Asking Ballymote to go to Enniscrone to play Castleconnor is strangest of all when Tourlestrane or Cloonacool would have been much more appropriate.
Enniscrone and Johns hitting for Cloonacool seems a funny call too. Surely could have worked it in Collooney or somewhere. Molaise and Sham Gaels being brought up to Tubber, Marys having to drive through Tubbercurry to play Tubber in Curry. I know we all like a whinge and a moan a bit too much maybe but they are strange calls."
What happened to the days of using Kent Park, Ballymote and even Coola as venues for championship? If your faced with a 50 mile round journey for a stand alone fixture that clashes with the hurling semifinal or other sporting events it doesn't take a genius to know why no crowds turn up at club games.

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 11 - 24/07/2019 10:31:25    2215633

Link

Replying To Sligoman1234:  "What happened to the days of using Kent Park, Ballymote and even Coola as venues for championship? If your faced with a 50 mile round journey for a stand alone fixture that clashes with the hurling semifinal or other sporting events it doesn't take a genius to know why no crowds turn up at club games."
Coola is going to be used the following weekend as is Keash so every club is getting a slice of action it seems for the round robin stages

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 635 - 24/07/2019 14:43:02    2215781

Link

Good to see the spread of clubs getting games (not that it will make the clubs rich) however I'd wager when the business end of championship begins we will see a host of games in a hilly cabbage patch community field in south sligo

leyny (Sligo) - Posts: 22 - 24/07/2019 17:02:16    2215857

Link

Good to see the spread of clubs getting games (not that it will make the clubs rich) however I'd wager when the business end of championship begins we will see a host of games in a hilly cabbage patch community field in south sligo

leyny (Sligo) - Posts: 22 - 24/07/2019 17:02:52    2215858

Link

With my club not in action I attended the SG v SMG match. What was a somber enough first half with neither team giving an inch, SG took a deserved slender lead into the the half time dressing room. In the second half SG opened up and their youthful team destroyed a SMG team who looked shell shocked. Surely after the second half performance SG will fancy themselves against any opposition that come their way if they again play this style of running football. That said SMG were poor and it appears W Gormley has a big job on his hands in a difficult group. Else where well done to Calry who caused an upset against a usually consistent championship team in Coolera. Geevagh won handy as expected against a St Pats team really struggling for form after their recent relegation to league division 3. Ballymote & Castleconnor drew in the way out west venue of enniscrone - while a good facility, who chooses these venues?? From speaking with the Ballymote lads they feel hard done by and played 45 minutes with 14 players (after a harsh sending off) opening up a 5 point lead in the closing stages. Ballymote had a number of absentees and will surely see it as a point gained.

Bloodsub6 (Sligo) - Posts: 5 - 28/07/2019 06:28:06    2217395

Link

Two shocks in group 2 at senior level. Anyone at the games with reports?

downsouth18 (Sligo) - Posts: 5 - 29/07/2019 09:18:53    2217980

Link

TUBBER look set to revenge last years final disappointment with a comprehensive victory over a poor St Mary's where only a few players battled hard namely Nicholson, OKelly x 2, the ageless duo of Johnny Martin and Johnny Lynch plus Stephen Coen added a bit of skill with his introduction in the second half. I would question whether their homeward bound US stars will add greatly to the mix as they are forwards and it is in defence they require the most help.
TUBBER on the other hand had to field without a number of injured players but where able to get the most out of their squad with the middle field duo of Gilmartin and a young Niall Murphy totally dominating midfield in the first half where they led 1.9 to a paltry 3 pats. D Walsh caused havoc at FF scoring a goal and 2 points and C Ryan acting in a forward role chipping in with a few well crafted scores.

No surprise TUBBER took the foot of the pedal in second half but they maybe a little concerned when Mary's took control of midfield and clawed their way back particularly through Coen and interesting when the impressive B Curran had to retire early through injury.

Nonetheless C McGee's outfit look serious contenders for the championship and are possibly the only real team to challenge Tour as I feel S Gaels are very young and are still learning whilst the only other contenders are the proverbial chokers St Molaise, Coolera, and Coolaney Mullinabreena who have promised so much over the past few years but have failed to deliver on each occasion.

leyny (Sligo) - Posts: 22 - 29/07/2019 21:04:03    2218472

Link

Replying To leyny:  "TUBBER look set to revenge last years final disappointment with a comprehensive victory over a poor St Mary's where only a few players battled hard namely Nicholson, OKelly x 2, the ageless duo of Johnny Martin and Johnny Lynch plus Stephen Coen added a bit of skill with his introduction in the second half. I would question whether their homeward bound US stars will add greatly to the mix as they are forwards and it is in defence they require the most help.
TUBBER on the other hand had to field without a number of injured players but where able to get the most out of their squad with the middle field duo of Gilmartin and a young Niall Murphy totally dominating midfield in the first half where they led 1.9 to a paltry 3 pats. D Walsh caused havoc at FF scoring a goal and 2 points and C Ryan acting in a forward role chipping in with a few well crafted scores.

No surprise TUBBER took the foot of the pedal in second half but they maybe a little concerned when Mary's took control of midfield and clawed their way back particularly through Coen and interesting when the impressive B Curran had to retire early through injury.

Nonetheless C McGee's outfit look serious contenders for the championship and are possibly the only real team to challenge Tour as I feel S Gaels are very young and are still learning whilst the only other contenders are the proverbial chokers St Molaise, Coolera, and Coolaney Mullinabreena who have promised so much over the past few years but have failed to deliver on each occasion."
Be careful, I went for Tubbercurry at the start of last year and they were embarrassing in the Co Final. I will never trust them again

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 635 - 29/07/2019 21:37:54    2218487

Link

A couple of shocks last weekend, huge wins for Calry, DRP & SG respectively. SG and Calry both seem energised by their league exploits and it will be interesting to see how they progress, I tip SG to make it to the semi final stage and Calry to comfortably avoid relegation. Wasn't at the game but heard they are playing cummins and Griffin inside on a rotational basis, 2 very good ball winners and accurate players that will give any fb line in the county a headache, young McGovern also done a good marking on Murphy, Coolera could be in trouble as could Molaise who have been awful unlucky with injuries both their captain and vice doing their ACL. No surprise with Tubbers win over Marys, who have some of their sharpshooters away and still on reliant on the old dogs. A couple of shocks also in the Intermediate, a great draw for B'mote it shows how important momentum is but they will be disappointed not have won the game, big win for Enniscrone also coming from behind to beat a shell shocked johns, I thought Easky would have given curry a better game.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 186 - 30/07/2019 11:36:50    2218675

Link

Heard Murphy for st John's shouldered Barry judge after the game for been sent off during the game ,I'f he did his summer is over

Timmy86 (Sligo) - Posts: 80 - 30/07/2019 13:35:35    2218729

Link