Roscommon Forum

FBD Connacht league 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Not the news we wanted to hear to lose key players but we must move on now with what we got and see where it takes us for the remaining NFL games.

Small enough crowd but expected when both teams played far from full strength teams and this final foolishly played in the middle of NFL. A high scoring entertaining game where the best team won but by god did we make hard work of it. The old heads Sean McDermott,Cathal Cregg led by example. Fintan Cregg still off the pace but he will improve in the weeks and months ahead. Peter Domican,Conor Daly and Ronan Daly put in good shifts Niall Kilroy was probably our hardest working player.

All of our subs did well, Cathal Compton had a good half and hopefully he will get over his injuries now. I thought it was fitting that our top scorer in the FBD this year ended up scoring the winning point to win the match and our first FBD Connacht league title since 2015.

ispeakwisdom (Roscommon) - Posts: 1897 - 18/02/2018 22:01:11    2078140

Link

Replying To moros:  "He's gone now
Best of luck to him...other potential Centre Backs....thoughts????"
Nial daly would be my first choice number 6 but mcstay needs sort the spine of the team our now..we have only four competitive games left and we don't know our best 15.midfield is a massive worry for me and the gk position..would Timothy hold his own at centre back for the year?he played well at times yesterday and then that might leave niall daly move into midfield

dave1988 (Roscommon) - Posts: 377 - 19/02/2018 07:47:15    2078207

Link

Huge loss Sean is best of luck to him he has been playing for Roscommon a year off will do him no harm. I dont think Ross Timothy is the answer to centre back doesnt hold the middle well enough. Do you think any player played themselves off the panel for the year dropping 3 more in a couple of weeks?

Tarismelting22 (Roscommon) - Posts: 259 - 19/02/2018 09:18:55    2078220

Link

Replying To dave1988:  "Nial daly would be my first choice number 6 but mcstay needs sort the spine of the team our now..we have only four competitive games left and we don't know our best 15.midfield is a massive worry for me and the gk position..would Timothy hold his own at centre back for the year?he played well at times yesterday and then that might leave niall daly move into midfield"
Timothy done ok but then again McHugh was probably Galways best player who he was meant be marking.

Cuckoosinging (Roscommon) - Posts: 905 - 19/02/2018 09:28:24    2078227

Link

Replying To Cuckoosinging:  "Timothy done ok but then again McHugh was probably Galways best player who he was meant be marking."
Just listening to shannonside and they said two roscommon players have left the panel. They said niall mcInerney and sean mullooly have left the panel due to exams.i hope that's a mistake.

dave1988 (Roscommon) - Posts: 377 - 19/02/2018 11:19:10    2078271

Link

Replying To dave1988:  "Just listening to shannonside and they said two roscommon players have left the panel. They said niall mcInerney and sean mullooly have left the panel due to exams.i hope that's a mistake."
Not a mistake. Mullooly currently injured is heading to America for the summer. see report on it here http://www.the42.ie/sean-mullooly-roscommon-stepping-away-one-year-gaa-3859126-Feb2018/

McInerney has his final medical exams coming up and has stepped away from the panel until they are over. Will be back for championship

Cuckoosinging (Roscommon) - Posts: 905 - 19/02/2018 12:31:32    2078310

Link

Very entertaining game and it reflected a challenge match at times. Small crowd was not helped by the 15 euro admission fee. Ridiculous and 10 euro would have done. Sean Mullooly is a loss and good luck to him. I don't think he is a 6 in any event and Niall Daly should end up there or John MC.

Not convinced Mcinerney will be back for the championship. Medical exams have a different timetable to other colleges and there may be a practical part to it.

Louth next week is no banker and Roscommon have a poor record in it.

SmokieRoss (Roscommon) - Posts: 92 - 19/02/2018 14:25:03    2078364

Link

Replying To SmokieRoss:  "Very entertaining game and it reflected a challenge match at times. Small crowd was not helped by the 15 euro admission fee. Ridiculous and 10 euro would have done. Sean Mullooly is a loss and good luck to him. I don't think he is a 6 in any event and Niall Daly should end up there or John MC.

Not convinced Mcinerney will be back for the championship. Medical exams have a different timetable to other colleges and there may be a practical part to it.

Louth next week is no banker and Roscommon have a poor record in it."
Yap reports suggest that mcInerney wont be back this year..two of our best most physical defenders gone..but we have ronan daly, conor daly, conor husey, ciaran cafferkey, ros timothy all looking for a starting jersey.

dave1988 (Roscommon) - Posts: 377 - 19/02/2018 15:42:50    2078408

Link

Replying To SmokieRoss:  "Very entertaining game and it reflected a challenge match at times. Small crowd was not helped by the 15 euro admission fee. Ridiculous and 10 euro would have done. Sean Mullooly is a loss and good luck to him. I don't think he is a 6 in any event and Niall Daly should end up there or John MC.

Louth next week is no banker and Roscommon have a poor record in it."
McInerney will be back for the championship. You are the same poster that had himself convinced that Fintan Cregg had left the panel and Diarmuid Murtagh had a serious knee injury. Its no banker next Sunday I agree but our last two visits to Louth we returned home with two wins.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2180 - 19/02/2018 17:13:23    2078453

Link

Replying To dave1988:  "Yap reports suggest that mcInerney wont be back this year..two of our best most physical defenders gone..but we have ronan daly, conor daly, conor husey, ciaran cafferkey, ros timothy all looking for a starting jersey."
McInerney will be back for game v Leitrim or New York in May he will also play for Brigids in their championship games in April i understand so fitness shouldn't be a issue for him when he returns.

ispeakwisdom (Roscommon) - Posts: 1897 - 19/02/2018 17:15:32    2078455

Link

Replying To The_analyser:  "McInerney will be back for the championship. You are the same poster that had himself convinced that Fintan Cregg had left the panel and Diarmuid Murtagh had a serious knee injury. Its no banker next Sunday I agree but our last two visits to Louth we returned home with two wins."
I think you'll find that I hadn't myself convinced of Fintan' s alleged departure as I said I found the rumour very strange. In relation to Diarmuid it was KM who said in a radio interview it was a knee injury and it could be serious and that is why he didn't play for DCU in Sigerson that week. It was also obvious against Tipp that he was carrying some knock but thankfully he appears none the worse for it now.

On Niall Mc the article on the HS website has said he is gone for year and it was also stated by Seamus Duke that he is also gone the full year. I stated speaking from experience that medical exams don't have the same college cycle as most courses do.

SmokieRoss (Roscommon) - Posts: 92 - 20/02/2018 09:39:20    2078639

Link

Replying To SmokieRoss:  "I think you'll find that I hadn't myself convinced of Fintan' s alleged departure as I said I found the rumour very strange. In relation to Diarmuid it was KM who said in a radio interview it was a knee injury and it could be serious and that is why he didn't play for DCU in Sigerson that week. It was also obvious against Tipp that he was carrying some knock but thankfully he appears none the worse for it now.

On Niall Mc the article on the HS website has said he is gone for year and it was also stated by Seamus Duke that he is also gone the full year. I stated speaking from experience that medical exams don't have the same college cycle as most courses do."
If you read the Duke tweet properly it doesn't say that..

spion7 (Roscommon) - Posts: 12 - 20/02/2018 11:32:54    2078680

Link

Kevin McStay confirmed today that Niall McInerney is taking a break, but will return to the panel in plenty of time for the championship. He also delivered the bad news that Brian Stack is ruled out for months with osteitis pubis injury which is another big blow to our league chances. In some good news however the latest injury for Ultan Harney is nothing serious and should see game time in the matches and weeks ahead.

ispeakwisdom (Roscommon) - Posts: 1897 - 20/02/2018 15:24:59    2078759

Link