Down Forum

2018 Down Hurling Championships

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To PaudieSull1:  "Clonduff v Warrenpoint - this could be closer than people think, Warrenpoint will not lack for effort and Clonduff have a few injury worries.....with both teams at full strength you would have to fancy Clonduff and they get the nod by 4-5 Pts assuming the Brannigans, Downey, Murnion etc are fit to play......if they are missing a couple of those lads then Point might sneak a win

Shamrocks v Kilclief ......based on league form and how we are playing in recent weeks I would have to back ourselves to come through a real battle by 3-4 Pts.......Kilclief are never easily beaten and Sunday will be no exception but our young lads are starting to mature and I think we have the better spread of hurlers which should see us home

Liatriom v Ballela - with Mal and Ryan in US it's hard to see anything other than a big win for Liatriom......the two Mc Crickard and Oisin upfront could run riot here and really put Ballela to the sword.....

Carryduff v Bredagh - really difficult one to call, Carryduff are keeping their head above water in a very competitive Div 3 in Antrim while Bredagh are running up cricket scores in a weak Div 4.......you would have to say that playing at the higher level should stand to Carryduff but if young Costelleo is fit and available for Bredagh that could make a difference......a hesitant vote to the Duff by two points....."
CLONDUFF vs WARRENPOINT
Clonduff should win this one with room to spare. (Clonduff to win by 8)

BALLELA vs LIATROIM
I expect a comfortable win for Liatroim.
(Liatroim by a least 10 points)

NEWRY SHAMROCKS vs KILCLIEF
Shamrocks are by far the better hurlers in this matchup.
(Shamrocks by 8 points)

BREDAGH vs CARRYDUFF
Not sure about this one, Bredagh have been going well in division 4 as one would expect considering the standard of hurling they've encountered, and Carryduff have struggled in division 3 but playing at a higher grade! I'm hearing Bredagh will be without the skills of young McCartney, who left the squad a number of weeks ago, and as rightly stated before, they will be dependent on some of their young guns to carry the day for them! Carryduff have some fine young hurlers too so a difficult one to call!
A tight game is to be expected (Bredagh to win by 2)

john101 (Down) - Posts: 79 - 01/08/2018 15:23:31    2128279

Link

CLONDUFF vs WARRENPOINT
If Clonduff can keep the discipline they can win the JHC this year and should then be looking to win Ulster. The Point seem to have gone back a wee bit going by league form but I hear they have boys back from America. Clonduff by 3pts.

BALLELA vs LIATROIM
Ballela alway give Liatroim a good battle but with lads away in America I can only see a win for the Fontenoys. They are a very good intermediate team and should win the IHC an move up to senior next year. Need to watch the discipline if they want to progress in Ulster. Liatroim by 15+ pts

Shamrocks are hitting form at the right time an have a good mix of youth an experience. Kilclief rely on Finty and have a few passengers. Shamrocks by 4 pts

BREDAGH vs CARRYDUFF
Carryduff are playing in Div 3 and should have little bother getting past the neighbours from South Belfast. They've got some results recently. Bredagh are in transition with a load of retirements last year. Who is this boy McCartney who left the squad? Never heard of him. Carryduff by 5pts

PORTAFERRY vs BALLYGALGET
I'd expect our lads to have to much for Ballygalget in the reserves. Ports by 3pts

Seannie Og (Down) - Posts: 903 - 02/08/2018 07:33:34    2128402

Link

CLONDUFF vs WARRENPOINT
On the back of good Down league campaign, Point seem to be improved from last few years. I heard Point lost 1 or 2 lads to america in the last fortnight so that will hurt them. Will be a tight affair but would expect Clonduff come out winners by 5pts.

BALLELA vs LIATROIM
Liatroim by 10 pts, too many county standard players to tie down, especially up front.

My favourate for the championship, Shamrocks should win through on this one. Shamrocks by 6 pts.

BREDAGH vs CARRYDUFF
This will be a tight affair but will go for Bredagh marginally, due to some really good young players breaking onto the team. Bredagh by 3 pts.

Hard to call this one as Ballygalget just about won Div2 but big difference in standards between the 2 divisions. Ballygalget by 2pts.

dingle82 (Down) - Posts: 166 - 02/08/2018 11:41:28    2128439

Link

Replying To Seannie Og:  "CLONDUFF vs WARRENPOINT
If Clonduff can keep the discipline they can win the JHC this year and should then be looking to win Ulster. The Point seem to have gone back a wee bit going by league form but I hear they have boys back from America. Clonduff by 3pts.

BALLELA vs LIATROIM
Ballela alway give Liatroim a good battle but with lads away in America I can only see a win for the Fontenoys. They are a very good intermediate team and should win the IHC an move up to senior next year. Need to watch the discipline if they want to progress in Ulster. Liatroim by 15+ pts

Shamrocks are hitting form at the right time an have a good mix of youth an experience. Kilclief rely on Finty and have a few passengers. Shamrocks by 4 pts

BREDAGH vs CARRYDUFF
Carryduff are playing in Div 3 and should have little bother getting past the neighbours from South Belfast. They've got some results recently. Bredagh are in transition with a load of retirements last year. Who is this boy McCartney who left the squad? Never heard of him. Carryduff by 5pts

I'd expect our lads to have to much for Ballygalget in the reserves. Ports by 3pts"
Seanie,
The available players for this Intermediate championship will be dependent on last years senior championship or has that changed?

If that is the case I'd be surprised if Ballygalget can field.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2171 - 02/08/2018 13:24:28    2128473

Link

It's changed. It's now a reserve Championship based on the excluded list. Ballygalget should be ok.

Seannie Og (Down) - Posts: 903 - 02/08/2018 14:40:08    2128504

Link

Liatroim hammered Ballela as everybody predicted. Liatroim will be joining the SHC next year.

Big win for Bredagh over local rivals Carryduff. Well done Simon!

Newry hammered Kilclief and Clonduff got past Warrenpoint in the JHC.

Seannie Og (Down) - Posts: 903 - 05/08/2018 21:23:57    2129671

Link

2018 Down GAA Intermediate Hurling Championship
BREDAGH 0-18 v 1-7 CARRYDUFF
BALLELA CLG 0-7 v 6-24 LIATROIM

Junior Hurling Championship (Group A)
CLONDUFF 2-15 v 2-6 WARRENPOINT
Junior Hurling Championship (Group B)
NEWRY 4-17 v 0-9 KILCLIEF

Was I the only one to tip Bredagh to beat Carryduff..?? Ventured over to Downpatrick today and was a bit disappointed in the standard on show in both games if I am honest. Newry were far too strong for a very poor indisciplined Kilclief side.
Over in Newcastle Liatroim absolutely hammered Ballela while Clonduff are off to a winning start in their JHC group.

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1568 - 05/08/2018 22:20:29    2129722

Link

FIXTURES - Reserve Hurling Championship Monday 6th Aug 2018
7 15 PM Ballycran

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1568 - 05/08/2018 22:21:53    2129723

Link

I didn't get to any of the games. There were other things going on in the town yesterday.

Shamrocks and Clonduff on course to meet in the JHC final then unless we can upset Clonduff. I can't see the Newry men having any bother with Ballyvarley who haven't won all year.

Liatoim will walk the IHC and should give Ulster a rattle. They probably should have been promoted to senior after winning the IHC last year.

What is it with the Carryduff boys? Every time they see a Bredagh jersey they freeze. I reckon that's 3 years in a row they've lost to the neigbours.

Frank Mitchell (Down) - Posts: 1038 - 06/08/2018 08:09:44    2129839

Link

Good win for our lads yesterday, the young lads stood up well to a lot of heavy treatment and just kept hurling.......we hit some poor wides though particularly in the first half but to score 4-17 is good scoring and we move onto the next game in a few weeks.

Couple of lads in Kilclief would need to really look at themselves as they spent the whole game simply trying to hurt lads instead of hurling......

Saw a bit of the Carryduff v Bredagh game and Carryduff seemed to be missing a lot of their best young hurlers, don't know whether that was due to holidays or injuries but it definitely made Bredagh s task easier......

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 612 - 06/08/2018 09:02:55    2129853

Link

Replying To Seannie Og:  "It's changed. It's now a reserve Championship based on the excluded list. Ballygalget should be ok."
Ballygalget will be finding it tough enough to field with several young lads still on holidays and a bad injury to young Prentner in the Snr game v Rossa y'day

downredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 514 - 06/08/2018 10:28:10    2129892

Link

Replying To downredhand:  "Ballygalget will be finding it tough enough to field with several young lads still on holidays and a bad injury to young Prentner in the Snr game v Rossa y'day"
Is Prenter out for the year I hear?

Big blow to Galgets seniors and minors if that is the case!

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2171 - 06/08/2018 12:40:02    2129959

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "Is Prenter out for the year I hear?

Big blow to Galgets seniors and minors if that is the case!"
Yes multiple fracture so looking at 10-12 wka at least...very unfortunate for the young lad, fine hurler and brave as a lion too......hopefully makes full recovery asap......

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 612 - 06/08/2018 13:01:52    2129973

Link

After the first round of matches in the junior and intermediate championships the finalists in both are more or less sorted. junior will see Shamrocks take on south Down rivals Clonduff although if Kilclief stick to hurling they may just make the decider at the expense of the Hilltown men. Immaterial really as Shamrocks are hot favourites for the title.

In intermediate it looks like a repeat of last years final, Liatroim versus Bredagh. Liatriom are the popular choice to win back to back but the Belfast men will also fancy their chances and are never far away at this level.

Sorry to hear of the injury to young Prenter. Serious talent and hopefully he will make a full recovery and get back playing for club and county soon.

down12792 (Down) - Posts: 117 - 06/08/2018 14:15:02    2130028

Link

Great to see the pick of down in the SHC next year.?

Thekid14 (Down) - Posts: 105 - 07/08/2018 00:55:24    2130281

Link

Was in Newcastle and impressed by Liatroim especially having 3 or 4 county standard forwards. However Ballela are only a shadow of the last year's junior champions so wouldn't get too carried away. Be interesting what team Liatroim put out against Bredagh in the group stage, as likely to meet again in the final.

In junior while Clonduff pulled away in the 2nd half, CPN matched them for most of the game but couldn't score in the last 20 minutes. I would expect the semi's be Shamrocks V CPN and Kilclief V Clonduff assuming Castlewellan don't beat Clonduff or CPN.. Shamrocks must be favorite's after the weekend but don't right off Kilclief, as results can be misleading depending on what players were missing at the weekend.

dingle82 (Down) - Posts: 166 - 07/08/2018 10:41:55    2130340

Link

Our seconds had little bother getting past Ballygalget last night. A good team performance from the younger lads. Next up Ballycran.

Will Kilclief be missing lads from the next game due to suspensions? I heard they had 2 sent of on Sunday.

Seannie Og (Down) - Posts: 903 - 07/08/2018 11:57:38    2130375

Link

Betsy Gray Cup Reserve Hurling Championship
PORTAFERRY 3-21 v 2-8 BALLYGALGET

FIXTURES - Monday 20th Aug 2018- 6 45 PM in Ballygalget
BALLYCRAN vs PORTAFERRY

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1568 - 09/08/2018 11:46:28    2131170

Link