Leitrim Forum

Division 4 - National League

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To kazoochka:  "Derry's issues over the county team have really nothing to do with Slaughtneill having long winters. Derry's internal politics have gutted the team of a raft of players who otherwise would probably make them a very decent top of div 2 team"
6 Slaughtneill players started today for Derry and were the stand out players for them.

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 45 - 30/03/2019 18:23:50    2176420

Link

Showed a good account of ourselves today to be fair and our work rate was excellent. Starting Mulligan was a strange and wrong move by Terry.

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 45 - 30/03/2019 18:25:40    2176421

Link

We got a performance from the majority but the mulligan plan backfired, McCrann nothing more than standard goalkeeping duties

Main thing is we are out of div 4

Great support today it's a pity those 4 or 5 who won't commit and would add to this team can't as we would have the best panel in years it's more their loss

Derry were better today but with a bit of luck we might have won

Facts are div 3 2020 next target stay in it

manchesterbhoy (UK) - Posts: 10 - 30/03/2019 20:08:02    2176459

Link

Great performance and proud to be a Leitrim supporter today. Each and everyone of them ran themselves into the ground. Hyland has turned this team around . We are in a good place going into the championship.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 115 - 30/03/2019 22:33:19    2176529

Link

It was great to be at Croke Park today sitting amongst all you jolly Leitrim fans. The game itself was a good clean game with some great scores. Leitrim can be proud of themselves today. Fortunately for Derry Leitrim hit those 8 wides in the first half or it could have been a different story. However, I look forward to meeting youse again in the league next year. By the way had good banter with the lovely Leitrim blonde in section 329 of the Hoganstand.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 30/03/2019 23:03:38    2176538

Link

A paucity of accuracy proved our undoing. Right, Camden Street...

Tacaí Liatroma (Leitrim) - Posts: 508 - 31/03/2019 00:44:44    2176552

Link

Very proud of the lads yesterday they never gave up. They did themselves proud. What a job Terry and his management team have done in a couple of months. Physically were not where we should be but thats no fault to the present set up snd that will come. We played some lovely football at times. Overall Derry were worthy winners. This team deserves great credit for lifting the mood of a county that loves its football!!

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 31/03/2019 10:04:42    2176574

Link

Replying To williesboy:  "6 Slaughtneill players started today for Derry and were the stand out players for them."
7 players I believe. The core of the team, full-back, centre-back and one half of midfield.

Grey_Owl (Leitrim) - Posts: 35 - 31/03/2019 14:48:58    2176631

Link

I wonder what the story is with Gary Plunkett, cant understand how he didn't get on yesterday, scored match winner in Limerick and one of the decisive points in Aughrim too against Wicklow.

Grey_Owl (Leitrim) - Posts: 35 - 31/03/2019 14:53:12    2176635

Link

Replying To Grey_Owl:  "7 players I believe. The core of the team, full-back, centre-back and one half of midfield."
Yes we had a core of Slaughtneil players but let's not be disrespectful to the other Derry players. There was a number of players in the starting 15 who have played for Derry for a number of seasons. Also we had some of our successful minor players from the last number of years.

At the end of the day Derry were more composed and took the majority of our scoring opportunities. Leitrim kicked 8 wides in the first half and to be honest 90% of those wides were very scoreable.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 31/03/2019 15:25:32    2176642

Link

Replying To OakGael:  "Yes we had a core of Slaughtneil players but let's not be disrespectful to the other Derry players. There was a number of players in the starting 15 who have played for Derry for a number of seasons. Also we had some of our successful minor players from the last number of years.

At the end of the day Derry were more composed and took the majority of our scoring opportunities. Leitrim kicked 8 wides in the first half and to be honest 90% of those wides were very scoreable."
I never questioned the other Derry players I just pointed out that there was a strong Slaughtneil representation in the team. I'm not sure how this is disrespectful considering how successful Slaughtneil have been at club level the last number of years.

Grey_Owl (Leitrim) - Posts: 35 - 31/03/2019 18:25:35    2176715

Link

Replying To Grey_Owl:  "I never questioned the other Derry players I just pointed out that there was a strong Slaughtneil representation in the team. I'm not sure how this is disrespectful considering how successful Slaughtneil have been at club level the last number of years."
Don't apologize as we weren't been disrespectful at all and just praising how good they are.

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 45 - 31/03/2019 19:06:53    2176735

Link

Replying To 3rdmidfielder:  "Very proud of the lads yesterday they never gave up. They did themselves proud. What a job Terry and his management team have done in a couple of months. Physically were not where we should be but thats no fault to the present set up snd that will come. We played some lovely football at times. Overall Derry were worthy winners. This team deserves great credit for lifting the mood of a county that loves its football!!"
You must have only started supporting this bunch of players this year because they lifted my mood last year when I traveled to see them beat a very fancied New York in Gaelic Park and I won't forget the joy out on the pitch in Páirc Sean when they beat Louth who are after finishing a very respectable third in Div 3 so I think it's a bit harsh to say Terry Hyland has turned it around in " a couple of months " ! My hope is that they keep improving and continue to lift the mood of the county.

lecture250 (Leitrim) - Posts: 66 - 31/03/2019 19:22:51    2176744

Link

Replying To OakGael:  "Yes we had a core of Slaughtneil players but let's not be disrespectful to the other Derry players. There was a number of players in the starting 15 who have played for Derry for a number of seasons. Also we had some of our successful minor players from the last number of years.

At the end of the day Derry were more composed and took the majority of our scoring opportunities. Leitrim kicked 8 wides in the first half and to be honest 90% of those wides were very scoreable."
I never questioned the other Derry players I just pointed out that there was a strong Slaughtneil representation in the team. I'm not sure how this is disrespectful considering how successful Slaughtneil have been at club level the last number of years.

Grey_Owl (Leitrim) - Posts: 35 - 31/03/2019 19:29:10    2176748

Link

Replying To manchesterbhoy:  "We got a performance from the majority but the mulligan plan backfired, McCrann nothing more than standard goalkeeping duties

Main thing is we are out of div 4

Great support today it's a pity those 4 or 5 who won't commit and would add to this team can't as we would have the best panel in years it's more their loss

Derry were better today but with a bit of luck we might have won

Facts are div 3 2020 next target stay in it"
It was a great day to be in Croke Park yesterday, and the Leitrim supporters were fantastic. Looking at some of the reviews I find it hard to accept that there are some very immature comments. In relation to the match yesterday, Leitrim had nine wides in the first half and should have been ahead at half time. I read some saying Mulligan shouldn't have started. Well over the past few years he was the best free taker in leitrim, and one of the best in the province. I do believe that he would have probably scored the frees that were missed by O Rourke, and Donal Flynn, the latter had a bad day. Taking Mulligan off after scoring a pint and putting Mc Govern through on goals, was a surprise at the time. Then taking off Shane Moran who was winning lots of ball at midfield, and replacing him, backfired. The full back line we're good Paddy Maguire, and Michael Mc Weeney,as was Ray Mulvey in the half back line. Mc Gloin was a loss as he was doing well. I think the management has done a good job, but they have to count their blessings with the results they got over the league campaign. Next up the Rossies and if we can stay within six points of them, it will be looked on as a success for Leitrim and a worry for Roscommon. After that it will be the luck of the draw,

moreinu (Leitrim) - Posts: 10 - 31/03/2019 22:14:57    2176823

Link

To begin with I will just say what a fantastic occasion Saturday was. Great to be there and see your county run out onto Croke Park after 13 long years. Fair play to the people of our county coming out in force and supporting. Was really great to see.

Onto the game. Our wides killed us first half. You cannot kick that amount of wides, it was just criminal. Some of the wides were extremely poor. Regardless of what level you are competing at you will be punished for poor execution.

Derry, while the better side for large parts of the game were 100% for the taking. They were clinical and we were not. We gave Chrissy McKaigue far too much space throughout the game and he was the Derry playmaker. 99% of everything Derry did went through him but we continued to leave him with oceans of space. He was far and away the best player on the pitch. He should have been tagged early every single time. He won't be given that kind of space to orchestrate things against Tyrone in a few weeks. One of the most frustrating things was in the second half McCrann kicked 2/3 balls straight on top of him too.

We looked good anytime we attacked Derry with a bit of pace from the back. Anytime Mulvey, Maguire or McWeeney surged forward Derry looked unable to cope. Similarly when Heslin was introduced and drove at them we looked dangerous and they didn't seem to have an answer. We didn't go at them enough though.

Starting Mulligan and McGloin didn't work out in my view.

Ray Mulvey was our best player. Other standout performers for me on the day were Paddy Maguire, Michael McWeeney and Evan Sweeney. A mention also to Ryan O'Rourke who did a lot of good work also while being double and treble marked at times.

Finally, we had a lot of talk on here about the impact from our bench. I'm not sure any of the subs introduced made much of a difference Saturday bar Heslin & maybe Reynolds who came out from defence with a few balls when introduced.

juande_ramos (Leitrim) - Posts: 40 - 01/04/2019 08:45:01    2176867

Link

Great occasion on Saturday our support was huge and very vocal, done our county proud as did our players. Derry got scores much easier than us , we didn't make use of the wind and was shooting from bad positions under pressure while Derry worked it to there main men McGuigan ,Bradley and Lynn and they done the rest. Derry are just that little bit better and physically stronger than us right now , but we left it all out on the field and what more can you ask for. Hope we give the Roscommon game a good rattle ,perform to our best and see where that takes us.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 356 - 01/04/2019 09:02:41    2176871

Link

Yes I agree with previous poster, Saturday was a great day out and hopefully we won't wait as long again to be back in Croke Pairc.

I don't think we started with our best 15 on the field I think Mc Govern is a mid fielder and when you have him and Flynn in the forward line you lack pace and scoring threat. I think Rooney should have started in the half forward line instead and switched in and out.

We were the underdogs and when you're up against it you must take your chances, the 8/9 wides in the first half were the looking of the game however the 4 frees we kicked wide should be blamed also. At this level you have to kick your frees and Flynn and O Rourke kicked two each wide and that needs to be addrrssed especially when we have an experienced free taker in mulligan on the field.

I do think this team has great potential though, besides Shane Moran they all need to significantly improve their physique. It was like men against boys at times and Derry walked through us to easy. Also we need to manage the game better, foul in the right areas slow the opposition momentum etc.. but this experience should stand to the lads.

Few weeks hard training now and give roscommon a good rattle then realistically let's hole for a few favourable draws in the back door. Hopefully the club scene unear this a few more players t o strengthen the panell and then pre season needs to commence early in preparation for div 3 because if we do a Carlos and come straight down it will be a disaster

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 282 - 01/04/2019 10:21:53    2176896

Link

A few thoughts on the weekend. First off what an occasion. Support was unreal. I'd say it was the heightest standard div 4 final in years. 36 scores in total. Yes the wides killed us early on and just didn't get the the rub of the green with a few high balls that came in. Everything geared towards roscommon now and see can we bridge that gap. We need to put in a huge performance against them as roscommon would be 5-7 points better than anything in div 3. We need to put consistent performances together from now on to be competitive.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 146 - 01/04/2019 12:28:08    2176944

Link

A great occasion and unfortunately one we will be looking back with "what if" in years gone by but if you told me this would be something I would be thinking after the Roscommon game in Pairc Sean last May I would have thought you were playing a late April Fools joke. Great support there that will hopefully all flock to the Hyde on May 12th.

My one point I would say on the performance is that too many times our players waited for the ball rather then attacking it leading to a few turnovers as Derry were attacking everything. Something simple that can be easily ironed out.

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 280 - 01/04/2019 12:51:40    2176956

Link