National Forum

Munster Hurling Championship 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To perfect10:  "who says munster is more competitive?
wexford,dublin,kilkenny have played games decided by less than a score. both games in munster had bigger margins of defeat.
only offaly have been beaten by more and that could change this weekend.
offaly were only beaten by kilkenny by 3-4 points more than the margin in the two games in munster last weekend.
time to stop believing the hype."
It's not hype really. The results bear it out. Tipp are the form team in Munster the last few year's but since 2010 limerick, waterford and Cork have won Munster finals.
Dublin in 2012? are the only Leinster team to stop the Kilkenny juggernaut.
Excluding Galway the Leinster counties have not been competitive at provincial level.
I know things are evening up a bit but is that more to do with Kilkenny not being as good as they were as any massive improvement out of Leinster counties.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 338 - 25/05/2018 13:32:04    2103779

Link

Replying To skillet:  "It's not hype really. The results bear it out. Tipp are the form team in Munster the last few year's but since 2010 limerick, waterford and Cork have won Munster finals.
Dublin in 2012? are the only Leinster team to stop the Kilkenny juggernaut.
Excluding Galway the Leinster counties have not been competitive at provincial level.
I know things are evening up a bit but is that more to do with Kilkenny not being as good as they were as any massive improvement out of Leinster counties."
but kilkenny also wiped the floor with most of munster in that era....only tipp could topple them at their prime.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 2380 - 25/05/2018 14:40:47    2103787

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "but kilkenny also wiped the floor with most of munster in that era....only tipp could topple them at their prime."
No argument from me there.. They were a beast to come up against. I'm talking provincial hurling, but to be honest this kind of conversation could go round in circles.
Kilkennys dominance made Leinster impossible for the rest of you. Outside of the provinces If it wasn't for them Tipp could have won another 2or3 all Irelands..

All I'm saying is I think the hype as you called it was justified about Munster hurling. It's been very competitive consistently. On a given day any of 5teams could beat each other.

If Kilkenny were here no one might have won a thing for a decade. But ye had the pleasure of their company.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 338 - 25/05/2018 16:18:02    2103806

Link

Question for Limerick posters - where did you get that PeggyShippin fellah?

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4042 - 25/05/2018 16:25:14    2103811

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "but kilkenny also wiped the floor with most of munster in that era....only tipp could topple them at their prime."
Since 2010
Kilkenny were beaten by Cork in 2013, Waterford last year and given good close matches by the same opposition in 2011 and 2016. In 2014 they were held to a draw by Tipp and only beat Limerick by two points at the death, and of course they were comprehensively beaten by Tipp in both 10 and 16. I think your wiping 'the floor remark since 2010' is a bit overblown, while utterly agreeing that for much of the previous decade they did indeed wipe the floor with all comers.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 1453 - 25/05/2018 17:55:43    2103825

Link

What do yez think of the Lein relegation conundrum ? Expand Lein to 6 - and do the same with Muns ? Why not the 6th in both replaced with the Joe Mc Cup Finalists each year ?
And each team plays 3 rather then 4 group matches to allow better spacing of games - say, every 2 weeks, or play 2 every 3 weeks ?

omahant (USA) - Posts: 1139 - 26/05/2018 04:02:45    2103896

Link