Carlow Forum

Footballers 2019 Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To hogg:  "If they can still go back that's fine.you sure they can.?"
Well DRA are final arbiters and they've asked CAC to take a fresh look at certain aspects. Whatever the CAC decide on that has to then be appealable back to DRA as it's a new decision of CAC.

Bottom line here seems to me to be the CAC have been told they didn't do their job fully/properly. That would allow DRA to throw out the suspensions but to save the CAC the embarrassment they're letting them look again i.e. make a different decision. This has to be positive sign.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1158 - 16/05/2019 10:58:44    2184515

Link

Pity to see some knocking the management team given the progress they made with a squad who were far from setting the world alight a few years ago. We were beginning to compete playing a style that suits our resources. Not pretty to look at but better than the hammerings being handed out over the decades.

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 454 - 17/05/2019 18:28:52    2185024

Link

Replying To Bainisteoir:  "Pity to see some knocking the management team given the progress they made with a squad who were far from setting the world alight a few years ago. We were beginning to compete playing a style that suits our resources. Not pretty to look at but better than the hammerings being handed out over the decades."
Looking back on the past few years and looking forward to the championship match v Meath next week in Portlaosie- it is clear that our onfield discipline has been excellent by the players. This has shown a steady improvement in my opinion in the last few years. The players train hard and have ensured that the team mantra of playing to the system has been maintained. Whether you like it or not that is to be admired. The players have bought into that system and it has yielded results - ie good championship run last year and have gotten out of Div 4 and many would argue unlucky to not stay up in Div 3. All that is to be admired. It is a pity that our management have not shown the same discipline. If that is knocking management - then so be it. But in fairness that is the reality.
The job of management is to oversee the progress of the team as a whole... management has not shown itself to have the discipline that ordinarily is expected by the GAA and its patrons.
To me that is the reality.
If any team management that we meet in the upcoming championship behaves in the same way that our management behaved in the Down match- wow - how would we respond... how would we comment afterwards...
So for me that is not knocking management- it is not knocking the team- it is stating facts and as A Carlow fan I am not one bit happy that Carlow fans saw what they did after that Down match. The GAA has a Give respect get Respect initiative for many years aimed particularly at parents and players at games and we have had our management behave as they did... no sorry, unacceptable behaviour and very hard to justify the behaviour on view that night.
I will be there in Portlaoise next week and I will be shouting for the team and I expect the team to perform well. I think they are excellent footballers but I hope that they system used will put us in a chance of winning the game. That is what we want. The problem for us in my opinion is that Laois have shown how we can be beaten and I expect it to be more difficult for the team this year. But hope springs eternal !

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1491 - 18/05/2019 19:04:42    2185281

Link

Strictly speaking, there aren't many good stories in Football anymore. Carlow over the last few years have been a great story, the neutrals love them. Last years victories over Louth/Kildare were genuinely a shot in the arm for the game and the ability of smaller counties to compete. In saying that Carlow have an opportunity vs. Meath in a week's time. If they can achieve superiority or even parity around midfield as Offaly did, and frustrate Meath's running game, and feed off a largely positive crowd as it will be, Meath could and likely will wobble, the result will be dependent on many variables. Lets hope for a decent match in any case!

Young_gael (Meath) - Posts: 186 - 18/05/2019 19:56:45    2185295

Link

Replying To Young_gael:  "Strictly speaking, there aren't many good stories in Football anymore. Carlow over the last few years have been a great story, the neutrals love them. Last years victories over Louth/Kildare were genuinely a shot in the arm for the game and the ability of smaller counties to compete. In saying that Carlow have an opportunity vs. Meath in a week's time. If they can achieve superiority or even parity around midfield as Offaly did, and frustrate Meath's running game, and feed off a largely positive crowd as it will be, Meath could and likely will wobble, the result will be dependent on many variables. Lets hope for a decent match in any case!"
Thanks YG. I don't think we will be able for your running game if ye bring it.hope I'm wrong mind you.if we get b.murphy back then we can compete if not I worry. But hope springs eternal. Meath will be wary after Offaly game So odds are stacked.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 307 - 18/05/2019 23:15:43    2185357

Link

Massive match for the lads against a resurgent Meath team. Having that match v Offaly is a help to Meath. Have heard that our lads are training well and confidence is again good which augurs well. If Brendan is available then it will be a huge help.
A big pitch in O'Moore Park and this should hopefully help an open match. Looking forward to the match and seeing the Dubs is a bonus.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1491 - 19/05/2019 11:42:11    2185443

Link

Bad news re the bans, seems they have been upheld so we won't have Brendan Murphy for Saturday. Huge loss.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1102 - 21/05/2019 12:37:57    2186266

Link

Replying To The Real 1944:  "Bad news re the bans, seems they have been upheld so we won't have Brendan Murphy for Saturday. Huge loss."
That is a serious loss. Brendan really gave a huge amount to the team this year. A huge personal loss for him. Bad news.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1491 - 21/05/2019 19:17:10    2186399

Link

Replying To The Real 1944:  "Bad news re the bans, seems they have been upheld so we won't have Brendan Murphy for Saturday. Huge loss."
According to onion breath this decision can be referred back to DRA.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 307 - 21/05/2019 21:00:37    2186434

Link

Replying To hogg:  "According to onion breath this decision can be referred back to DRA."
Is that the summer over for all 3 or will Brendan and poachers ban be over by first or second round of the qualifiers

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 145 - 22/05/2019 09:57:27    2186534

Link

Replying To dcarlowman:  "Is that the summer over for all 3 or will Brendan and poachers ban be over by first or second round of the qualifiers"
dcarlowman,

The summer is only beginning!!!.
Brendan is out...the other 2 will be fine. Meath won't have it easy against Carlow - does any team??.
Don't forget Brendan didn't play in the big games we won last year and the players will have no fear whatsoever of Meath and are relishing the challenge. Also we are probably one of the most physical teams in the country at the moment.
Expect huge Carlow support on Saturday (and hopefully the Dubs supporters will shout for us also)

Could be a great occasion.

Meath 0-13
Carlow 1-13

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 242 - 22/05/2019 10:20:26    2186544

Link

Replying To novalis:  "dcarlowman,

The summer is only beginning!!!.
Brendan is out...the other 2 will be fine. Meath won't have it easy against Carlow - does any team??.
Don't forget Brendan didn't play in the big games we won last year and the players will have no fear whatsoever of Meath and are relishing the challenge. Also we are probably one of the most physical teams in the country at the moment.
Expect huge Carlow support on Saturday (and hopefully the Dubs supporters will shout for us also)

Could be a great occasion.

Meath 0-13
Carlow 1-13"
Is the summer over for the 3 involved is what i asked. I certainly am not writing off the summer for Carlow, I wouldn't be surprised if Carlow beat Meath providing things go our way and we start well.

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 145 - 22/05/2019 11:43:52    2186575

Link

Replying To dcarlowman:  "Is that the summer over for all 3 or will Brendan and poachers ban be over by first or second round of the qualifiers"
Unfortunately brendans suspension won't be up til 15th June..1st round on 8th afaik.So solve a lot of problems if we could win on Saturday ;-)

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 307 - 22/05/2019 12:05:15    2186581

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "Looking back on the past few years and looking forward to the championship match v Meath next week in Portlaosie- it is clear that our onfield discipline has been excellent by the players. This has shown a steady improvement in my opinion in the last few years. The players train hard and have ensured that the team mantra of playing to the system has been maintained. Whether you like it or not that is to be admired. The players have bought into that system and it has yielded results - ie good championship run last year and have gotten out of Div 4 and many would argue unlucky to not stay up in Div 3. All that is to be admired. It is a pity that our management have not shown the same discipline. If that is knocking management - then so be it. But in fairness that is the reality.
The job of management is to oversee the progress of the team as a whole... management has not shown itself to have the discipline that ordinarily is expected by the GAA and its patrons.
To me that is the reality.
If any team management that we meet in the upcoming championship behaves in the same way that our management behaved in the Down match- wow - how would we respond... how would we comment afterwards...
So for me that is not knocking management- it is not knocking the team- it is stating facts and as A Carlow fan I am not one bit happy that Carlow fans saw what they did after that Down match. The GAA has a Give respect get Respect initiative for many years aimed particularly at parents and players at games and we have had our management behave as they did... no sorry, unacceptable behaviour and very hard to justify the behaviour on view that night.
I will be there in Portlaoise next week and I will be shouting for the team and I expect the team to perform well. I think they are excellent footballers but I hope that they system used will put us in a chance of winning the game. That is what we want. The problem for us in my opinion is that Laois have shown how we can be beaten and I expect it to be more difficult for the team this year. But hope springs eternal !"
Carlowman, my final word on this debacle is, for justice to be done, justice must be be seen to be done, with the gaa, justice at times seem to be a one way street, my thoughts go back about 20 years when we played Westmeath in the LSFC in DCP, in that game we were treated as quiney pigs at the introduction of the yellow card system, coincidently that game was refereed by a cork man, he dished out cards yellow and red to beat the band, we were left bewildered, we had to take what was dished out even though we were never briefed beforehand, where was the justice there, after serious post deliberations and meetings a rematch was to be arranged but never happened.

Fast forward on to the 2010 LSF final between Meath and Louth, the nation was promised in the after math of that game that they would do all in their powers to see there would be no controversial endings similar to that game again, promises and more promises.

The similarity between the Carlow / Down game, the Carlow / Westmeath game, and the Meath / Louth game is, for the entirety of the three games all players and management behaved in admirable fashion, so in my opinion at this point I believe there is plenty of room for mitigating factors, absolutely.
Because the suspensions are highly likely to stand, so in my opinion and after studying carefully yours, I think Turlough O'Brien and Stephen Poucher should vacate their position and step aside ASAP indefinitely as oppose to resigning, let the powers that be through time decide their fate. Brendan Murphy should take the rest of the year out to decide on his own future, at least he is in control of that. You seem to be pointing the finger of blame towards TO'B and SP no mention of BM even though he got the same 3 months as SP got. Where as I'm not pointing the finger at any of them.
For justice to be done, justice must be seen to be done.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1949 - 22/05/2019 17:36:32    2186684

Link

Is there any stand tickets goin on sale or is the stand for dubs only

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 145 - 23/05/2019 12:27:07    2186848

Link

Replying To dcarlowman:  "Is there any stand tickets goin on sale or is the stand for dubs only"
All the Dubs season ticket holders will have first choice of stand tickets.
Just on this whole debacle involving TO'B and Poacher just watch the behaviour of the Dubs management team and see how a manager should act. I have no love for the Dubs but their management team are as professional as you will get.

Poacher has a lot to answer for as regards bad discipline with his carry-on at games this year. He is basically inciting violence at most games and his despicable actions towards the Laois manager at the end of the last league game in O'Moore park shows what he is made of. TO'B has to also take responsibility for this behaviour as he was the man who brought him in.

I would also take the view that both of them should step aside in the interests of Carlow football as all this will come back to haunt them if they don't go.

Lobo (Laois) - Posts: 257 - 23/05/2019 20:25:58    2186985

Link

Replying To Lobo:  "All the Dubs season ticket holders will have first choice of stand tickets.
Just on this whole debacle involving TO'B and Poacher just watch the behaviour of the Dubs management team and see how a manager should act. I have no love for the Dubs but their management team are as professional as you will get.

Poacher has a lot to answer for as regards bad discipline with his carry-on at games this year. He is basically inciting violence at most games and his despicable actions towards the Laois manager at the end of the last league game in O'Moore park shows what he is made of. TO'B has to also take responsibility for this behaviour as he was the man who brought him in.

I would also take the view that both of them should step aside in the interests of Carlow football as all this will come back to haunt them if they don't go."
Like like Laois people, you no doubt have Carlow's best interests at heart...

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 280 - 23/05/2019 20:53:59    2186989

Link

Replying To Lobo:  "All the Dubs season ticket holders will have first choice of stand tickets.

I would also take the view that both of them should step aside in the interests of Carlow football as all this will come back to haunt them if they don't go."
poachers carry on at games this year? Out of interest how many Carlow games have you been at this year?

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 145 - 23/05/2019 22:42:10    2187014

Link

Very Very quiet in the Carlow Camp - I like that a lot!!!

Meath beware!!!

fullbach (Carlow) - Posts: 238 - 24/05/2019 09:31:31    2187053

Link

Replying To dcarlowman:  "poachers carry on at games this year? Out of interest how many Carlow games have you been at this year?"
Don't even begin to talk to that lad. If anyone was in the stand in portlaoise you would have seen what went on after the game and Mr sugrue was the aggressor. Laois would love if the lads left our team. Their Noisy neighbors would be back in their box

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 24/05/2019 11:32:06    2187075

Link