Clare Forum

Clare Senior Hurling Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Clareman:  "Clare's full back line did well last year, macinerney nominated for an all star and it was a joke Jack Browne wasn't. Clare's problem is that their half backs are not up to scratch n they cant find a balance in midfield or half forwards so the fullback line is constantly under pressure.

Davy probably felt the sweeper would help but then you lose a forward and Clare's best players are up the pitch so we have to play to our strengths which are to out score teams. The hurling last year and the scores we ran up were miles better than the stuff from 2014-2017.

Daithi Burke is the best full in Ireland but John Conlan scored 5 points of him in Croke Park because galway left too much room in front of him. As I said before, you could have Lohan, JJ and The Rock back there but if they get no protection they will struggle.

The key word for this Clare team and management is balance. Find the right balance and ix. Shane Golden and Diarmuid Ryan can add power, pace n hurling to the middle 8 so it could be the difference.

Clare for me still resemble a talented bunch of hurlers but not necessarily a proper team that can win the big prize, but they are close."
Clareman Conlon is top class but in Burkes defence he played both semis with a broken bone in his leg and Gearoid Mac only played I think 20 mins of the first game.

welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 615 - 17/03/2019 17:31:33    2173134

Link

Replying To welpastit:  "Clareman Conlon is top class but in Burkes defence he played both semis with a broken bone in his leg and Gearoid Mac only played I think 20 mins of the first game."
Well I always think that no injured player should be played before a fit member of the panel and it certainly should not be excused for losing the game after. Remember we had to use three different full backs in last years championship and still won.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 1789 - 17/03/2019 19:02:53    2173173

Link

Disappointing night in Waterford to say the least there wont be any massive expectations this year id say 5 changes to team that drew last time out diden't help without John Conlon we had no real leaders such as the Bennetts Jamie Barron A Gleeson P Mahony Waterford had them in spades.All our main hurlers not hurling to required level Backs are playing it too much from behind and theses referees are blowing for every little thing Cleary was our best back thought that red was harsh enough definatel'y not in his locker, he will be big loss as he has began to hurl a bit, i assume he misses championship match. Jason McCarthy might fill in at centre back if he concentrates on his hurling

At the moment we have injuries to Hayes Golden Conlon and Colm Galvin and with Daid Reidy still not committed to panel.

Some how Tony Kelly will have to find consistency in his game at times amazing to watch then goes missing we need more ball winners in half forward line maybe Guilfoyle but he is very raw looking at times Aron Shanagher was poor also on Saturday.

Waterford looked in great shape freed from sweeper they have some of the best players in the game wont be far away from honours.

Limerick
Waterford
Tipp

look best 3 teams at moment in Munster might be a short Summer for us

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 334 - 19/03/2019 10:15:29    2173618

Link

Replying To clooney:  "Disappointing night in Waterford to say the least there wont be any massive expectations this year id say 5 changes to team that drew last time out diden't help without John Conlon we had no real leaders such as the Bennetts Jamie Barron A Gleeson P Mahony Waterford had them in spades.All our main hurlers not hurling to required level Backs are playing it too much from behind and theses referees are blowing for every little thing Cleary was our best back thought that red was harsh enough definatel'y not in his locker, he will be big loss as he has began to hurl a bit, i assume he misses championship match. Jason McCarthy might fill in at centre back if he concentrates on his hurling

At the moment we have injuries to Hayes Golden Conlon and Colm Galvin and with Daid Reidy still not committed to panel.

Some how Tony Kelly will have to find consistency in his game at times amazing to watch then goes missing we need more ball winners in half forward line maybe Guilfoyle but he is very raw looking at times Aron Shanagher was poor also on Saturday.

Waterford looked in great shape freed from sweeper they have some of the best players in the game wont be far away from honours.

Limerick
Waterford
Tipp

look best 3 teams at moment in Munster might be a short Summer for us"
Cllooney
After almost 60 years watching hurling-never, ever, go on League form.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 1789 - 19/03/2019 10:23:23    2173623

Link

Waterford hammered us, and were missing 4 or 5. Ok we were down 3 or 4 as well, and that wont be our full forward line in the summer, but holy God we were awful.

Once again we got destroyed in the middle area. Destroyed. Clare's half back line is not fit for purpose.

Waterford will be serious contenders this year. Gleeson in the free role is hard to mark, someone like O Brien would have to spend 70 mins just trying to spoil him.

Whilst it is early days, but Clare and Cork look to be in a bit of bother.

Clares key game is round 2 v Tipp. I think it will be very difficult to win in Walsh Park so we must make Ennis the Alamo!!!

Fiar play to the dubs, great win for them. 2 very good semi finals to look forward too, everyone will really fancy it now.

My money is on Galway v Limerick, which could be the main rivalry in hurling over the next few years.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 907 - 19/03/2019 17:27:28    2173751

Link

Not feeling very confident after Saturday, was tough to watch. Dont even feel confident in our 4wards unless Conlon is playing.

Its the same problems every game, silly frees, dangerous puck outs, switching off completely. Forget the problems in defence, if you sort those you have some hope.

I could get slated for this but if Kelly doesn't turn up against Waterford then I'd drop him for Tipp game and bring him on when the game opens up.

My team for may 12th if everyone is fit.

Touhy
O Brien/Hayes Dmac Brown
Morey POC Malone
Galvin Golden
Duggan Kelly Ryan
Galvin Conlon Sod

Ian Galvin roaming out to half 4ward line.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 68 - 19/03/2019 19:18:02    2173779

Link

Replying To clooney:  "Disappointing night in Waterford to say the least there wont be any massive expectations this year id say 5 changes to team that drew last time out diden't help without John Conlon we had no real leaders such as the Bennetts Jamie Barron A Gleeson P Mahony Waterford had them in spades.All our main hurlers not hurling to required level Backs are playing it too much from behind and theses referees are blowing for every little thing Cleary was our best back thought that red was harsh enough definatel'y not in his locker, he will be big loss as he has began to hurl a bit, i assume he misses championship match. Jason McCarthy might fill in at centre back if he concentrates on his hurling

Limerick
Waterford
Tipp

look best 3 teams at moment in Munster might be a short Summer for us"
Have thought since start of year it would be those 3 Clooney. If I have one doubt it's that Aidan Walsh might make a difference for Cork and they would edge out Waterford. It's always v difficult to achieve with a manager in his first year

welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 615 - 19/03/2019 22:18:38    2173820

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Waterford hammered us, and were missing 4 or 5. Ok we were down 3 or 4 as well, and that wont be our full forward line in the summer, but holy God we were awful.

Once again we got destroyed in the middle area. Destroyed. Clare's half back line is not fit for purpose.

Waterford will be serious contenders this year. Gleeson in the free role is hard to mark, someone like O Brien would have to spend 70 mins just trying to spoil him.

Whilst it is early days, but Clare and Cork look to be in a bit of bother.

Clares key game is round 2 v Tipp. I think it will be very difficult to win in Walsh Park so we must make Ennis the Alamo!!!

Fiar play to the dubs, great win for them. 2 very good semi finals to look forward too, everyone will really fancy it now.

My money is on Galway v Limerick, which could be the main rivalry in hurling over the next few years."
True indeed i know hurling has evolved a lot but a dominant half back line is still critical

When ever Clare were good we had great half back lines in 70/80 Loughnane Stack Hehir in 90s Doyle/McMahon/Daly
and even in 2013 Bugler/Ryan/O Connor in fairness I dont think that the Selector has too many options underage for last number of years were poor enough best back I saw over weekend was Shane McNamara Clooney and he is hitting 30

Clare hurling has great spirit thought and if Davy Mac Colm Galvin P Duggan Tony Kelly & John Conlon Pat O Connor play at their best others will follow.

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 334 - 20/03/2019 08:34:08    2173853

Link

Replying To clooney:  "True indeed i know hurling has evolved a lot but a dominant half back line is still critical

When ever Clare were good we had great half back lines in 70/80 Loughnane Stack Hehir in 90s Doyle/McMahon/Daly
and even in 2013 Bugler/Ryan/O Connor in fairness I dont think that the Selector has too many options underage for last number of years were poor enough best back I saw over weekend was Shane McNamara Clooney and he is hitting 30

Clare hurling has great spirit thought and if Davy Mac Colm Galvin P Duggan Tony Kelly & John Conlon Pat O Connor play at their best others will follow."
Dont be so down beat. Clare have just as good a chance this year as anybody. I think it ll be Clare or Waterford,Cork and limerick coming out of Munster. I see Cork beating Tipp well the first day out in Cork and it's a long way back for them then. The draw is kind to Clare after the Waterford game which I think ye might draw. Limerick in Mick Mackeys cabbage patch is winnable aswell.
Your half back line is not great in comparison with the 90s and 70s. Malone and Pat O Connor certainly arent the answer and the likes of Lehane and Harnedy would give them an awful roasting. But theres time to get it sorted out . Up the Banner.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 920 - 21/03/2019 08:49:47    2174114

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Dont be so down beat. Clare have just as good a chance this year as anybody. I think it ll be Clare or Waterford,Cork and limerick coming out of Munster. I see Cork beating Tipp well the first day out in Cork and it's a long way back for them then. The draw is kind to Clare after the Waterford game which I think ye might draw. Limerick in Mick Mackeys cabbage patch is winnable aswell.
Your half back line is not great in comparison with the 90s and 70s. Malone and Pat O Connor certainly arent the answer and the likes of Lehane and Harnedy would give them an awful roasting. But theres time to get it sorted out . Up the Banner."
What is the answer then?.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 68 - 21/03/2019 12:22:00    2174161

Link

Cleary is suspended, shanahan is injured, Diarmuid Ryan and Aidan McCarthy got no game time at 5 or 7 which is odd as both excellent underage players as half backs. As such, our half back line for waterford could be morey, Fitz, and Malone. Very worrying.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 907 - 22/03/2019 11:28:00    2174337

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Cleary is suspended, shanahan is injured, Diarmuid Ryan and Aidan McCarthy got no game time at 5 or 7 which is odd as both excellent underage players as half backs. As such, our half back line for waterford could be morey, Fitz, and Malone. Very worrying."
i felt clare would be one of the 3 to make it out of munster but with that half bk line id be a bit worried....

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 668 - 22/03/2019 14:07:31    2174376

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Cleary is suspended, shanahan is injured, Diarmuid Ryan and Aidan McCarthy got no game time at 5 or 7 which is odd as both excellent underage players as half backs. As such, our half back line for waterford could be morey, Fitz, and Malone. Very worrying."
Management would need to invite JJ Delaney or indeed any KK defender for a few session to learn to defend without rash frees of course we are not the only ones giving frees its part of contact sport some people go on & on about it for them the BBC i think it is do a lovely programme of non contact viewing " dancing on ice" but its the cheap frees that are most frustrating "the spare hand"
Oisin O' Brien is very good at dour defending without giving much away its possible that Conor Cleary will be cleared for championship if not i think that we should look at Jason McCarthy at 6 its time for him to stand up now,
Also because off his height & hurling I hope that David Fitzgerald nails a place good hurler not sure he needs to bomb up the field catch it and give a good pass.

if all available I would go with

Touhy
Seanha Morey or Hayes/ McInerney /Oisin O Brien

Jack Browne/ Conor Cleary /David Fitzgerld

Golden/Galvin

Duggan /Kelly/ Ryan

Shanagher/Conlon/SOD

I would be very close to starting Ian Galvin before Shanagher and Ryan Taylor has pace & touch also to make major impact. Its a pity that Deasy or Guilfoyle dident feature more good ball winners and able to score wonder what Guilfoyle would be like as a back. Both McCarthys have ability and if Cleary out then Jason as i have said might be option at CB

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 334 - 22/03/2019 15:19:07    2174388

Link

yes i would be an asvocate of moving jack out to wing back, but worried full back ine would lose a lot.

Shanagher's hurling needs to improve. His first touch n striking off right is very poor. He is though very strong, good in the air and can finish. I would start galvin n use shanagher as a sub at around the 50 min mark. We will need goals to beat Waterford but i think we can get them if we let it in early to Conlan and Sod. Shanagher against a tired defence is some weapon to have.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 907 - 22/03/2019 15:54:00    2174395

Link

The two managers have been poor this year. The only alternate centre back that has been tried was Galvin. That was just silly. So potentially MaCarthy would be trust into the action, cold. I think Brown and Malone wing back would be a disaster ....David Fitz is very loose aswell but could do a job. I'd play Shanagher every single time...Ian Galvin is a luxury Clare cent afford

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 920 - 22/03/2019 18:03:20    2174417

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "The two managers have been poor this year. The only alternate centre back that has been tried was Galvin. That was just silly. So potentially MaCarthy would be trust into the action, cold. I think Brown and Malone wing back would be a disaster ....David Fitz is very loose aswell but could do a job. I'd play Shanagher every single time...Ian Galvin is a luxury Clare cent afford"
Say what you want about Malone but hes a far better defender than Fitz, no player will get an easy score off Malone. Fitz is not a defender and he is poor in the air for a man his size. I will be disappointed if he starts May 12th, would prefer to see him come on for Malone or Golden with 15 or 20 minutes to go. Why would Brown be a disaster at wing back?

Ian Galvin is probably Clares most accurate 4ward but he might be better off the bench, we wont know til he starts a few championship games.

Shanagher is not a starter either, seen alot of him with club. Hes too easy to mark, only has 1 side and he drops the ball alot when under pressure. Like Clareman said he can do alot of damage when other teams are tired.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 68 - 22/03/2019 20:15:21    2174434

Link