Leitrim Forum

Division 4 - National League

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Antrim game is going to be very tough. Next 2 games are going to decide where we're at really as you have to expect that Derry will beat everyone even though they have hardly pulled up any trees yet. Not sure about Limerick myself yet. They beat London and Waterford so far. Be interesting to see how they get on in Aughrim on Sunday. Hopefully a huge crowd in attendance for the game this weekend.

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 280 - 08/02/2019 13:13:57    2163450

Link

Replying To harleys:  "I agree, confidence and momentum are huge to have within a young side and it's not often we have it..
I actually think after a tight 25 minutes we may pull away and win well Sunday. I hope I'm not getting ahead of myself I think limerick and Derry are our two biggest challengers for the top two places. Home advantage is huge in the league which is why last weekend was such a big victory. Unlike other years we have about 10 lads on the pitch capable of scoring from play, I would like to see our bench being used sooner I think if we can fit mulligan in the starting 15 I think it will be worth 3/4 points extra a game. I'd say Carrick will be buzzing Sunday hopefully we get a good day and another two points!!"
There's no logic to starting Mulligan when the forwards are racking up such high scores. Everything would have to go through him as in previous years and our attacking play would completely slow down. If it ain't broke why fix it?

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 08/02/2019 21:05:43    2163561

Link

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "There's no logic to starting Mulligan when the forwards are racking up such high scores. Everything would have to go through him as in previous years and our attacking play would completely slow down. If it ain't broke why fix it?"
Ya sure we can keep missing frees !!!! But if aint broke dont fix it .....good advice

coldfeet (Leitrim) - Posts: 53 - 09/02/2019 21:07:34    2163786

Link

Great to get that win today , not playing particularly well in terrible conditions against a strong hard hitting Antrim team we managed to dig out a vital win. We looked in serious trouble after 25 minutes when we were six points down and Antrim were walking through our defence in fact they could have been further ahead at that point , we finished the half well and only 3 down with the wind to come wasn't too bad a position. However despite dominating possession we struggled badly to break down the massed Antrim defence not helped from shooting from bad positions as the wides mounted. In years gone by we would have lost that game for sure but we dug deep and the likes of Darragh Rooney , Mark Plunkett and Flynn and O'Rourke nailed the vital frees under pressure. Winning a tight game in them conditions is better than winning a game easily and will bring this team on a tonne . Limerick next will be another tight one but we'll discuss that closer to the game ,for now we're in a great position , great crowd in Carrick today at least 2000 I'd say .

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 356 - 10/02/2019 18:46:58    2164178

Link

Replying To coldfeet:  "Ya sure we can keep missing frees !!!! But if aint broke dont fix it .....good advice"
We seem to be doing pretty well without major input from him anyway. I didn't know he had a 100% free taking rate, impressive but yet that passed me by

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 10/02/2019 19:09:52    2164198

Link

Replying To green.and.gold:  "Great to get that win today , not playing particularly well in terrible conditions against a strong hard hitting Antrim team we managed to dig out a vital win. We looked in serious trouble after 25 minutes when we were six points down and Antrim were walking through our defence in fact they could have been further ahead at that point , we finished the half well and only 3 down with the wind to come wasn't too bad a position. However despite dominating possession we struggled badly to break down the massed Antrim defence not helped from shooting from bad positions as the wides mounted. In years gone by we would have lost that game for sure but we dug deep and the likes of Darragh Rooney , Mark Plunkett and Flynn and O'Rourke nailed the vital frees under pressure. Winning a tight game in them conditions is better than winning a game easily and will bring this team on a tonne . Limerick next will be another tight one but we'll discuss that closer to the game ,for now we're in a great position , great crowd in Carrick today at least 2000 I'd say ."
Yep, I agree entirely. Great to win ugly. I heard Sean O'Sullivan announce that the Limerick match is in Rathkeale (Sat 23rd). Does anyone know what time?

offyertrolley (Leitrim) - Posts: 124 - 10/02/2019 19:33:00    2164224

Link

Replying To offyertrolley:  "Yep, I agree entirely. Great to win ugly. I heard Sean O'Sullivan announce that the Limerick match is in Rathkeale (Sat 23rd). Does anyone know what time?"
5pm according to the Leitrim GAA website

We were very lucky today. Caught stupidly in possession so many times in the first half and then so many wides in the second half but in fairness to the lads they stuck together for the second week in a row and pulled it out of the fire.

The ref was really bad. For both sides but thought we might have been less sinned against.

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 280 - 10/02/2019 20:38:53    2164263

Link

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "We seem to be doing pretty well without major input from him anyway. I didn't know he had a 100% free taking rate, impressive but yet that passed me by"
I didn't realise 100% free taking either, nor did i say he had a 100% free taking rate , that must of passed you by also

coldfeet (Leitrim) - Posts: 53 - 10/02/2019 21:24:14    2164290

Link

Great atmosphere today and great to get the win. However I think today really showed us we have yet to get our best 15 playing yet. A lot of mistakes made today and we were very lucky at times I thought Rooney was great when he came on, scored 3 from play so should get the nod to start v limerick in my opinion. I can't understand why we hold the ball so much and slow play down out the middle of the field when we have quality fast forwards inside, there was times Ryan was left in one on one yet we don't kick ball in fast also the odd high ball in is no harm too especially when we have big men in the forwards. The only criticism I have of the management is we are very slow to use the bench and we have the quality on the bench so not sure why that is.anyway another great win and another big game in two weeks. We need to beat limerick now as wexford have lost two that rules them out it's between us Derry limericks and wicklow for the top two places

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 281 - 10/02/2019 22:00:51    2164309

Link

Huge 2 points yesterday. Absolutely massive.

I'll get on to my thoughts on the actual game below but first off let me say how pleasing it is to see a Leitrim team pull victory from the jaws of defeat two Sundays on the spin. Shows the team are fit and have an abundance of steel and bottle. No doubt Wicklow and Antrim will both be kicking themselves but I said it last week that in years gone by we were on the wrong end of results like these.

Right as for the game itself. We were poor for large parts. Too many silly turnovers and unforced errors. Antrim brought serious physicality but we all knew that would happen. I think we hit O'Rourke once in the first half and he kicked a point. We didn't utilise him half enough and we're to slow to release the ball into him. Our defence was being opened up and we were lucky not to concede a second goal. Rooney's introduction swung the game for us at a key stage I believe. We were on the ropes under savage pressure and 5/6 points down when he came on but almost immediately he kicked a point and we tagged on another couple and we went in at the break 3 points down. To have a player of his quality to introduce in a game like that is a blessing really. One final point on the first half is that we should have had a goal only for the ref to stupidly bring the ball back for an advantage. An utterly ridiculous decision.

Second half we were on top from the off but were wasteful and our decision making let us down time

juande_ramos (Leitrim) - Posts: 40 - 11/02/2019 07:43:19    2164369

Link

Replying To coldfeet:  "I didn't realise 100% free taking either, nor did i say he had a 100% free taking rate , that must of passed you by also"
Well I don't understand how you'd play someone obviously passed their best for a full game at least when our forward division are doing so well. It would disrupt our play completely, and we can see in the past three games the improvement in our forward play compared to last year for example

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 11/02/2019 08:34:24    2164382

Link

Replying To juande_ramos:  "Huge 2 points yesterday. Absolutely massive.

I'll get on to my thoughts on the actual game below but first off let me say how pleasing it is to see a Leitrim team pull victory from the jaws of defeat two Sundays on the spin. Shows the team are fit and have an abundance of steel and bottle. No doubt Wicklow and Antrim will both be kicking themselves but I said it last week that in years gone by we were on the wrong end of results like these.

Right as for the game itself. We were poor for large parts. Too many silly turnovers and unforced errors. Antrim brought serious physicality but we all knew that would happen. I think we hit O'Rourke once in the first half and he kicked a point. We didn't utilise him half enough and we're to slow to release the ball into him. Our defence was being opened up and we were lucky not to concede a second goal. Rooney's introduction swung the game for us at a key stage I believe. We were on the ropes under savage pressure and 5/6 points down when he came on but almost immediately he kicked a point and we tagged on another couple and we went in at the break 3 points down. To have a player of his quality to introduce in a game like that is a blessing really. One final point on the first half is that we should have had a goal only for the ref to stupidly bring the ball back for an advantage. An utterly ridiculous decision.

Second half we were on top from the off but were wasteful and our decision making let us down time"
Got ahead of myself and hit post!!

Anyway to continue from where I left off.....

And time again. We looked like we were never going to get back on level terms. When we went ahead I thought that was it and we would kick on but fair play to Antrim for continuing to fight although we did shoot ourselves in the foot with some silly errors handing them back possession.

Limerick now in two weeks time and another big test for these mighty bunch of lads. Wicklow did us a favour yesterday and Limerick will have to beat us to stay in it. This could play into our hands as we have the forwards to cause serious damage if they are given the space and the right ball. Our destiny is firmly in our own hands and the finish line is in sight but still work to do.

I do still think 10 points will see us over the line as I can see Wicklow and Limerick losing two more games each.

juande_ramos (Leitrim) - Posts: 40 - 11/02/2019 09:42:26    2164402

Link

An absolute dogfight yesterday. Quality of the game wasn't helped by the weather or the inexperienced Referee but as long as we scraped through it makes no odds.
We learned more about ourselves yesterday than in the other two games combined!

Few things we learned:

Darragh Rooney has to start.
Kick outs need to be worked on.
Mark Plunkett is developing into the leader on this team.
Paddy Maguire is priceless.
We need to introduce subs quicker.
Our shooting and shot selection needs work.
That the fight and heart is back in Leitrim football.

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 11/02/2019 10:18:21    2164425

Link

Shane Moran holding his arm at the end of the match was a bit worrying, hope he's OK. Hopefully lads will start coming back from injury in the next few weeks too, as it'll be all hands to the pumps. 4 games played this year, and 4 times that we left a lot of work to do in the second half, but in fairness to the lads they have each time. But it's not great for the stress levels.

Domhnaill Flynn doesn't get much praise generally, but in fairness to him he nailed those frees yesterday, so fair play to him.

MagnumPIG (Leitrim) - Posts: 120 - 11/02/2019 10:50:25    2164445

Link

What I found encouraging yesterday was after the first 10 mins of the game Antrim were all over us and had a strong wind the Leitrim lads then decided to Make the rest of the half very stop start. They obviously just knew it was a matter of staying in the game till half time. Second half was an improvement although we were wastefull in front of goal. Their seems to be a huge togetherness within this team. Role on Limerick now which will be a huge game. Imagine being able to go down to Derry and play with pure freedom having being promted with 2 games to spare!!!

Yes I'll shut up now I'm getting ahead of myself...

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 146 - 11/02/2019 12:21:59    2164492

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "What I found encouraging yesterday was after the first 10 mins of the game Antrim were all over us and had a strong wind the Leitrim lads then decided to Make the rest of the half very stop start. They obviously just knew it was a matter of staying in the game till half time. Second half was an improvement although we were wastefull in front of goal. Their seems to be a huge togetherness within this team. Role on Limerick now which will be a huge game. Imagine being able to go down to Derry and play with pure freedom having being promted with 2 games to spare!!!

Yes I'll shut up now I'm getting ahead of myself..."
I agree the lads showed fantastic game management to slow the game down in the first half when we were clearly on the ropes.

juande_ramos (Leitrim) - Posts: 40 - 11/02/2019 13:31:17    2164523

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "What I found encouraging yesterday was after the first 10 mins of the game Antrim were all over us and had a strong wind the Leitrim lads then decided to Make the rest of the half very stop start. They obviously just knew it was a matter of staying in the game till half time. Second half was an improvement although we were wastefull in front of goal. Their seems to be a huge togetherness within this team. Role on Limerick now which will be a huge game. Imagine being able to go down to Derry and play with pure freedom having being promted with 2 games to spare!!!

Yes I'll shut up now I'm getting ahead of myself..."
Don't worry Champotime, I think we're all guilty of starting to dream a little. It's no harm. We've been in the doldrums long enough.
There are leaders all over this team. Domhnaill Flynn stepped up yesterday. Nerves of steel. There were Antrim players mouthing at him as he took the free. Didn't phase him one bit.
Yeah we wasted lots but I always felt we'd engineer the chance to win. There's no fear in the team. That alone is huge progress. There were plenty of mistakes but we kept going. We kept wanting to take responsibility. Nobody hid. That's more progress.
If the weather improves and the pitches dry out we'll be able to play football but I don't care how we win as long as we get out of Division 4. Rooney,Heslin and O Rourke will thrive on dry ground. They're the real deal. I'm still trying to get used to the fact that we have forwards that can score.
The support is brilliant to see. I've no doubt the players can sense the optimism amongst the supporters. We'll never get too far ahead of ourselves though. We'll leave that to our neighbour!

ThePowerhouse (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 11/02/2019 19:05:09    2164651

Link

Eddie 1 here

Wasn't that great.

A 'close encounter' .

Meself and herself had an even 'closer encounter' last night.

Keep up the good work lads- your putting us all in a good mood.

I never saw so many people frozen yesterday and still laughing & smiling

Herself like every other Leitrim supporter wants us to go to Limerick for a few days. I don't know if my heart will stand up to it

See you in Limerick

Eddie 1
Up Leitrim

Eddie1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 216 - 11/02/2019 22:18:14    2164707

Link

Great result on Sunday. Passion and workrate will bring you along way to victory when things aren't clicking!
In years past that was exactly the type of game that Leitrim would have lost. Will grow our confidence even further.

Have been saying it for some time now but Rooney will now have to start especially considering he is finished with the Sigerson now.

Agree with previous posters who said we were slow on the line to bring in fresh legs.
Was very surprised McGloin didn't get on. Thought it was an ideal game for him to have an impact on. Game was crying out for Gary Plunketts explosiveness earlier to. Be some battle to get a starting place in that forward unit from now on.

McWeeney and Flynn were tetchy enough in our fullback line yesterday. Thankfully the talk is we will have some of our injured defenders back for the next day which will drive competition.

Limerick in Rathkeale on a tight pitch will be a tuff game! Another 2 weeks training should bring us on further.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 12/02/2019 08:28:57    2164746

Link

Firstly another great result for this team, winning a battle against a more physical team who had some really good players is testament to the resolve of this panel.
Our full back line is becoming a hugely impressive line, they defend well, attack with pace and purpose and have a unity about them.
Our half backline again were so important to us, Ray throughout and Mark in the second half. Quinn played well but that little bit of playacting and stupidity is going to cost the team soon. He just needs to concentrate on the game and leave that crap out. Sean McWeeneys positioning early on left us very exposed and it was clear the contribution he made when he moved back deeper after Antrim's purple patch. Without dwelling much on it Pearse will certainly improve his game the next day, Sunday was one of days where nothing went right for him.
Shane Moran has been tremendous even if he is certain to give the ball away once per game when in good positions but his work rate and attitude is top class and he is becoming an enforcer on the team. Great to see his talent being finally utilized right. Jack was his usual busy self before his injury but Dara was exceptional when he came on. He is sensational and I would hope he can cement his place on the team. Domhnall Flynn is improving game by game, still prone to getting caught in possession but his overall contribution outweighs the negatives. His frees under pressure shows he has the temperament for it. Ryan is a marked man. He did the unselfish thing of creating space inside for others throughout and he puts in a shift in covering back. I suppose we have to work on more ways to ensure he gets more service and quality ball to get the best from him. Evan and Damian has their moments, again they were not given great service so hard to be critical of them and when they did they did quite well with it.
Diarmad could not be blamed for the goal as it was a rocket but his kick outs in the first half were loose, but to his credit he did improve greatly in the second half.
Sean Flanagan, while i've Always admired his doggedness and energy for the Willies, he came on with a bit too much fire when a cool head was required. Needs to realize that county referees don't know him and won't tolerate the stuff he regularly gets away with at club level.
It's really turning into a great time to be a Leitrim supporter. While I expected more to support the lads on Sunday I was delighted with the passion shown by those who attended. The sheer joy at the final whistle was borne out of years of frustration. This team has the spirit and a touch of class that make them easy to like. Roll on limerick. Jerome May order a few buses.....

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 12/02/2019 08:48:18    2164748

Link