Down Forum

2018 Down Hurling Championships

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To bricktop:  "Bookies are never wrong Seannie and yesterday proved that.

You made us sweat for a while with a much improved performance but we were the better team overall.

Slaughtneil up next in two weeks time, probably Armagh if its available and we'll need to throw off the shackles in that game to give them a right rattle.

Now back to bed for a wee while before we go again."
Match vs Slaughtneil has been fixed for the 28th in Corrigan.

cranfanatic (Down) - Posts: 44 - 01/10/2018 14:05:00    2144579

Link

Replying To christy sting:  "No not this year. And they haven't beat Swatragh yet either. Senior championship was Lynches, S'neil, Banagher and Lavey.

The Lynches v S'neil game was a clinker. Big crowd in and Lynches are a coming force again. Young, aggressive and fit."
Screen did play in senior championship this year, as did swatragh. Same as last year when Lavey got to intermediate Ulster final. 2 teams beat in the senior qf drop to intermediate... complete joke

In_da_ditch (UK) - Posts: 88 - 01/10/2018 14:34:17    2144592

Link

Replying To In_da_ditch:  "Screen did play in senior championship this year, as did swatragh. Same as last year when Lavey got to intermediate Ulster final. 2 teams beat in the senior qf drop to intermediate... complete joke"
Not true.

Anyhiw, sure lavey didn't win ulster last year and swa won't this year.

So grading correct I'd say, only 3 Derry teams ulster senior standard atm, slaughtneil, lynches and banagher

christy sting (Derry) - Posts: 235 - 01/10/2018 23:25:46    2144712

Link

Replying To christy sting:  "Not true.

Anyhiw, sure lavey didn't win ulster last year and swa won't this year.

So grading correct I'd say, only 3 Derry teams ulster senior standard atm, slaughtneil, lynches and banagher"
That's not the point, just because you wouldn't win/compete in the ulster senior doesn't mean you start creating grades for teams simply to win an Ulster intermediate or Ulster junior.......that's why I'm not a fan of these junior and intermediate Ulster competitions as the grading is being abused wholesale in some counties ( Kerry at it in junior football as well).........so are you saying there are only three teams that played in the Derry senior hurling league and championship this year, if so fair enough but if not then it's gaming simple as that

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 632 - 02/10/2018 10:49:18    2144737

Link

Congrats to the Crans on their big win on Sunday. Deserved champions having won their 2 group games and then the final where they snatched victory from the jaws of defeat against the Ports. Good luck in Ulster and they'll need it all against Slaughneil the recent kingpins of Ulster hurling. Again this year little between the 3 Ards clubs. If Liatriom keep improving it will make for an interesting 4 team contest next season.

down12792 (Down) - Posts: 120 - 02/10/2018 14:24:18    2144764

Link

Replying To PaudieSull1:  "That's not the point, just because you wouldn't win/compete in the ulster senior doesn't mean you start creating grades for teams simply to win an Ulster intermediate or Ulster junior.......that's why I'm not a fan of these junior and intermediate Ulster competitions as the grading is being abused wholesale in some counties ( Kerry at it in junior football as well).........so are you saying there are only three teams that played in the Derry senior hurling league and championship this year, if so fair enough but if not then it's gaming simple as that"
Senior Championship in Derry this year was;

Slaughtneil
Banagher
Lynches
Lavey

But 3 others ahead of Lavey.

So no gaming involved, btw I have no connection to any of these clubs.

Ulster Senior this year- Loughgeil
Intermediate-St Galls
Junior-Cushendun or Burt

That's my predictions. BTW Cushendun play in same league as intermediate clubs for example and play junior, Burt are Donegal senior champions and play junior, so there is some evidence to support what you say, but id be fairly confident that Derry have their grading right.

christy sting (Derry) - Posts: 235 - 02/10/2018 15:35:00    2144780

Link

So only four clubs in the Derry senior hurling league?

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 632 - 02/10/2018 15:40:32    2144783

Link

Replying To PaudieSull1:  "So only four clubs in the Derry senior hurling league?"
No. But senior league is senior championship. Anyone can choose to play in it, all clubs did except Na Magha. Its the hurling league for men over 17 .

christy sting (Derry) - Posts: 235 - 02/10/2018 16:39:51    2144796

Link

Replying To christy sting:  "No. But senior league is senior championship. Anyone can choose to play in it, all clubs did except Na Magha. Its the hurling league for men over 17 ."
Is not I mean

christy sting (Derry) - Posts: 235 - 02/10/2018 21:49:09    2144853

Link

Replying To christy sting:  "Is not I mean"
Slaughtneil seem to be letting themselves down a bagful the last few nights.

Will this have an impact on their senior hurling preparation?

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2227 - 05/10/2018 11:58:28    2145259

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "Slaughtneil seem to be letting themselves down a bagful the last few nights.

Will this have an impact on their senior hurling preparation?"
I hadn't tipped them this year for Ulster, but I think they will win it now

christy sting (Derry) - Posts: 235 - 06/10/2018 23:31:08    2145397

Link

Good luck to our JHC champions Clonduff on Sunday in Ulster. They take on Naomb Colm Cille in Dungannon at 12.30.
I think they've every chance of progressing. Colm Cilles can't be that strong playing in Antrim Div 4.

Frank Mitchell (Down) - Posts: 1051 - 11/10/2018 09:43:46    2146037

Link

Replying To Frank Mitchell:  "Good luck to our JHC champions Clonduff on Sunday in Ulster. They take on Naomb Colm Cille in Dungannon at 12.30.
I think they've every chance of progressing. Colm Cilles can't be that strong playing in Antrim Div 4."
They beat Bredagh in the very same league.

If our Intermediate finalists were lining out against Clonduff, I'd be expecting a Bredagh win, would we not?

I hope the yella bellies progress but it won't be easy and I'd have Colum Cille as slight favourites.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2227 - 11/10/2018 10:41:31    2146045

Link