Leitrim Forum

Division 4 - National League

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

As my old Latin teacher used to say 'a good start is worth two bad starts when you're about to finish' and it is vital that Leitrim has a good start to the game
And if they don't Terry must switch things rapidly because as we sawr Derry can rack up a big score on us.
If some players are found out for being too slow on the fast Croak Park pitch they have to make way, no day for sentimentality when the eyes of the national are on us

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 29/03/2019 09:14:13    2176137

Link

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "As my old Latin teacher used to say 'a good start is worth two bad starts when you're about to finish' and it is vital that Leitrim has a good start to the game
And if they don't Terry must switch things rapidly because as we sawr Derry can rack up a big score on us.
If some players are found out for being too slow on the fast Croak Park pitch they have to make way, no day for sentimentality when the eyes of the national are on us"
I agree with what you say even though it is a little hard to comprehend at times. However I would think sentimentality has already gripped the county selection committee. I find it incredible that players who only started two meaningless league games when promotion was already secured (therefore no pressure) are put in ahead of players who did perform under pressure. I hope Terry Hyland does not live to regret that decision.

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 29/03/2019 10:02:34    2176149

Link

Best of luck to the team and panel tomorrow. I know no member of the panel would be stupid enough to read some of the garbish that has be spoken in this forum since the team was announced.Terry and his experienced selectors picked the best team from training that they feel will beat this Derry team. I hope the game plan goes according to plan and Michael will be bringing the cup across the Shannon tomorrow evening.
The bags are packed and hotel booked. Hope to see a few Leitrim lads and lassies out tonight in Drumcondra. The weekend has begun.

MadAboutLeitrim (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 29/03/2019 11:28:26    2176172

Link

It's clear tashy and spirit of Eslin is the same person, hopefully you only have to buy one ticket to get your split personalities into HQ tomorrow

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 285 - 29/03/2019 11:46:52    2176174

Link

I admire terry for making the changes doesn't mean I agree with them. I see the reason behind them. We struggled with kick outs in the league. McCrann was good against waterford from re-starts. I also think rooney and o Rourke will play inside alone with the hope mulligan can pin point the ball into them. So I see the reason behind the 2 big calls. It Is hard on mckiernan and dolan all the same. My concern is the lack of real pace on the half forward line. If Derry run from deep we could be cut open. I trust terry he's got us promoted so I'm sure he has plans in place and feels this is the best team to get across the line.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 158 - 29/03/2019 11:59:12    2176179

Link

I've a bit of fear for us tomorrow. Derry have been on a mission this year and when you look at the quality of players all over the park it's frightening. Yes they are down in division 4 for a reason but i put that mainly down to Slaugneil doing so well the last few years in the club Championship which has left Derry short. We are very open at the back and teams seem to get in easily for goal chances, i feel Terry will set up more defensively than we have been to try stay in the game for as long as we can and hope we can catch them. Diagonal balls in have caused serious damage so lets hope they have been working at that in training. Best of luck to the team tomorrow and i cant wait for it.

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 59 - 29/03/2019 12:50:58    2176202

Link

Replying To SeanMacDiarmada:  "Mark Plunkett will start centre back with Sean McWeeney as the sweeper. If that happens that pushes Dean McGovern into midfield but you'd also except Flynn to drop back as well. Also leaves us with 4 out and out forwards which is really two more then we normally play. Be surprised if that 15 start but if they do best of luck to them."
Just in relation to the possibility of the named fifteen not starting. Do managers have until 40 minutes before throw-in to name the actual starting line-up?

offyertrolley (Leitrim) - Posts: 128 - 29/03/2019 13:26:22    2176209

Link

Best of luck to Leitrim tomorrow. I hope you have a great day in Croke Park and take the cup back to Lovely Leitrim.

Rossiemad (None) - Posts: 84 - 29/03/2019 13:45:12    2176212

Link

Best of luck Leitrim! Tough task to be fair but enjoy the experience of tomorrow and the Journey that a awaits next year.

theham (Cavan) - Posts: 83 - 29/03/2019 15:41:33    2176237

Link

Replying To williesboy:  "I've a bit of fear for us tomorrow. Derry have been on a mission this year and when you look at the quality of players all over the park it's frightening. Yes they are down in division 4 for a reason but i put that mainly down to Slaugneil doing so well the last few years in the club Championship which has left Derry short. We are very open at the back and teams seem to get in easily for goal chances, i feel Terry will set up more defensively than we have been to try stay in the game for as long as we can and hope we can catch them. Diagonal balls in have caused serious damage so lets hope they have been working at that in training. Best of luck to the team tomorrow and i cant wait for it."
Derry's issues over the county team have really nothing to do with Slaughtneill having long winters. Derry's internal politics have gutted the team of a raft of players who otherwise would probably make them a very decent top of div 2 team

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 29/03/2019 15:56:32    2176240

Link

Replying To leitrim4sam:  "Team is announced. Hyland has made some big calls some i don't agree with certinaly. He has gone with McCrann in goals which is very tough on McKiernan after he plaed in every game up to when promotion was achieved, strting Mark PLunkett in midfield where hasn't played all year, maybe Dean will be midfield and plunlett revert to centreback with Quinn or McWeeney as sweeper. Starting Mulligan again played no games up to after promotion achieved although i do think he adds a lot to the team. No Jack Heslin although maybe he is not fully fit. Darragh Rooney has had limited game time in league although has shown to play well, i would have prefered to see Dolan and Gary Plunkett in the attack for Rooney and Sweeney again very harsh on Dolan for a young playerwho played the whole league to miss out.

Team for final is:

1 Cathal McCrann
2 Aidan Flynn
3 Micheal McWeeney (Captain)
4 Paddy Maguire
5 Sean McWeeney
6 Shane Quinn
7 Raymond Mulvey
8 Mark Plunkett
9 Shane Moran
10 Dean McGovern
11 Emlyn Mulligan
12 Domhnaill Flynn
13 Darragh Rooney
14 Evan Sweeney
15 Ryan O Rourke"
Match Day squad confirmed. Starting 15 will change I think.

Frawnci3 (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 29/03/2019 16:00:54    2176241

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Derry's issues over the county team have really nothing to do with Slaughtneill having long winters. Derry's internal politics have gutted the team of a raft of players who otherwise would probably make them a very decent top of div 2 team"
Was one of the reason and it's s known fact. If your best players aren't available due to club commitments of all Ireland series then you are mistaken. Look at your own county asking Corofin players to tog out against Cavan. You telling me that taking the likes Chrissy McKaigue, Rodgers and Bradley's to name a few isn't going to affect a team staying up or been promoted is madness. It's been well reported on the likes of Galway (Corofin) longford (Mullinalaghta) etc

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 59 - 29/03/2019 16:22:37    2176246

Link

I hope that Leitrim can do a job on Saturday. As a Longford man (who is equally starved of success) it's fantastic to see a county with a limited playing population get the national that they so richly deserve. I'll be watching in Boston and shouting on the your lads. Well done. Enjoy the game.

Goat68 (Longford) - Posts: 19 - 29/03/2019 19:28:24    2176283

Link

Good luck today lads... hup leitrim

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 285 - 30/03/2019 07:10:15    2176335

Link

Best of luck to Leitrim, this is an All Ireland title and grab it with both hands, for the fans roar your hearts out, this is your day, your county, your family and every inch of you is needed to push the team towards success today, best of luck from this Mayo man and safe journey, those driving watch the speed cameras and especially parking in Dublin, a lot of streets around Croke Park is only 1 hour or no parking only on Sundays, safest way is drive to Maynooth and get the Dart train to Drumcondra, pay for parking at the train station, if parking at the hotel and supermarket make sure to buy something in the shop as it's customer parking and clamping could take place

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1389 - 30/03/2019 08:13:47    2176341

Link

The very best of luck to Leitrim team and management today, let's hope they bring back the cup and play with teamwork and not individuality.
Hope all the supporters enjoy the game and represent the county in the best possible way

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 30/03/2019 08:36:07    2176343

Link

The big day is finally here and let's hope it's a great one. The very best of luck to the players and management today , let's make history!

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 367 - 30/03/2019 09:05:34    2176348

Link

Best of luck today.. hope ye get the win

dave1988 (Roscommon) - Posts: 562 - 30/03/2019 11:51:59    2176367

Link

Disappointing result. The team selection didn't work. As I always maintained play your best team that got you there in the first place. Taking wild sideline kicks trying to get the glory isn't how you win finals

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 30/03/2019 16:38:12    2176407

Link

Hard luck Leitrim those wides first half proved very costly. Can't fault the effort or performance levels, this a much improved Leitrim team one the we played the last few years and i expect a good competitive game in Hyde Park on May 12th.

ispeakwisdom (Roscommon) - Posts: 2230 - 30/03/2019 18:00:29    2176418

Link