Cork
Clare
Louth
Laois
Longford
Carlow
Derry
Leitrim

Some step up but one I have no doubt this group of players will relish. Huge games every week and also long away trips especially if Longford is a home game.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 146 - 04/03/2019 13:54:52    2170112

Link

Well done to all involved. What a difference 12 months make. Promotion secured its important not to rest on our morals. The key development and the catalyst for this promotion was the appointment of Terry Hyland and his backroom team, that spoke volumes appointing a proven manager with a sucessful inter-county career, no disrespect to the previous management set ups but id have been surprised if they got any other county to manage. So we are promoted now we need to get away from the inferior complex of we are only Leitrim, we have the smallest population bla bla bla we must puff out our chests and not accept second best. We have a fine bunch of footballers that will only improve under Terry's guidance. We have a fabulous center of excellence now so we need to get the right structures in place so we can keep bringing young talent through. Lets not accept second best again.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 04/03/2019 16:01:58    2170163

Link

Congrats to the team and management on gaining promotion to div 3 with 2 games to spare. While yesterday was celebrated like it was 1994 again if I was to be honest yesterday the team were poor. Just like Limerick only Aiden Flynn and Ray Mulvey played near their best with Paddy McGuire, Michael McWeeney and Seán McWeeney all coming into it well. Gary scored 2 points but 1-3 from play from our backs against 0-4 from our forwards is not a team that is progressing. Nerves and weather conditions yesterday played their part and to be fair with 15 minutes to go the team did look solid and good enough to see it out.
It's been a great campaign but one has to worry about Ryan's lack of scoring, Darragh's lack of form and in general lack of goal chances since Jack went off against Antrim. We need to remedy this. Derry are beatable and for momentum we should try to win both remaining games giving a few fringe players experience.
Let's all get behind the team in the remaining games and see you all in Croke Park.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 04/03/2019 20:01:24    2170224

Link

Eddie1 here

Croke Park here we come

Meself and herself celebrated last night as if there was no tomorrow
and there wasn't. We slept like babies. I slept so good I had a dream

Last night I had a pleasant dream
I woke up with 'herself'
I dreamt that I was back again
sitting in the Hogan Stand
I cheer on ever Leitrim kick
And Emlyn's last minute goal
To take the Cup to Lovely Leitrim
Where the Shannon waters flow

See you all in Croker

Eddie 1
Up Leitrim

Eddie1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 216 - 04/03/2019 20:25:00    2170234

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "Proud Leitrim man today. Not many occasions I've got to say that. Was a horrible performance against London but all the better. So much to improve on before the final, which is a great position to be in.

It's not many days Leitrim will play being massive favourites and with all eyes on them with an expectant Leitrim crowd. Seems to have got to a few players. O'Rourke had a day to forget but thankfully we no they are few and far between with him.

I thought Paddy was outstanding again. His performances rarely drop below an 8/10. Michael McWeeney also got the better of his man. Mark Plunkett was brilliant defending where he ripped London players from the ball and won turn overs numerous times but strangely going forward he was poor which like O'Rourke won't happen all to often. Quinn and Mulvey are both incredible athletes and improving every game.

Was disappointed they never showed Gary Plunketts spectacular point from under the old stand in the first half on the Sunday Game. Couldn't have been many better points kicked yesterday and I'm not sure if I've seen many better points in Pairc Sean.

Thought our kickout strategy was poor which put us under a lot of needless pressure at times. Will be interesting to see how McCrann does over the next two games.

Frustratingly, and it's through our own tactics at times we lack any player on the half forward line and the gap then between where we build attacks in our defence is too big to our Full Forward line. At times although he kicked a brilliant free Domhnaill Flynn was to lateral or conservative in his passes which allowed London to get bodies behind the ball.

Was good to hear on the radio on the way home that Fergal McTagues Hamstring isn't as bad as first feared and will be in contention by the Waterford game and that Oisin Madden, Noel Plunkett and Jack Heslin will be back for Croke Park. We're missing Heslin in particular. When he's not playing you start to understand why his pace is so important to this team.

After the 'Leitrim wall' is complete Pairc Sean's pitch just has to be redone! It's not up for debate anymore! Look at Roscommon and Cavan with how well their pitches are since they completed them. Would be great if they could somehow have it done for Division 3. Although, financially, I understand that probably won't happen."
Diarmuid McKiernan has been outstanding for Leitrim- he saved us in Aughrim and again in Killmallock. Goalkeeping mistakes are more exposed than outfield players and his kick outs come under huge scrutiny. He gets it right most of the time and only kicks long when no player makes themselves available. London won most of the breaking ball. Where was Leitrims third midfielder to win possession? We gave it away so often yet nobody called to account.On the positive side our defence has grown in confidence especially the full back line - four of London's scores came from frees.Everybody agrees it was a poor game and the post match comments by the London Manager that they should have won doesn't deserve comment!

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 04/03/2019 20:46:22    2170243

Link

Replying To leitrimabu1:  "Diarmuid McKiernan has been outstanding for Leitrim- he saved us in Aughrim and again in Killmallock. Goalkeeping mistakes are more exposed than outfield players and his kick outs come under huge scrutiny. He gets it right most of the time and only kicks long when no player makes themselves available. London won most of the breaking ball. Where was Leitrims third midfielder to win possession? We gave it away so often yet nobody called to account.On the positive side our defence has grown in confidence especially the full back line - four of London's scores came from frees.Everybody agrees it was a poor game and the post match comments by the London Manager that they should have won doesn't deserve comment!"
I would have no problem if Diarmuid continues to be our no.1 keeper. He is a brilliant shot stopper in particular. I would question his decision making choices when it comes to kickouts though, whether that is a management tactic or his own choice I'm not sure. McCrann putting a bit of pressure on him would be no problem and might raise his performances even higher like any other player.

One think I feel we're missing is a link man between attack and defence. Our half forward line was McGovern Flynn and McWeeney (sweeper) and were all playing deep.

Great that we're all here talking about things we can do better after winning 5 games on the bounce. Its exciting going to watch Leitrim play now with O'Rourke, Plunkett, Rooney and Heslin in our forward line!

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 05/03/2019 11:31:02    2170355

Link

Replying To bananapublican:  "Congrats to the team and management on gaining promotion to div 3 with 2 games to spare. While yesterday was celebrated like it was 1994 again if I was to be honest yesterday the team were poor. Just like Limerick only Aiden Flynn and Ray Mulvey played near their best with Paddy McGuire, Michael McWeeney and Seán McWeeney all coming into it well. Gary scored 2 points but 1-3 from play from our backs against 0-4 from our forwards is not a team that is progressing. Nerves and weather conditions yesterday played their part and to be fair with 15 minutes to go the team did look solid and good enough to see it out.
It's been a great campaign but one has to worry about Ryan's lack of scoring, Darragh's lack of form and in general lack of goal chances since Jack went off against Antrim. We need to remedy this. Derry are beatable and for momentum we should try to win both remaining games giving a few fringe players experience.
Let's all get behind the team in the remaining games and see you all in Croke Park."
I don't think anyone really celebrated like it was 1994. The players were delighted to go up but there was a much greater "buzz" from the crowd leaving the other 4 games which was due to the performance. No one is getting too carried away and fully appreciative that a performance like that against Derry will not suffice at all.

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 280 - 05/03/2019 13:37:49    2170387

Link

Will tickets for the game be distributed through the clubs to make it easier for supoorters? Assume every gaa club in leitrim will put on a bus or 2 too bring underage players?

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 146 - 05/03/2019 14:08:43    2170396

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "Will tickets for the game be distributed through the clubs to make it easier for supoorters? Assume every gaa club in leitrim will put on a bus or 2 too bring underage players?"
From what I understand tickets will go on sale on the 25th and will be available through the usual outlets; clubs and Supervalu etc. Seating in Croker is unreserved I think as well, which is probably all the better.

MagnumPIG (Leitrim) - Posts: 120 - 05/03/2019 14:46:51    2170406

Link

Well done to the team and management on gaining promotion with two games to spare, a magnificent achievement. Very poor performance Sunday even allowing for the bad conditions our forward play and decision making on the ball needs to improve and fast because Derry will destroy us on last Sunday's form. Hope fringe players get a good run in last two games but I wouldn't make wholesale changes as we don't want to throw away winning momentum either. Great to have a trip to croke park to look forward to all the sweeter when you consider all the bad days we've had in the last decade especially.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 356 - 05/03/2019 18:22:58    2170451

Link

Replying To green.and.gold:  "Well done to the team and management on gaining promotion with two games to spare, a magnificent achievement. Very poor performance Sunday even allowing for the bad conditions our forward play and decision making on the ball needs to improve and fast because Derry will destroy us on last Sunday's form. Hope fringe players get a good run in last two games but I wouldn't make wholesale changes as we don't want to throw away winning momentum either. Great to have a trip to croke park to look forward to all the sweeter when you consider all the bad days we've had in the last decade especially."
I hear the match is on @ 3.00 pm on Sat March 30th Is that [email protected]

1969LEITRIM (Leitrim) - Posts: 6 - 06/03/2019 11:11:43    2170576

Link

Replying To 1969LEITRIM:  "I hear the match is on @ 3.00 pm on Sat March 30th Is that [email protected]"
It is

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 143 - 07/03/2019 13:33:51    2170851

Link

Replying To moesyzlack:  "It is"
Croke Park still to confirm time. Seems the delayed Hurling fixtures will have an impact on the day. Last years Final was at 3pm hence the assumption.

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 08/03/2019 19:10:13    2171133

Link

No national league hurling finals are played in croke park, although the division 1hurling finals are now pushed back to the same weekend as ours will have no effect on us. No time confirmed yet but based on the last few years the division 4 final has been at 3 o'clock on the Saturday.

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 429 - 08/03/2019 21:57:34    2171160

Link

Eddie 1 here

Don't be worrying about the time of the match .

The weekend of the 30/31st March has been declared a National holiday ( just like Paddy's weekend)
in honour of Leitrim getting to Croke Park.
Monday the 1st April is a bank holiday to allow Leitrim people recover from the weekend.

Come up to Dublin for the weekend, it will be like Pairc Sean on any big match day.
You will know everyone in Dublin that weekend.

See you there

Eddie 1
Up Leitrim

Eddie1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 216 - 09/03/2019 13:28:36    2171241

Link

Replying To Eddie1:  "Eddie 1 here

Don't be worrying about the time of the match .

The weekend of the 30/31st March has been declared a National holiday ( just like Paddy's weekend)
in honour of Leitrim getting to Croke Park.
Monday the 1st April is a bank holiday to allow Leitrim people recover from the weekend.

Come up to Dublin for the weekend, it will be like Pairc Sean on any big match day.
You will know everyone in Dublin that weekend.

See you there

Eddie 1
Up Leitrim"
ah Eddie1 go easy, the liver will be wrecked after the night in HQ
are there any plans for a wee bit of a social evening on the friday prior to the final, some of us exiles arriving early and want to sample the dublin atmosphere the night before we walk down jones road with the flags flying high

manchesterbhoy (UK) - Posts: 10 - 10/03/2019 22:52:15    2171536

Link

https://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/gaelic-games/368976/gaa-make-changes-to-leitrim-s-last-two-league-games.html#.XIYh6CFsyzg.twitter

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 143 - 11/03/2019 08:58:50    2171560

Link

What a great season so far for Leitrim and hopefully it won't stop here.

Huge credit should be given also to Brendan Guckian and his backroom team for blooding in a lot of these new players against the better wishes of some. He should be remembered for his contribution.

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 11/03/2019 13:07:33    2171617

Link

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "What a great season so far for Leitrim and hopefully it won't stop here.

Huge credit should be given also to Brendan Guckian and his backroom team for blooding in a lot of these new players against the better wishes of some. He should be remembered for his contribution."
Better wishes of who exactly? I dunno why some people are being so revisionist all of a sudden.

MagnumPIG (Leitrim) - Posts: 120 - 11/03/2019 14:06:20    2171643

Link

Replying To MagnumPIG:  "Better wishes of who exactly? I dunno why some people are being so revisionist all of a sudden."
There was huge criticism of every facet of his management last year on this forum. Unfairly in my opinion. He has brought players on at u20/21 grade and we can see the proof now of his expertise in this field with a senior promotion.

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 11/03/2019 14:16:19    2171648

Link