Wicklow Forum

Fixtures For 2019

(Oldest Posts First)

It's a very interesting read in this weeks Wicklow People of the arguments surrounding the club dual player and dual clubs within the county. IMO the county board are doing very little for the dual player and club, I can understand the Football only clubs looking for more games but in the example of Carnew and Eire Og there is players playing something like 20 games in 18 weeks... that's before championship even starts and not including league play offs or finals... surely something can be done to accommodate these clubs. Was there really a need to put an extra round of league games in the Football as this is just suiting the big football clubs who couldn't care less about hurling

brollyboy (Wicklow) - Posts: 117 - 24/01/2019 15:59:49    2159315

Link

Replying To brollyboy:  "It's a very interesting read in this weeks Wicklow People of the arguments surrounding the club dual player and dual clubs within the county. IMO the county board are doing very little for the dual player and club, I can understand the Football only clubs looking for more games but in the example of Carnew and Eire Og there is players playing something like 20 games in 18 weeks... that's before championship even starts and not including league play offs or finals... surely something can be done to accommodate these clubs. Was there really a need to put an extra round of league games in the Football as this is just suiting the big football clubs who couldn't care less about hurling"
I think whatever you do someone will not be happy, if we give these lads 30 weeks to potentially play both codes when will the championship start and finish? I think if you ask any player that is the last thing that any of them want. from the county wide fixtures meeting all players and clubs were invited to go to it would seem that the majority of players don't want this, and also don't want to be held ransom to being held up badly by 2-3 dual clubs.

I don't think an extra round of league games would be the issues, its only 14 games at Div 1 level, what do you do have 7 games of league and then championship? the bigger problem is the farce of a hurling championship where pretty much all the teams play each other and then they still all basically get into 1/4 finals anyway.....

I think most teams would agree that the league ran very well last year (Talking about the top 3 divisions) as it was ran off before chamoionshop and the games were very competitive and meaning full. Do we suit 2 dual clubs to the downfall of 25 odd other clubs and their members?

Would love to hear what you think the county board could do to help?

wicklowmad (Wicklow) - Posts: 61 - 24/01/2019 23:06:42    2159374

Link

Replying To wicklowmad:  "I think whatever you do someone will not be happy, if we give these lads 30 weeks to potentially play both codes when will the championship start and finish? I think if you ask any player that is the last thing that any of them want. from the county wide fixtures meeting all players and clubs were invited to go to it would seem that the majority of players don't want this, and also don't want to be held ransom to being held up badly by 2-3 dual clubs.

I don't think an extra round of league games would be the issues, its only 14 games at Div 1 level, what do you do have 7 games of league and then championship? the bigger problem is the farce of a hurling championship where pretty much all the teams play each other and then they still all basically get into 1/4 finals anyway.....

I think most teams would agree that the league ran very well last year (Talking about the top 3 divisions) as it was ran off before chamoionshop and the games were very competitive and meaning full. Do we suit 2 dual clubs to the downfall of 25 odd other clubs and their members?

Would love to hear what you think the county board could do to help?"
Are kiltegan bray avondale not dual clubs and glenealy ratnew dual prayers at least half the clubs have dual player's

hairyfoot (Wicklow) - Posts: 96 - 25/01/2019 18:54:06    2159538

Link

Replying To hairyfoot:  "Are kiltegan bray avondale not dual clubs and glenealy ratnew dual prayers at least half the clubs have dual player's"
Well the report on the Paper said no other club had an issue with the fixtures bar carnew.......

wicklowmad (Wicklow) - Posts: 61 - 25/01/2019 22:32:54    2159585

Link

Replying To hairyfoot:  "Are kiltegan bray avondale not dual clubs and glenealy ratnew dual prayers at least half the clubs have dual player's"
Pats, Carnew, Glenealy/Rathnew, Avondale, Kiltegan, Bray, Eire Og. A fair number there. In fact, all the Senior Hurling clubs ?? Methinks Hairyfoot is a football only man.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 64 - 25/01/2019 22:33:10    2159586

Link