Wicklow Forum

Senior Footballers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To hurlingnut:  "Next week we play london. Lose this game and once again we are officialy the worst team in ireland. I had hoped for this year but even though we played better than for a long time we still make no progress. Management wont last much longer if we dont get up to divison 3 next year.
We wont have a hope in lenster and maybe will get a run in the qualifers but thats it another year down the pan. Hope we have a good minors team theyre our only hope."
Sadly I have to agree with you, Hurlingnut. We got by against Waterford and Limerick, as we could possibly expect. Leitrim game was given away. Derry, as I said before, the on paper best team in the division, were , according to accounts beatable on the day. Wexford, arguably in a worse position than us, smacked our little arses, and yesterday Antrim put us in our box as they invariably do. So, it has to be said, we just are not progressing. I have been a supporter of the present manager on this forum since he arrived. The only positive that can be taken from our current situation is our underage set-up. I am not sure how much if any of that can be landed at John Evans' door. So, Hurlingnut, unless our incumbent is part of a five year plan - which we just don't do - I would imagine that he will have a difficulty in getting another year. Is it time to adopt a more long term view to trying to better ourselves?? Is it fair to ask or expect any individual to improve a senior team on the back of so many wasted or neglected years at juvenile level ?? There can be no doubt that the standards at underage are improving but realistically we are 2/4 at least away from reaping this particular harvest. Time to take a long term view ?? After approx 130 years of doing it wrong, what's another few years of waiting ??

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 74 - 17/03/2019 22:49:19    2173264

Link

Having been at some of the matches, there has been some progress. Leitrim match was a killer. Last two games have been a disappointment. I wouldn't be too despondant. Believe it or not Division 4 is a very difficult group to get out of where teams are of equal ability and panel strength are desperate to get promoted.. Agree with previous posts that it will be a couple of year before we see a stronger panel of players emerge and the present younger players to mature. I think this years minor team will bring a little bit of positivity to the fore again. And thank God for that.

61123 (Wicklow) - Posts: 74 - 18/03/2019 12:16:57    2173370

Link

Another league campaign to forget. Very few positives to be taken from it unless I missed something. Management will not be staying after the championship campaign ends and have made this known to county board so search is on already with Kevin O'Brien the leading candidate in many peoples eyes.

heavyheart19 (Wicklow) - Posts: 3 - 18/03/2019 17:43:18    2173464

Link

Commiserations to the schools team on tonight's result. They have done the county proud. Another example of the green shoots at long last stirring round the county. I believe the underage teams from most if not all clubs are improving year by year. In my opinion we are getting back to where we were a few years back - our teams up to u21 could at least compete and our senior team could rattle the Meaths and others. At long last maybe we can look forward with increased confidence.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 74 - 20/03/2019 23:48:14    2174094

Link

i wish wicklow the best of luck this weelk. i am looking forward also to the minor team

lor12 (Wicklow) - Posts: 104 - 23/03/2019 15:11:07    2174521

Link

Well another misrable pitiful preformance over and done with. One thing is obvious is that those playets are not playing for that management. Big deal we are not the official worst team in all the leagues. What did we get today was it 1 or 2 from play. Puke Football and we dont have a freetaker wort a cuss.
Roll on the minors we might get some interesting football from them.

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 204 - 24/03/2019 15:46:52    2174719

Link

wicklow lost against london last year so have improved on last year. look up last years stats. the wicklow people are not supporting wicklow in the senior grade anymore i dont know why because wicklow have been losing matces for a long time . wicklow i think will improve they need to pass the ball better and hold on to the ball . i wish wicklow all the best in the championship . john evans is doing a good job in wicklow i dont agree with some posts on here because a few dont even attend the home matches

lor12 (Wicklow) - Posts: 104 - 24/03/2019 17:38:29    2174804

Link

Replying To lor12:  "wicklow lost against london last year so have improved on last year. look up last years stats. the wicklow people are not supporting wicklow in the senior grade anymore i dont know why because wicklow have been losing matces for a long time . wicklow i think will improve they need to pass the ball better and hold on to the ball . i wish wicklow all the best in the championship . john evans is doing a good job in wicklow i dont agree with some posts on here because a few dont even attend the home matches"
Yes John Evans is doing a great job all right sure his record speaks for itself

dubarra (Wicklow) - Posts: 362 - 24/03/2019 17:55:20    2174819

Link

Replying To dubarra:  "Yes John Evans is doing a great job all right sure his record speaks for itself"
It won't get any easier next year. Carlow and Sligo coming down ??

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 74 - 24/03/2019 18:28:58    2174843

Link

we have to go for 5 or 6 wins next year . we then will improve every year

lor12 (Wicklow) - Posts: 104 - 24/03/2019 22:54:27    2175031

Link

Replying To lor12:  "we have to go for 5 or 6 wins next year . we then will improve every year"
Personally I would prefer to see this yrs minors maintaining their progress and the u20s making some. Whereas promotion would be indeed welcome, promotion in itself would be hollow if we could not sustain it, build on it and move upwards. Tipperary are an example of how difficult it is to hold your position. Cork are in Div 3 next season too so that division will be no walk in the park. I do agree that we have made some progress and as was pointed out in an earlier post Div 4 is as competitive as any, maybe even more so than the others. Cavan are another example of how difficult it is to be competitive in the upper leagues. They won a shed load of Ulster u21s and an All Ireland or two and still found Div 1 too tough. Onwards and upwards.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 74 - 25/03/2019 13:26:50    2175257

Link

You would have to feel for the Wicklow players at the minute. Playing in front of a handful of people again yesterday in Aughrim and with all the effort they put in just two more games for them in 2019.
Far from running them down we should be applauding their commitment. Management looked bereft of ideas and at times a little bored.

heavyheart19 (Wicklow) - Posts: 3 - 25/03/2019 17:23:14    2175366

Link

A disappointing finish to the league considering the promising start we had and the potential it suggested but after our unfortune defeat to Leitim the team seemed to lose heart and drive. As i have said before the big issue facing the team is a lack of genuine scoring forwards. No matter how good players are for their clubs at midfield, defense etc you cannot convert them into natural scoring forwards. They just havent got the mindset or skill to score consistently. The stats from all our league games show a very poor soring average from our forward division and when we take away the scores from frees the stats are even more alarming. The players are doing their best but to be truthful we need true forwards that are used to that position. However have we any outstanding forwards in the county that are willing to commit. Last years minors had natural scoring fowards like Darcy, Quing,and Keogh etc who took on defenders ,could score regularly and knew the best position to be in to take a pass. Until that type of player graces the senior team Im afraid we will languish in division 4

Optimisticobserver (Wicklow) - Posts: 11 - 25/03/2019 20:00:01    2175398

Link

I see manager is promising to look at some league games during April? Is this not something that should be constantly done? Would ig not be better if he was watching championship games?

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 204 - 31/03/2019 14:39:45    2176626

Link