Carlow Forum

Footballers 2019 Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To CARPS:  "I don't think Turlough will go anywhere... this is the only job he wants."
I agree he won't go to another county but I think he will see aside eventually. I would not discount someone from present squad being draft in to shadow and eventually take over.

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 410 - 28/03/2019 07:39:32    2175944

Link

Replying To Blackbog:  "1, I was on the terrace side on Sunday and the majority on there were Carlow - I have being ot a lot of Carlow games and I thought the travelling support was sizable - the roar when we scored the goal was significant
2. That tactic of Poacher on the pitch worked against Kildare - not sure how effective it is now
3. Hard to answer that question when we never use many subs - we have a stronger bench than most think

4. Laois play to there strenghts . Ie Donie Kingston and negating Choo Choo. they are ahead of us in most departments
5. I think the team will give the championship a good crack - we could well shock Meath and even if we dont i could see another good run this year .
6. I think Turlough and Poacher will go after championship but not without future proofing the gains made. A number of players will not be around next year but most will stay on . I think we will stroll Div 4 next year

We are an amazing Gaa County for our size and resources - we need to continue to learn to believe"
I think we will get promoted back up next year but to say it will be a stroll is a bit much. Every team that we play will want to tear into us. I reckon every team we line out against in the league will treat it as a championship match as Carlow have been given a lot of publicity in recent times and they will want to put one over on Carlow. However, as I said I do believe that we will get promoted, but it won't be easy as you think.

GAA_WayOfLife (Carlow) - Posts: 45 - 28/03/2019 12:39:01    2176000

Link

As we can see from our time in Division 3 - there is very little difference in standards between Div 4 and bottom half of Div 2. So all games in Div 4 will be difficult again next year.

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 242 - 28/03/2019 12:49:45    2176002

Link

Replying To novalis:  "As we can see from our time in Division 3 - there is very little difference in standards between Div 4 and bottom half of Div 2. So all games in Div 4 will be difficult again next year."
cannot see how Div 4 and Div are similar level.
We won 6 games last year and 2 this year.
Yes we had injuries and lack of discipline increased but I still think Div 3 is a few notches up from the 6 teams who remained in Div 4.
I would go as far as to say Carlow and Sligo will make a swift return if they keep personnel and drive.

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 410 - 28/03/2019 13:22:20    2176009

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "I travelled to Portlaoise on Sunday and a few points I would like to make...where was the fans from Carlow ? Very few from Carlow there on Sunday despite improved performances in later games and a big effort to try to motivate fans to travel.
Do we need our maor foirne on the pitch as much ?
Have we subs to come in that can make a difference?
Did Laois again know how to combat our tactics?
Have we learned and adapted enough to make a charge in the championship?
Will any players retire this year ?
Should the management retire after this year ...does the team need a new voice and direction ?"
I thought there was a decent crowd at it, it could be that the fact we had a round of league games that evening had an impact on attendance. I'm not sure it was about laois adapting to us, I'd say they implemented their plan more effectively than us on the day. As for management changes, I doubt anyone would begrudge the current management another go at it we were in with a shout of promotion with two games to go so you can't say it was a bad league. Now if we were to fail in the championship and qualifiers then maybe that would be a sign, but I'd be hesitant to change anything

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1252 - 28/03/2019 13:24:22    2176010

Link

Agree about not changing management. But they need to change by introducing more players and not this constantly relying on same fifteen.its patently not working anymore. BTW I think poacher will go after championship unfortunately.

hogg (Carlow) - Posts: 308 - 28/03/2019 17:53:03    2176064

Link

I've been keeping an eye on Carlow since Louth defeat down there. I think that to rob a phrase, Carlow are a "1 trick pony" and even Carlow supporters seem to be calling it out.

• Maor Foirne on pitch constantly for disruption of play
• Players going down/diving with minimal contact
• No strength in depth/belief in bench
• Plan A is 15 behind ball and counter attack
• Plan B is 15 behind ball and counter attack

ged (Louth) - Posts: 291 - 28/03/2019 20:09:26    2176080

Link

A couple of pointers, - In 3 years T O'Brien , Steven Poacher and their backroom team achieved more for Carlow football than anyone else did in 33 years.
As for Maor Foirne on pitch constantly for disruption of play, well the way I see it is he obviously wasn't breaking any rules, if he was he would have been RED carded and sent to the stand so that's that.
Players going down/diving with minimal contact. ?? - By who's definition.??
No strength in depth/belief in bench.?? - That's debateable, till the cow's come home.
Plan A is 15 behind ball and counter attack.?? An exaggeration imo.
Plan A is 15 behind ball and counter attack ?? IMO an exaggeration.

Carlow 1-10 Louth 0-12, just one example of the "1 trick pony" getting a standing ovation., and there were others.
Should Turlough O'Brien step down at the end of the season.? Well imo, it's entirely up to himself, because he achieved so much in such a short length of time I think he should stay for one more season and take it from there. If he could get Carlow back to div. 3 it would simply be a master stroke, simply because it's not going to be the walk in the park that some people think.
Good luck to him either way.
PS. - Yes, TO'B did have a fault, that was taking St. Ledger out of his customary CB position and siting

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1949 - 29/03/2019 10:42:59    2176158

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "A couple of pointers, - In 3 years T O'Brien , Steven Poacher and their backroom team achieved more for Carlow football than anyone else did in 33 years.
As for Maor Foirne on pitch constantly for disruption of play, well the way I see it is he obviously wasn't breaking any rules, if he was he would have been RED carded and sent to the stand so that's that.
No strength in depth/belief in bench.?? - That's debateable, till the cow's come home.

Carlow 1-10 Louth 0-12, just one example of the "1 trick pony" getting a standing ovation., and there were others.
Should Turlough O'Brien step down at the end of the season.? Well imo, it's entirely up to himself, because he achieved so much in such a short length of time I think he should stay for one more season and take it from there. If he could get Carlow back to div. 3 it would simply be a master stroke, simply because it's not going to be the walk in the park that some people think.
PS. - Yes, TO'B did have a fault, that was taking St. Ledger out of his customary CB position and siting"
Firstly I stated on a previous post that I was hoping for Carlow would stay up as it took so long to get out of D4. In saying that I can see ur back up next year.
The points in my previous post regarding diving/going down with minimal contact- I was behind Carlow subs and that's what they were shouting to team mates, also Carlow poster also referred to it. Also video on line of diving by Carlow player at final whistle against Down.
Maor Foirne was also an observation and also was mentioned by a Carlow poster.
Strength in depth/belief in panel- a Carlow poster mentioned reluctance to use subs. Most teams play 21 in every game.
As for 15 behind and counter attack, simple fact that has been commented on by many more qualified than me about Carlow. Another poster commented that Carlow were 3 points down in last game with 5 mins left and 15 behind the ball.
I'm not trying to argue here, just explaining where my point came from.
Donegal started this whole blanket/counter malarkey. Initially it was hit or miss but with fine tuning and a plan B such as leaving a couple of forwards up from time to time, they became a potent force. Carlow from what I saw and read don't have a plan B and that's IMO why you are back to D4.
Good luck for the Championship

ged (Louth) - Posts: 291 - 29/03/2019 12:21:31    2176195

Link

Replying To ged:  "
Replying To supersub15:  "A couple of pointers, - In 3 years T O'Brien , Steven Poacher and their backroom team achieved more for Carlow football than anyone else did in 33 years.

PS. - Yes, TO'B did have a fault, that was taking St. Ledger out of his customary CB position and siting"
Firstly I stated on a previous post that I was hoping for Carlow would stay up as it took so long to get out of D4. In saying that I can see ur back up next year.
The points in my previous post regarding diving/going down with minimal contact- I was behind Carlow subs and that's what they were shouting to team mates, also Carlow poster also referred to it. Also video on line of diving by Carlow player at final whistle against Down.
Strength in depth/belief in panel- a Carlow poster mentioned reluctance to use subs. Most teams play 21 in every game.
As for 15 behind and counter attack, simple fact that has been commented on by many more qualified than me about Carlow. Another poster commented that Carlow were 3 points down in last game with 5 mins left and 15 behind the ball.
Donegal started this whole blanket/counter malarkey. Initially it was hit or miss but with fine tuning and a plan B such as leaving a couple of forwards up from time to time, they became a potent force. Carlow from what I saw and read don't have a plan B and that's IMO why you are back to D4.
Good luck for the Championship"
I think there is a lot of truth in your views.
The maor foirne is 'living' on the field and at this stage I ask what is the value of this constant and it is constant running on to the field. Surely all the preparation for the players has been done beforehand? Watching from the stand in O'Moore Park- his presence is a bone of contention at this stage with opposition fans also. Whether it is within the rules or not - for me it makes little of the players to see the mentor constantly running on to the field giving whatever he gives to the players.
Many have asked about the number of players being used in games. With the exception of Lee Walker - very few have been given a chance. It does seem that we don't have the players in our squad that are deemed capable of doing the job required to make that difference that could swing a match. That is a call I would expect management to make and it is their call and so far - not too many players used. So - we don't have the talent at the moment in the extended panel.
I think also that there has been very little change in the style of play- and I can see clearly why people call us a 'one trick pony'. We have not really changed our game plan. The moving of Jordan Morrissey is just bringing him closer to the opposition goals from where he was at half back. Ciaran Moran is still running from half back and the expectation is that they will run at the opposition. Both players are expected to run at the opposition - and presumably to either score or be fouled and then we expect Paul Broderick to score! That seems to be the main tactic. Sean Gannon is also expected to run with the ball into the opposition. Hardly any long ball has been kicked in- and this makes us very easy to counter and Laois made it look easy against us last Sunday.
It is a huge blow to not stay in Div 3. There is no other way of looking at it- especially when it took a lifetime almost to get out of Div 4. I am not so assured that we will get up as easy as some think.
Again - if we don't change our tactics I don't think we will get out. Donegal have taken the blame for starting the 15 behind the ball but most counties have now changes and are far more attack oriented. I believe the players are there to change the system and give ourselves a better chance of getting up to Div 3 at the first attempt but a change of tactics is needed.
Perhaps a change of coach is also now needed.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1491 - 29/03/2019 19:08:48    2176279

Link

Replying To ged:  "

It's reasonable to think that most neutral sport's minded people were of the same thinking as yourself, hoping that we would stay up for the same reason as in your own thinking. Div. 4 next season is, and will be a totally different ball game.

I was at 4 out of the 7 games including the Louth game and I can honestly say I only saw 2 questionable examples of this so called diving, on the other hand if you take Brendan Murphy, Sean Murphy or Daniel St. Ledger no one can ever accuse them of diving, simply because (a) they don't do it and (c) because of their physique, by the same token lighter players can appear to "dive" shall we say, that's because, imo, they are in full flight they have a lesser physique and are trying to avoid a hard collision.

Also video on line of diving by Carlow player at final whistle against Down

I have to say I did not see that, but if it happened it happened, then again, it was at the final whistle, so what, game over it didn't affect the course of the game.

The observation in relation to Maor Foirne did not under any circumstances cause us to be relegated.

The call's that TO'B made in relation to the team selection were the best calls in his opinion to be made on the day.

Carlow were 3 points down in last game with 5 mins left and 15 behind the ball.

Explanations will no doubt vary from day to day.

Yes indeed, Donegal did start this whole blanket/counter malarkey, since then Fermanagh have almost perfected it, Kildare are trying their hand at it too, as for the Dub's, if they need to use it they will, with no apology.

Carlow from what I saw and read don't have a plan B and that's IMO why you are back to D4.

Again imo, what cost us a place in div.3 was the fear of going back down to div.4 plan B had little to do with it, simply fear of div.4

Good luck to the wee county in the championship.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1949 - 29/03/2019 20:12:42    2176287

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "
Replying To ged:  "[quote=supersub15:  "A couple of pointers, - In 3 years T O'Brien , Steven Poacher and their backroom team achieved more for Carlow football than anyone else did in 33 years.

It's reasonable to think that most neutral sport's minded people were of the same thinking as yourself, hoping that we would stay up for the same reason as in your own thinking. Div. 4 next season is, and will be a totally different ball game.

I was at 4 out of the 7 games including the Louth game and I can honestly say I only saw 2 questionable examples of this so called diving, on the other hand if you take Brendan Murphy, Sean Murphy or Daniel St. Ledger no one can ever accuse them of diving, simply because (a) they don't do it and (c) because of their physique, by the same token lighter players can appear to "dive" shall we say, that's because, imo, they are in full flight they have a lesser physique and are trying to avoid a hard collision.

I have to say I did not see that, but if it happened it happened, then again, it was at the final whistle, so what, game over it didn't affect the course of the game.

The observation in relation to Maor Foirne did not under any circumstances cause us to be relegated.

The call's that TO'B made in relation to the team selection were the best calls in his opinion to be made on the day.

Yes indeed, Donegal did start this whole blanket/counter malarkey, since then Fermanagh have almost perfected it, Kildare are trying their hand at it too, as for the Dub's, if they need to use it they will, with no apology.

Carlow from what I saw and read don't have a plan B and that's IMO why you are back to D4.

Again imo, what cost us a place in div.3 was the fear of going back down to div.4 plan B had little to do with it, simply fear of div.4

Good luck to the wee county in the championship."]supersub - I don't agree that fear was the key factor in us not staying in Div 3!

We did 'nt win enough games- we were close but just did not get over the line - I did not see any 'fear' affecting us v Laois or Down for eg. Our performance v Longford was really poor.
We leaked fairly easy goals and did not score enough of them ourselves. We are easy to read and I fear for the championship as I don't see any sign of any changes of moving forward in tactics with the players we have. In that sense I have a definite fear.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1491 - 30/03/2019 16:39:33    2176408

Link

laois have played Calow 4 times in the last 12 months and at no time did i ever feel that Carlow would beat Laois . Our first encounter in DCP gave ye there best chance as laois played most of the second half with 14 men to be fair the 4 games were close but after the first in DCP, Laois got to read Carlow and with was clear they did have the forwards to compete with Laois. You might get away with playing like that in D4 but in D3 where there is a difference in standards and while i agree ye got no real luck through out the season that,s the reason ye are back in D4. I think there is a good chance of coming back up as D4 is really weak next season as there will be no Derry, Westmeath or Laois as with previous seasons. Best of luck with the rest of the year but ye lads have to find 3 or 4 lads that can score.

Ger.say (Laois) - Posts: 130 - 30/03/2019 17:49:13    2176415

Link

Replying To Ger.say:  "laois have played Calow 4 times in the last 12 months and at no time did i ever feel that Carlow would beat Laois . Our first encounter in DCP gave ye there best chance as laois played most of the second half with 14 men to be fair the 4 games were close but after the first in DCP, Laois got to read Carlow and with was clear they did have the forwards to compete with Laois. You might get away with playing like that in D4 but in D3 where there is a difference in standards and while i agree ye got no real luck through out the season that,s the reason ye are back in D4. I think there is a good chance of coming back up as D4 is really weak next season as there will be no Derry, Westmeath or Laois as with previous seasons. Best of luck with the rest of the year but ye lads have to find 3 or 4 lads that can score."
Don't think anybody can disagree with that... we are totally reliant on Paul Broderick for scores... and the only fallback is Darragh Foley frees... we urgently need scoring forwards because we're carrying a few passengers up front...

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 280 - 30/03/2019 17:54:35    2176417

Link

Replying To Ger.say:  "laois have played Calow 4 times in the last 12 months and at no time did i ever feel that Carlow would beat Laois . Our first encounter in DCP gave ye there best chance as laois played most of the second half with 14 men to be fair the 4 games were close but after the first in DCP, Laois got to read Carlow and with was clear they did have the forwards to compete with Laois. You might get away with playing like that in D4 but in D3 where there is a difference in standards and while i agree ye got no real luck through out the season that,s the reason ye are back in D4. I think there is a good chance of coming back up as D4 is really weak next season as there will be no Derry, Westmeath or Laois as with previous seasons. Best of luck with the rest of the year but ye lads have to find 3 or 4 lads that can score."
No luck!!! One terrible and blatantly incorrect refereeing decision in the last play of a match has resulted in Westmeath being promoted and Carlow relegated.

In the Championship semi last year I thought if Carlow had scored one of the goal chances in the start of the second half it could have gotten very interesting. Also Timmons not getting a black card early on for the tackle on Morrissey was critical as he went on to have a stormer.

moll (Carlow) - Posts: 145 - 30/03/2019 18:58:34    2176428

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "
Replying To supersub15:  "[quote=ged:  "[quote=supersub15:  "A couple of pointers, - In 3 years T O'Brien , Steven Poacher and their backroom team achieved more for Carlow football than anyone else did in 33 years.

Good luck to the wee county in the championship."]supersub - I don't agree that fear was the key factor in us not staying in Div 3!

We did 'nt win enough games- we were close but just did not get over the line - I did not see any 'fear' affecting us v Laois or Down for eg. Our performance v Longford was really poor.
We leaked fairly easy goals and did not score enough of them ourselves. We are easy to read and I fear for the championship as I don't see any sign of any changes of moving forward in tactics with the players we have. In that sense I have a definite fear."]In defence of Carlow's performance in div.3, from their 7 games played they accrued a combined total of 7-60 that is (0-90) As opposed to 3-85 (0-94) from their 6 rival counties.

Overall Carlow do not have a lack in scoring forwards rather it's a lack of belief in whoever has the final chance of scoring and it doesn't have to be a forward. (going by the way today's game is played)

Michael Murphy got MOTM after scoring 0-07 (5f and 2m) does that mean Donegal need a scoring forward rather than a free taker.

St.Ledger is a natural defender, as in center back, not a makie up scoring forward.
In the LSFC Carlow play the winners of Offaly / Meath, if it's Offaly I'd be concerned, if it's Meath I'd worry a bit.

Worry / Fear, more or less the same thing.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1949 - 30/03/2019 22:55:07    2176537

Link

We will know this week regarding the outcome of proposed sanctions from actions after Down game.
Looks like Turlough is facing a lengthy ban from sideline and training.
WITH Poacher and Brendan in the fray also .

Maybe adversity will shake us up

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 410 - 01/04/2019 09:43:27    2176879

Link

Results from the hearings have just been announced. The following suspensions have been handed out:

Brendan- 12 weeks
Poacher - 12 weeks
Turlough - 20 weeks

hurlingguru (Carlow) - Posts: 1812 - 09/04/2019 15:54:52    2178239

Link

Replying To hurlingguru:  "Results from the hearings have just been announced. The following suspensions have been handed out:

Brendan- 12 weeks
Poacher - 12 weeks
Turlough - 20 weeks"
Very very harsh.
Basically management team gone for championship.

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 410 - 09/04/2019 17:13:25    2178252

Link

Replying To Blackbog:  "Very very harsh.
Basically management team gone for championship."
It's my firm belief that should the suspensions stand, then management team will be gone forever.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1949 - 09/04/2019 18:27:55    2178264

Link