Leitrim Forum

Division 4 - National League

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Ok. This is the state of play for Leitrim.

Derry and Leitrim are on 8 points.
Limerick and Wicklow are on 4 points.

There are 6 points left to play for.

If 2 teams finish level on points, it's head to head counted.
However, if MORE than 2 teams finish level on points, scoring difference is the decider.

--------------------

Here are the scenarios.

Leitrim straight up win at least 2 of their last 3 games, they are promoted with 12 points. Neither Limerick or Wicklow can watch them, with a maximum possibility of 10 for them.

Leitrim win 1, but lose 2 of their last 3 games.

Both Limerick AND Wicklow MUST win ALL their last 3 games, for the 3 teams to finish on 10 points.
This is because Leitrim have a better head to head against each of these individually, and a tie on points between the 3 is their only chance.

Scoring difference is the decider in this case.
Limerick would need a swing on +19 against Leitrim over these games (including a game for them v Derry) against Leitrim's scoring.

Wicklow would need a swing of +23 against Leitrim's scoring, + whatever Limerick's scoring is.
If either Limerick or Wicklow lose any of their matches in this case (1 Leitrim victory from 3), Leitrim are promoted.

3. Leitrim lose their 3 games. Limerick or Wicklow must win their last 3 to gain promotion.

So where to we stand next weekend?
Simple as this.
If Derry beat Limerick on Saturday (or, in the unlikely event Wexford beat Wicklow), a Leitrim victory over London on Sunday (or any of the remaining games) puts Leitrim in the league final and promoted.

There are other scenarios because the current top 3 still have games against each other. (Derry v Limerick, and Derry v Leitrim).
But above are the easiest scenarios to follow for this weekend.

ABhoysVoice (Leitrim) - Posts: 4 - 25/02/2019 15:29:34    2168038

Link

Keith who????

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 429 - 25/02/2019 15:44:20    2168044

Link

Another great win although it was a hard watch in the last 10 minutes the winning point was a screamer!!
A few observations I have from the game; Shane Moran needs to work on his tackling as he is gifting teams frees and he is so slow to move the ball, when we move the ball fast we are dangerous but ij think he takes the sting out the attack by holding on to the ball 10 seconds every time. He is playing well over all but I think room for improvement.
Sean Mc Weeney, seems to be lacking fitness for his role I think the sweeper should be driving out of defence and always offering the overlap but I didn't see this enough v limerick. Also I feel he sat to deep at times he was playing behind the full back and sitting in front of the goalie. IMO the sweeper is there to close space and cut out the early ball in but limericks didn't kick it in early they continually carried it through the centre at pace so I feel Sean should have pushed out and met them around the centre back line and put the pressure on there. I question whether playing the likes of div 4 teams do we need a sweeper as paddy and Michael are very tight man markers. Obviously it's good to have an extra man back but we are looking a good attacking option.

Ray Mulvey was excellent and should continue to run as he has blistering pace with ball in hand.
I think when we have mc govern flynn Sweeney on the team we lack pace I thought they all could have been replaced after 45 minutes like we have quality lads to come on fresh so I think we need to use the bench sooner.
The goalie deserves credit as he pulled of brilliant saves. Yes a few dodgy knockouts but maybe we need to work harder with an extra man back there to give him a short option.
It's great to come on here after 4 wins and with the likelihood of a trip to Croker. The county is buzzing and Carrick will be electric Sunday. I think we haven't played our best yet which is exciting and I still think we haven't started our best 15 but it's been great so far. Keep it up lads

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 282 - 25/02/2019 22:21:27    2168195

Link

Leitrim gaa football team.
Affectionately known as the
Cinderella county (never got to the ball)
Only 3 county's have a 100% success rate in the national league.
Leitrim population 32000
We have defeated
Antrim population 618000
Limerick population 195000
Wexford population 149000
Wicklow population 142000
Other results were favourable for LEITRIM on Sunday.
Bookies are not taking bets on Leitrim been promoted.
Cinderella is going to the ball
From Tullaghan to Dromod hall
Hill 16 awaits, we ain't go to stall.
Must check me car
Change the exhaust
Get a NCT test
Mind you I will only drive to Dromod
as someone told me they have them traffic lights up there.
Sure what I do if I came across one of them.
I have seen them on the telly
Remember in case your looking for Nelson's pillar its gone.
I have been told to bring that sat nav
yoke whatever the it with me. Their filling me head about about it.
I am bringing no mug
I hear on the wireless that their is too many mugging in Dublin
No mug for me I will bring a cup for the tae.
I hear on the wireless that there is drugs in the big smoke that cos problems.
I get drugs from the doctors and it gives me no problem.
Thank God for the wireless that keeps me safe.
Up LEITRIM

Shannonview (Leitrim) - Posts: 44 - 26/02/2019 08:41:17    2168234

Link

I am currently at the shore at Tullaghan which is my home village.
Is it a mirage?
It might be a mirage but I see the waves coming in three's and a greenish colour.
Again I am not in the habit of repeating myself which I forgive myself this once,
Is it a mirage?
Is it div 3 and a county where green is in their colours?
UP LEITRIM

Shannonview (Leitrim) - Posts: 44 - 26/02/2019 11:48:11    2168299

Link

Moving on to this weekend. It won't be a walk over by any stretch of the imagination. London have 8 London born players remarkably. If we can get on top of them early we should be able to see it through.

McKiernan
Flynn McWeeney Paddy
Mulvey Plunkett McWeeney
Moran
Dolan
Quinn Flynn Flanagan
Plunkett Rooney O'Rourke

I'd make two changes from last weekend. Dean McGovern didn't look sharp after missing a lot of training since his concussion and It just didn't work for Evan Sweeney, he's very good on the ball but he lacks height or power so he struggles to win his own ball. Plunkett has had to bide his time but he deserves his shot at this stage. He played around the middle third a lot this year for the Willies so he could drop out infront of O'Rourke and Rooney and play between the lines. Starting Flanagan is the one I'm not sure about, was rumoured that he was going to start last weekend only for going over on his ankle. If he's fit to play he would give an extra physical presence around the middle third which would free up Dolan and Moran to play ball. The question is if he can control his temper as he is no good to anyone on the line. London are always big physical athletes and that's why I'd start him and then bring on McGovern, McGloin, Mulligan etc. to finish the job in the last 25. Feel like Damien Moran might start instead of McGovern though.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 26/02/2019 11:51:19    2168302

Link

Replying To Leitrim1234:  "Moving on to this weekend. It won't be a walk over by any stretch of the imagination. London have 8 London born players remarkably. If we can get on top of them early we should be able to see it through.

McKiernan
Flynn McWeeney Paddy
Mulvey Plunkett McWeeney
Moran
Dolan
Quinn Flynn Flanagan
Plunkett Rooney O'Rourke

I'd make two changes from last weekend. Dean McGovern didn't look sharp after missing a lot of training since his concussion and It just didn't work for Evan Sweeney, he's very good on the ball but he lacks height or power so he struggles to win his own ball. Plunkett has had to bide his time but he deserves his shot at this stage. He played around the middle third a lot this year for the Willies so he could drop out infront of O'Rourke and Rooney and play between the lines. Starting Flanagan is the one I'm not sure about, was rumoured that he was going to start last weekend only for going over on his ankle. If he's fit to play he would give an extra physical presence around the middle third which would free up Dolan and Moran to play ball. The question is if he can control his temper as he is no good to anyone on the line. London are always big physical athletes and that's why I'd start him and then bring on McGovern, McGloin, Mulligan etc. to finish the job in the last 25. Feel like Damien Moran might start instead of McGovern though."
In all of the analysis and proposals for team selection nobody has mentioned young Xconor Cullen. He has been one of the few unused subs in this campaign and would have made an impact if introduced against Limerick where we struggled at midfield and half forward line. Anybody know why he's left on the bench?
With reference to Diarmuid- He saved Leitrim on Saturday and only kicked long when there were no short options. One of the posters rightly pointed out that the backs did not position themselves all the time for the short one. However on the tight pitch Limerick man marked our lads denying quick possession on the kick outs. Iremember only one kick out going out of play. It's obvious Ryan is being targeted. He was double and sometimes triple marked but still managed to hold possession and lay off the ball. He will be a handful against London. Will Jack be back for Derry game and any thoughts on Cathal McCrann bring used as an impact sub in the half forward line? He has a great pair of hands and proven scoring ability. A pity Emlyn is not on earlier-impossible to make an impact in the dying minutes of any game. Great to see him back in the jersey though and still fully committed to the cause.

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 26/02/2019 15:48:46    2168411

Link

Replying To leitrimabu1:  "In all of the analysis and proposals for team selection nobody has mentioned young Xconor Cullen. He has been one of the few unused subs in this campaign and would have made an impact if introduced against Limerick where we struggled at midfield and half forward line. Anybody know why he's left on the bench?
With reference to Diarmuid- He saved Leitrim on Saturday and only kicked long when there were no short options. One of the posters rightly pointed out that the backs did not position themselves all the time for the short one. However on the tight pitch Limerick man marked our lads denying quick possession on the kick outs. Iremember only one kick out going out of play. It's obvious Ryan is being targeted. He was double and sometimes triple marked but still managed to hold possession and lay off the ball. He will be a handful against London. Will Jack be back for Derry game and any thoughts on Cathal McCrann bring used as an impact sub in the half forward line? He has a great pair of hands and proven scoring ability. A pity Emlyn is not on earlier-impossible to make an impact in the dying minutes of any game. Great to see him back in the jersey though and still fully committed to the cause."
Conor Cullen's a good footballer and has a great pair of hands. Think he's going to need another year of a big S&C plan. I think he'd struggle in the middle third with his current power. Would like to see him tested in the last two games if we win on Sunday like a few others. His younger brother Kieran, was left with the U20s this year, I expect everybody to be talking about him this time next year. One of the best young players in our club championship last year.

You must be winding every one up when you say McCrann should be played on the half forward line. Think he will be close to getting our Gk jersey by the championship but he's nowhere near good enough to be an outfield inter-county player especially when you consider the subs to come in.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 26/02/2019 19:01:44    2168480

Link

Replying To Leitrim1234:  "Conor Cullen's a good footballer and has a great pair of hands. Think he's going to need another year of a big S&C plan. I think he'd struggle in the middle third with his current power. Would like to see him tested in the last two games if we win on Sunday like a few others. His younger brother Kieran, was left with the U20s this year, I expect everybody to be talking about him this time next year. One of the best young players in our club championship last year.

You must be winding every one up when you say McCrann should be played on the half forward line. Think he will be close to getting our Gk jersey by the championship but he's nowhere near good enough to be an outfield inter-county player especially when you consider the subs to come in."
Your right on McCrann,no chance he'll get a spot outfield.If we win Sunday he might get a run against Waterford,it would be tough on McKiernan to drop him as the he needs the games to work on his knockouts.

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 143 - 26/02/2019 22:12:00    2168521

Link

Replying To moesyzlack:  "Limerick made it very hard for us.They play with 15 behind the ball.But a wins a win.Whens the last time we won 4 on the trot?"
2002. We rounded off our league campaign with wins over Wicklow, London and Antrim before beating London in the championship. Looks like 5 is our record, done in the 1989/90 and 1990/91 leagues.

Tacaí Liatroma (Leitrim) - Posts: 508 - 27/02/2019 01:12:06    2168552

Link

Does anyone know if the jersey the lads wore on Sunday be going on sale. Lovely looking jersey

MadAboutLeitrim (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 27/02/2019 07:40:54    2168567

Link

The good thing about the fixtures this weekend is that we will know our faith before the game Sunday. Limerick and Wicklow both play Saturday. If any of them drop points on Saturday then a win against London will officially be enough for us to be promoted. Nobody in their wildest dreams could have thought we would be promoted With 2 games to spare. Although the conversation before the league started was that it was going to be very difficult going to Derry if we needed a result. Looks like we won't need one now. I'd give all the lads that haven't seen regular game time so far the chance to play in the last 2 games. Keep the squad competitive.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 146 - 27/02/2019 10:15:39    2168600

Link

Very important to not get ahead of Sunday I think. If we take the eye off the ball here we'll suddenly be looking at the last 2 games with a bit of nervous trepidation, considering we have to go up to Derry. We should have enough for London, but looking purely at their fixtures up to now, the calendar hasn't fallen very well for them and, similar to Antrim, their position probably doesn't reflect how they've been playing. I'd be a bit wary of complacency, but if we can get over the line by hook or by crook all the pressure will be gone and we can look at enjoying the last few games. Heady times to be a Leitrim fan!

MagnumPIG (Leitrim) - Posts: 120 - 01/03/2019 12:25:46    2169120

Link

Best of luck against London lads. Time to make history!

Jack_Goff (Meath) - Posts: 2784 - 01/03/2019 13:31:46    2169151

Link

Derry bet Limerick so we win tomorrow and that's us promted. Simple as that

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 146 - 02/03/2019 14:49:49    2169412

Link

Wexford are beating Wicklow as well so we are basically already in the final with our superior score difference.

MadAboutLeitrim (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 02/03/2019 15:06:53    2169417

Link

Replying To MadAboutLeitrim:  "Wexford are beating Wicklow as well so we are basically already in the final with our superior score difference."
One point from the last three games to be 100% sure . Didn't see Wicklow losing to Wexford , the breaks are falling our way for once. Time to finish the job tomorrow, the very best of luck to the lads.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 356 - 02/03/2019 15:46:16    2169426

Link

I

ABhoysVoice (Leitrim) - Posts: 4 - 02/03/2019 16:24:14    2169434

Link

Derry beat Limerick.
Waterford beat Antrim.
Wexford beat Wicklow.

Derry are now promoted on 10 points, 6 points ahead of 3rd, with only 4 points to play for.

Leitrim have 8 points.

Wicklow, Limerick, Waterford and Wexford now have 4 points, 4 behind Leitrim.

London have 2 points, with Leitrim to play tomorrow.

If London win tomorrow, they also go to 4 points.

All teams need Leitrim to lose tomorrow.

Here are the permutations (stay with me here).

If Leitrim win or draw (in any of their last 3 games), they are promoted.

If Leitrim lose tomorrow, it gives Wicklow, Limerick, Waterford, Wexford and London an outside shot of promotion via a tie on points and how that is worked out for final table position.

All need Leitrim to lose all their remaining 3 games.

Wicklow, Wexford and Limerick need at least 2 teams to finish level on points with Leitrim for scoring difference to be the decider. Otherwise, if only one of those teams tie with Leitrim on points, Leitrim's head to head with them would trump them.

London and Waterford have Leitrim to play. If both of these beat Leitrim, (they still need to win their other remaining games), their head to head would then trump Leitrim, if 1 (and only 1) of these ties with Leitrim on points.
Otherwise it's scoring differences.

All hinges on tomorrow.
Antrim are the only team that are mathematically out of the equation.
All other teams need London to win tomorrow to have the smallest of chances themselves. And it would continue like that for the remaining 2 subsequent games.

So C'MON LEITRIM!! Let's do the business tomorrow!!

ABhoysVoice (Leitrim) - Posts: 4 - 02/03/2019 16:36:24    2169440

Link

Early to bed for Terry and the boys tonight, important game tomorrow. A draw and we are promoted to Division 3. Making the trip from the big smoke so I hope Eddie1 will have the tea and hang sandwiches at the ready. Going to be a great day!

LM4SAM (Leitrim) - Posts: 6 - 02/03/2019 18:24:23    2169468

Link