Leitrim Forum

Division 4 - National League

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

i agree with most positions posted, going to be some very disappointed players that has helped us get here no matter what way Terry lines it out.

one position i dont agree with is our goalkeeper. i think he will start mccrann. i understood the logic of starting him against derry but why start him last week against waterford only one week out from croker if he isnt going to play him in the final.

with that position in particular, you need a player to be sharp, which comes from game time, if i was mckiernan, id be worried.

i might be as far out as a lighthouse, but i expect mccrann to start.

journeyman11 (Leitrim) - Posts: 44 - 28/03/2019 10:53:34    2175986

Link

Team just named for sunday. extremely harsh on McKiernan and Dolan in particular

1 Cathal McCrann Gortleitreach
2 Aidan Flynn Gaeil Liatroma
3 Micheal McWeeney (Captain) Naomh Muire Cill Tochairt
4 Paddy Maguire Naomh Bríd - Baile Átha Cliath
5 Sean McWeeney Achadh na Síleann
6 Shane Quinn Maothail
7 Raymond Mulvey Naomh Muire Cill Tochairt
8 Mark Plunkett Achadh an Mhuilinn
9 Shane Moran Seán Ó hEislin, Béal an Átha Móir
10 Dean McGovern Seán Ó hEislin, Béal an Átha Móir
11 Emlyn Mulligan Gaeil na Meilge
12 Domhnaill Flynn Maothail
13 Darragh Rooney Gaeil na Meilge
14 Evan Sweeney Gleann an Chairthe/Cluainín
15 Ryan O Rourke Naomh Caillin, Fíonach

journeyman11 (Leitrim) - Posts: 44 - 28/03/2019 13:11:12    2176006

Link

Team named:

6 Shane Quinn Maothail

16 Diarmuid McKiernan Gaeil na hAilne
17 Conor Reynolds Eanach Dubh
18 Gary Plunkett Achadh an Mhuilinn
19 Conor Cullen Achadh na Síleann
20 Oisín Madden Maothail
21 Pearce Dolan Achadh an Mhuilinn
22 Cillian McGloin Gaeil na Meilge
23 Damian Moran Barr na Cúile
24 Jack Heslin Gortleitreach
25 Niall Brady Gleann an Chairthe/Cluainín
26 Gary Reynolds Carraig Álainn

Probably be a few changes to the actual team which starts on Saturday i would think

juande_ramos (Leitrim) - Posts: 40 - 28/03/2019 13:32:16    2176014

Link

Team in. A few surprises. Few lads very unlucky to miss out. Anyway best of luck to all the lads egos have to be put to one side and im sure they are, its all about the collective. Leitrim abù.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 28/03/2019 13:38:26    2176016

Link

Good luck Saturday. Wiil be there early hoping yous win. This game will attract a lot of interest among the Donegal fans seeing we border both counties but most of donegal will be rooting for yous on Saturday.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 672 - 28/03/2019 13:39:11    2176017

Link

6 Shane Quinn Maothail

journeyman11 (Leitrim) - Posts: 44 - 28/03/2019 13:44:57    2176019

Link

Team is announced. Hyland has made some big calls some i don't agree with certinaly. He has gone with McCrann in goals which is very tough on McKiernan after he plaed in every game up to when promotion was achieved, strting Mark PLunkett in midfield where hasn't played all year, maybe Dean will be midfield and plunlett revert to centreback with Quinn or McWeeney as sweeper. Starting Mulligan again played no games up to after promotion achieved although i do think he adds a lot to the team. No Jack Heslin although maybe he is not fully fit. Darragh Rooney has had limited game time in league although has shown to play well, i would have prefered to see Dolan and Gary Plunkett in the attack for Rooney and Sweeney again very harsh on Dolan for a young playerwho played the whole league to miss out.

Team for final is:

1 Cathal McCrann
2 Aidan Flynn
3 Micheal McWeeney (Captain)
4 Paddy Maguire
5 Sean McWeeney
6 Shane Quinn
7 Raymond Mulvey
8 Mark Plunkett
9 Shane Moran
10 Dean McGovern
11 Emlyn Mulligan
12 Domhnaill Flynn
13 Darragh Rooney
14 Evan Sweeney
15 Ryan O Rourke

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 430 - 28/03/2019 13:50:46    2176021

Link

Very best of luck to ye Saturday lads. Enjoy the day and occasion and hopefully ye can top it off with the trophy! Good luck

Douglas_44 (Roscommon) - Posts: 105 - 28/03/2019 14:35:36    2176028

Link

Some lads have every right to feel aggrieved at that team selection if it is the one that starts. I always maintained reward the players that got them to the final in the first place and start them.
Now those players parachuted in ahead of them, unless injuries played a part, must play one hell of a game for it not to be remembered as a Hyland Folly

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 28/03/2019 15:02:57    2176033

Link

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "Some lads have every right to feel aggrieved at that team selection if it is the one that starts. I always maintained reward the players that got them to the final in the first place and start them.
Now those players parachuted in ahead of them, unless injuries played a part, must play one hell of a game for it not to be remembered as a Hyland Folly"
SpiritofEslin, you never cease to amaze me with your negativity. No one is being parachuted in anywhere. Its a 26 man panel effort and everybody plays their part. The final selection is with Terry and his selectors, and in fairness he hasn't done much wrong yet. So lets all bask in these glorious times and remember them in years to come like 1994.

Leitrim 'til I die

Forgodssakeref (Leitrim) - Posts: 2 - 28/03/2019 15:25:25    2176040

Link

Replying To Forgodssakeref:  "SpiritofEslin, you never cease to amaze me with your negativity. No one is being parachuted in anywhere. Its a 26 man panel effort and everybody plays their part. The final selection is with Terry and his selectors, and in fairness he hasn't done much wrong yet. So lets all bask in these glorious times and remember them in years to come like 1994.

Leitrim 'til I die"
It isn't negative to disagree with a team selection forgodssakeref, I am giving my opinion as you have just started doing. I'm all about fairness and rewarding players for honesty of effort and moral courage.

Imagine you had played every one of the five games that got Leitrim promoted but you lose your place in the final, are you saying you'd be following the everyone plays their part mantra and not feel slightly upset at being dropped, if you weren't injured? It can unsettle a team.

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 28/03/2019 16:30:31    2176048

Link

Pearce Dolan can jump and field a ball but more importantly he can outfield other players. Very harsh to not start.
Dean McGovern, did I miss something, he must be a lording it in training, what did he do of note all league.
Even Damien Moran done more which wasn't a whole pile.
McCrann? You avin a larf mate. Remember Mayo switching goalies in Croker?
Every manager should take a lesson from that. Big big gamble.
Mulligan lucky to start in Croker.
Maybe Terry wants to finish the match with his strongest team?
Pearce Dolan for McGovern, Heslin in for Mulligan at some stage? Are there injuries we don't know about?

Ludovic_Giuly (Leitrim) - Posts: 107 - 28/03/2019 16:31:54    2176049

Link

A lot of auld rubbish being spouted here lately,Terry has picked a team he thinks will win,a few lads will be disappointed but that's why you have a panel.Hopefully we're in it with 10/15 mins to go as we will have the support of most of the neutrals along with the big Leitrim crowd to push us over the line.Liatroim Abu.

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 153 - 28/03/2019 16:47:25    2176051

Link

I am sure changes will be made come throw in time Saturday both starting personnel and positional. Cannot see us lining out 1-15 as named being honest.

You have to feel for McKiernan if McCrann indeed has got the nod to start. He has done nothing wrong and has played a huge part in getting us promoted. That standout save below in Limerick along with other big saves against Antrim and Wicklow were game changers or match winners in themselves. McCrann only rejoined the panel halfway through the league didn't he? Very very strange call if you ask me.

juande_ramos (Leitrim) - Posts: 40 - 28/03/2019 16:52:17    2176052

Link

Team announced, obvious dissapointment for a few lads but no doubt Terry has picked the side he thinks will win. He hasn't gone too far wrong yet and I'm sure there's going to changes before 3pm Saturday.

Whatever the side it's going to be a fantastic day for Leitrim football and I'm sure this 15 (or whichever one starts on the day) will give us a great shot at winning. Seems to be a lot of moaning about selection two days out, pets wait and see who starts and how we play.

Chipstix (Leitrim) - Posts: 7 - 28/03/2019 17:42:28    2176060

Link

madness starting Mulligan. He will be marked out of the in Croker.

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 58 - 28/03/2019 17:52:30    2176063

Link

I feel for Mc Kiernan but I can see Mc Crann is more vocal and confident in goals and they both have pulled of some serious saves.
Not surprised about Dolan he hasn't impressed me in any of the last few games and he had an absolute howler against Antrim. He will be a great impact sub if we are being out fielded in the middle. I hope the forwards start as named very strong balanced mix in there although I would swap Plunkett for Evan Sweeney. I don't think Sean Mc Weeney will start wing back as he hasn't the pace and he is going to be our sweeper so expect a few changes to the team that's named.

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 285 - 28/03/2019 18:13:59    2176070

Link

Best of luck on Saturday to the leitrim team and supporters. Hopeing to make it in for the second half to cheer ye on, Leitrim by 2 points.

Royal.Legend (Meath) - Posts: 377 - 28/03/2019 19:42:27    2176075

Link

A fascinating selection from Hyland. Some big calls alright. I disagree with the comment that players have been 'parachuted in'. Players have been given opportunities to a greater or lesser extent throughout the campaign. The fifteen selected are there on merit. We all left Carrick last week saying Hyland had some big decisions to make, and it looks like he hasn't shied away from making them. To me It looks as strong a starting line up as we've seen so far this year. If their attitude is right then those dropped from the starting fifteen will be suitably motivated to prove the manager wrong if called upon. I really hope the team plays to its potential and if that's the case then they'll give Derry a good rattle. Hopefully there'll be a huge Leitrim contingent. Best of luck lads.

offyertrolley (Leitrim) - Posts: 128 - 28/03/2019 21:36:00    2176094

Link

Mark Plunkett will start centre back with Sean McWeeney as the sweeper. If that happens that pushes Dean McGovern into midfield but you'd also except Flynn to drop back as well. Also leaves us with 4 out and out forwards which is really two more then we normally play. Be surprised if that 15 start but if they do best of luck to them.

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 281 - 29/03/2019 08:41:49    2176131

Link