Wicklow Forum

WICKLOW HURLING 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Wicklow really are the most underwhelming gaa county in both codes. Disappointing to see.

[email protected] (Galway) - Posts: 24 - 18/01/2019 18:11:36    2158066

Link

I heard there not committing this year as they didn't want to do the tough slog before Christmas as wanted to come back when it suited them, Fair play to the new Manager and his team for stamping down there rules and sticking by them, he's giving youth a chance also which is encouraging.

brollyboy (Wicklow) - Posts: 117 - 20/01/2019 07:20:23    2158339

Link

Fear of burnout cant be an issue with these absentees considering the small number of games played by our hurlers at both club and county level each year. I would have expected a rush of enthuaism by all the panel with the appointment of a new manager and the prospect of real progress and the chance of developing the squad in a grouping of stronger teams. As usual we shoot ourselves in the foot before any competition begins and then we wonder why we cant make progress . As usual management get all the flack when the real problem lies elsewhere. Frustration doesnt even remotely describe the situation.

Optimisticobserver (Wicklow) - Posts: 7 - 21/01/2019 10:30:07    2158586

Link

Replying To Optimisticobserver:  "Fear of burnout cant be an issue with these absentees considering the small number of games played by our hurlers at both club and county level each year. I would have expected a rush of enthuaism by all the panel with the appointment of a new manager and the prospect of real progress and the chance of developing the squad in a grouping of stronger teams. As usual we shoot ourselves in the foot before any competition begins and then we wonder why we cant make progress . As usual management get all the flack when the real problem lies elsewhere. Frustration doesnt even remotely describe the situation."
I would agree the the general thrust of the above posts, although I'm not sure that anybody is pointing the finger at management in this case. As I said previously, the thing about the boycott is very possibly only a rumour and it's possible the other explanation is more plausible. If that were the case then it's down to players not being prepared to or not buying into the new regime for whatever reason. That is down to personal choice and there is not much management can do about it. Tragic but true. Like it was said, at least young players are getting a chance to mature. The process of improving our standards may take a little longer but I would have belief in the new manager that he can lead us to a stronger position and Ballinakill seems to be improving the standards in our young hurlers as well as our footballers.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 64 - 21/01/2019 22:50:28    2158794

Link

Fear of burnout cant be an issue with these absentees considering the small number of games played by our hurlers at both club and county level each year. I would have expected a rush of enthuaism by all the panel with the appointment of a new manager and the prospect of real progress and the chance of developing the squad in a grouping of stronger teams. As usual we shoot ourselves in the foot before any competition begins and then we wonder why we cant make progress . As usual management get all the flack when the real problem lies elsewhere. Frustration doesnt even remotely describe the situation.

Optimisticobserver (Wicklow) - Posts: 7 - 22/01/2019 00:30:51    2158806

Link

Great win against a tricky fixture away to UK team i went over to the game and was delited with their second half .
Donuhue got 8 points , Boland got 1-4 and henderson came off the bench to get 1-1 staunton got 3 points, kerns got 2 points doyle and moorhouse got 1 each. Still a bit edgy about one or 2 of the team but i think they will improve but think there are a couple of older players beginning to slow down and give away stupid frees and get cards which could be expensive against better teams. Looks like we have found scoring forwards so pats players might have shot their own feet by not coming back. This weekend will make a big difference to the year but i expect a comfortable win over Down. the worry for the year has to be the match v kildare and the other is the match v Derry . I still think we will get promotion this year.

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 179 - 01/02/2019 15:13:18    2161450

Link

Replying To hurlingnut:  "Great win against a tricky fixture away to UK team i went over to the game and was delited with their second half .
Donuhue got 8 points , Boland got 1-4 and henderson came off the bench to get 1-1 staunton got 3 points, kerns got 2 points doyle and moorhouse got 1 each. Still a bit edgy about one or 2 of the team but i think they will improve but think there are a couple of older players beginning to slow down and give away stupid frees and get cards which could be expensive against better teams. Looks like we have found scoring forwards so pats players might have shot their own feet by not coming back. This weekend will make a big difference to the year but i expect a comfortable win over Down. the worry for the year has to be the match v kildare and the other is the match v Derry . I still think we will get promotion this year."
Just scanning through Sunday's team sheet. 1 player from Avondale - Intermediate champs. None from runner ups Rocks. 1 from who I consider to be only barely the second best senior team last year - Carnew. And then whooah - what's this ? 2 from that famous hurling stronghold Annacurra. Rubbed the eyes and double checked that I hadn't got mixed with the footballers but there it is. This Boland can be a decent addition given Ballybodens exploits in Dublin in recent times. Anyway, good luck to them on Sunday. To beat Down would be a good step towards promotion and better times.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 64 - 01/02/2019 22:06:20    2161574

Link

Anybody who goes up from 2b will more than likely be coming straight back down again.

And judging on today's performance it won't be Wicklow.

sponger (Wicklow) - Posts: 2677 - 03/02/2019 18:53:43    2162133

Link

Hurlingnut - you can hardly call Warwickshire "tricky opposition" Kildare 8-19 Warwickshire 0-6 tells its' own story. They must have had Shakespeare and his sister playing.

Wicklowman (Wicklow) - Posts: 1023 - 03/02/2019 19:34:29    2162168

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "Just scanning through Sunday's team sheet. 1 player from Avondale - Intermediate champs. None from runner ups Rocks. 1 from who I consider to be only barely the second best senior team last year - Carnew. And then whooah - what's this ? 2 from that famous hurling stronghold Annacurra. Rubbed the eyes and double checked that I hadn't got mixed with the footballers but there it is. This Boland can be a decent addition given Ballybodens exploits in Dublin in recent times. Anyway, good luck to them on Sunday. To beat Down would be a good step towards promotion and better times."
As far as I know both Annacurra players hurl with Carnew. Biggest issue I can see is that there are no St Pats players and also where is Mikey Lee?

liam500 (Wicklow) - Posts: 77 - 03/02/2019 22:27:00    2162309

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "Just scanning through Sunday's team sheet. 1 player from Avondale - Intermediate champs. None from runner ups Rocks. 1 from who I consider to be only barely the second best senior team last year - Carnew. And then whooah - what's this ? 2 from that famous hurling stronghold Annacurra. Rubbed the eyes and double checked that I hadn't got mixed with the footballers but there it is. This Boland can be a decent addition given Ballybodens exploits in Dublin in recent times. Anyway, good luck to them on Sunday. To beat Down would be a good step towards promotion and better times."
As far as I know both Annacurra players hurl with Carnew. Biggest problem is the lack of St Pats players and also where is Mikey Lee? Look how Carlow are doing with their 4 senior clubs and we have 7....

liam500 (Wicklow) - Posts: 77 - 03/02/2019 22:48:50    2162321

Link

Poor result - will be tough from here on

curnew (Wicklow) - Posts: 440 - 04/02/2019 11:54:24    2162439

Link

Very disappointed with the match yesterday. wicklow never got going and i think the team was very strange decision made by management. why was Kerns in the forward line. he done much better in the second half at midfield. full forward had a stinker in the first and is much better than that. he was stuck to the ground until he was taken off. The year is in real jeprody now and looking at the hiding kildare gave to warwickshire and Derry gave to Donegal we will be under a lot of pressure not to be in relegation trouble. We can still get this together and maybe manager needs to talk to Andy and Miky lee to see if he can get them on board. Chester was massive absence yesterday but we were shocking and if we can't play without him then god help us altogether. Henderson, Kavanagh have nothing to be ashamed about but other senior members of the panel are not firing on all fronts and will need to man up for the next games.

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 179 - 04/02/2019 12:21:45    2162456

Link

Replying To Wicklowman:  "Hurlingnut - you can hardly call Warwickshire "tricky opposition" Kildare 8-19 Warwickshire 0-6 tells its' own story. They must have had Shakespeare and his sister playing."
i was told that warwickshire did not travel to kildare with all their players available. Yes it was a tricky game being the first day out for a new young panel against a team that has been rising up for the last few years. warwickshire were leading in the second half against wicklow when they had a man sent off and the game over done them . they had a man sent off against kildare who is their best player as well.

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 179 - 04/02/2019 12:44:04    2162468

Link

Did I see RENAULT have come onboard as a new sponsor but yet again only for the football teams & yet again not the hurlers ,this is all too common an insult to Hurling in the county which are a better superior team too their Hapless Football counter parts ,

emerald79 (Kilkenny) - Posts: 58 - 08/02/2019 15:37:01    2163484

Link

How are we looking to bounce back and beat Donegal away? 2 losses for Donegal so far. This is a must win for us. Have we any team news?

Wicklowman (Wicklow) - Posts: 1023 - 15/02/2019 16:25:33    2165532

Link

Good win today. I see Andy is back too. At least we'll avoid relegation this year but I think promotion is probably a bit too much to ask at this stage.

liam500 (Wicklow) - Posts: 77 - 17/02/2019 19:01:32    2165935

Link

Very good to get the win away in donegal but some things are not good. we give away too many frees and one or two experienced players who are sloppy and don't have the legss any more are very responsible. our puk outs are still very poor and we need to do a lot of work on that area. Andys back is a bonus but he needs a lot of catching up and he done ok yesterday but is long way off the player he was. Once again some of the older established players not up to the level and one player who is not that long coming back from injury is not at the races all year went off yesterday. Great service over the years but sadly looking like his last outing for a while.he could be joined by one or 2 more sadly. Wicklow used to have a good record over the years in hurling but we have slipped a long way down. we won't be relegated in the league because warwickshire and donegal are below us but we are not good enough to win anything this year. building a new team is not easy but some good young lads coming and the guys who got the goals will be there. hopefully they will and we can see better days. i don't see any hope for us in the games left in the league but we need to try our young players and give them experience.

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 179 - 18/02/2019 12:27:24    2166105

Link

Above poster is right, everybody will beat Donegal and Warwickshire, but the scutching we took at home to Down was very telling.

We also struggled against the 2 weakest teams.

Next 2 games will tell a lot.

sponger (Wicklow) - Posts: 2677 - 18/02/2019 14:20:41    2166139

Link

The most worrying piece is that of the more experienced players who are failing so badly. i don't want to be doing them bad but after a lot of good service they are not firing at all. i know players get injured and it is hard to come back year after year i think we have some good young players there and management is clearly trying to give them their chance. tactics is another area that killed us against Down when we launched pok out time and again over to Kearns who had a good enough game in the second half when he was moved, But when Down copped on that supply stopped being good. keeper is young and needs coaching on better placing the ball and finding players he also needs to think quick on his feet and not have bad mistakes like for the goal against down. he will probably get all that in time. We need lads to take points from outfield as well we seem to be in trouble trying to score from outside the 40. If we dont up the rate we will finally be found out and relegation is a possibility in few years but i don't think we are that bad yet

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 179 - 18/02/2019 15:38:21    2166159

Link